Bruce Brown?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Bruce Brown? 

Post#61 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:32 am

Spates wrote:Hey, I'm back with another vomit inducing trade idea. What do you think?

This shows the Sixers trading a #1 pick in 2024. Sorry that violates the Stepian Rule, they owe their pick to OKC in 2025 protected 1-6. They can't give this year's #1 because they very likely will have to give next year's pick to OKC.
Spates
Sixth Man
And1: 1,297

Post#62 » by Spates » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:31 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Spates wrote:Hey, I'm back with another vomit inducing trade idea. What do you think?

This shows the Sixers trading a #1 pick in 2024. Sorry that violates the Stepian Rule, they owe their pick to OKC in 2025 protected 1-6. They can't give this year's #1 because they very likely will have to give next year's pick to OKC.

The picks aren't significant. I can read the blurb. I'm curious about opinions on the roster changes and how that impacts competitiveness.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#63 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:46 pm

best trade I've come up with in the checker is Brown, Hield, and Smith for Siakim and McDaniels. picks could be needed but the dollars work. I think there's a good chance that none of those three will be back next year anyway. have players talked - short of tampering?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,412

Post#64 » by boomershadow » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:23 am

Hopefully Brown ends up a footnote as the guy we had half a season then traded for All-NBA talent. But honestly he was a pretty awesome FA pickup. Solid starter. Could do a bit of everything. Helped get the team to the IST finals game. Hats off, dude.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 417

Post#65 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:35 am

boomershadow wrote:Hopefully Brown ends up a footnote as the guy we had half a season then traded for All-NBA talent. But honestly he was a pretty awesome FA pickup. Solid starter. Could do a bit of everything. Helped get the team to the IST finals game. Hats off, dude.

100% agree. I really enjoyed watching him. His consistency wasn't exactly the best, he had several duds essp early in the season but for the most part he was pretty key for them. I think Brown is a great asset to a team but i do think he got paid too much and his best role in the NBA is that 6th men role, which theres nothing wrong with. The role he played with Denver when they won the title.

Heard Toronto was still going to try and flip him, so maybe he'll still end up on a team going on a long playoff run.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#66 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:03 am

Saw a report on twitter from Ian Begley suggest that the Knicks will be actively trying to land Brown before the deadline.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,171

Post#67 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:47 am

Grang33r wrote:Saw a report on twitter from Ian Begley suggest that the Knicks will be actively trying to land Brown before the deadline.

They should! If Toronto can get the Detroit protected first NY owns and Fournier’s expiring, they should consider it.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,066

Post#68 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:56 pm

Should the Raps keep him as the "vet" of this young squad moving forward? Or ship him off to a contender?
Does he possess any leadership qualities? Is he vocal?
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 480

Post#69 » by granger05 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:23 pm

Hollinger as an articleup about the Siakam deal today. I was surprised by this bit:

Everyone knew the Toronto Raptors needed to get something for Pascal Siakam before he hit free agency. Everyone knew the Indiana Pacers needed an upgrade at power forward and were shopping for talent. And it was an open secret in league circles that Bruce Brown was unhappy in Indiana, and his contract was essentially structured this summer to be a salary match for exactly this type of trade. The only thing to haggle over were the details.

There wasn't any more information in the article. Brown was starting and playing more minutes for us than he had at any point in his career. I don't know why he would have been notably unhappy in Indy.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:40 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Should the Raps keep him as the "vet" of this young squad moving forward? Or ship him off to a contender?
Does he possess any leadership qualities? Is he vocal?

Hard to say since he was kind of signed in as a "tradeable contract" to a growing, but established, locker room culture? He seemed well liked. He seemed to like his teammates. He didn't seem to be unhappy, despite that Hollinger article (which, that part seems kind of out of nowhere? Never been reported or intimated before).

But, he's a hard working and reliable guy. And he can do a ton of different little things for your roster. It's up to y'all, I guess?
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#71 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:01 pm

granger05 wrote:Hollinger as an articleup about the Siakam deal today. I was surprised by this bit:

Everyone knew the Toronto Raptors needed to get something for Pascal Siakam before he hit free agency. Everyone knew the Indiana Pacers needed an upgrade at power forward and were shopping for talent. And it was an open secret in league circles that Bruce Brown was unhappy in Indiana, and his contract was essentially structured this summer to be a salary match for exactly this type of trade. The only thing to haggle over were the details.

There wasn't any more information in the article. Brown was starting and playing more minutes for us than he had at any point in his career. I don't know why he would have been notably unhappy in Indy.

This is indeed very interesting.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:37 pm

Grang33r wrote:
granger05 wrote:Hollinger as an articleup about the Siakam deal today. I was surprised by this bit:

This is indeed very interesting.

From what I’m hearing, Indy media is pretty surprised with this. He wasn’t in love with being in Indiana, but he was pretty happy overall, especially with his salary.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 746

Post#73 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:57 pm

My feeling is Brown was happy about the money offered and couldn’t pass it up. I think that he enjoyed his teammates here. It’s probable that he didn’t have a better monetary offer when joining the Pacers from a team he’d rather have played for. I still sense that he didn’t want to leave the nuggets but knew they couldn’t afford him and he couldn’t take less money at this point in his career.

I feel like he either didn’t like his role here or he didn’t like that he wasn’t considered a long term player in the Pacers quest for a championship run. Hard to say if he wasn’t happy but understandable if he was. Mathurin is the future here. I am just speculating of course.

