Post#1 » by Pacers Forever » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 958

Re: Trailblazers vs Pacers 7pm 11/27 

Post#2 » by Tom White » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:08 am

Down here in Brown County (Nashville) the local cable company is in mid-season form. For the third time (at least the third I'm aware of) already this season they are sending out the wrong Bally feed. So, instead of the Pacer game, locals are being treated to a re-run of a tennis match. Sparklight cable at its best. I guess sometimes hitting yourself in the butt with both hands is difficult.

No surprise though. They have done this for years, and is one reason I gave up on them, years ago.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 752

Post#3 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:10 am

Return of Malcolm Brogdon who will be very active on a rebuilding team. He’s been filling in for injured Anfernee Simons.

Have to stop Brogdon, Grant, Ayton, and some what Sharpe.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,445

Post#4 » by boomershadow » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:22 am

This is not an in season tournament game and its against a team that should be easily beaten theoretically. So count me worried.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:42 am

boomershadow wrote:This is not an in season tournament game and its against a team that should be easily beaten theoretically. So count me worried.

I’m not worried because of Portland’s lack of depth and think the Pacers will be able to wear them down and outscore their second unit.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,445

Post#6 » by boomershadow » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:57 am

Because of a lack of great options for watching the games, I sometimes surf the high seas for video and sometimes just listen to the radio broadcast on 1070 the Fan. (Ive done this for years and do miss Slick being on the show.) I've recently moved to a place where 107.5 doesn't come in very well. I've tried to stream 107.5 online, but it doesn't seem to have the Pacers games on it. Does anyone know where I can stream the Mark Boyle play by play?

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,188

Post#7 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:27 am

First to 120
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#8 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:56 am

Horrible loss. Starting with a lack of energy, poor defense throughout, loss of Stix, 24% from 3.

Actually out rebounded and assisted them. The biggest difference was from 3 going 8-33. That’s 25 wasted shots or scoring attempts and that loses games. Live by the 3 and tonight they died by the 3.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,548

Post#9 » by xBulletproof » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:12 am

The more this season goes on, the more I worry, as Mathurin looks ... regressed, and how it affects the big picture.

Tyrese needs a 2nd star, but he's gotten good enough, the only realistic way you can bottom out again is an injury, which I would never want on my star player. So we come back to needing a star free agent (not great historical odds), hitting on a Paul George or Danny Granger pick in the draft outside of the top 5, or a trade for a star.

I just don't feel any of these happens without some luck, and the odds are tough. We are right where I didn't want to be. We look great when Mathurin, or Turner or anyone else has a standout night with Tyrese. Anytime everyone outside of Tyrese plays average, we are exceedingly beatable, even by bad teams on our own home floor.

Just blah. At this point I'm just hoping Tyrese particular play style brings players here. This team is often fun, but I'm always looking at that next step and how to get there. There just isn't an easy answer at the moment, barring a miraculous turnaround where Mathurin goes back to who he was the first 20 games of his NBA career.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 177

Post#10 » by JMaster5K » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:56 am

xBulletproof wrote: Just blah. At this point I'm just hoping Tyrese particular play style brings players here. This team is often fun, but I'm always looking at that next step and how to get there. There just isn't an easy answer at the moment.

Amen! If we were sitting in a bar,... I'd buy ya a beer, and cheers to our hearts making it through this season, to the better seasons ahead. LOL =]
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:28 pm

I think we let some early season wins go to our head. what record did we expect? I think we were all thinking in the low 40's at best and finishing somewhere in the bottom of the top 11. we're still on track for that. top 5 was an illusion.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#12 » by JMaster5K » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:19 am

Wizop wrote:I think we let some early season wins go to our head. what record did we expect? I think we were all thinking in the low 40's at best and finishing somewhere in the bottom of the top 11. we're still on track for that. top 5 was an illusion.

