Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,186

Re: Moving Forward into 2023 & beyond? 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:24 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Yeah. I'm not saying that we shouldn't hope he sticks around. We should hope that. He's a good player and invested in Indiana. I'm just saying we shouldn't assume he will be here more than 2 more seasons. That's all.

Yup, I am right there with you. I do think that after this season, there may be a few 'big' decisions to be made,... (sorry about the pun,.... :o :clown: )

It wouldn't be all that surprising if Stix showed up ready to prove he is the future at the 5? He is just 23 this year. The most common comp for him prior to his draft was Myles. :D He hasn't grown as much as Myles did coming into the league (physically), but his game is very similar to Myles at the same age with a bit more focus on offense vs defense. He's at that point where a bit of mentoring from Myles could really pay off. I-Jacks seemed to play much more intuitively during summer league this year. Or,... everything could just hang, 'status quo'. Going to be fun to see what happens. =]

Yup. Really hoping that either or both of Jackson and Smith show us they can contribute here, or prove to the market they can contribute elsewhere if a Myles Turner isn’t in front of them?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,188

Post#22 » by Wizop » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Yup. Really hoping that either or both of Jackson and Smith show us they can contribute here, or prove to the market they can contribute elsewhere if a Myles Turner isn’t in front of them?

if not, Theis can and both Toppin and Walker can probably play some small ball 5.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#23 » by SmashMouthRod » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:19 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:Im hoping that the franchise is monitoring the Ant Edwards situation closely. After hearing how close he and Tyrese is he could be a potential add in a cpuple seasons through trade or free agency. The stars like playing with their friends these days. Thats something to try and take advantage of. In the meantime monitoring young players who are on the same timeline is the way to go. This roster needs to strike gold on a good young forward with star potential. I personally believe if they surround Myles Buddy and Tyrese with three and D forwards; with good length its a playoff team right away.

What’s the Ant Edwards situation? He already extended for an additional 5 years on the Haliburton contract.

Whats the upside of that roster? Whats the likelihood of them being a contender in the next two to three years? Two to three more first round exits. There will be a situation surrounding him at some point. I get that Indy will likely steer clear of it with the potential asking price being something crazy by then. But my point being many GM's plan for stars becoming available years in advance.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:34 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:Im hoping that the franchise is monitoring the Ant Edwards situation closely. After hearing how close he and Tyrese is he could be a potential add in a cpuple seasons through trade or free agency. The stars like playing with their friends these days. Thats something to try and take advantage of. In the meantime monitoring young players who are on the same timeline is the way to go. This roster needs to strike gold on a good young forward with star potential. I personally believe if they surround Myles Buddy and Tyrese with three and D forwards; with good length its a playoff team right away.

What’s the Ant Edwards situation? He already extended for an additional 5 years on the Haliburton contract.

Whats the upside of that roster? Whats the likelihood of them being a contender in the next two to three years? Two to three more first round exits. There will be a situation surrounding him at some point. I get that Indy will likely steer clear of it with the potential asking price being something crazy by then. But my point being many GM's plan for stars becoming available years in advance.

Oh. So there's not an Ant Edwards situation to monitor. You're just hoping that one day there may be and that Indy then jumps in?

If there is one in the future, I'm sure Indy will pop in and check in, unless they've somehow developed their 2 guard "of the future". :dontknow:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#25 » by Topofthekey » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:49 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:[
Cool,.. I hear ya. Yeah,.. I agree, it would be really nice to keep Myles for more than the next couple. I still believe he has some growth left in him. His first couple of years were a bit of role confusion. He really is a pretty 'low mileage' player for his age & experience. I just don't see that many players already in the NBA that you could use as a 'plug & play' replacement for him?

But your point is well made. We can't just plan on him being here. We do need options because, as you pointed out, someone could just throw an unbelievable bag at him. LOL :) I definitely wouldn't feel bad if they did. :)

He will be a UFA Summer of 25. We will just have to hope that he and the team work things out, or that another option comes into view.

LOL - just looked on Spotrac. Our list of FA come the summer of 25 (with QO's).

Bruce Brown Jr. SG - $34,573,170 Early Bird
Myles Turner C - $29,892,750 Bird
Daniel Theis C - $18,092,568 Bird
T.J. McConnell PG - $17,670,000 Bird
Isaiah Jackson PF $6,422,432 $13,306,143 Restricted Bird
Jalen Smith PF - $10,293,033 Bird

Hmmmmm,... the 2024 draft isn't strong, but 2024 and 2025 do have a few credible bigs between them,... =)

Yeah. I'm not saying that we shouldn't hope he sticks around. We should hope that. He's a good player and invested in Indiana. I'm just saying we shouldn't assume he will be here more than 2 more seasons. That's all.