Currently Bruce Brown is a fiesty competitor that fits in with a strong team and is like a jack of all trades in a complimentary way to stars. Definitely not a centerpiece or dominant player yet better than a role player.

For Toronto I don’t see Bruce as a leader they might need. Feels more like a capital piece obtained to not lose Siakam in free agency with nothing in return. Since the Raptors are now in rebuilding mode I can’t see him there very long more so a vessel to gain more capital for their rebuild.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 480

Post#74 » by granger05 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:04 am

There was a wiretap article back in June about Brown wanting to stay in Denver. I live in Colorado and posted this there:

granger05 wrote:The Nuggets are limited in what they can offer so it isn't a case of dealing with luxury tax to keep him which I think gets a lot of championship teams in trouble. Bruce Brown is a perfect fit on the Nuggets, but he needs to get paid while the iron is hot. No fan will begrudge him. Outside of coming back to Denver during a playoff series where he's on the other side, every game he plays here will feature a video clip of his plays during these finals and the crowd will go nuts. He will stay beloved even after just one season here. Come back in a few years after your next contract runs out and enjoy the rest of your career as a folk hero.

It made sense for him to get the bag and worked out for all involved, but I could see it being a bummer on his end to not get to stay on a team that you had success with. I do remember seeing an interview where he talked about not having the ball in his hands as much. I think Jokic is an amazing passer, but he isn't as ball-dominant as we've had Haliburton playing this year. I'm sure that probably affected Brown's experience. My guess is just that it's more a function of how happy he was with Denver. I still bet he ends up back there someday now that he's been paid.

Also, Haliburton has ducked me the last two seasons now and hasn't been available for the games against the Nugs.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#75 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:24 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Why was he given a contract like that?

I assume it was structured to get us to the required minimum this year while maintaining flexibility for next year. if we want to make a run at Siakim next summer, we could let Brown and Hield go to get cap space. trading him now for someone on a long term contract would reduce our ability to play in next summer's free agent market.

Anyone besides me think it's kinda odd that I came up with this question 5 days before was traded?
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 171

Post#76 » by JMaster5K » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:55 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Why was he given a contract like that?

I assume it was structured to get us to the required minimum this year while maintaining flexibility for next year. if we want to make a run at Siakim next summer, we could let Brown and Hield go to get cap space. trading him now for someone on a long term contract would reduce our ability to play in next summer's free agent market.

Anyone besides me think it's kinda odd that I came up with this question 5 days before was traded?

Naw,... mate, we kinda expect the unexpected and odd from you,... That's why you're one of us,.. and we enjoy you being around! =}
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#77 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:33 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Naw,... mate, we kinda expect the unexpected and odd from you,... That's why you're one of us,.. and we enjoy you being around! =}

Not everyone likes what I have to say. I don't pull punches in this or real life. I'm a retired Kick boxer, and I'm too old to bs around with the weak and coddle them, so anyone who can't take the heat can get out of the Kitchen.

I thought Brown's contract was absurd when they signed him, but the story was they needed to make the floor. OK, but then the 1+1? I'm going WTF? If this guy was so great why not give him the $22 million 1st yr and decrease it over the next two. Why put him on a 1 year deal with team option. The only answer I had was that they planned on trading him at or around the Deadline. And that's what happened. Brown and Nwora cost the team nothing really. So like I said to someone else today, my objection to the trade after thinking about it was that 2026 pick, still rubs me the wrong way. The big IF is IF Siakam does not resign with the Pacers and I guess he's making noises like he wants to sign.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#78 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:39 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:If this guy was so great why not give him the $22 million 1st yr and decrease it over the next two. Why put him on a 1 year deal with team option.

the first year was house money. we needed to get to the minimum payroll. the team option let us cut bait or renegotiate year two. that's much more team friendly that a guaranteed contract at a decreased amount.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#79 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:53 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:If this guy was so great why not give him the $22 million 1st yr and decrease it over the next two. Why put him on a 1 year deal with team option.

the first year was house money. we needed to get to the minimum payroll. the team option let us cut bait or renegotiate year two. that's much more team friendly that a guaranteed contract at a decreased amount.

Well I think I was right about Brown when they signed him, I said he was terribly over paid. And it appears I was on it again when I figured that he'd be used as a trade balancer. If what we are hearing is true that Brown was not happy with Indiana it's probably because he realized that he was not in their plans and knew he was gonna get traded.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 746

Post#80 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:32 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Not everyone likes what I have to say. I don't pull punches in this or real life. I'm a retired Kick boxer, and I'm too old to bs around with the weak and coddle them, so anyone who can't take the heat can get out of the Kitchen.

I thought Brown's contract was absurd when they signed him, but the story was they needed to make the floor. OK, but then the 1+1? I'm going WTF? If this guy was so great why not give him the $22 million 1st yr and decrease it over the next two. Why put him on a 1 year deal with team option. The only answer I had was that they planned on trading him at or around the Deadline. And that's what happened. Brown and Nwora cost the team nothing really. So like I said to someone else today, my objection to the trade after thinking about it was that 2026 pick, still rubs me the wrong way. The big IF is IF Siakam does not resign with the Pacers and I guess he's making noises like he wants to sign.

The 2026 first round pick will be a late round pick if the Pacers start making the playoffs on the regular. I believe that is why the Pacers were willing to give it up.

The draft will not be as important moving forward. The crafting of the roster will become trading assets and free agency unless they acquire a lesser teams picks by dealing.

Return to Indiana Pacers