basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Re: Bruce Brown? 

Post#21 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:49 am

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:LOL - Man,.. this next calendar year is going to be fun!! =}

it's fun now

Could be frustrating for those who want to see some "major moves." OG has been traded, I'm expecting Siakam to get traded and we're gonna sit back and watch and let the other teams screw up. I'm expecting some kind of minor move by the dead line but that would be like the deal last year when the team got Nwora and George Hill plus a bunch of 2nds. The Pacers are the only team with significant cap space so when a major trade is made look for us to be there eating a contact and getting paid to do it.

When the summer comes and it's free agent time will we renounce some of these guys and go after the more expensive players? I think HIeld will probably move on one way or the other. If Toppin keeps playing well in his reserve roll I could see him getting a Nesmith like contract as well as Jalen Smith. Then it's back to Brown and his 1+1 deal, I have a feeling that if he's still with the team in June that he will either be picked up or they'll give him a slightly smaller 2+1 deal, like $15 million for the 3 years with a team option on Y3.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#22 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:09 am

Wizop wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:Taking on his contract also means that moves for players like Siakim can’t happen.

Which is fine by me. If I had magic wand, I'd wave it over Walker.

With the greatest of respect, I can only surmise that you havent watched much of Siakim or Wiggins this year. Eye test alone tells you which one you want on your team and which one should be treated like radioactive waste.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#23 » by Wizop » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:30 am

jarryd3107 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:Taking on his contract also means that moves for players like Siakim can’t happen.

With the greatest of respect, I can only surmise that you havent watched much of Siakim or Wiggins this year. Eye test alone tells you which one you want on your team and which one should be treated like radioactive waste.

Siakim is the better player, sure. I just don't think his contract fits our plans and I really don't want to give up emerging players to trade for an expiring contract. I would trade Buddy for a tall wing defender making similar money but you are correct that I haven't watched the Warriors. I'm willing to trust our front office and won't second guess any trade they make or pass on.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#24 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:02 am

I actually like Bruce Brown and his talents. However, he doesn’t feel like part of the core going forward.

He’s like a temporary piece or rental during the maturation of the core group bringing experience, knowledge, competition, and work ethic to the team. A very good flexible cap strategy.

Conversely I think Obi Toppin was a steal and will be a priority to re-sign. I believe he’s in a maturing process this season and by season’s end he’s going to be a more consistent and complete player that fits the future build. He’s an offensive player who will fit in, but not our defensive rebounding answer we still need.

His averages with

Knicks ………………………………..Pacers
14 minutes ………………………. 24 minutes
63% 2PFG ……………………………73% 2PFG
32% 3PFG …………………………. 41% 3PFG
49% FG ………………………………. 59% FG
Rest of categories are even with +1 rebound more with Pacers

This results in a +5 point scoring average difference from his time with the Knicks because he’s getting opportunity to grow and develop here with a team that shares the ball.

He’s stroking 3’s more confidently and consistently. He’s a high energy movement player who gets up and down and lives for the lob. Shares the ball. I’m not sure if his rebounding will improve, but I do believe his defense will improve due to being aggressively active. Appears to have great character from videos fitting into the good guy Pacer narrative. I don’t see him as a future starter though, but an integral role player who’s hopefully a cap friendly asset.

This season we have seen huge growth from Nesmith and Smith with noticeable growth from I Jax, and Myles.

Smith and I Jax should be re-signed if affordable due to future potential and we need to sign our own free agents for continuity and chemistry. We shouldn’t develop other teams players like Smith and Toppin to let them walk. Smartly we locked up Nesmith.

Pacers core inmho Turner, Haliburton, Smith, I Jax, Mathurin, Nesmith, Toppin, Walker, Sheppard, Tshiebwe, and McConnell. Nembhard maybe.

Of course Tyrese is an ever evolving star talent. Mathurin continues to exhibit his ability to create his own offense and has more potential growth towards becoming more than just a scorer.

McConnell is a valuable veteran glue and point guard insurance plan that is a must until the Pacers youth is ready.

