Hello Obi Toppin

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Re: Hello Obi Toppin 

Post#41 » by Topofthekey » Thu Jul 6, 2023 10:59 am

I mean, I don't mind Toppin

But don't Pacers already have a Toppin in Isaiah Jackson?

Still, talent is talent. I don't mind this acquisition at all, but I don't anticipate Toppin to be that much more impactful than Jackson
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,187

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:10 pm

Topofthekey wrote:I mean, I don't mind Toppin

But don't Pacers already have a Toppin in Isaiah Jackson?

Still, talent is talent. I don't mind this acquisition at all, but I don't anticipate Toppin to be that much more impactful than Jackson

In that they can both grab freakish alley-pops, sure. But Obi IS much more aware offensively. He may not have much of a dribble game still, but Obi knows where to be, how to move in an offense, etc. Jackson kind of has the potential to have that same advantage defensively over Obi. But yeah, both are alley pop and lob freaks.

Basically, if you could merge the two together, you’d have an actually good player?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 6, 2023 7:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#44 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 6, 2023 8:16 pm

Obi Toppin trade isn't yet official as something must happen first. at today's press conferences they said they couldn't discuss a future deal or even mention his name. I thought at one point they said players plural. perhaps they just meant they couldn't talk about Duarte or Toppin.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 6, 2023 8:56 pm

Wizop wrote:Obi Toppin trade isn't yet official as something must happen first. at today's press conferences they said they couldn't discuss a future deal or even mention his name. I thought at one point they said players plural. perhaps they just meant they couldn't talk about Duarte or Toppin.

I don’t think there’s anything NY needs to process first. I think it’s just that the league office opens at 12noon today to start processing all the signings and trades and the Toppin move is a little further down the list in importance to be processed? :dontknow:
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#46 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:02 pm

Rumors have come out that Toppin developed a bad reputation with Thibs because he was only interested In meeting the minimum practice requirements. He didn’t want to work on his game outside of the scheduled time with the team. He’s already known as a lazy Defender. If it’s true then I’m not sure he does much better here. Carlisle went small with Nesmith (6’5) at the four because he plays hard. And I’d bet he has good practice habits.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:14 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Rumors have come out that Toppin developed a bad reputation with Thibs because he was only interested In meeting the minimum practice requirements. He didn’t want to work on his game outside of the scheduled time with the team. He’s already known as a lazy Defender. If it’s true then I’m not sure he does much better here. Carlisle went small with Nesmith (6’5) at the four because he plays hard. And I’d bet he has good practice habits.

If true, he’ll simply be out of the league in a year. If not, we’ll see? Either way, he was a top 10 pick traded for 2 “lesser of 2nds”. There’s no real value given up and he’s simply having one of 15 spots spent on him for one year.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:40 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Rumors have come out that Toppin developed a bad reputation with Thibs because he was only interested In meeting the minimum practice requirements. He didn’t want to work on his game outside of the scheduled time with the team.

He's going to get a lot of peer pressure to practice here. Buddy sets a big example. When Walker was in for his pre-draft workout, he asked if he could practice more later in the day. Bruce Brown asked to workout on his signing day - and when asked what time he'd like to do that said 6:30 in the morning.

SmashMouthRod wrote:He’s already known as a lazy Defender.

I expect the season to start with Obi playing in a lineup calling for offense and Walker for defense. time will tell whether he's lazy or was just unhappy in New York.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:49 pm

It's reported that the two second we're sending to NY are the two we got for moving down in the draft from 7 to 8. so it could be said that we traded Bilal for Walker and Toppin.

EDIT: it also appears that the two picks we got for Duarte are better picks than the two we sent out for Toppin.
Janquinn87
Freshman
And1: 110

Post#50 » by Janquinn87 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 10:48 pm

Knick fan for 45 years never heard that Obi didn't practice hard or lazy. Thibs said Obi reminds him of Taj Gibson because he played with joy and the guys like playing with him. Obi only problem was Thibs lack of imagination refusing to try him at Sf or small ball center.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#51 » by SmashMouthRod » Sat Jul 8, 2023 12:06 am

Janquinn87 wrote:Knick fan for 45 years never heard that Obi didn't practice hard or lazy. Thibs said Obi reminds him of Taj Gibson because he played with joy and the guys like playing with him. Obi only problem was Thibs lack of imagination refusing to try him at Sf or small ball center.