Going back to the forecast thread, exactly to your point, at the beginning of the season, the bookies were forecasting a 38.5 win season (average of 7 betting books for the over/under line), and we, posters here at RealGM, were forecasting 42 wins. A top 5 finish, even considering where we are at this point, would be a big overachievement.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,548

Post#13 » by xBulletproof » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:09 am

Wizop wrote:I think we let some early season wins go to our head. what record did we expect? I think we were all thinking in the low 40's at best and finishing somewhere in the bottom of the top 11. we're still on track for that. top 5 was an illusion.

Yeah we are on pace for what I expected this year, but I'm looking beyond that. Without Mathurin being a star, our ability to become a real serious contender gets difficult. I would take an even worse result this year, as long as Mathurin looks like a star. The result is a mixed bag short term, some good wins and some bad losses, but Mathurin doesn't look like he fits with Tyrese, or like a star. It's a double whammy on an otherwise acceptable start.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#14 » by JMaster5K » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:34 am

xBulletproof wrote:

Yeah we are on pace for what I expected this year, but I'm looking beyond that. Without Mathurin being a star, our ability to become a real serious contender gets difficult. I would take an even worse result this year, as long as Mathurin looks like a star. The result is a mixed bag short term, some good wins and some bad losses, but Mathurin doesn't look like he fits with Tyrese, or like a star. It's a double whammy on an otherwise acceptable start.

I guess I expected a bit of a step-back from Mathurin this season. Last season, he was what he was. Coach did his best early to put him positions and matchups to show him he can be more than successful. Late last season, Coach started putting him into 'teaching moments'. His performance changed from the additional responsibilities and different matchups.

This year, Mathurin has been asked to expand his skillset. He is taking on a more active role in a larger part of the offense and defense. There is also now, good tape from last year on his strengths and his tendencies. I don't really think he could be a star this year. However, based on what the other players are saying about his work ethic & who he is as a person. I have no doubt that he can develop into a star & primary scorer for a team.

But,... If he gets there, the player that he currently looks like he can be,.. does that fit with Tyrese? Does that fit with this team's vision of who it wants to be? Mathurin is a very 'Carlisle' type player, but that doesn't mean he may be right for the Pacers, now, or for the immediate future.

I think Benn will be a star. Just don't think it will necessarily be with the Pacers. But, how open do you think the Pacers are right now, at looking at other options and trade possibilities? I gotta think, they will take their time. Take a more conservative approach, and see what the TD, off season, and even early part of 24-25 bring, before making any major adjustments?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#15 » by Topofthekey » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:09 pm

xBulletproof wrote:

There's still time, it's still a bit early to say what Mathurin's star potential is

I think the main issue with him right now is the fit. He meshes quite poorly with Brown, I feel. They occupy the same space, and have similar play styles. Brown being the vet is more polished than he is, and consequently Mathurin is the one who disappears a bit when they are both on the floor together

I'd like to see them experiment with him starting and having Brown come off the bench. That'll give us a better look at how Mathurin meshes with Haliburton

I'd also like to see them continue experimenting with the Smith + Jackson combo, but Smith's injured now so that'll have to wait
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#16 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Dec 1, 2023 12:27 am

Best point made above is that the Pacers have a talented but extremely young squad.

The rock and a hard place this season is 9 players consisting of Toppin, Mathurin, Jackson, Smith, Nembhard, Nesmith, and Nwora are all still in their developmental phase. Shepherd and Walker even more so and haven’t broken through yet to warrant more than garbage time minutes.

That leaves Turner, Hield, McConnell, Haliburton, and Brown as the consistent veteran talent whose abilities are established.

So the squad are overachieving early and are very susceptible also to getting outplayed by any team on a given night as we’re witnessing. This is due to our strategy/path to develop our youth into serviceable veteran players.

I am guilty of not wanting to let this process play out when things go bad because I want to win now. A trade or off season FA looks like an easier and quicker fix until the monetary part of the equation is sorted out. Hopefully we get some definitive results this season to make the next move to build a solid contending roster.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 1, 2023 12:58 am

Pacers Forever wrote:That leaves Turner, Hield, McConnell, Haliburton, and Brown as the consistent veteran talent whose abilities are established.

And Nesmith

Return to Indiana Pacers