That brings up Nembhard who in fairness has been injured this season. I don’t see as much growth as I do in Mathurin. I still see backup point guard potential and a little bit of defense this season. I’m hoping he continues to mature and make bigger strides since the ability is there.

I’m not sure if he’s part of the core or a diamond draft steal that could be moved in a trade.

Nwora is a free agent who could walk, could be traded, or maybe return as a future deep roster development player.

Kendall Brown, Wong, and maybe Tshiebwe feel like G league players again next season.

Hield, Bruce Brown, and Johnson are gone at season’s end most likely. Hopefully this salary equals a trade or cap space to obtain 1 experienced power forward.

Pacers upcoming draft capital is their own first round pick, likely OKC’s first round pick, and Milwaukee’s second round pick. I’m guessing a consolidation package moving up to get 1 player in the first round and maybe a second round late round project pick.

In summary I’m thinking very little change is needed to this roster as long as everyone stays healthy, continues to develop their skills, and the 4 position is addressed. Must strengthen their defense and rebounding to supplement an already strong offensive team.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by jarryd3107 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:10 am

Wizop wrote:I'm willing to trust our front office and won't second guess any trade they make or pass on.

I entirely agree with this. The front office haven’t made a misstep in a while. I’m thankful they didn’t get bullied in to the Hield/Turner to LA trade.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#26 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:06 am

I want a tall defender with rebounding skills at power forward who can help them control the boards and defend the opposing bigs. Too bad Dale Davis isn’t clonable. :lol:

Seriously we need power forward skills at 15- 20 mil. not 40 mil. So no Siakam, Tobias Harris, Draymond Green, or Wiggins who’s dealing with issues we don’t need.

I don’t think Lauri Markkanen will be available but a player of his skill or similar is desirable.

Tari Eason, Trace Jackson Davis, Kelly Olynyk are all cheap options that won’t break the bank but are not studs.

I’m not in favor of Hayward because of his injury prone nature and he’s more of an offensive threat than a rebounding defender. I wouldn’t complain if someone ate his contract and he was a cheap end of season rental.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:11 am

Wizop wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Siakim is the better player, sure. I just don't think his contract fits our plans and I really don't want to give up emerging players to trade for an expiring contract. I would trade Buddy for a tall wing defender making similar money but you are correct that I haven't watched the Warriors. I'm willing to trust our front office and won't second guess any trade they make or pass on.

No question that Wiggins has had some kind of set back, he's looking like Minnesota Wiggins not Warriors Wiggins. Siakam is the better player but still not worth $45 million for 5 years. Since I don't want to pay him that kind of money and no doubt Philly will, I say leave him alone.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#28 » by JMaster5K » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:58 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I actually like Bruce Brown and his talents. However, he doesn’t feel like part of the core going forward.

He’s like a temporary piece or rental during the maturation of the core group bringing experience, knowledge, competition, and work ethic to the team. A very good flexible cap strategy.

Conversely I think Obi Toppin was a steal and will be a priority to re-sign. I believe he’s in a maturing process this season and by season’s end he’s going to be a more consistent and complete player that fits the future build. He’s an offensive player who will fit in, but not our defensive rebounding answer we still need.

His averages with

Knicks ………………………………..Pacers
14 minutes ………………………. 24 minutes
63% 2PFG ……………………………73% 2PFG
32% 3PFG …………………………. 41% 3PFG
49% FG ………………………………. 59% FG
Rest of categories are even with +1 rebound more with Pacers

This results in a +5 point scoring average difference from his time with the Knicks because he’s getting opportunity to grow and develop here with a team that shares the ball.

He’s stroking 3’s more confidently and consistently. He’s a high energy movement player who gets up and down and lives for the lob. Shares the ball. I’m not sure if his rebounding will improve, but I do believe his defense will improve due to being aggressively active. Appears to have great character from videos fitting into the good guy Pacer narrative. I don’t see him as a future starter though, but an integral role player who’s hopefully a cap friendly asset.

This season we have seen huge growth from Nesmith and Smith with noticeable growth from I Jax, and Myles.

