Pacers trade rumors & speculation thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,182

Re: Pacers trade rumors & speculation thread 

Post#61 » by Wizop » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:59 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think it’s important to remember that players have to agree to an extension. A team can’t just decide whether or not to extend a guy and it happens. We offered Buddy a solid extension, and one that included a renegotiation and extension earlier in the season. He reportedly wanted to not lock himself into a forever bench spot, and knows that Mathurin/Nembhard (and now maybe even Sheppard) are destined to play ahead of him.

And Stix may not want to be stuck behind Myles.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 173

Post#62 » by JMaster5K » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote: If you extend Buddy now on something team friendly, you could more easily salary match a deal for someone in that $20m range. Etc.

Or you could make that trade now, but if you bring him back at a lower salary, you've lost that trade possibility.

Yeah. I’m a believer in moving Buddy for someone that in a smaller deal, but one that’s going into next year.

So, if we get into the summer & Stix opts out. We have around 29M to stay under the threshold,.. how would you prioritize the group?.... For me,.. I think Stix is the priority?... I would want him in that 15-18 M range. Not just because he's earned it, and is likely to maintain that level of value, but also, that would give us the flexibility of keeping or moving either Stix or Myles.

I think (but could be wrong) that Stix has a pretty strong value based on his play this year, and the way teams seem to be valuing 2-way, in-out centers. I don't think a contract in the 15-18 range would go underwater for Stix? I'm not sure about OB1? Do we think he could hold value with a contract in the 18M range?... I'm sure Buddy could, but think that is already out of the question?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#63 » by Wizop » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:03 pm

I think Stix hopes to start somewhere. But if we lose him we have Jackson and could fill the third spot with Oscar or Bell
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 173

Post#64 » by JMaster5K » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:12 pm

Wizop wrote:I think Stix hopes to start somewhere. But if we lose him we have Jackson and could fill the third spot with Oscar or Bell

Yeah,. that could be possible. If he does and he is going to leave,.. maybe we sign OB1 to something over the non-tax MLE?... like 15M range to keep another contract in the 'flexible filler' range?....
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,968

Post#65 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:08 am

jarryd3107 wrote:

Timelord + Thybulle for Hield + 2nds? I don’t hate it. Kind of reminds me of when Indy signed Andrew Bynum, I got quite excited about it and then he just never played.

Williams can't stay healthy. I'd like to have him backing up Turner but he's hurt more than LeHurt was.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,175

Post#66 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:55 pm

Wouldn’t say this is an omen. Just a sign of good planning?

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=4P34sFh22Otrr6CybjJQ_g
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:20 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=jYPPXwUlm02fAaE9rSSACw
GreatBuchinsky
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#68 » by GreatBuchinsky » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:56 pm

Been thinking about the trade deadline and next offseason since we will no longer be operating as a team with space.

Possible Free Agents
Hield
Toppin
Siakam
Smith
Johnson

Committed Salaries for 24-25 $100,289,455 (assuming Smith opts out)
Projected Cap - $142m
Projected Tax - $172.6m

I assume ownership prefers not to pay the tax which will give us about $72.3m to work with (drops to $65m if Haliburton makes All-NBA which feels unlikely now). Siakam can probably be locked in for starting salary of $42.6m which leaves us at around $29.7m to fill up to 5 additional roster spots? I'd like to see Smith retained in the $9-12m range. That would leave room for another $15-17m player then a couple vet min guys. The trade deadline is going to be very telling on the longer term plan. If Buddy/Toppin aren't traded I assume one will be the beneficiary of a Bruce Brown 1+1 type of tradeable deal this offseason.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:30 pm

GreatBuchinsky wrote:Been thinking about the trade deadline and next offseason since we will no longer be operating as a team with space.

Possible Free Agents
Hield
Toppin
Siakam
Smith
Johnson

Committed Salaries for 24-25 $100,289,455 (assuming Smith opts out)

Yes. Assuming Haliburton misses enough games that he wouldn't qualify for All-NBA and thus, only gets the 25% max, this would be accurate, I think.
Projected Cap - $142m
Projected Tax - $172.6m

Currently, yes. I'm still assuming that we'll see the cap/tax "smoothed" and end up with the 10% cap rise, so it could end up at $149.6m?
I assume ownership prefers not to pay the tax which will give us about $72.3m to work with (drops to $65m if Haliburton makes All-NBA which feels unlikely now). Siakam can probably be locked in for starting salary of $42.6m which leaves us at around $29.7m to fill up to 5 additional roster spots? I'd like to see Smith retained in the $9-12m range. That would leave room for another $15-17m player then a couple vet min guys. The trade deadline is going to be very telling on the longer term plan. If Buddy/Toppin aren't traded I assume one will be the beneficiary of a Bruce Brown 1+1 type of tradeable deal this offseason.

I could see Indy trying to trade up for a bit of an earlier 2nd round pick using our 3 projected late ones on the books already for this year, so you could see an absolute league minimum type deal for a player or two? A vet minimum or two, and yeah, you're looking at possibly a Bruce Brown type deal, or the Pacers could look at using their full non-taxpayer MLE worth of exception to sign a player or two? There's a lot up in the air, and kind of all depends on Haliburton's All-NBA candidacy (he can only miss 3 more games before he has to apply for an "extraordinary exception"), Siakam's re-signing (god, I hope so), and the results of next week's trade deadline?

