With the 26th pick, the Pacers select Ben Sheppard!

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,775

Re: With the 26th pick, the Pacers select Ben Sheppard! 

Post#21 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:51 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Tom White wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:I'm not gonna root against this guy but what the hell do the Pacers need with another guard?

Did you expect for them to draft a front court guy like TJD and make instant fans out of at least half the state?

With the 26th pick and a team with no forward depth, they pick another freaking guard! This guy is 6'5''.

I wanted size, TJD was a low risk pick, and Julian Strawther was my other guy. Look at the measurables on those guys. Strawther is off the board on the 29th pick, there was also Brice Sensabaugh if you want a SF,

There'd better be some trades or we're looking like the same mess we were last year.

TJD was low risk? If he was low risk he wouldn’t have gone 57th. I hope he has a great career but if he had played at Colorado instead of Indiana he wouldn’t even be mentioned on this board.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#22 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:56 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Tom White wrote:
Did you expect for them to draft a front court guy like TJD and make instant fans out of at least half the state?

With the 26th pick and a team with no forward depth, they pick another freaking guard! This guy is 6'5''.

I wanted size, TJD was a low risk pick, and Julian Strawther was my other guy. Look at the measurables on those guys. Strawther is off the board on the 29th pick, there was also Brice Sensabaugh if you want a SF,

There'd better be some trades or we're looking like the same mess we were last year.

TJD was low risk? If he was low risk he wouldn’t have gone 57th. I hope he has a great career but if he had played at Colorado instead of Indiana he wouldn’t even be mentioned on this board.

So this team drafts 3 guards Wong won't even make the Ants! :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#23 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:59 am

Topofthekey wrote:They found Nembhard last year though. Hopefully Sheppard's like that as well

But Davis would have been an interesting pick

Team needed forwards not more 6'5'' guards. TJD, Strawther, Leonard Miller, Sensabaugh.

I don't even know why I bother to give a rats...
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#24 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:01 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I had 4 guys that all looked better than this guy. They could have had him at 40 but they traded that to the LAL for cash.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 746

Post#25 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:01 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Of course I have only watched a few of his IU games over the years. I would have sworn that he was better than his teammate who went early first round. Interesting how talent is judged. Funny how I got sucked into believing he was good enough to be picked 29-32nd.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#26 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:02 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I’m not saying we should have taken a guard. I’m not saying Wong is better than TJD. You said TJD was low risk. Low risk picks don’t go 57th especially after playing 4 years of college ball. The Pacers could have whiffed but so did every other team in the NBA. I hope he kills it, seems like a great kid. Better fit than Wong, very possible… low risk…. No way.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:06 am

Next in the long line of failed draft picks, Scott Haskin, Shawne Williams, Brandon Rush, Soloman Hill, Miles Plumlee, TJ Leaf, Aaron Holiday, Goga and now Sheppard! And in this guy King and Wong with him.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#28 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:10 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:Next in the long line of failed draft picks, Scott Haskin, Shawne Williams, Brandon Rush, Soloman Hill, Miles Plumlee, TJ Leaf, Aaron Holiday, Goga and now Sheppard! And in this guy King and Wong with him.

Wacko you are one of my favorite posters and someone smarter than me may have some numbers to support this, but the amount of failed picks in the late 1st and 2nd rounds is very high. This is not an exclusive Pacer problem.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#29 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:18 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

I’m not saying we should have taken a guard. I’m not saying Wong is better than TJD. You said TJD was low risk. Low risk picks don’t go 57th especially after playing 4 years of college ball. The Pacers could have whiffed but so did every other team in the NBA. I hope he kills it, seems like a great kid. Better fit than Wong, very possible… low risk…. No way.

You know as well as I do that when a guy plays 4 years and is 23 teams think he's already as good as he's gonna get. They looked at Davis and say, "He shot no 3 pointers at IU. He can't play PF in the nba."

A 26th pick is late enough that it's low risk, this guy they took is 22 in a month, so was that the issue? Probably not, oh yeah remember when they took TJ leaflet over guys like OG, Collins, Allen and Kuzma, even Josh Hart would have been better. Oh but TJ could shoot and those other guys can't... Now TJ is stacking groceries at a Kroger store somewhere!

By the time you get to the 2nd round which is mostly garbage time it's low risk on every player you take, you can waste picks like we did tonight, or you draft you 9th and 10th guard! Team has no forwards, TJD was nearly the National player of the year! I'm not saying pick him in the 7 spot! Do you even know what risk means? Pick 47 expectation of making the team .0001% most of the time. So you take a shot at the guy that other passed on, like Jokic at 40 in 2014.

Going into a draft with 4 picks in the top 32 and coming out with one real prospect and some guards for the G-League team! Pathetic.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#30 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:22 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Next in the long line of failed draft picks, Scott Haskin, Shawne Williams, Brandon Rush, Soloman Hill, Miles Plumlee, TJ Leaf, Aaron Holiday, Goga and now Sheppard! And in this guy King and Wong with him.

Wacko you are one of my favorite posters and someone smarter than me may have some numbers to support this, but the amount of failed picks in the late 1st and 2nd rounds is very high. This is not an exclusive Pacer problem.

Good teams draft well in the late 1st round. Solo hill could have been Gobert, Plumlee could have been Middleton or Dremond Green, and Holiday could have been Brunson, Leaflet could have been OG. Good teams took those guys we took garbage!

