With the 8th pick, Indiana selects Jarace Walker!

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 179

Re: With the 8th pick, Indiana selects Jarace Walker! 

Post#41 » by JMaster5K » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:07 pm

jowglenn wrote:People talking about Walker starting were probably getting ahead of themselves. He's a 20 year old rookie! There's no need to push him into a bigger role immediately. The Pacers are deep and they can bring him along slowly but surely. There's no harm in him playing 12 minutes a game to get his reps, develop his skills and grow as a player.

Agree. If he finishes the season, having earned a consistent 18-20 minutes a game (at that point, not average for the year), with a positive impact. You have to consider that a success with a lot of upside to grow into.
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#42 » by Solid » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:11 pm

Dude looks like Gumby right now. Needs to stiffen up everything. Better that as a youngster though than looking already stiff. I think he might be like OG when he matures. Strong and flexible, with just enough length to play either forward spot. Solid defender and useful on offense. That would be great. Guys like that seem to be going for 3-4 firsts.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#43 » by JMaster5K » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:19 pm

Solid wrote:Dude looks like Gumby right now. Needs to stiffen up everything. Better that as a youngster though than looking already stiff. I think he might be like OG when he matures. Strong and flexible, with just enough length to play either forward spot. Solid defender and useful on offense. That would be great. Guys like that seem to be going for 3-4 firsts.

Yeah,. I was surprised by the preseason, to me, he looked much more decisive and effective in the summer league. In summer league he looked like he was involved in everything happening on the floor. The last game against the Cav's he looked a bit unsure? didn't seem to be working as hard on either end? but that could just be me. =/
Solid
Bench Warmer

Post#44 » by Solid » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:26 pm

I think someone must have told him that he doesn't need to launch it every time he gets his hand on it, and without that reflex he's a little unsure about what else to do.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#45 » by JMaster5K » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:48 pm

You could be right? for me, it was more easily seen on the defensive end? I was surprised in summer league how little he lost track of his man. He got burned a bit, cause he was switching, but some of the summer league only players weren't picking up his man on the switch leading to easy baskets for the bad guys. But against the Cav's he seemed a bit uncertain of where to be, or where his man had gone? if that makes any sense? =/
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#46 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:07 pm

JMaster5K wrote:You could be right? for me, it was more easily seen on the defensive end? I was surprised in summer league how little he lost track of his man. He got burned a bit, cause he was switching, but some of the summer league only players weren't picking up his man on the switch leading to easy baskets for the bad guys. But against the Cav's he seemed a bit uncertain of where to be, or where his man had gone? if that makes any sense? =/

It does. I think our system is just a lot different from what they played at Houston. Carlisle won't rush his learning.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#47 » by pacers33granger » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:39 pm

One of the pre-draft concerns with him was aversion to contact. Not that I'd expect that to change in a few months or anything but it has been very apparent.

It works if his floater is hitting but that's a tough shot and for a guy with his strength and speed, he should be going to the basket. If he attacked like Mathurin I think he'd play himself into some real minutes pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#48 » by JMaster5K » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:23 am

pacers33granger wrote:One of the pre-draft concerns with him was aversion to contact. Not that I'd expect that to change in a few months or anything but it has been very apparent.

It works if his floater is hitting but that's a tough shot and for a guy with his strength and speed, he should be going to the basket. If he attacked like Mathurin I think he'd play himself into some real minutes pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

I agree, but I think his offensive game is a long way from having the confidence that Mathurin puts on the floor. I also get his shying away from contact. Idk, but I believe (from some old articles) that he's always been one of those guys that's been big for his age? One of those kids that gets told, 'Now Jarace, you be careful around those other kids. You know you're bigger than they are.' Being a good person, you grow up with that habit. Now he's in a situation with people just as big, strong, and fast as he is, and he needs to unlearn that 'you are the biggest person in the room' habit. If that makes any sense?

At least I hope that is the case, because he wouldn't be truly 'averse' to contact, just in the habit of avoiding it, which would seem to be easier to fix than someone who truly doesn't like and consciously avoids the physicality?

That's just another reason, I see him more as a perimeter wing, than a banger. For all that he, as yet, doesn't do, what he can do, and more importantly what he could do when he's been in the league a few years, looks so promising.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#49 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:22 am

The selection of Jarace Walker (as most rookies) is based on perceived talent level from their prior action or film.

Actual NBA ready talent possibly appears during their first season. It’s way too early to determine NBA readiness of any of this year’s rookie talent level until this season plays out.

I’m not worried about Walker’s development as we have bought at least a year with Obi Toppin potentially being our future 4 until Walker becomes ready or Toppin leaves.

As stated earlier secretly the plan may morph into Walker becoming a future 3.

While we wish he becomes an immediate Star caliber player like some draftees may this year, he’s got plenty of time to learn and develop his NBA game.

I think we’re in a good spot and the organization only needs to concern themselves with getting him guidance, practice competition, G league experience if helpful for growth, and NBA minutes anytime warranted by his ability.

