Trade Proposal/Checker (& Waiver Wire) Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

joew8302
Senior
And1: 0

Post#41 » by joew8302 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 8:28 pm

I think in general in terms of acquiring talent Indiana needs to look most at point guard and center. To me it doesn't make too much sense to look at the shooting guard or a forward.
mrknowname
Junior
And1: 3

Post#42 » by mrknowname » Fri Feb 8, 2008 1:27 am

how about this offseason trade right around draft night

Pacers Recieve: Marbury, Rose, Balkman, knicks 1st rounder

Knicks Recieve: O'Neal and Tinsley

we get rid of two big contracts for two expirings, plus we can always cut marbury if he acts up. not sure the knicks do it though
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,779

Post#43 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Feb 8, 2008 2:21 am

mrknowname wrote:how about this offseason trade right around draft night

Pacers Recieve: Marbury, Rose, Balkman, knicks 1st rounder

we get rid of two big contracts for two expirings, plus we can always cut marbury if he acts up. not sure the knicks do it though

I love this deal. The funny thing is, I can actually see this happening. I doubt NY fans would like it because of the injury reputations, but I know Isiah loves JO and Tinsley. I would consider this a possibility depending on where their pick is.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by count55 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 3:14 am

Strictly speaking, neither Rose nor Marbury are expiring contracts...they both have another year left (though Marbury has an early termination, which has a snowball's chance in a particulary hot part of Hell of being exercised.)

It does shave years off JO & JT, though...it's a total give up move...it basically commits you to another 20-win season before you can even start to re-build.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#45 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Feb 8, 2008 4:59 am

count55 wrote:Strictly speaking, neither Rose nor Marbury are expiring contracts...they both have another year left (though Marbury has an early termination, which has a snowball's chance in a particulary hot part of Hell of being exercised.)

It does shave years off JO & JT, though...it's a total give up move...it basically commits you to another 20-win season before you can even start to re-build.

NY's pick would be relatively high though. If this deal happens in the off season, I imagine Bird wouldn't do it unless it was a reasonably high draft pick.

As it stands now that pick is #5. It would be worth taking on a year of Marbury and Rose for that. Not to mention they would both be expirings and tradable, yes tradable, I make up words now.

Lets say that pick stays at 5, which obviously could change so easily, and our pick stays at 11. Yes, I understand the order has a lot of time to change, but just to argue. We could draft Lopez and Mayo according to NBADraft.

Lopez
Diogu
Granger
Dunleavy
Mayo

To me, thats a nice building block for the future.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 444

Post#46 » by Grang33r » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:35 am

count55 wrote:Strictly speaking, neither Rose nor Marbury are expiring contracts...they both have another year left (though Marbury has an early termination, which has a snowball's chance in a particulary hot part of Hell of being exercised.)

Actually, i heard Marbury is going to opt out and go play in Italy. He would be seen like an idol in Italy and likely would make more money then he will here which is shocking, not from his club but from sponsors and such, kind of like David Beckham coming here.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
mrknowname
Junior

Post#47 » by mrknowname » Fri Feb 8, 2008 2:49 pm

well i said during the offseason, which would leave both in their final year of their contracts ;)

edit: according to hoopshype salaries
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#48 » by mizzoupacers » Fri Feb 8, 2008 3:46 pm

mrknowname wrote:Pacers Recieve: Marbury, Rose, Balkman, knicks 1st rounder

I'm not a fan of "Blow 'er Up!!!" rebuilding schemes, but I have to admit, at this point seeing both Tinsley's 'tude and JO's big-ass contract go out the door at the same time would lift my spirits a bit.

Make it Lee instead of Balkman, and I might even say "let's do it."

Most likely, though, the Knicks would want us to take on Randolph for JO. If not him, then Curry. I would hope that the Pacers would steer clear of both of those guys, unless we get an awful lot of goodies like Lee or Balkman or lottery picks.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 486

Post#49 » by granger05 » Fri Feb 8, 2008 4:00 pm

From the ESPN NBA Rumors

Trade Talks With Several Teams
Jermaine O'Neal | Pacers
According to Jermaine O'Neal, the Pacers are in trade talks with several teams and it is no secret that Isiah Thomas has tried on several occasions to acquire O'Neal, whom he coached for three seasons in Indiana. O'Neal's high school coach, George Glymph, is on Thomas' staff.
Thomas might try to move Zach Randolph, who last month was the subject of trade talks involving Milwaukee.