Time for me to get the hell off for while!
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#31 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:27 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

You know as well as I do that when a guy plays 4 years and is 23 teams think he's already as good as he's gonna get. They looked at Davis and say, "He shot no 3 pointers at IU. He can't play PF in the nba."

A 26th pick is late enough that it's low risk, this guy they took is 22 in a month, so was that the issue? Probably not, oh yeah remember when they took TJ leaflet over guys like OG, Collins, Allen and Kuzma, even Josh Hart would have been better. Oh but TJ could shoot and those other guys can't... Now TJ is stacking groceries at a Kroger store somewhere!

By the time you get to the 2nd round which is mostly garbage time it's low risk on every player you take, you can waste picks like we did tonight, or you draft you 9th and 10th guard! Team has no forwards, TJD was nearly the National player of the year! I'm not saying pick him in the 7 spot! Do you even know what risk means? Pick 47 expectation of making the team .0001% most of the time. So you take a shot at the guy that other passed on, like Jokic at 40 in 2014.

Going into a draft with 4 picks in the top 32 and coming out with one real prospect and some guards for the G-League team! Pathetic.

He went 57th. If he’s low risk he goes WAAAAY before 57th. He may turn out to be a helluva NBA player and I hope he is. But if he’s low risk he doesn’t go to 57. It’s not my opinion, when he goes that late it is just a fact.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#32 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:29 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

Good teams draft well in the late 1st round. Solo hill could have been Gobert, Plumlee could have been Middleton or Dremond Green, and Holiday could have been Brunson, Leaflet could have been OG. Good teams took those guys we took garbage!

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. Not saying we’ve been great late, but very few have. I can go find you many many teams that also passed on those players. You forgot Jokic… coulda had him too.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#33 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:30 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

He went 57th. If he’s low risk he goes WAAAAY before 57th. He may turn out to be a helluva NBA player and I hope he is. But if he’s low risk he doesn’t go to 57. It’s not my opinion, when he goes that late it is just a fact.

It's called Group Think!
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#34 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:31 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

It's called Group Think!

Sure.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#35 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:32 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

It's called Group Think!

It’s ok if you over values him. It’s ok if you are right and all the GMs are wrong. Low risk he was not.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#36 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:35 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. Not saying we’ve been great late, but very few have. I can go find you many many teams that also passed on those players. You forgot Jokic… coulda had him too.

The pacers didn't have a pick in 2014, that's why I left Jokic out of what I was saying. They did pick 57th and it was some guy who never played, sent it to the NYK.

From what I wrote above, I wanted Green over Plumlee, Brunson over Holiday, and Collins, OG, Allen and Hart over Leaf. I'll admit that I didn't know anything about Gobert, or Middleton but how hard was it to see that Hill was a scrub?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:37 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

It's called Group Think!

It’s ok if you over values him. It’s ok if you are right and all the GMs are wrong. Low risk he was not.

You have to be kidding me! at 47? Unless there are some great moves made in the next phase of the coming season we're looking at 32-35 wins again.

I'm out!
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#38 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:17 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
It's called Group Think!

You have to be kidding me! at 47? Unless there are some great moves made in the next phase of the coming season we're looking at 32-35 wins again.

I'm out!

You called him low risk at pick 26. Look at the name of this thread. You didn’t like the Sheppard pick and you were clamoring for TJD. I don’t disagree on your outlook on next year but who we picked at 26 was not going to change how many games significantly. You really like TJD and that’s cool. I was surprised he slid like he did. There’s also a lot of information that you and I aren’t privy to health, workouts, etc. Or the scouts thought he was a very good college player that’s game didn’t translate well to the NBA.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#39 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:26 am

Pacers_Freak wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

I'm out!

You called him low risk at pick 26. Look at the name of this thread. You didn’t like the Sheppard pick and you were clamoring for TJD. I don’t disagree on your outlook on next year but who we picked at 26 was not going to change how many games significantly. You really like TJD and that’s cool. I was surprised he slid like he did. There’s also a lot of information that you and I aren’t privy to health, workouts, etc. Or the scouts thought he was a very good college player that’s game didn’t translate well to the NBA.

I wanted a forward not another 6'5'' guard. TJD yeah, Leonard Miller, Julian Strawther all would have worked.

The Pacers Front office is good on trades but they suck unless they are at the top of the draft, I am ok with Walker. But these guys blew it with these guards. They should have just traded all the picks and got drunk on some moonshine.

So who is out so that Sheepherd is in? He plays the same spot as Mathurin and Duarte, but they also have Nesmith who is really a guard too, all the same size. You want to trade Hield, ok fine but still need the salary to make the minimum. Where is that coming from.

These Bozo's running this team better have something lined up, otherwise it's going to look like an under 6'5'' AAU team. And don't tell me about Jalen Smith and Isiah Jackson, "OH they forwards and maybe centers..." They also stink, couldn't beat out a 6'5'' Nesmith at PF last year. Oh wait there's Nwora.

The management of this team is incoherent at best, they make a good move then go right back to their foolish ways.

Get ready for 35 wins at best and picking 8th again. We're turning into the Charlotto Hornets.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#40 » by Wizop » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:07 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Unless there are trades in the works

there is no unless. we have to get to the minimum payroll so we know the final roster is not set. R-E-L-A-X
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers