Haliburton hamstring injury

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 480

Haliburton hamstring injury 

Post#1 » by granger05 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:42 pm

I looked for a previous topic to bump, but didn't find one. I don't like this wiretap headline:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274390/Tyrese-Haliburton-Out-At-Least-Three-Games-To-Manage-Hamstring-Injury

That certainly feels like we allowed Haliburton to come back earlier than he should have. I don't think you hear enough about team's medical crews. Obviously, every injury is different and these things are hard to predict and navigate. However, we do seem to have a history of mismanaging injuries and I do not want to see Haliburton go down this route.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,174

Re: Haliburton hamstring injury 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:14 pm

granger05 wrote:I looked for a previous topic to bump, but didn't find one. I don't like this wiretap headline:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274390/Tyrese-Haliburton-Out-At-Least-Three-Games-To-Manage-Hamstring-Injury

That certainly feels like we allowed Haliburton to come back earlier than he should have. I don't think you hear enough about team's medical crews. Obviously, every injury is different and these things are hard to predict and navigate. However, we do seem to have a history of mismanaging injuries and I do not want to see Haliburton go down this route.

I think it’s important to remember that Haliburton has a HUGE personal interest in coming back as soon as possible. With the new CBA , a player has to play 65 games to qualify for All NBA teams, and if Haliburton makes All-NBA, then he gets a 30% max as opposed to a 25% max.

It may have been that the team trainers messed up. It also could have been that Haliburton convinced them to let him return, or he was amped to try and play against Sacramento, and amped to play with Siakam in his first game for the Pacers.
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by granger05 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:32 pm

I'm sure that all of that is true, but it's also important to remember that I DON'T LIKE IT.
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by granger05 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:54 pm

I do expect that with these new game minimums, we are going to see some players "start" a game and then get immediately subbed out or otherwise briefly checked into games they aren't physically able to play in. There's too big a financial incentive for players not to want to hit the minimum and the teams will want to do them a solid. It will make averages drop, but a game or two won't matter much.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 172

Post#5 » by JMaster5K » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:11 pm

granger05 wrote:I do expect that with these new game minimums, we are going to see some players "start" a game and then get immediately subbed out or otherwise briefly checked into games they aren't physically able to play in. There's too big a financial incentive for players not to want to hit the minimum and the teams will want to do them a solid. It will make averages drop, but a game or two won't matter much.

I didn't realize until earlier this week, that there's a number of minutes for a game to count?....

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/more-details-emerge-on-new-nba-cba-including-details-on-65-game-threshold-for-awards

You have to play at least 20 minutes in 63 of the 65,... you are allowed 2 'near misses' of 15 minutes, to make up the 65.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,180

Post#6 » by Wizop » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:46 pm

let's hope it doesn't extend past these three tough games.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
granger05
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by granger05 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:06 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
granger05 wrote:I do expect that with these new game minimums, we are going to see some players "start" a game and then get immediately subbed out or otherwise briefly checked into games they aren't physically able to play in. There's too big a financial incentive for players not to want to hit the minimum and the teams will want to do them a solid. It will make averages drop, but a game or two won't matter much.

I didn't realize until earlier this week, that there's a number of minutes for a game to count?....

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/more-details-emerge-on-new-nba-cba-including-details-on-65-game-threshold-for-awards

You have to play at least 20 minutes in 63 of the 65,... you are allowed 2 'near misses' of 15 minutes, to make up the 65.

Thanks, that's interesting. I would assume for some awards like Rookie of the Year and 6th man of the Year, players aren't always getting to that limit even if they're regularly in the rotation. I foresee that there will be complaints about this around the margins. I understand what the league is doing and wanting to ensure that their best players are on the court, but I suspect this will require some tweaks.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 750

Post#8 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:29 pm

Wizop wrote:let's hope it doesn't extend past these three tough games.

I believe he’ll be back and I’m more concerned about his replacement.

I know McConnell can get the offense going but he’s been getting tired and Nembhard has been playing poorly probably due to injuries or inexperience.

I was thinking to my self if they trade Hield they might want to acquire another point guard or 2 way guard.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,174

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:37 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Wizop wrote:let's hope it doesn't extend past these three tough games.

I believe he’ll be back and I’m more concerned about his replacement.

I know McConnell can get the offense going but he’s been getting tired and Nembhard has been playing poorly probably due to injuries or inexperience.

I was thinking to my self if they trade Hield they might want to acquire another point guard or 2 way guard.

Nembhard is battling a thoracic spinal strain.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 172

Post#10 » by JMaster5K » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:14 am

granger05 wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Thanks, that's interesting. I would assume for some awards like Rookie of the Year and 6th man of the Year, players aren't always getting to that limit even if they're regularly in the rotation. I foresee that there will be complaints about this around the margins. I understand what the league is doing and wanting to ensure that their best players are on the court, but I suspect this will require some tweaks.

I have to agree with you. There are some 'appeals' for not making it in the CBA, but, they require 1. A season ending injury 2. A very high degree of proof that the team was actively not playing the player to deliberately keep him from meeting the goal, or 3. extreme circumstances - which both the league and Players Association have said they included, but can't see any arguments ever being accepted to actually comply.

I keep thinking,... what if Ty plays 63 games,... and the Pacers WANT to offer him the 35% max?... they can't,.. they aren't allowed to because he hasn't qualified. Thankfully, he is on a rookie extension, so they can include language that bumps it to 35% if he achieves one of the milestones before his extension actually starts. What about veterans who don't have that option?....

Like you, I get the reasoning behind this. I just am not convinced that this the right way to go about this? Nor am I convinced that tying a players max options solely to all league status makes good sense? Also, not convinced that the league offices, run by Silver, have the business creativity to come up with anything better?....

Return to Indiana Pacers