98.5 Sports Hub Rants

Moderator: Parliament10

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

98.5 Sports Hub Rants 

Post#1 » by sully00 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 12:53 am

I have a long ride home in the afternoons so I get an ear full of their show. It is very staged and myopic but sometimes NPR gets a little boring and I don't have the Slayer or BLS at hand. They both learned at the feet of Ordway and it shoes. They are on this current kick where everyone else that is ready to just go scoreboard and move on from the last two weeks is the Twitterverse and they are legit because they are going to Charles and Diane on this for hour after hour.

Now I have no idea how Tom and Bill get along and don't much care except how it effects the team. That said before the KC game I heard Jonathan Kraft try and explain the cap situation. This was totally lost in the debacle that was the game. The basic idea is that while it looks like the Pats have 11 mil in cap space right now 8 mil of it belongs to Mayo, Wilfork, and Amendola on what are currently "unlikely to be earned" bonus that are in fact very likely to be earned. If they don't account for it this year it comes off next year's cap. This was essentially the motivation for moving Mankins. So the idea that this was saving the Kraft's money is false what it is really doing is stopping the team from dipping into next year's cap for this year's roster.

I didn't love dumping Mankins but this is why it was done and the explanation was broadcast over the Sports Hub. It does not serve their storeyline so Felger and Maz ignore it and continue with this idea that this was all money move for the Krafts instead of actually freeing up money to perhaps keep Revis and or add on for next season. This is the issues that should be hashed through but it goes ignored so we can listen to them babble about how Tom and Bill are Jay-Z and Beyonce and but everyone else is the one on twitter.
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Re: Felger and Maz trying to drive the Hoody/Brady split 

Post#2 » by Tenbomber » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:46 am

I used to watch their show once in awhile....But it got so negative that I just couldn't stand to watch -listen anymore...

Comcast really should think about canning Felger.....

I think Maz might do better if he was minus his overbearing a-hole boss.....

Actually that whole show would be better if some of the help were allowed to have their own mind....

I actually like Mark Bertrand.....I think of all of em, he has the best take on things....He has to kiss butt though if he wants to remain....

Hate that.....

Felger needs to go somewhere else....

Maybe up to Montreal or Toronto? :D
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by sully00 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:52 pm

The worst part is that they are hugely successful so they are going nowhere. It just sucks because it is puddle deep sports talk just like the Big Show was. Any worthwhile analysis is foregone for "hot takes" that generate controversy. It is so painful to listen to Cam Neeley do interviews on the show because you can literally hear him want to punch the two of them in the face during the interview. I suppose it makes compelling radio but is worthless at the same time.
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Post#4 » by Geoffrey P » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:47 pm

The only thing worthwhile is listening to the 20 minute updates if you realize it's at the hour, 20 minutes past the hour, or 20 minutes before the hour.

Or Bedard and Perillo. I don't have much of a problem listening to what they think for 5 minutes.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 98.5 Sports Hub Rants 

Post#5 » by sully00 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:10 pm

I edited the title of this to get into Gary Tanguay and him losing his mind yesterday. Tanguay has gone Mr. negative this season after being overbearingly positive for the past several years on the Patriots Pre and Post game shows. So last week Gresh was trying to make the case even before the game on Thursday that it was survive and move on game that losing your starting RB and best and middle LB on a 3 day turn around could be messy and it was. Sort of out of character from years past Tanguay goes off on how this who the team is and they aren't going to get any better.

Come this Sunday after the win and him getting it from callers and Gresh he goes on and on how they haven't played a good QB, and they are probably going to lose 4 of there next 5, they he would have a different opinion of it if the Bears played better (this one I struggled with as that is what happened with the Jets they played well for the Jets. Then he makes some personal attack at Gresh for being soft since he got married and Gresh takes offense and is about to drop the you have become Mr. Negative since you didn't get the play by play gig and stops himself, and Tanger just kicks that door down himself and basically admits that he is being negative about the team now because he is no longer campaigning for the play by play gig.

It was some of the best inside sports media stuff I have heard, and it just exposed Tanguay as the phony he has always been. It is also worth noting that Gresh took his gig at 98.5 as well so they may not be buddies anyhow.

It would seem like Tanguay must be preparing to leave the pre and post game show and is looking to pivot to be more like Felger and Mazzorati who have been much more successful with their routine than he has been with his pom pom waiving straight guy act.

Good riddance but it was a hilarious meltdown.

Return to New England Patriots