Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 178

Re: Moving Forward into 2023 & beyond? 

Post#41 » by JMaster5K » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:16 pm

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

LOL - So,... the Bucks get a little chippie,.. and Coach goes and resigns his favorite veteran forward,.. who also happens to have 7 professional MMA fights to his name,..... I'm not reading anything into this,.. really I'm not,..... LOLOL (mostly kidding) =}
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#42 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:32 pm

I understand the signing because he’s most likely very cheap and willing to sit on the bench.

I don’t know if he’s able to guard big centers like Jokic and others who muscle our reserve centers out of the play ? If so then he can be useful occasionally for more than his veteran knowledge he’ll pass on to the younger bigs.

So happy it wasn’t George Hill :lol: However, I wish we could’ve found a younger fix to our rebounding and defensive big man issues.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 754

Post#43 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:35 pm

I’m wondering if this move is partially about being able to send Oscar Tshiebwe back to the Mad Ants for their tournament run ?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#44 » by Wizop » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:18 pm

is it reading too much into the signing of JJ to say we don't plan to make an in-season trade? I can argue that if we wanted to deal, we'd have kept the roster spot open.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,187

Post#45 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:30 pm

Wizop wrote:is it reading too much into the signing of JJ to say we don't plan to make an in-season trade?

It absolutely is :lol:
I can argue that if we wanted to deal, we'd have kept the roster spot open.

Sure. But James can be waived as he signed a non guaranteed deal. No one will claim him. He can then be re signed immediately after. Just as it happened last year.

All you can read into this is they didn’t have a deal to do TODAY. But if they do tomorrow, it’s very easy to clear that roster spot.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#46 » by Wizop » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:15 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Sure. But James can be waived as he signed a non guaranteed deal. No one will claim him. He can then be re signed immediately after. Just as it happened last year.

but last year was after the guarantee date so we had to pay him twice. you're right that we haven't lost flexibility yet. but in a few weeks (January 7) there will be a cost to waiving him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:39 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Sure. But James can be waived as he signed a non guaranteed deal. No one will claim him. He can then be re signed immediately after. Just as it happened last year.

but last year was after the guarantee date so we had to pay him twice. you're right that we haven't lost flexibility yet. but in a few weeks (January 7) there will be a cost to waiving him.

Insanely minimal cost. As a team well under the salary cap, it’s of absolutely no concern. They’re not going to let this one signing dictate that any moves are now forbidden because of having signed James Johnson. Don’t overthink it.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#48 » by Wizop » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:31 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Insanely minimal cost. As a team well under the salary cap, it’s of absolutely no concern. They’re not going to let this one signing dictate that any moves are now forbidden because of having signed James Johnson. Don’t overthink it.

I could use that minimal amount of money. :D

but okay, not dictate, but it does seem to me that it says there were no serious discussions going on.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:22 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Insanely minimal cost. As a team well under the salary cap, it’s of absolutely no concern. They’re not going to let this one signing dictate that any moves are now forbidden because of having signed James Johnson. Don’t overthink it.

I could use that minimal amount of money. :D

Well, get in the nba! In terms of the nba, and the salary cap, James Johnson is a rounding error!

And don’t tell me you’re too old….. :wink:

but okay, not dictate, but it does seem to me that it says there were no serious discussions going on.

Maybe? But also, it’s really early. Trades just generally don’t happen now. The GLeague showcase will have all the GM’s in one site, so discussions will clearly kick off, but deadlines spur action, which is why it’s busiest around the trade deadline and the draft.

As for James signing now, it’s clear that the Pacers took immediate action after the Bucks fracas where Giannis lost his temper and tried to intimidate Haliburton and the other guys. I would say that’s the only statement they were making.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#50 » by JMaster5K » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:34 pm

2 Blurbs registering the Pacers interest in Siakam & Anunoby. Not really anything here, that hasn't already been said, without any real hints or comments from the team or local writers.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274119/Pacers-Interested-In-OG-Anunoby-Pascal-Siakam

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274117/Raptors-Pascal-Siakam-Eye-December-30-As-Deadline-For-Contract-Extension

For me,.. I just don't see it. Could be wrong,.. As many of us have commented on a number of threads, both would be nice fits,.. but,.. Siakam is 29 and only really fits if the rest of the roster is already fleshed out and ready to contend. Anunoby would be good, but is likely to be overpaid in UFA this summer, and doesn't appear to change the talent level on the team or address the rebounding issues?
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#51 » by Tom White » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:07 pm

JMaster5K wrote:2 Blurbs registering the Pacers interest in Siakam & Anunoby. Not really anything here, that hasn't already been said, without any real hints or comments from the team or local writers.

The writers feel like they have to put out all these articles, true or not. It's like the economists who have predicted 10 of the last 5 recessions. They then brag about the ones they got right, and hope everyone forgets all the times they were wrong.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#52 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:57 am

Wiretap is reporting interest in OG and Siakim. I hope this is old news.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#53 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:42 am

Wizop wrote:Wiretap is reporting interest in OG and Siakim. I hope this is old news.

I've seen these same things popping up now in 8 - 10 different places over the last few days,.. but when I run through the links or references, it all seems to point to the same sources. Those sources were speculating with no real information, other than the previous rumors. So, maybe wishful thinking on the part of a couple of Raptors podcasters / reporters?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#54 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:51 pm

Wiretap also reports that the Raps hope to extend Siakim today so he can be traded at the higher number in the summer free agency period.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#55 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:29 pm

Wizop wrote:Wiretap also reports that the Raps hope to extend Siakim today so he can be traded at the higher number in the summer free agency period.

It was reported by several writers that they (Raptors, Siakam, or both) had set today as the deadline,.. because of the 6-month 'no trade' rule if he were to be extended. If he's extended by end of day today, he can still be traded during the FA period before the league new year. If he doesn't get extended today, then the 'no trade' period will last into next year.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#56 » by JMaster5K » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:39 pm

He has so much to gain, if he can make the all-star team this year,.. and very little to lose if he doesn't.

This is why I don't think Siakam's contract situation isn't going to get settled until the FA period,...

https://www.espn.co.uk/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/38244806/nba-bonus-watch-2024-become-supermax-eligible

Siakam led the NBA in minutes played in consecutive seasons and is the only player in Raptors history to average 20 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists in a season.

He was named All-NBA in two out of the past four seasons (2019-20 and 2021-22) but has not yet met the supermax criteria. Last season he received 15 votes and ranked ninth among all forwards in All-NBA voting.

Siakam is an unrestricted free agent in 2024 and would be eligible to sign a five-year, $288 million supermax contract with Toronto if named All-NBA.

He is also eligible to sign a four-year, $192 million extension with the Raptors up until June 30.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#57 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:05 pm

JMaster5K wrote:He has so much to gain, if he can make the all-star team this year,.. and very little to lose if he doesn't.

This is why I don't think Siakam's contract situation isn't going to get settled until the FA period,...

I think max/supermax can be a contingency in a contract. Isn't that what we did with Ty?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,448

Post#58 » by boomershadow » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:06 pm

I'm personally in the "stay the course" boat. I just think that what it will take to match Siakam's (or would have for OG) salary would leave big holes in the rotation.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wizop » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:21 pm

boomershadow wrote:I'm personally in the "stay the courseç boat. I just think that what it will take to match Siakam's (or would have for OG) salary would leave big holes in the rotation.

We only have a few big contracts. Ty and Myles wouldn't be moved and that leaves Buddy and Brown.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 959

Post#60 » by Tom White » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:31 pm

It appears OG has been traded from the Raptors to the Knicks. So, mark that one off any wish-list.

Return to Indiana Pacers