Hicks v Knicks 2/1/24 & 2/10/24

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Hicks v Knicks 2/1/24 & 2/10/24 

Post#21 » by 8305 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:41 pm

boomershadow wrote:Toppin got some more time at small forward in this one. I really wanna see a Jackson/Smith/Toppin combo

I could see Jackson, Smith and Siakam front court. To me if Pacers play 3 bigs Siakam has to be one of them.
Will Pacers feel compelled to resign Smith this summer because he might be better than Turner?
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 172

Post#22 » by JMaster5K » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:31 pm

8305 wrote:
boomershadow wrote:Toppin got some more time at small forward in this one. I really wanna see a Jackson/Smith/Toppin combo

I could see Jackson, Smith and Siakam front court. To me if Pacers play 3 bigs Siakam has to be one of them.
Will Pacers feel compelled to resign Smith this summer because he might be better than Turner?

That I-Jax, Stix, OB1 combo could produce a lot of options on a second unit?... depending on matchups of course,.. with the ability to Stix on a mobile big,.. OB on a less mobile big,.. with I-Jax on the big perimeter wing?.. at the very least,. the rebounding should be excellent,.. defense shouldn't be that bad,.. with Smith & OB able to shoot the 3, use I-Jax in the dunker spot on offense?.....
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,180

Post#23 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:06 pm

The lack of defensive rebounds has to be at least partly scheme rather than talent or effort. that said, Oscar will rebound with the best of them.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#24 » by Solid » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:24 pm

New practice attire. Make the biggest sissy wear a skirt until he man up and can pass it off. Don't leave out the coaches.
If you wear it for a whole week you get traded to the Fever.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 957

Post#25 » by Tom White » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:54 pm

Just some additional thoughts after the last few games.

I have been a supporter of Turner, but even my patience is wearing thin. Missing "bunnies" at the rim, lack of rebounding, and being almost invisible in some games has me thinking something needs to change. Would anyone consider starting Smith instead? Or is the pairing of Turner and Siakam just not working well.....at least at this point? Does he simply not pair well with ANY other big man?

That brings me to Siakam. Man, he has an odd style of play. Keith Moon used to describe the Who's music as "music to fall down stairs to". That is the best comparison I can think of for describing Pascal's style of play. I can picture how it might be difficult for other players to adapt to him. Is that part of what is happening to Turner? Difficulty adjusting to a new running mate?

We need McConnell back. Nembhard does some things well, other things....not so well. Maybe it is his youth, but he drives me nuts at times. TJM would cure some of those times.

Whatever is wrong with Hield needs to be cured. He is having a real negative impact right now, and for most of this year. I don't know the answer, but it needs addressed.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#26 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:18 pm

CC has a video up on the game. She attributes a lot to trying (unsuccessfully) to stop Brunson.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,968

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:06 pm

Wizop wrote:I was nervous as we gave up the lead but when we went down six I relaxed knowing we would lose

The Knicks defense was what did it. That and their huge rebounding advantage. Hartenstein looked like beast on the boards, Hart and Achiwa all were in double figures.

How about that Jalen Brunson? I remember that 2018 draft we were watching on TV and my Great Nephew was all in for DeVincenzo when he was picked by the Bucks, I said ok we can still get Brunson but no we took Aaron Holiday! :crazy:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#28 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:21 pm

Wizop wrote:The lack of defensive rebounds has to be at least partly scheme rather than talent or effort. that said, Oscar will rebound with the best of them.

I'm mystified by Turner and his play, some nights he's great some nights he's trash. Last night he was barely there. I had him on my draft kings team and he sucked. Meanwhile Hartenstein and Precious looked like monsters dominating the rebounds. Turner got into foul trouble and was just not effective after his 3rd foul. He was not very effective before that.

I've been one of Turner's biggest advocates here and in other places, but I'm starting to think they might want to trade him in the off season or if a great offer can be had now.

I'm pretty sure that Zach Edey could do a better job and he can be gotten in the 2nd round. There's a huge kid at U Conn who might be a possible 2nd round steal as well. Donovan Clingan he's not as good at rebounding as Edey but he's 2 years younger.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,418

Post#29 » by boomershadow » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:18 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
8305 wrote:

That I-Jax, Stix, OB1 combo could produce a lot of options on a second unit?... depending on matchups of course,.. with the ability to Stix on a mobile big,.. OB on a less mobile big,.. with I-Jax on the big perimeter wing?.. at the very least,. the rebounding should be excellent,.. defense shouldn't be that bad,.. with Smith & OB able to shoot the 3, use I-Jax in the dunker spot on offense?.....

Yeah I was thinking as the second unit. Assuming Turner and Siakam get the majority of the starter minutes.

I'm in the minority here but I've always preferred Smith as a 4 than a 5. He just isn't big enough to play center full time in my book. His hustle and physicality let him keep up with many centers bigger than him, but it looked overwhelming for opposing 4s when he was starting there this year. And his offensive game is decent, but not enough to really decimate teams by "going small" the way you can with some 4/5s.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#30 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:24 pm

boomershadow wrote:I'm in the minority here but I've always preferred Smith as a 4 than a 5.

but with Siakam and Toppin we have 4 taken care of and the need is backup 5. he's doing fine there including last night.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizop » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:31 pm

Read on Twitter
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#32 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 10:20 pm

Wizop wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would not be shocked if they are all rested.
JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 172

Post#33 » by JMaster5K » Sat Feb 3, 2024 10:29 am

boomershadow wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
8305 wrote:I could see Jackson, Smith and Siakam front court. To me if Pacers play 3 bigs Siakam has to be one of them.

Yeah I was thinking as the second unit. Assuming Turner and Siakam get the majority of the starter minutes.

I'm in the minority here but I've always preferred Smith as a 4 than a 5. He just isn't big enough to play center full time in my book. His hustle and physicality let him keep up with many centers bigger than him, but it looked overwhelming for opposing 4s when he was starting there this year. And his offensive game is decent, but not enough to really decimate teams by "going small" the way you can with some 4/5s.

Yeah,... I think I'm in the other boat,.. LOL =} By 'big enough' do you mean weight / strength? or length?

If I trust a little bit in the things that have been measured,... he's got the length to be a true 5. Not a huge one, like Queta, or Bomba, or Myles,.. but close enough,... As a true 5 he would be more than average length. If you mean weight / strength,.. then I'm right there with you. He really bulked up over the summer. It really helped his game,... but again in terms of numbers,.. he 'bulked up' to right around average weight for a 4,.... ??
Wizop
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wizop » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:17 am

One of my granddaughters is in a play tonight so I'm not watching.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#35 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:43 am

I thought the Pacers should have won that first game but when they took Ty out they looked like a rabble.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,418

Post#36 » by boomershadow » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:32 am

JMaster5K wrote:
boomershadow wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Yeah,... I think I'm in the other boat,.. LOL =} By 'big enough' do you mean weight / strength? or length?

If I trust a little bit in the things that have been measured,... he's got the length to be a true 5. Not a huge one, like Queta, or Bomba, or Myles,.. but close enough,... As a true 5 he would be more than average length. If you mean weight / strength,.. then I'm right there with you. He really bulked up over the summer. It really helped his game,... but again in terms of numbers,.. he 'bulked up' to right around average weight for a 4,.... ??

Weight and height, really.

This was a fun win. That crazy assist has popped up all over the place.

Return to Indiana Pacers