Smith and I Jax should be re-signed if affordable due to future potential and we need to sign our own free agents for continuity and chemistry. We shouldn’t develop other teams players like Smith and Toppin to let them walk. Smartly we locked up Nesmith.

Pacers core inmho Turner, Haliburton, Smith, I Jax, Mathurin, Nesmith, Toppin, Walker, Sheppard, Tshiebwe, and McConnell. Nembhard maybe.

Of course Tyrese is an ever evolving star talent. Mathurin continues to exhibit his ability to create his own offense and has more potential growth towards becoming more than just a scorer.

McConnell is a valuable veteran glue and point guard insurance plan that is a must until the Pacers youth is ready.

That brings up Nembhard who in fairness has been injured this season. I don’t see as much growth as I do in Mathurin. I still see backup point guard potential and a little bit of defense this season. I’m hoping he continues to mature and make bigger strides since the ability is there.

I’m not sure if he’s part of the core or a diamond draft steal that could be moved in a trade.

Nwora is a free agent who could walk, could be traded, or maybe return as a future deep roster development player.

Kendall Brown, Wong, and maybe Tshiebwe feel like G league players again next season.

Hield, Bruce Brown, and Johnson are gone at season’s end most likely. Hopefully this salary equals a trade or cap space to obtain 1 experienced power forward.

Pacers upcoming draft capital is their own first round pick, likely OKC’s first round pick, and Milwaukee’s second round pick. I’m guessing a consolidation package moving up to get 1 player in the first round and maybe a second round late round project pick.

In summary I’m thinking very little change is needed to this roster as long as everyone stays healthy, continues to develop their skills, and the 4 position is addressed. Must strengthen their defense and rebounding to supplement an already strong offensive team.

Very well said. Very much appreciate the thought and consideration that went into this analysis. Thank you. =]

Agree completely. I have to believe (based mostly on last year, when he was healthy) that Nemhard will become part of the core, as he gets healthier & more experienced. TJ is really proving his value this year with his play. Also, his mentorship has (reportedly from players interviews) been very positive, and important in the Pacers keeping their focus on the next game, staying up. If Nemhard can become that backup, combo guard, and come up to speed as TJ begins to age,... The Pacers really are in good shape, with a number of roads to improvement and a better future for a team that already looks like a playoff team.

Remembering how things were at the beginning of 21-22,.... Have to be truly thankful for where we are now,.. =]
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Post#29 » by JMaster5K » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:01 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I want a tall defender with rebounding skills at power forward who can help them control the boards and defend the opposing bigs. Too bad Dale Davis isn’t clonable. :lol:

Seriously we need power forward skills at 15- 20 mil. not 40 mil. So no Siakam, Tobias Harris, Draymond Green, or Wiggins who’s dealing with issues we don’t need.

I don’t think Lauri Markkanen will be available but a player of his skill or similar is desirable.

Tari Eason, Trace Jackson Davis, Kelly Olynyk are all cheap options that won’t break the bank but are not studs.

I’m not in favor of Hayward because of his injury prone nature and he’s more of an offensive threat than a rebounding defender. I wouldn’t complain if someone ate his contract and he was a cheap end of season rental.

Amen to a defensive 4 with size. =}

The rumor this morning on Hoopshype was that trade interest in Hayward was falling off, as many executives expect him to be a buyout candidate late this year. As a buyout for this year, I would be interested, but not in a trade for his full salary.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#30 » by Wizop » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:27 pm

The only thing I'd quibble with in the long post is bringing back all 3 two way players as two ways. Someone will give way to a second round pick. If we lose Stix, Oscar could get a regular contract.
Ruaidri
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#31 » by Ruaidri » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:17 pm

I believe contract wise we can trade Brown for Kuzma.

Kuzma is not a defense force, but to me an upgrade over our current 4’s. He has a very favorable contract which declines every season. Long term also.

I would trade Brown and a first round pick, for Kuzma.