Taj Gibson was dam near untouchable on Thibs teams. Taj played starter mins off the bench over Booz. The knicks minute distribution suggests otherwise. Sometimes Randle was awful from the field and Obi still didnt steal minutes from him.
Janquinn87
Freshman

Post#52 » by Janquinn87 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:08 am

Thibs said Obi attitude reminded him of Taj, as for playing time Thibs like having a 7 footer on the court and very rarely played small ball. This lack of imagination limited Obi to 15 minutes even when he played great. Thibs is tied to the hip with Randle.
Janquinn87
Freshman

Post#53 » by Janquinn87 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:14 am

Thibs said Obi attitude reminded him of Taj, as for playing time Thibs like having a 7 footer on the court and very rarely played small ball. This lack of imagination limited Obi to 15 minutes even when he played great. Thibs is tied to the hip with Randle.
Janquinn87
Freshman

Post#54 » by Janquinn87 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:18 am

You guys got a steal with Obi, when he got 28 min or more he avg 24 pts on 57% from the floor and 44% from three.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 8, 2023 12:43 pm

Janquinn87 wrote:You guys got a steal with Obi, when he got 28 min or more he avg 24 pts on 57% from the floor and 44% from three.

Sure. Sometimes, though, this stat can be looked at in the inverse. It seems to be assumed that if a player is playing well, a coach might play them more minutes in a game, so Obi so rarely played well enough to earn this many minutes?

It’s not necessarily a guarantee that if you jus tokay the guy, he’ll do this. Sometimes it means they rarely play this well.
Janquinn87
Freshman

Post#56 » by Janquinn87 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 3:25 pm

Not true it didn't matter how well Obi played he was stuck to 15min a game strictly as Randle back up.I have watched every Knick game Randle could turn the ball over 3 times in a row and play no defensive whatsoever, Randle was getting his 38min a game. Thibs have a blind spot for Randle he is the only player that not held accountable due to his fragile mindset.
Janquinn87
Freshman

Post#57 » by Janquinn87 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 3:32 pm

Obi only got big minutes when Randle was in foul trouble or injured. You guys saw Obi scored 34pt and 32pt against the pacers last season. I wish your team luck.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 8, 2023 5:04 pm

Yeah, just pointing out it’s a bit of a logical fallacy to hang your hat on it is all. It could be true. But it also could point out that he rarely played well enough to earn that many minutes. Etc. That’s all.

And yup. He put up a lot of points on the tanking, no defense Pacers, late in the year, which is also why we may be super cautious of those stats. They stand out as very meaningless to us, specifically, in that they were basically earned against extremely mediocre talent.

I’m hopeful. But I’m also extremely cautious. I can’t remember the last guy that was dealt for two low tier seconds and then exploded. Sometimes they turned into usable nba players. But usually they’re out of the league in a year or two.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wizop » Sat Jul 8, 2023 5:17 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Yeah, just pointing out it’s a bit of a logical fallacy to hang your hat on it is all. It.

I'm hanging my hat on Tyrese being happy to have him.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#60 » by 8305 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 11:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Yeah, just pointing out it’s a bit of a logical fallacy to hang your hat on it is all. It could be true. But it also could point out that he rarely played well enough to earn that many minutes. Etc. That’s all.

And yup. He put up a lot of points on the tanking, no defense Pacers, late in the year, which is also why we may be super cautious of those stats. They stand out as very meaningless to us, specifically, in that they were basically earned against extremely mediocre talent.

I’m hopeful. But I’m also extremely cautious. I can’t remember the last guy that was dealt for two low tier seconds and then exploded. Sometimes they turned into usable nba players. But usually they’re out of the league in a year or two.

TJ Warren was pretty cheap.
Toppin had some decent moments in this year’s playoffs. He should have a lot of incentive to come in and work hard. If he doesn’t I’d agree he will be out of the league soon.

Return to Indiana Pacers