Remember that the stronger the team the less chance rookie talent has to gain a foothold. We’ve not had this strong of depth for a long time which creates time for Jarace Walker to not be rushed. Hopefully he remains aggressive and his talent emerges and pushes the necessity for second team minutes.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#50 » by JMaster5K » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:08 am

Pacers Forever wrote:The selection of Jarace Walker (as most rookies) is based on perceived talent level from their prior action or film.

Actual NBA ready talent possibly appears during their first season. It’s way too early to determine NBA readiness of any of this year’s rookie talent level until this season plays out.

I’m not worried about Walker’s development as we have bought at least a year with Obi Toppin potentially being our future 4 until Walker becomes ready or Toppin leaves.

As stated earlier secretly the plan may morph into Walker becoming a future 3.

While we wish he becomes an immediate Star caliber player like some draftees may this year, he’s got plenty of time to learn and develop his NBA game.

I think we’re in a good spot and the organization only needs to concern themselves with getting him guidance, practice competition, G league experience if helpful for growth, and NBA minutes anytime warranted by his ability.

Remember that the stronger the team the less chance rookie talent has to gain a foothold. We’ve not had this strong of depth for a long time which creates time for Jarace Walker to not be rushed. Hopefully he remains aggressive and his talent emerges and pushes the necessity for second team minutes.

Yup,. understand how the draft works. I am completely sold on Jarace as the pick. Believe in his talent and what he can become, probably as much or more than most. I am convinced he has an achievable ceiling as an all-star. My comments above are just a recognition that he does have a long way to go between here and there, and a bit of surprise that we didn't see the same energy in the preseason that was present in the summer league. But,.. LOL - it was summer league, this observation was in pre-season,.. and we have only just played the first game in his rookie season. It context, it's probably more of a 'talking point' with other fans of the team, than a legitimate observation. LOL =]
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#51 » by 8305 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:41 am

Listened to a Carlisle interview yesterday. He said Walker needs to be a reliable defender/rebounder. Apparently, they have not seen that from him yet.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#52 » by Tom White » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:25 pm

Pacers Forever wrote: We’ve not had this strong of depth for a long time

I know it was just one game, but let's not forget what Cleveland did to our second unit in the last pre-season game.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#53 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:34 am

I’m in agreement that so far Walker has a longer development ahead than I expected, but not worried as there’s plenty of time for things to click.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 431

Post#54 » by Grang33r » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:44 am

8305 wrote:Listened to a Carlisle interview yesterday. He said Walker needs to be a reliable defender/rebounder. Apparently, they have not seen that from him yet.

I did not see any of the preseason, but thought tonight in the small sample he did quite well defensively and essp as a rebounder.

Offensively, however, was a different story.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,192

Post#55 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:12 am

Grang33r wrote:
8305 wrote:Listened to a Carlisle interview yesterday. He said Walker needs to be a reliable defender/rebounder. Apparently, they have not seen that from him yet.

I did not see any of the preseason, but thought tonight in the small sample he did quite well defensively and essp as a rebounder.

Even in summer league he was a better passer than shooter.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,509

Post#56 » by jowglenn » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:50 pm

Grang33r wrote:

He could get to the rim pretty well. Just couldn't finish. I think partly it was probably jitters wanting to get his first NBA bucket.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#57 » by JMaster5K » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:32 am

Jarace just has more to learn to adjust to the NBA than a few of the other players drafted around him. Offensively, he needs to build consistency in his shot, fundamental skills, and reading the floor (both ends). In the last 2 preseason games he went 1/6 from 3, then 4/9 from 3. One he was on, one he wasn't. In the second of those 2 games, he had 9 rebounds, 4 assists, but also 4 turn-overs. In some games he makes good reads, some he doesn't; some he has the timing & spacing right, some he doesn't. (you see the pattern. - LOL).

Defensively he played hedge at Houston. In Indiana he is going to be asked to switch, read the screens, etc. Things he has to learn. The athleticism seems to be there. The skills seem to be there. His experience seeing, reading, anticipating in an NBA offense or defense, at NBA speeds isn't there. His consistency in applying his skills isn't there.

He is now, just a couple a months after turning 20, very, very raw. But, if he has the work ethic to keep stacking one good day after another, the experience will come, consistency will come (what that consistency looks like will depend on what he works on & how he works on it). Two to three years from now, he could (should) be the break-out player that helps the Pacers take their next step in wining games.

Or,.. I could have just had one extra cup of coffee this morning & ended up overly optimistic,... viewpoint is up to you. =]
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#58 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Nov 4, 2023 4:56 am

JMaster5K I agree that he’s talented but more raw than I thought. His immediate talent level is far below Mathurin and Nembhard as rookies last year.

Not sure about Shepherd’s level yet due to very limited minutes.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#59 » by JMaster5K » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:55 pm

Solid
Bench Warmer

Post#60 » by Solid » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:59 pm

When he's not shooting, I like him already. One must look quickly however because those moments do not last nearly long enough.
He must grasp that he's the worst shooter on the floor, and adjust accordingly. Put backs and last second busted plays for his offense. He needs to be on the Thad Young Program for a season. We could use his size and defense now.

Return to Indiana Pacers