Coaches comments on rotation after Siakam & road trip.

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 171

Coaches comments on rotation after Siakam & road trip. 

Post#1 » by JMaster5K » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:55 pm

Coach Carlisle comments on developing Walker as a '3'?.... I think I've heard that before?.... (from several people.)

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2024/01/22/pacers-vs-suns-rick-carlisle-re-considering-rotation-with-siakam/72236675007/
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,412

Re: Coaches comments on rotation after Siakam & road trip. 

Post#2 » by boomershadow » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:50 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Coach Carlisle comments on developing Walker as a '3'?.... I think I've heard that before?.... (from several people.)

I think we all thought his natural position would be 4, but with Siakam on the team the only options are explore his ability to play the 3 or leave him stuck playing only backup 4 minutes for the foreseeable future, and that would just be a shame for a rookie with such potential.
Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#3 » by Adrian Street » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:38 am

Walker has incredible potential as a big 3. In his last 2 games combined, he has played 38 mins, scored 25 pts and grabbed 11 rebs. He has guarded everyone from De'aaron Fox to Booker and Durant. A starting lineup I would like to see would be:

1. Hali
2. Nesmith
3. Walker
4. Siakam
5. Turner

I think that lineup could give any team fits on both ends
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#4 » by JMaster5K » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:31 am

boomershadow wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Coach Carlisle comments on developing Walker as a '3'?.... I think I've heard that before?.... (from several people.)

I think we all thought his natural position would be 4, but with Siakam on the team the only options are explore his ability to play the 3 or leave him stuck playing only backup 4 minutes for the foreseeable future, and that would just be a shame for a rookie with such potential.

@Boomer

From a post back in October of last year:

I guess I see him a bit different than most,... I think he'll be a 3/4. Might even grow into a starting 3. Coach has a history of taking smaller college 4's with movement skills and defense, and developing them into real quality 3's to fit his passing game and NBA defense. He did it with Ron Artest in 03-04 in Indy, when Artest was the league defensive player of the year. He's also done it with Jae Crowder, Justin Anderson, Dorian Finney-Smith, etc while in Dallas.

If his shot comes around, (I am a believer it will.) his floor game is already as good, or nearly as good as most of those guys. So, at this point, still raw, all potential, but the opportunity should be there, if he wants to take it.

About that same timeframe, we had a several good discussions on a couple of threads about Walker's future. There were a number of people on here that agreed that his future was likely at the 3. =} (That's why I phrased the first line like that - This group as a discussion group was a few months ahead of the sportswriters,.. again.) =}

It all goes back to the fact of his physical measurements,... Walker has a 8'8.5" standing reach,.. that puts him slightly taller than Mathurin, about the same as Nesmith, and sorta 1.5-3 inches smaller than most 4's. That's a lot of verticality to lose, and his other skills, athletic traits almost scream 3. (handle, passing, driving, use in the high short roll - though many 4's do that now as well, ability to cover ground on defense, etc.) For me,.. if he hits his ceiling, he could be another 2003-04 Ron Artest, possibly even better as a more complete player?
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#5 » by Solid » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:14 pm

Adrian Street wrote:Walker has incredible potential as a big 3. In his last 2 games combined, he has played 38 mins, scored 25 pts and grabbed 11 rebs. He has guarded everyone from De'aaron Fox to Booker and Durant. A starting lineup I would like to see would be:

1. Hali
2. Nesmith
3. Walker
4. Siakam
5. Turner

If Ty could defend his position that would be a good team. For the foreseeable future it's hard to believe that we won't need Nembhard to start pretty often. Which exposes a weakness we can't as yet overcome. We have to hide our best player and start a one at the two. A too small backcourt is often our best option and that's a problem.
Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#6 » by Adrian Street » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:02 pm

Solid wrote:
Adrian Street wrote:Walker has incredible potential as a big 3. In his last 2 games combined, he has played 38 mins, scored 25 pts and grabbed 11 rebs. He has guarded everyone from De'aaron Fox to Booker and Durant. A starting lineup I would like to see would be:

1. Hali
2. Nesmith
3. Walker
4. Siakam
5. Turner

If Ty could defend his position that would be a good team. For the foreseeable future it's hard to believe that we won't need Nembhard to start pretty often. Which exposes a weakness we can't as yet overcome. We have to hide our best player and start a one at the two. A too small backcourt is often our best option and that's a problem.

I see Sheppard developing into a very good 2/3 as well. I just don't understand why Walker is still not getting off the bench every other game with all that he adds to the team.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,176

Post#7 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:29 pm

Tony East says on his podcast that our best defensive lineup could be

Nembhard
Sheppard
Nesmith
Siakam
Turner

Sheppard played the entire 4th quarter last night (Nuggets).
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#8 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:53 pm

Wizop wrote:Tony East says on his podcast that our best defensive lineup could be

Nembhard
Sheppard
Nesmith
Siakam
Turner

Sheppard played the entire 4th quarter last night (Nuggets).

I like it! Maybe not as a starting unit,.. cause well,.. Ty,... LOL =] But yeah, as an analysis of our defensive option, I do like it. CC said in her last guest podcast that Nemhard was both statistically and in observation, our best defender. Nesmith wasn't that far behind him. Sheppard is quicker and faster than both with some real defensive chops (conference defensive player of the year in his last college season),... he just doesn't yet have the experience in the scheme, or the NBA to be a consistent part of the rotation (IMO). But, from what I saw of the Denver game,... he was really, really good in his specific role defensively.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizop » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:58 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Sheppard is quicker and faster than both with some real defensive chops (conference defensive player of the year in his last college season),... he just doesn't yet have the experience in the scheme, or the NBA to be a consistent part of the rotation (IMO). But, from what I saw of the Denver game,... he was really, really good in his specific role defensively.

Caitlin now has an article online discussing Sheppard.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#10 » by JMaster5K » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:02 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Sheppard is quicker and faster than both with some real defensive chops (conference defensive player of the year in his last college season),... he just doesn't yet have the experience in the scheme, or the NBA to be a consistent part of the rotation (IMO). But, from what I saw of the Denver game,... he was really, really good in his specific role defensively.

Caitlin now has an article online discussing Sheppard.

Thank you. Was a good read. =]
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#11 » by JMaster5K » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:58 pm

Caitlin discussion with Samson Folk of Raptors Republic about Pascal & what the Pacers should expect.

This one is outside her Paywall at Patreon, intended for general view. Thought I would link it here, so that people who haven't joined her Patreon get a chance to see the quality & value of the content.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/pascal-siakams-w-96748381
Wizop
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizop » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:05 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Caitlin discussion with Samson Folk of Raptors Republic about Pascal & what the Pacers should expect.

It is probably also on YouTube. Search for raptors as well as pacers.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#13 » by JMaster5K » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:10 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:Caitlin discussion with Samson Folk of Raptors Republic about Pascal & what the Pacers should expect.

It is probably also on YouTube. Search for raptors as well as pacers.

It is,... :}

either link will work for anyone, but the first one will also let anyone that wants to, see & sampler her other free articles.

Return to Indiana Pacers