Pacers trade rumors & speculation thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Re: Pacers trade rumors & speculation thread 

Post#81 » by Solid » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:57 am

So we might trade Buddy for a guy that's owed fifty or sixty million. Even if he's not very useful. Because then later we'd have more flexibility for trading that new guy for someone else, who could be useful. Is that it?
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#82 » by jarryd3107 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:51 am

Tom White wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:This is kind of wild, although I’d imagine Hield plays relatively more minutes when Haliburton is out. Sheppard playing really well probably doesn’t bode well for Hield’s time in Indy, it’ll be interesting to see which way they go with it.

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=o5J4TmXfMC5behYOFsfNUg[/x]

Who is the person you are quoting? Just some random guy? Why should we trust him?

I’m confused, you don’t need to trust him. Just go add up the record for yourself and note Buddy’s minutes. Just saw the tweet, wanted to share the insight but didn’t want to take credit for it so shared the tweet.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,175

Post#83 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:13 pm

Solid wrote:So we might trade Buddy for a guy that's owed fifty or sixty million. Even if he's not very useful. Because then later we'd have more flexibility for trading that new guy for someone else, who could be useful. Is that it?

Bogdan? It’d be trading Buddy for a guy equally as good, a bit better on defense, and under contract in an affordable deal for a couple more years, while Buddy has made it clear he’s unlikely to return for a similar cost?

It’s not just to keep a salary slot alive. It’s to have a solid piece at a fair salary for multiple years and also keep the salary spot alive.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 958

Post#84 » by Tom White » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:22 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:I’m confused, you don’t need to trust him. Just go add up the record for yourself and note Buddy’s minutes. Just saw the tweet, wanted to share the insight but didn’t want to take credit for it so shared the tweet.

Sorry, just re-read my post and It did come off as my being a bit in "attack" mode. Didn't intend that to be the case. I don't do Twitter, and often see people quoting a twitter post from someone I have never heard of before, so I get curious as to who that person (the twitter person) may be, what outlet they may work for, or what connections they may have and want to find out about their credibility.

Again, didn't intend it personally. just bad wording on my part.
GreatBuchinsky
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#85 » by GreatBuchinsky » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Solid wrote:So we might trade Buddy for a guy that's owed fifty or sixty million. Even if he's not very useful. Because then later we'd have more flexibility for trading that new guy for someone else, who could be useful. Is that it?

Bogdan? It’d be trading Buddy for a guy equally as good, a bit better on defense, and under contract in an affordable deal for a couple more years, while Buddy has made it clear he’s unlikely to return for a similar cost?

It’s not just to keep a salary slot alive. It’s to have a solid piece at a fair salary for multiple years and also keep the salary spot alive.

Bogdan is a really nice player on a friendly contract. I still think we are going to run into an issue of balancing a really deep team with getting decent development and minutes for the younger guys - Mathurin, Nembhard, Jarace, Shepperd and IJax. I'm in favor of some type of consolidation, just now sure what that move is.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 174

Post#86 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:40 pm

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions about Bones Hyland?...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:49 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Anyone have any thoughts, opinions about Bones Hyland?...

He’s grated on two competitive locker rooms now. Can’t really get myself to want to add him when he wouldn’t really have a clear run at any minutes, and would likely be an issue?
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#88 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:21 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

He’s grated on two competitive locker rooms now. Can’t really get myself to want to add him when he wouldn’t really have a clear run at any minutes, and would likely be an issue?

Thanks Scoot. =}

Was reading a piece today that mentioned him,... There was some suggestion that he was trying to develop on teams that had all star talent & just wasn't getting the minutes / development time?...but it also implied that there was more to the story?... I've never really followed him, so thought I'd ask. =}

You say there were / are rumblings of him not getting along well?....
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,183

Post#89 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:27 pm

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#90 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:33 pm

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

+10 :D
GreatBuchinsky
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#91 » by GreatBuchinsky » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:06 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

100% Agree - I don't see where Bones would fit in the rotation. If we make another move it's got to be for a 3&D type of player not another guard or center.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,183

Post#92 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:13 pm

Buddy is playing his way out of interest to contenders.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#93 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:36 pm

GreatBuchinsky wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

100% Agree - I don't see where Bones would fit in the rotation. If we make another move it's got to be for a 3&D type of player not another guard or center.

