Trades and Transactions?

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,212

Re: Trades and Transactions? 

Post#341 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:37 am

I'm also glad we passed. I think we'll find a veteran SF to get the payroll right but I hate that we have to. I'm warming to renegotiating Buddy
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#342 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:51 am

xBulletproof wrote:but I guess if I don't get them I will have to pay for the wifi on the plane :lol: No way I'm taking that flight without knowing the signings/trades until I land.

Airplane Wi-Fi is limited even when you pay. Do some research to be sure you're getting what you want. You might ask a friend to email you if the pacers do something. International flights do have USB ports though so put your charging cable in your pocket or carry-on. If you haven't done so already, make sure your cc company and cell company know what countries you'll be in.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,593

Post#343 » by xBulletproof » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:10 am

Wizop wrote:
xBulletproof wrote:but I guess if I don't get them I will have to pay for the wifi on the plane :lol: No way I'm taking that flight without knowing the signings/trades until I land.

Airplane Wi-Fi is limited even when you pay. Do some research to be sure you're getting what you want. You might ask a friend to email you if the pacers do something. International flights do have USB ports though so put your charging cable in your pocket or carry-on. If you haven't done so already, make sure your cc company and cell company know what countries you'll be in.

It isn't my first time out of the country, just first time since Covid, but I just assumed Wi-Fi is universal. :lol: I guess, I'll have to look into Aer Lingus Wi-Fi info but just being able to monitor Woj/Shams Twitter would be great. I usually try to sleep as much as I can, target arrival for early in the AM, then I'm already on the new day/night schedule when I land.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#344 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:19 am

xBulletproof wrote: I usually try to sleep as much as I can, target arrival for early in the AM, then I'm already on the new day/night schedule when I land.

I also sleep. I was taking annual European cruises before COVID and did one after using vouchers from one COVID cancelled. Several countries required COVID vaccination forms on entry and the airline made sure you had the forms before they let you on the plane.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 132

Post#345 » by jarryd3107 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:23 am

I’m super surprised the pacers aren’t mentioned at all as a Jerami Grant landing spot. He’s big, shoots 40% from 3 and is a versatile defender, and he’s also a vet for a younger team. A Turner, Walker and Grant frontline is intriguing.

He is rumored to be getting 4 years for $120m or so. Id be fine with beating this hypothetical Portland offer, maybe even giving him a player option at the end.

Why is Indy not considered a landing spot for him?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,223

Post#346 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:38 am

jarryd3107 wrote:I’m super surprised the pacers aren’t mentioned at all as a Jerami Grant landing spot. He’s big, shoots 40% from 3 and is a versatile defender, and he’s also a vet for a younger team. A Turner, Walker and Grant frontline is intriguing.

He is rumored to be getting 4 years for $120m or so. Id be fine with beating this hypothetical Portland offer, maybe even giving him a player option at the end.

Why is Indy not considered a landing spot for him?

From reading the tea leaves, it’s mostly that he’s either likely to be overpaid to be kept in Portland, or he might consider getting a lot of money and going back to Detroit to play for a black gm and a black coach, which he spoke highly of previously. I just think it’s the assumption that Portland NEEDS to keep him if they’re to keep Dame.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#347 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:27 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:I’m super surprised the pacers aren’t mentioned at all as a Jerami Grant landing spot.

perhaps the word is out that we're looking at 3s and not 4s. or maybe he's just over 6'5" :lol:
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#348 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:59 pm

FWIW, from a Celtics beat reporter - https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/06/grant-williams-trade-scenarios-for-celtics-examining-7-potential-suitors.html:

Pacers ($32.2 million in cap room)

Notable signed bigs: Jarace Walker, Myles Turner, Isaiah Jackson, Jalen Smith

Analysis: This is a team to watch on the Williams front league sources tell MassLive. There are ingredients for a sign-and-trade that work under the BYC restrictions with a couple of smaller salaries in Smith or Jackson the C’s could be interested in. Boston could just try to get a second round pick and a TPE to use later this season from the Pacers for not matching an offer. Whether the Pacers are motivated to bring in another big in Williams after drafting Walker remains to be seen but his 3-point shooting would certainly hold appeal around Tyrese Halliburton.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 961

Post#349 » by Tom White » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:45 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:FWIW, from a Celtics beat reporter

Is this the same guy you were relying on for your posts about other so-called rumors?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#350 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:13 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:FWIW, from a Celtics beat reporter - https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/06/grant-williams-trade-scenarios-for-celtics-examining-7-potential-suitors.html:

Pacers ($32.2 million in cap room)

Notable signed bigs: Jarace Walker, Myles Turner, Isaiah Jackson, Jalen Smith

Analysis: This is a team to watch on the Williams front league sources tell MassLive. There are ingredients for a sign-and-trade that work under the BYC restrictions with a couple of smaller salaries in Smith or Jackson the C’s could be interested in. Boston could just try to get a second round pick and a TPE to use later this season from the Pacers for not matching an offer. Whether the Pacers are motivated to bring in another big in Williams after drafting Walker remains to be seen but his 3-point shooting would certainly hold appeal around Tyrese Halliburton.