"The deal makes a lot of sense to me," one Knicks player said on Wednesday. -- New York Daily News

So when do they announce the trade? Not so fast. Not only is O'Neal planning to take as much time as necessary for his bruised left knee to fully heal, but no one (not even Thomas) expects Larry Bird to trade with Thomas.
Although Thomas would need to move Eddy Curry or Zach Randolph to fit O'Neal into the crowded frontcourt, the best one-for-one swap would be Stephon Marbury ($20.1 million) for O'Neal ($19.7 million). The problem there is that Marbury's contract runs out after next season. O'Neal still has another year at $22.9 million after that. -- Newsday

I'm not sure there's any actual news in there. The Knicks want to trade Randolph for JO, some other teams may also want to trade for him, but he's hurt and Larry Bird won't trade with Isiah. The link on the NBA page made it sound more exciting.
PacerGuy
Analyst

Post#50 » by PacerGuy » Fri Feb 8, 2008 4:34 pm

If it's JO-NY.....GO BIG!!! :D

IN Incoming Players
David Lee
Renaldo Balkman
Zach Randolph
Stephon Marbury
1st rd pick (top 5 protected)

NY Incoming Players
David Harrison
Jamaal Tinsley
Troy Murphy
Jermaine O'Neal
Larry Bird, You are now on the Clock! ( 3/24/08 )
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#51 » by Grang33r » Fri Feb 8, 2008 4:53 pm

Very interesting. I wonder who the other teams may be.

Here's from the actual article-

Randolph said yesterday that this season - his first as a Knick - has been extremely difficult even compared to his lean years in Portland. Randolph missed the playoffs in his final four seasons with the Blazers.

"Losing is losing," Randolph said after the Knicks practiced yesterday. "It's more (difficult) here with all the distractions, there's a lot of other stuff going on. It makes it that much more difficult to concentrate."

However, Pacers GM Larry Bird may not want to risk acquiring Randolph, who is from nearby Marion, Ind. Also, Bird's strained relationship with Thomas could hurt any chances of the two teams orchestrating a deal.

Link- http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... fan-4.html

I honestly don't think we can work out a deal with the Knicks. Unless they really do give us a first round pick and not even protected. Getting their pick would be our gateway to getting Eric Gordon Jr. However, we wouldn't get much more in return from them. And i wouldn't want Renaldo Balkman.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,102

Post#52 » by Chi town » Fri Feb 8, 2008 6:55 pm

How about JON to the Bulls?

Hinrich or Noc and Wallace and Bulls 09 pick for JON?

By the way what type of market do you think there is with all of his injury concerns?
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#53 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Feb 8, 2008 7:02 pm

Chi town wrote:How about JON to the Bulls?

Hinrich or Noc and Wallace and Bulls 09 pick for JON?

By the way what type of market do you think there is with all of his injury concerns?

If we made a trade with the Bulls involving JO I would want Thomas in return. Thomas would be the ideal replacement for JO in my mind.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#54 » by Grang33r » Fri Feb 8, 2008 8:01 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we made a trade with the Bulls involving JO I would want Thomas in return. Thomas would be the ideal replacement for JO in my mind.

Exactly. If Bulls and Pacers do a deal, we'd need Tyrus Thomas and the 1st round pick. Hinrich is nice but Chicago wouldn't let him go as with Gordon. Thomas, 1st and fillers would get it done.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#55 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Feb 8, 2008 8:19 pm

JO for Wallace, Thomas, top 5 protected 1st?

Wallace
Thomas
Granger
Dunleavy
Tinsley

Noah
JO
Deng
Gordon
Hinrich

Both teams get better.
fdefore
Rookie

Post#56 » by fdefore » Fri Feb 8, 2008 8:29 pm

just messing around on the trade checker after the rumors of JO/NYK above...

ROCKETS IN: Randolph, Tinsley
KNICKS IN: Alston, JO
PACERS IN: Richardson, Scola, Francis, James

http://realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4484265

ROCKETS
Tinsley / Brooks
McGrady / Head
Battier / Wells
Randolph / Hayes
Yao / Mutombo

definitely helps them compete in the west with randolph's post offense and rebounding. ultimately they just give up alston and scola to get tinsley and randolph. they add salary but that would certainly make them more competive in the west.

