Woj: Pacers make pick swap trade with Nuggets

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,212

Re: Woj: Pacers make pick swap trade with Nuggets 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:57 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I hope we now sell #40 since it’s way out of my useful player range.

But useful range when? 40 and 55 should be used on athletes that need time to develop. I still have hope for Brown who has size and speed and the hope is we find more second round prospects. It's still a crap shoot but cash has zero chance.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Grangerous
Junior
And1: 4

Post#22 » by Grangerous » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:45 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Wait! Just got word that Denver’s pick next year isn’t part of this. It’s just the exact first they just got via trade, so Indy is getting worst of LAC/Utah/Houston/OKC.

So, big win for Indy.

We basically get to “strongly” root against 4 other teams next year now.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 444

Post#23 » by Grang33r » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:06 am

Grangerous wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Wait! Just got word that Denver’s pick next year isn’t part of this. It’s just the exact first they just got via trade, so Indy is getting worst of LAC/Utah/Houston/OKC.

So, big win for Indy.

We basically get to “strongly” root against 4 other teams next year now.

haha yeah, it will be interesting scoreboard watching those teams for sure. Clippers are the best of them all and they're compete wildcard. They might even trade PG away.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#24 » by Pacersike » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:07 am

I don't get it for the Nuggets.

They must have an exaggerated man crush on someone this year.

I get the roster construction difficulties, but I love the move too for the Pacers because there is too much potential here the Nuggets easily gave up on.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,212

Post#25 » by Wizop » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:07 pm

Pacersike wrote:I don't get it for the Nuggets.

think contracts. their starting five is going to be expensive soon so to have a manageable payroll they'll want to fill the bottom of the roster with rookie contracts rather than veteran role players with higher salaries.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,222

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:39 pm

Picks have been updated.

2024 first round draft pick from Oklahoma City, L.A. Clippers, Houston or Utah
Indiana will receive the least / less favorable of Oklahoma City's 2024 1st round pick, the L.A. Clippers' 2024 1st round pick, Houston's 2024 1st round pick protected for selections 1-4 and Utah's 2024 1st round pick protected for selections 1-10 (via L.A. Clippers, Houston and Utah to Oklahoma City to Indiana) [L.A. Clippers-Oklahoma City, 7/10/2019; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/16/2019; Oklahoma City-Utah, 7/30/2021; Oklahoma City-Utah, 1/4/2022; Denver-Indiana-L.A. Lakers-Oklahoma City, 6/23/2023]
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 486

Post#27 » by granger05 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:36 pm

I have a question on the "least favorable" language. Is it the least favorable of the picks that actually convey that season? The Rockets pick is protected 1-4 (becomes a 2025 2nd if not conveyed) and Utah's pick is protected 1-10 (gets kicked down the road a couple seasons with other protections).

Let's say all 4 of Utah, LAC, OKC and Houston end up in the lottery. If they end up in this order:

1) OKC
2) LAC
4) Houston
10) Utah

Do we get the 2nd pick since that's the least favorable of those 2024 picks that conveyed? Or, in that case, do we end up with the OKC 2025 2nd round pick that their protected 1st turned into? Are we guaranteed some first rounder in 2024 or are we just guaranteed the lesser of whatever one of these 4 protected things becomes?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:00 pm

granger05 wrote:I have a question on the "least favorable" language. Is it the least favorable of the picks that actually convey that season? The Rockets pick is protected 1-4 (becomes a 2025 2nd if not conveyed) and Utah's pick is protected 1-10 (gets kicked down the road a couple seasons with other protections).

Let's say all 4 of Utah, LAC, OKC and Houston end up in the lottery. If they end up in this order:

1) OKC
2) LAC
4) Houston
10) Utah

Do we get the 2nd pick since that's the least favorable of those 2024 picks that conveyed? Or, in that case, do we end up with the OKC 2025 2nd round pick that their protected 1st turned into? Are we guaranteed some first rounder in 2024 or are we just guaranteed the lesser of whatever one of these 4 protected things becomes?

Really good question. Those protections you listed, where they could turn into seconds, are protections that were not conveyed along with those picks to us. In essence, those seconds could never be ours.

If the firsts fall into those protected ranges, they simply fall out of the “least of” options. Whatever options are not protected, we would get the least of those. In that specific case you described above, Indy would get the 2nd overall pick from LAC, as the Houston and Utah picks would fall in the protected range, and would not convey. Then, Indy would get the lesser of the OKC and LAC firsts.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,870

Post#29 » by TunaFish » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:26 am

I get the roster construction difficulties, but I love the move too for the Pacers because there is too much potential here the Nuggets easily gave up on.

I think you are correct on the "man crush" as it appears that is exactly what Booth (Denver) is up to in making this trade.
Canned in Denver.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:09 am

TunaFish wrote:

I think you are correct on the "man crush" as it appears that is exactly what Booth (Denver) is up to in making this trade.

Maybe. But they also knew they were going to lose some talent and needed to invest in developing some guys on longer affordable deals. And they needed to now, as opposed to next year or far off in the future.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 486

Post#31 » by granger05 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Really good question.

Yeah, I thought so too. Thanks for clearing it up, I'd been wondering about this since the trade. It's a low probability, but it is fun that there's some real upside that's possible.

Return to Indiana Pacers