On the bright side, he'll be 29 when he becomes a free agent. He'll still get paid, but the chances of some team throwing a big/dumb contract at him will hopefully be slightly lower
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:32 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:[
Cool,.. I hear ya. Yeah,.. I agree, it would be really nice to keep Myles for more than the next couple. I still believe he has some growth left in him. His first couple of years were a bit of role confusion. He really is a pretty 'low mileage' player for his age & experience. I just don't see that many players already in the NBA that you could use as a 'plug & play' replacement for him?

But your point is well made. We can't just plan on him being here. We do need options because, as you pointed out, someone could just throw an unbelievable bag at him. LOL :) I definitely wouldn't feel bad if they did. :)

He will be a UFA Summer of 25. We will just have to hope that he and the team work things out, or that another option comes into view.

LOL - just looked on Spotrac. Our list of FA come the summer of 25 (with QO's).

Bruce Brown Jr. SG - $34,573,170 Early Bird
Myles Turner C - $29,892,750 Bird
Daniel Theis C - $18,092,568 Bird
T.J. McConnell PG - $17,670,000 Bird
Isaiah Jackson PF $6,422,432 $13,306,143 Restricted Bird
Jalen Smith PF - $10,293,033 Bird

Hmmmmm,... the 2024 draft isn't strong, but 2024 and 2025 do have a few credible bigs between them,... =)

Yeah. I'm not saying that we shouldn't hope he sticks around. We should hope that. He's a good player and invested in Indiana. I'm just saying we shouldn't assume he will be here more than 2 more seasons. That's all.

On the bright side, he'll be 29 when he becomes a free agent. He'll still get paid, but the chances of some team throwing a big/dumb contract at him will hopefully be slightly lower

Salary cap will still be rising like crazy, and he’s still one of the free centers in the league that can defend most all over and isn’t stuck in the paint offensively. When he hits free agency, the salary cap is currently projected to rise to around $156m, so even if he only takes 20% of the salary cap, he’d still easily be getting $30m in year one, and could get a 4/130 type offer and he’d never be making more than 20% of the salary cap in any year.

Dumb contracts are in the eye of the beholder going forward :dontknow:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#27 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Also, Daniel Theis has been playing REALLY well for Germany. He could certainly help us if we choose to go with a vet in the backup 5 role. Or maybe someone else will see him healthy and make an offer?

this is not the first time I've thought that if the playoffs are truly our goal, Theis and not Smith or Jackson should be the backup 5. we also have the small ball option of playing Toppin and Walker together as the 4 and 5.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 752

Post#28 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:19 am

As fun as this team is to watch it is so very flawed and the current roster is probably not fixable. I’m to the point where I suggest that they trade Mathurin and Toppin for a defensive 4.

An interesting post on Twitter from Alex Golden really supports the fact that this roster lacks a defensive 4 and it is holding them back from being a contender we wish for. I’ll post it at the end of my rant.

As much as we had hoped Jarace Walker isn’t the answer. I’m sick of seeing fans post on Twitter and Facebook that they need to give Jarace Walker the 4 minutes and that will solve all of the problems at the 4. Jarace Walker is disappointingly more raw than Nembhard or Mathurin were as rookies last year. To suggest he would right the ship is laughable currently. In a couple years he might develop idk.

The Pacers can’t continue to lose games they should win because eventually they aren’t going to beat the top teams without defending.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=9ViPZrC6T8ng6kcZke0I5g

In case you can’t see all of his list here it is:

Opposing teams forwards are crushing the Pacers:

Kyle Kuzma - 25 points on 50% shooting with 2 rebounds and 2 blocks

Evan Mobley - 23.5 points on 54.3% shooting, 12 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 4.0 assists

Jayson Tatum - 30 points on 60% shooting, 12 rebounds and 4 assists

Gordon Hayward - 23 points on 58.8% shooting, 6 rebounds and 3 assists

Lauri Markkanen - 24 points on 50% shooting, 9 rebounds and 1 block

Giannis Antetokounmpo - 54 points on 76% shooting, 12 rebounds and 3 assists

Tobias Harris - 20 points on 54.1% shooting, 8 rebounds and 3.5 assists

Paolo Banchero - 24 points, on 64.3% shooting, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks

Pascal Siakam - 36 points on 54.2% shooting, 10 rebounds and 4 assists

Jerami Grant - 34 points on 66.7% shooting, 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 blocks
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 177

Post#29 » by JMaster5K » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:50 am

Pacers Forever wrote:As fun as this team is to watch it is so very flawed and the current roster is probably not fixable. I’m to the point where I suggest that they trade Mathurin and Toppin for a defensive 4.