Maybe. I think he’s a little further down the line of targets and a guy that’s more of a SF that can play PF might be the better fit, as opposed to Grant Williams, who’s a SF sized center in terms of skill set?

Either way, I’ve kind of assumed that Boston may non tender him as a favor to him and his agent, and just ask to have his signing turned into a S&T to get a TPE. His BYC status makes it tough for Boston to match salaries, and if a team has cap space to sign him already, I think they might just challenge Boston to match it and risk being stuck with him all year (remember, if Boston matches a RFA offer sheet, Grant would have the right to refuse any trade all year, and would be barred from sending Grant to the team that signed him to an RFA for one full year).

I don’t think Boston can afford to match and risk Grant refusing any trades all year.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#351 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:15 pm

Tom White wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:FWIW, from a Celtics beat reporter

Is this the same guy you were relying on for your posts about other so-called rumors?

Don't shoot the messenger dude, I was relaying that one, not "relying" on it.

Brian Robb is reputable, he's cautious not to overhype or push far-fetched stories.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#352 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:17 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Maybe. I think he’s a little further down the line of targets and a guy that’s more of a SF that can play PF might be the better fit, as opposed to Grant Williams, who’s a SF sized center in terms of skill set?

I think Pacers could do better, but free agency's unpredictable..

FWIW, Grant's more of a small forward sized power forward but he's strong enough to guard all the way up to the 5. Did it for us plenty, can be a great defender when he's locked in. He has a stretch 4 skill set. Flashed some improvement this year attacking closeouts, he could add a little bit of a face-up game but it's a long shot.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#353 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:18 pm

I was just surprised to see Isaiah Jackson's name in there.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#354 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:24 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I was just surprised to see Isaiah Jackson's name in there.

we may have to decide between Jackson and Smith.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 961

Post#355 » by Tom White » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:25 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Don't shoot the messenger dude, I was relaying that one, not "relying" on it.

Brian Robb is reputable, he's cautious not to overhype or push far-fetched stories.

Not trying to disparage you. Just that when I see a story (meaning the reporter's story) whose source is the always vague "league sources", I take it with multiple grains of salt.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#356 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:27 pm

Wizop wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I was just surprised to see Isaiah Jackson's name in there.

Is it close? From what I can tell Jackson's younger, you'll have the right to match an offer sheet, he's got more upside.. I don't know if he's ready to play many minutes on a contending team, and the bill's coming due soon for a guy who hasn't finished developing, but I'd love him off the bench in Boston.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#357 » by Wizop » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:40 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Is it close? From what I can tell Jackson's younger, you'll have the right to match an offer sheet, he's got more upside.. I don't know if he's ready to play many minutes on a contending team, and the bill's coming due soon for a guy who hasn't finished developing, but I'd love him off the bench in Boston.

Smith can shoot. Jackson dunks lobs with the best of them. both can block shots. so far lineups with one of them playing with Turner or both of them playing together haven't been effective. each deserves to be more than an emergency third center.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:49 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Maybe. I think he’s a little further down the line of targets and a guy that’s more of a SF that can play PF might be the better fit, as opposed to Grant Williams, who’s a SF sized center in terms of skill set?

I think Pacers could do better, but free agency's unpredictable..

FWIW, Grant's more of a small forward sized power forward but he's strong enough to guard all the way up to the 5. Did it for us plenty, can be a great defender when he's locked in. He has a stretch 4 skill set. Flashed some improvement this year attacking closeouts, he could add a little bit of a face-up game but it's a long shot.

Maybe. I think his volume is still low enough that he’s not really drawing much gravity when he’s behind the arc to create a stretch advantage.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#359 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:50 pm

Why? That part is just the Boston writers supposition. He’s not reporting it’s a possibility. He’s just supposing or hypothesizing from his POV.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#360 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 1, 2023 1:12 pm

Struss signed and traded so those members who feared we'd sign him can relax.

Return to Indiana Pacers