We know big free agents won’t come. And we are not a team which are big spenders, so I don’t see how we would convince the Siakam’s of this world to stay.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by jarryd3107 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:42 am

Pacers Forever wrote:I want a tall defender with rebounding skills at power forward who can help them control the boards and defend the opposing bigs. Too bad Dale Davis isn’t clonable. :lol:

Can’t believe we didn’t pick Dale Davis’s boy at 47 or 55. Wong and King better be good.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by jarryd3107 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:44 am

Ruaidri wrote:We know big free agents won’t come. And we are not a team which are big spenders, so I don’t see how we would convince the Siakam’s of this world to stay.

Money + Haliburton should tempt somebody at some stage. Thats why I’d probably prefer to take a swing at Siakim on the open market rather than surrender too many assets for him now.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:02 am

jarryd3107 wrote:
Can’t believe we didn’t pick Dale Davis’s boy at 47 or 55. Wong and King better be good.

I wanted GG Jackson at 40. TJD wouldn't have signed a two way. Wong is an undersized 2. King has been hurt but has joined the ants.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by jarryd3107 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:21 am

Wizop wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:

I wanted GG Jackson at 40. TJD wouldn't have signed a two way. Wong is an undersized 2. King has been hurt but has joined the ants.

You’re right on all of that but still the romance of getting Dale’s boy would’ve been nice
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#36 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:09 am

jarryd3107 wrote:

Yeah! And look what he's been doing for GSW! He's 6'9'' 245 a full grown man at 23, but some are like, "waaa he can't shoot the 3 pter, let's just get another TJ Leaf!"

Yes it was beyond dumb not to take TJD at 47. I don't think Wong or King will ever play in the NBA. TJD wanted a guaranteed contract for 4 years, not a 2 way and they put that out to teams not to draft him if all he was getting was a 2 way. I don't blame him he probably would have been College BB Player of the Year if not for Zach Edey at Purdue.

Now watch the 2024 draft they'll do it again and pass on Edey in the 2nd round. People will say but we don't need another center.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:19 am

Wizop wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:

And why should he have been relegated to the GLeague and a 2 way deal? He's better than that. In 4 years there are gonna be a lot of people saying "why the hell didn't we take him." and not just Pacers fans.

My opinion on this is not because he was a IU guy, or because he was Dale Davis's kid, TJD was the player we needed and available at a super discount. When was the last time a 47th pick became anything? So it was low risk, and Rookie minimum for 4 years. He's getting about $1.1 million this year. And there's the roster spot issue blah blah blah... It would not have been hard to create a spot.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 431

Post#38 » by Grang33r » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:11 am

jarryd3107 wrote:
Wizop wrote:I'm willing to trust our front office and won't second guess any trade they make or pass on.

I entirely agree with this. The front office haven’t made a misstep in a while. I’m thankful they didn’t get bullied in to the Hield/Turner to LA trade.

Dude im so happy to read these posts because i've said the same thing. I always liked KP but to be honest i think it's more Rick Carlisle for me then anything else. He just knows basketball so much and is always calm, even after a bad losing streak early on, after Ty's injury, he is just a calming presence. When he talks you just know he knows basketball. He's one of those dudes who sleeps, eats and breaths basketball. I just wasn't sure if i was too much brainwashed by some good moves/tired of losing that i believe anything the club feeds me, but reading you guys have same type of opinion on this as me makes me feel a lot better.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#39 » by ahartleyvu » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:53 pm

Wonder if we could swap Buddy for another expiring + FRP and do the same with Toppin (not sure he warrants a FRP in return but I imagine a contender might bite) Then send the FRPs and a contract / Brown or TJM to match for Markkanen. Doesn’t fix our defense but our offense would be deadly.

Haliburton - Nembhard - TJM?
Mathurin - Nembhard
Nesmith - Walker
Markkanen - Smith - Walker
Turner - Jackson - Smith
Wizop
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:56 pm

ahartleyvu wrote:Wonder if we could swap Buddy for another expiring + FRP and do the same with Toppin (not sure he warrants a FRP in return but I imagine a contender might bite) Then send the FRPs and a contract / Brown or TJM to match for Markkanen. Doesn’t fix our defense but our offense would be deadly.

Utah started the season slowly, changed starters, and caught fire. If you watched any of last night's game, you know they are now buyers not sellers.

Return to Indiana Pacers