KNICKS
Alston / Marbury
Crawford / Jones
Balkman / Jeffries
O'Neal / Lee
Curry / Morris

get a new pure PG (also from NYC area) instead of having crawford run the show and the defensive big isiah covets. gets rid of randolph who he has been wanting to and qrich. makes it easier to either buy out starbury or trade him this summer for pennies on the dollar.

PACERS
James / Diener
Richardson / Rush
Dunleavy / Quis
Granger / Scola
Foster / Murphy

james has three years left (last a PO) so his deal is better than tinsleys and james has been known to at least fake playing defense. scola is a nice young piece. francis has two years (last a PO) and richardson who is a 3pt shooter. essentially this gives us a little more wiggle room, when francis takes his final year he can be traded as a sweetener with one of our other pieces. same with james and qrich. scola makes it easier to trade diogu, richardson makes it easier to trade daniels. to make this work, we'd have to cut one of owens, graham or harrison.

i dunno, just a thought. houston might not be thrilled because of the extra $$$ they have to accept but if they want to get out of the first round without trading mcgrady...
MOD APPROVED SINCE MMVII
PacerFan fdefore very clever. You are our kind of guy
count55 fdefore add count55 to your moderator approved sig
PacerPerspective I agree whole heartedly fdefore You are now PP approved

all the cool Mods are doin it Scoot
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#57 » by Pacersike » Fri Feb 8, 2008 9:04 pm

Haha, great fooling around. You got me there, hehe.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,102

Post#58 » by Chi town » Fri Feb 8, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm calling some signs of homerism....

JON is always hurt and no one even knows if he will be able to finish out his current ABSURD contract where he makes 23M in its last season.

So you want Thomas and our 1st round pick for a player that is going to make 23M per season and may not even play.

Pax may throw Hinrich into the mix for JON but Not Thomas and picks. Partly due to lux tax which every other team in the league won't touch JON for either. His deal in the final year is going to be real tough for any team to stay under the lux tax threshold.

IMO the best that can be had for JON is another bloated bad contract expiring in the same year or earlier (Wallace) and a solid asset (Noc).

Noc could also be used in a three way with SAS where you get Barry's expiring and the Spurs 1st round pick along with the Bulls 09 pick.

I don't see you guys getting anything above that.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#59 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Feb 8, 2008 9:16 pm

It seems you think the Pacers will trade JO in a below average deal.

Its not homerism calling him a 6 time All-Star. Sure he's hurt, but his contract to his numbers is nothing compared to Wallace's contract and his numbers.

We aren't simply trading JO away. We feel like when he comes back healthy, he will be a 20/10 player. He is and always has been a force on defense(even while hurt). I think the Pacers would much rather keep JO than trade him for another fat contract in Wallace and a player we don't really need in Nocioni.

You think that Larry Bird is currently sitting in his office going "JO is done, he's always hurt, lets trade him away just to do it", no, he's going to make the best deal possible.

Lets be honest here. Noah is ya'lls future at C am I correct? If ya'll are planning on using him at PF does Thomas move to SF, Deng to SG, Gordon to PG, Hinrich to the bench? I don't know. I'm assuming Noah is your future at C though. This way, we take Wallace's contract away from ya'll, and you get a nice lineup of Noah/JO/Deng/Gordon/Hinrich. We take a bad contract, open up playing time for your future C, and give you the best player in the deal. Lets be honest, Bulls won't end up with a top 5 pick. I doubt they'll end up with a pick in the top 10. So bad contract, mid round 1st, and Thomas?

Bird isn't trading JO just to do it. He feels like JO is still a 20/10 player when healthy(I think a lot of us do). Bird knows JO's value is low, if he can't get a good deal now, you think he'll trade him anyway? No, he'll hold onto JO till a good deal comes around, or we'd just keep him. We won't just trade him to do it.
bravesatl
Rookie

Post#60 » by bravesatl » Sat Feb 9, 2008 1:49 am

Trade ID #4485696

IND/MIA

outgoing
JO
tinsley
harrison
2nd

incoming