Thanks guys,... wasn't really considering him as a target for the Pacers. Was wondering what happened to him as a player, if anyone knew?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:59 pm

Wizop wrote:Buddy is playing his way out of interest to contenders.

Eh, they know what he brings. And he’s historically always played well when he’s new somewhere.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 958

Post#95 » by Tom White » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:25 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Eh, they know what he brings. And he’s historically always played well when he’s new somewhere.

Yeah. Something has happened to him this year, and it is a drastic change. Maybe being demoted to the bench is playing with his psyche? He just isn't himself this year.
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#96 » by Solid » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:33 pm

Nether Buddy or Myles are useful without Ty.
Now that there is another good big on the floor, Myles has regressed to his Sabonis days.
Smith/Pascal is better than Myles/Pascal. And I've been defending Turner for years.
Turner/Pascal 122 min 1.1 net rating.
Smith/Pascal 66 min 9.0 net
Obi/Pascal 48 min 22.4 net
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:15 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yeah. Something has happened to him this year, and it is a drastic change. Maybe being demoted to the bench is playing with his psyche? He just isn't himself this year.

He didn’t get his “big” contract and he’s probably playing “less free”, which is messing with his game?
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#98 » by JMaster5K » Sat Feb 3, 2024 10:43 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

He didn’t get his “big” contract and he’s probably playing “less free”, which is messing with his game?

You may have hit it on the head,.. but with more recency? Buddy played some good games earlier in the year,... even as recently as a month ago?... Since the trade for Pascal, it just seems like his heart isn't in it? Like the Pacers found someone else about his age that is in the long term plans & that has just pointed out how much he isn't? Combine that with hoping to be some other place? with a contender? we have a week to go in FA & he's still here? doesn't look like the contract or the market have developed the way he thought they would?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 3, 2024 1:15 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

You may have hit it on the head,.. but with more recency? Buddy played some good games earlier in the year,... even as recently as a month ago?...

Kind of coincides with Sheppard getting a ramp up in practice, and playing well on the court, no? Could it be he sees ANOTHER young wing the team will likely see as his possible replacement?
Since the trade for Pascal, it just seems like his heart isn't in it? Like the Pacers found someone else about his age that is in the long term plans & that has just pointed out how much he isn't? Combine that with hoping to be some other place? with a contender? we have a week to go in FA & he's still here? doesn't look like the contract or the market have developed the way he thought they would?

Historically, deadlines spur action. That there have already been a couple huge trades is a bit of an outlier, historically, as usually trades don’t happen until the week before the deadline. Usually, markets don’t develop until the day or two before the deadline.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#100 » by JMaster5K » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

You may have hit it on the head,.. but with more recency? Buddy played some good games earlier in the year,... even as recently as a month ago?...

Kind of coincides with Sheppard getting a ramp up in practice, and playing well on the court, no? Could it be he sees ANOTHER young wing the team will likely see as his possible replacement?
Since the trade for Pascal, it just seems like his heart isn't in it? Like the Pacers found someone else about his age that is in the long term plans & that has just pointed out how much he isn't? Combine that with hoping to be some other place? with a contender? we have a week to go in FA & he's still here? doesn't look like the contract or the market have developed the way he thought they would?

Historically, deadlines spur action. That there have already been a couple huge trades is a bit of an outlier, historically, as usually trades don’t happen until the week before the deadline. Usually, markets don’t develop until the day or two before the deadline.

You make a good point. Did Sheppard's increased time not sit well with Buddy? or was Buddy already showing signs that he wasn't as committed & the coaches decided to give minutes to Sheppard?.... idk?

Yup,... understand completely that historically markets don't generally come to value or action until the deadline. Also, that this hasn't been a typical year. Was just thinking out loud (guessing) about what might be impacting Buddy? Cause something seems to be?

Return to Indiana Pacers