Starter
And1: 746

Re: Hello Obi Toppin 

Post#3 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:19 pm

6’9” 220 lb PF

Career Stats
PTS 7.0 TRB 3.0 AST 0.9 FG% 49 3Pt% 32 FT% 76

Contract $6,803,012

Have to hope for a break out now. A lot to work on and hopefully it’s consistency.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 955

Post#4 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:25 pm

Finally. A front court player with front court size. I'm not that familiar with his play because I don't generally watch the Knicks. But, I've seen several on here (and elsewhere) speak well of him.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,228

Post#5 » by Stannis » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:30 pm

He actually puts up numbers when he's starting. If Indiana gets anywhere near those numbers, this trade is a steal.
Free Palestine
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,016

Post#6 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:33 pm

Ya'll got a steal, for only 2 2nd rounders too. Would've liked to see more of a return on him as a Knicks fan.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#7 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:35 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:Ya'll got a steal, for only 2 2nd rounders too. Would've liked to see more of a return on him as a Knicks fan.

Do you think the Knicks are clearing space to obtain a player like Dame or Williams ?
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,016

Post#8 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:37 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:Ya'll got a steal, for only 2 2nd rounders too. Would've liked to see more of a return on him as a Knicks fan.

Do you think the Knicks are clearing space to obtain a player like Dame or Williams ?

I doubt it. I don't think we're in the running for Dame.
This offseason is kinda limited for the Knicks. We really waiting on next offseason. What we really should've done is traded Randle not Obi.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:40 pm

Stannis wrote:He actually puts up numbers when he's starting. If Indiana gets anywhere near those numbers, this trade is a steal.

That is part of what I have heard. When Julius Randle missed games due to injury, Toppin stepped in and filled the void well.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,228

Post#10 » by Stannis » Sat Jul 1, 2023 7:49 pm

Tom White wrote:
Stannis wrote:He actually puts up numbers when he's starting. If Indiana gets anywhere near those numbers, this trade is a steal.

That is part of what I have heard. When Julius Randle missed games due to injury, Toppin stepped in and filled the void well.

Lot of those games were meaningless (towards the end of the season). Some of them were actually competitive.

But, yeah, I'm happy that he'll be getting more minutes and wish him the best. And I'm looking forward to see if he has what it takes or if all those stat-lines were fools gold. He never got his fair chance with New York.

I still think this is very low-risk/high-reward trade for the Pacers.
Free Palestine
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#11 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 1, 2023 8:12 pm

Copied this quote from a writer or sports commentator who someone posted on the Knicks website.

“Obi Toppin has started 15 regular-season games in his career and averaged 20.6 points per game in those starts.

We can disagree on his upside, but he absolutely has more to give than Tom Thibodeau let him show.”

I get the sense that Knicks fans are divided on whether Randall should have been traded or Toppin. Also they don’t seem happy with Thibs or GM Leon and his poor drafting.

Guess we should count our blessings that K P is trying hard to put talent around Tyrese. Toppin is a low risk possible high reward gamble for 2 2nd round picks. I believe he’s a free agent next year unless the Pacers extend him?
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,500

Post#12 » by jowglenn » Sat Jul 1, 2023 8:45 pm

Is this a three team deal with the 2nds from Duarte going to NY?

Duarte for Toppin probably the most rehashed trade idea of the last year and finally it’s sort of happened
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,344

Post#13 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sat Jul 1, 2023 8:48 pm

Obi gona finally have the freedom to BALL out and be rewarded for his play

dumb **** trade, **** reggie miller
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 417

Post#14 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 1, 2023 9:08 pm

Tom White wrote:Finally. A front court player with front court size. I'm not that familiar with his play because I don't generally watch the Knicks. But, I've seen several on here (and elsewhere) speak well of him.

I don't know what type of defender he is, never watched him in college and didnt see enough Knicks games to know, but his explosive high flying offensive game seems to be a perfect fit with Tyrese and this offense. I hope he can play defense.

Just thinking about Tyrese and Toppin on a fast break... will be hard to stop.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,171

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 1, 2023 10:58 pm

Grang33r wrote:
Tom White wrote:Finally. A front court player with front court size. I'm not that familiar with his play because I don't generally watch the Knicks. But, I've seen several on here (and elsewhere) speak well of him.

I don't know what type of defender he is, never watched him in college and didnt see enough Knicks games to know, but his explosive high flying offensive game seems to be a perfect fit with Tyrese and this offense. I hope he can play defense.

Just thinking about Tyrese and Toppin on a fast break... will be hard to stop.

He’s not a good defender. At all. It’s why Thibs wouldn’t play him. He loses track of guys and loses interest in the play.

On offense, he’s explosive. He’s great in transition. He’s a tremendous straight line driver. But he’s not got much of a dribble game, where he can really only take one or two on a drive before he has trouble controlling it. He’s not a reliable shooter. But he’s a great cutter and can slip behind the defense like none other. He’ll dunk with the best of them. But he needs a LOT of development to be more than just a 20 minute per night garbage time offense type of guy.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Tom White » Sat Jul 1, 2023 11:25 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
He’s not a good defender. At all. It’s why Thibs wouldn’t play him. He loses track of guys and loses interest in the play.

But he’s not got much of a dribble game, where he can really only take one or two on a drive before he has trouble controlling it.........He’s not a reliable shooter........But he needs a LOT of development to be more than just a 20 minute per night garbage time offense type of guy.

Talk about bringing my hopes back down to earth.
Pacernation
Senior
And1: 960

Post#17 » by Pacernation » Sat Jul 1, 2023 11:32 pm

Great deal. Nobody cares about 2nds and if he sucks we just let him go. Love this move. Can he play a lick of defense though?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 2, 2023 12:13 am

Pacernation wrote:Great deal. Nobody cares about 2nds and if he sucks we just let him go. Love this move. Can he play a lick of defense though?

Not really. If he could, Thibs would never trade him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 2, 2023 12:13 am

Pacernation wrote:Great deal. Nobody cares about 2nds and if he sucks we just let him go. Love this move. Can he play a lick of defense though?

KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,344

Post#20 » by KnixtapeH20 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 12:46 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

You know nothing about Obi Toppin or the Knicks w this statement...

He was traded bc Julius Randle is Thibs pet. They tied at the hip no matter how bad Randle plays, no player accountability, no matter how good Obi plays he was never rewarded.

He improved his game every season,that includes his defense

Return to Indiana Pacers