An interesting post on Twitter from Alex Golden really supports the fact that this roster lacks a defensive 4 and it is holding them back from being a contender we wish for. I’ll post it at the end of my rant.

As much as we had hoped Jarace Walker isn’t the answer. I’m sick of seeing fans post on Twitter and Facebook that they need to give Jarace Walker the 4 minutes and that will solve all of the problems at the 4. Jarace Walker is disappointingly more raw than Nembhard or Mathurin were as rookies last year. To suggest he would right the ship is laughable currently. In a couple years he might develop idk.

The Pacers can’t continue to lose games they should win because eventually they aren’t going to beat the top teams without defending.

While I agree with the statement about the roster and the need for a 2-way 4, completely, I don't know that we have to move now. I don't want to waste any of Ty's season's, as he is ready to contend now. However, I don't think this team is in a rush to win big this season. Making the playoffs would be good, but the more Coach speaks, the more convinced I get that he is still in the mode of laying the foundation for multiple seasons of being a contender, than committed to winning this season. He is still experimenting.

we still don't know confidently exactly what we have in Nembhard (what exactly is his ceiling?), same for Nesmith. Mathurin is showing signs of really learning and committing on defense, but still needs to work on seeing the whole floor on both ends? Walker is raw, but his athleticism and fundamental skills are so tantalizing. His ceiling could be higher than Mathurin or Nembhard, but how long is it likely to take him to get there? IF he can get there? Ob1 is what he is, is there any more upside? Just think there are too many questions to try to figure them all out this early, this year. (but, I could be wrong.)

I'm not saying they won't try to win every game & go as far as they can. Just, I don't expect them to start making real roster decisions until they understand a lot more about what they have? It would be a shame (and incredibly frustrating - LOL) to trade for that defensive 4 now,... and see the players that we traded develop, into all-stars at positions we still need. (Kawhi for George Hill)

Yes,. I personally want to win now,... but I have to keep telling myself (again and again), that might not be in the best interest of the team or the players long term. (dam it!) =]
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:41 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:As fun as this team is to watch it is so very flawed and the current roster is probably not fixable. I’m to the point where I suggest that they trade Mathurin and Toppin for a defensive 4.

Read on Twitter

In case you can’t see all of his list here it is:

Opposing teams forwards are crushing the Pacers:

Kyle Kuzma - 25 points on 50% shooting with 2 rebounds and 2 blocks

Evan Mobley - 23.5 points on 54.3% shooting, 12 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 4.0 assists

Jayson Tatum - 30 points on 60% shooting, 12 rebounds and 4 assists

Gordon Hayward - 23 points on 58.8% shooting, 6 rebounds and 3 assists

Lauri Markkanen - 24 points on 50% shooting, 9 rebounds and 1 block

Giannis Antetokounmpo - 54 points on 76% shooting, 12 rebounds and 3 assists

Tobias Harris - 20 points on 54.1% shooting, 8 rebounds and 3.5 assists

Paolo Banchero - 24 points, on 64.3% shooting, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks

Pascal Siakam - 36 points on 54.2% shooting, 10 rebounds and 4 assists

Jerami Grant - 34 points on 66.7% shooting, 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 blocks

To be fair, some of those guys are below or basically right at their yearly averages. Like Grant, Siakam, and Giannis (to an extent, he’s kind of at an all time peak right now) are the only ones that bother me, or stand out as specifically terrible for Indy?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:48 pm

The hardest part is that, knowing that problem, it’s still ridiculously tough to acquire a player that could actually help you there. A big wing defender, or guy that can defend the 3/4 well is the hardest archetype in the league to acquire, and so they cost a ton. Every team wants those! :lol:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#32 » by Wizop » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:33 pm

Jarace played a game in the g-league and did very well. the optimistic view is that he could be months away rather than years away. he's potentially just what we need. the question is will he get there and if so how soon.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#33 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:46 am

JMaster5K wrote:

While I agree with the statement about the roster and the need for a 2-way 4, completely, I don't know that we have to move now. I don't want to waste any of Ty's season's, as he is ready to contend now. However, I don't think this team is in a rush to win big this season. Making the playoffs would be good, but the more Coach speaks, the more convinced I get that he is still in the mode of laying the foundation for multiple seasons of being a contender, than committed to winning this season. He is still experimenting.

we still don't know confidently exactly what we have in Nembhard (what exactly is his ceiling?), same for Nesmith. Mathurin is showing signs of really learning and committing on defense, but still needs to work on seeing the whole floor on both ends? Walker is raw, but his athleticism and fundamental skills are so tantalizing. His ceiling could be higher than Mathurin or Nembhard, but how long is it likely to take him to get there? IF he can get there? Ob1 is what he is, is there any more upside? Just think there are too many questions to try to figure them all out this early, this year. (but, I could be wrong.)

I'm not saying they won't try to win every game & go as far as they can. Just, I don't expect them to start making real roster decisions until they understand a lot more about what they have? It would be a shame (and incredibly frustrating - LOL) to trade for that defensive 4 now,... and see the players that we traded develop, into all-stars at positions we still need. (Kawhi for George Hill)

Yes,. I personally want to win now,... but I have to keep telling myself (again and again), that might not be in the best interest of the team or the players long term. (dam it!) =]

Part of me agrees with your argument about the organization may be on a very slow rebuild schedule. If so then I shouldn’t rush to fix the current issues.

I definitely agree that they probably don’t know yet what they have in growth potential of some of the players. I know I might be biased on who fits and who isn’t going to mature into better than a role player.

My fear about Walker is he is more raw than Nembhard and Mathurin were as rookies. He’s not logging anywhere close to the minutes the rookies logged last year based off their first year skills.

It’s early in their second season and Mathurin is still struggling to defend his position consistently. The main reason he played so much last season was by driving he scored in the paint often and developed the ability to get to the line. I hope he can develop his defensive skills to become an all around player.

Now put Walker in his second year and will he struggle to defend also like Mathurin ? His offense needs work. Obviously his defense needs work. I like that he’s a decent passer so far and trying to rebound. I’m sold that by year 3 he will be the player we all hoped he might be this season.

I believe he’s in the G league for a reason this season and that’s to gain confidence and develop all skills needed. I applaud the Pacers for putting him in a situation that he can win and develop in rather than throwing him into the fire and potentially damaging his confidence going against the leagues veteran 4’s.

Nembhard from the beginning showed defensive ability defending NBA talent earning him minutes last season even though he was still gaining and developing his point guard skills and learning what ways he could score. I believe he belonged and impressed the coaches enough to throw him into the fire.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#34 » by JMaster5K » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:09 am

Pacers Forever wrote:Part of me agrees with your argument about the organization may be on a very slow rebuild schedule. If so then I shouldn’t rush to fix the current issues.

I definitely agree that they probably don’t know yet what they have in growth potential of some of the players. I know I might be biased on who fits and who isn’t going to mature into better than a role player.

My fear about Walker is he is more raw than Nembhard and Mathurin were as rookies. He’s not logging anywhere close to the minutes the rookies logged last year based off their first year skills.

It’s early in their second season and Mathurin is still struggling to defend his position consistently. The main reason he played so much last season was by driving he scored in the paint often and developed the ability to get to the line. I hope he can develop his defensive skills to become an all around player.

Now put Walker in his second year and will he struggle to defend also like Mathurin ? His offense needs work. Obviously his defense needs work. I like that he’s a decent passer so far and trying to rebound. I’m sold that by year 3 he will be the player we all hoped he might be this season.

I believe he’s in the G league for a reason this season and that’s to gain confidence and develop all skills needed. I applaud the Pacers for putting him in a situation that he can win and develop in rather than throwing him into the fire and potentially damaging his confidence going against the leagues veteran 4’s.

Nembhard from the beginning showed defensive ability defending NBA talent earning him minutes last season even though he was still gaining and developing his point guard skills and learning what ways he could score. I believe he belonged and impressed the coaches enough to throw him into the fire.

I think we are of like mind. =]

Hali blew up. I believe the coaches & FO thought he would be good, with the upside for real greatness. I don't think anyone really expected, in his 2nd year with Indy, for him to be an all-star. In his 2nd full year with the team to be getting some MVP comments, and critics mentioning him in the 'best PG in the league' conversation. He is 23 going on 24. He accelerated the teams win-loss performance.

But, we still have to put a complete team around him that can be a real contender. Which gets more difficult draft wise, the more you win. (obviously) Hali's ability to to get the team to play to their strengths & minimize weaknesses, actually makes it harder to put that team together. (don't want to see us get stuck in the 'Dame in Portland' spot,... too good to develop through the draft, not showing enough potential to attract key FA's.)

With that in mind, I completely agree with your questions about the individual players & where they are now. What we are still trying to figure out (and I don't think there's enough time even with the second year guys to know right now) - What can they be? How likely are they to get there? if they do, how does that fit with the team we are trying to build?

Nembhard was a steal. He played last year & is being developed this year not because we know his ceiling or his potential, but because his 'floor' was so dam high. His fundamentals on both ends are exceptional. His basketball IQ is top of the charts. Does he have the potential to be an all-star? who knows at this point? What we do know, he is a very good, consistent, realiable NBA guard that fits the team and the coaches plans. That alone is going to get him rotation time, now.

I'm not as high on Mathurin as many, but in his defense, (no double-entendre intended - LOL) Coach did say in that interview about cutting time, something like,.. I told Ben he can score, we all know that, so, I told him, don't worry about your scoring, I need you to concentrate and commit to defense. That he has the athleticism to become a lock-down defender and true 2-way player, but he need to work on becoming a stopper first.

So, for once I actually expected a bit of a drop off on the offensive end. His defense playing with Brown and Nembhard (in those minutes in the 4th quarter in Detroit - I think?) was actually pretty good. Raw, sometimes he still didn't see the whole floor, but in playing his role in the scheme, it was much better.

Having said all that (sorry),... =/ Even if he becomes an excellent 2-way player, how is he going to fit in an less-scripted, to unscripted, read & react offense and defense, when he still struggles to see the whole floor and play in the whole team concept instead of just his role on the team?.... Jury is still out ? that's the part that concerns me. He's still very limited on assists offensively, and many times doesn't react to the offensive overplays on defense.

It's the other side of that same coin that gives me such hope for Walker. He seems to see the whole floor on both ends. He is reading & reacting really well. They didn't play this type of offense or defense at Houston (or in high school). This is all new to him. Even though he is reading the action well, and reacting, he is so raw that many times he is not making the right reaction to the read, putting him out of place, or out of sync. Understanding the right reaction & timing will come with experience. I have no doubts he can and will learn it. It's just a very steep learning curve from where he is, entering the league.

All of the observations (again sorry, just love actually talking BB with other Pacers fans, and this is the best place for it,.... =/ ), just reinforce the idea that major changes, right now, that aren't a clear cut, long-term, franchise altering improvement, are probably premature? Those kind of changes are usually almost non-existent for a team this young, at this time of year.

BUT,... all those questions, and watching the answers come out, as the team develops, are one of the things that makes this team so much fun to watch. Not sure how things are going to go, but the ride as thing develop is going to be interesting! LOL =]
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#35 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Dec 1, 2023 6:27 am

I really feel like having Brown, Nesmith, Mathurin, and Hield is too much position duplication with their similar heights.

The only players I retain for next season’s ongoing rebuild are

Turner
Smith
Haliburton
Nembhard
Nesmith
Brown
Jackson for depth

Of course Tshiebwe, Shepherd, and Walker are no brainer keepers for future development as 2 ways.

Rest of the roster is expendable in trades along with draft picks since next year’s draft might be weak.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 1, 2023 3:33 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:Rest of the roster is expendable in trades along with draft picks since next year’s draft might be weak.

I take notions that a draft will be weak with lots of salt.

that said, we're not playing like a 46 win team. but I'm encouraged to see Carlisle pull players when they screw up.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#37 » by JMaster5K » Wed Dec 6, 2023 8:30 pm

I'll put this here, it is an interview by Dan Devine with CC, on how & why the Pacers do what they do, and how the team seems to fit together between players, plays, coaching, even a bit of team personality, with post game analysis and context from the Pacers / Celtics knockout game. I really enjoyed it, though others here might.

Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#38 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Dec 8, 2023 2:07 am

Read on Twitter

The word is getting out and I hope Tyrese’s game this season entices the right players to come to Indy.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#39 » by Wizop » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:08 pm

I think it is more and more clear that the team to worry about long term is Orlando. We need to match up with their forwards next year.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizop » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Indiana Pacers