But hey, this is a helluva debut post! Love the thought and machinations here. Welcome aboard!
Wizop
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizop » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:58 pm

GreatBuchinsky wrote:If Buddy/Toppin aren't traded I assume one will be the beneficiary of a Bruce Brown 1+1 type of tradeable deal this offseason.

I think we sign Toppin to a deal similar to Nesmith's. I'd love to sign Smith to a similar deal but expect the market to offer him more and expect he wants to start somewhere. I don't think Buddy would accept a contract that low but we can hope.

I'm not behind the notion of framing a contract in anticipation of dealing the player mid-year, but I'm old.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:31 pm

Wizop wrote:
GreatBuchinsky wrote:If Buddy/Toppin aren't traded I assume one will be the beneficiary of a Bruce Brown 1+1 type of tradeable deal this offseason.

I think we sign Toppin to a deal similar to Nesmith's. I'd love to sign Smith to a similar deal but expect the market to offer him more and expect he wants to start somewhere. I don't think Buddy would accept a contract that low but we can hope.

I'm not behind the notion of framing a contract in anticipation of dealing the player mid-year, but I'm old.

I really doubt that Obi signs the same deal Nesmith did. Especially to be a backup, 100%. Is he going to want the chance to start? Because he definitely doesn’t have that in Indy.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#72 » by jarryd3107 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:25 am

This is kind of wild, although I’d imagine Hield plays relatively more minutes when Haliburton is out. Sheppard playing really well probably doesn’t bode well for Hield’s time in Indy, it’ll be interesting to see which way they go with it.

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=o5J4TmXfMC5behYOFsfNUg[/x]
Ruaidri
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#73 » by Ruaidri » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:28 am

I was checking Atlanta, because there it is not going how it should be. So I was thinking maybe they like an expiring contract.

We would like Hield to stay longer, but we are on a budget if we want to keep Siakam.

So I saw that Bogdanovic has 3 years left after this year. With a decline contract. Is the same age as Hield and for my feeling same kind of player.

I believe this could be a trade that makes sense for both teams.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:39 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:This is kind of wild, although I’d imagine Hield plays relatively more minutes when Haliburton is out. Sheppard playing really well probably doesn’t bode well for Hield’s time in Indy, it’ll be interesting to see which way they go with it.

[x]
Read on Twitter

Even MORE interesting is they’re responding with that to what’s widely believed to be a Buddy burner Twitter account :lol:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 958

Post#75 » by Tom White » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:16 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:This is kind of wild, although I’d imagine Hield plays relatively more minutes when Haliburton is out. Sheppard playing really well probably doesn’t bode well for Hield’s time in Indy, it’ll be interesting to see which way they go with it.

[x]
Read on Twitter

Who is the person you are quoting? Just some random guy? Why should we trust him?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:39 pm

Tom White wrote:

[x]
Read on Twitter

Who is the person you are quoting? Just some random guy? Why should we trust him?

Nate is just a guy on Twitter. The 242boss account is the one that is widely rumored to be Buddy's secret personal twitter account.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 750

Post#77 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:28 am

Ruaidri wrote:I was checking Atlanta, because there it is not going how it should be. So I was thinking maybe they like an expiring contract.

We would like Hield to stay longer, but we are on a budget if we want to keep Siakam.

So I saw that Bogdanovic has 3 years left after this year. With a decline contract. Is the same age as Hield and for my feeling same kind of player.

Very even stats comparison for this season. Bogdanovic is scoring a few more points per game for the Hawks because he’s playing a few minutes more per game than Hield. Defense rating is very similar.

I’m not against this move but don’t see it improving the team enough. Salary wise it would be better than Hield will probably agree to. Hopefully the Pacers can find a better fit that plays better defense.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#78 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:33 am

Pacers Forever wrote:So I saw that Bogdanovic has 3 years left after this year. With a decline contract. Is the same age as Hield and for my feeling same kind of player.

Alex Golden talks this up on his latest podcast but I don't see it.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:22 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Ruaidri wrote:I was checking Atlanta, because there it is not going how it should be. So I was thinking maybe they like an expiring contract.

Very even stats comparison for this season. Bogdanovic is scoring a few more points per game for the Hawks because he’s playing a few minutes more per game than Hield. Defense rating is very similar.

I’m not against this move but don’t see it improving the team enough. Salary wise it would be better than Hield will probably agree to. Hopefully the Pacers can find a better fit that plays better defense.

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:So I saw that Bogdanovic has 3 years left after this year. With a decline contract. Is the same age as Hield and for my feeling same kind of player.

Alex Golden talks this up on his latest podcast but I don't see it.

I think it's exactly the type of "salary slot" or long-term contract we'd hope to get out of a Buddy trade. Because, unless we trade both Mathurin and Nembhard at the trade deadline, and don't bring back a guard in those deals, I don't think Buddy is returning next year.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#80 » by Wizop » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:59 am

Scoot McGroot wrote: I don't think Buddy is returning next year.

That I agree with.

Return to Indiana Pacers