2024 Off-Season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 171

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#81 » by JMaster5K » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:08 pm

Wizop wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:What do you guys think of DeMar DeRozan?
I wouldn't. we have Nembhard, Mathurin, and Sheppard all of whom deserve PT and development. Plus, Walker and K_Brown may also turn out to be wings.

but assuming we beat the Bucks, I might change my desire for a veteran after I see what happens in round 2.

Yeah,.. I'm with ya. Pacers have a number of different ways they could go depending on how this Playoff goes & what that means for the future? Including how that plays into Pascal's plans after this year?

On DeMar, kinda torn? If we resign Pascal, I can see him being a difference maker now. Being a mentor that actually elevates the play of Shep, Andrew, Aaron, Benn, & Jarace,... long term, but only has a season or two before he needs someone to outplay & replace him? I will admit, that is with Rose colored glasses. (Jalen Rose that is,... sorry, couldn't resist.)

But could also see us back in the quagmire of too many talented wings & not enough time,.... =/
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#82 » by JMaster5K » Sat May 4, 2024 10:27 am

Anyone else think there's going to be quite a bit of movement this offseason?.... Looking at Philly's cap situation, they might be some competition?
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,169

Post#83 » by Wizop » Sat May 4, 2024 12:35 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Anyone else think there's going to be quite a bit of movement this offseason?.... Looking at Philly's cap situation, they might be some competition?

I think Philly and the LA teams will be very active. I do not think we will be,
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 952

Post#84 » by Tom White » Sat May 4, 2024 1:16 pm

Wizop wrote:I think Philly and the LA teams will be very active. I do not think we will be,

Yep. Assuming everyone returns, the main change to the team will come through the younger players gaining experience and maturing. This takes into consideration that both Stix and Siakam return.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#85 » by JMaster5K » Sat May 4, 2024 2:03 pm

Tom White wrote:
Wizop wrote:I think Philly and the LA teams will be very active. I do not think we will be,

Yep. Assuming everyone returns, the main change to the team will come through the younger players gaining experience and maturing. This takes into consideration that both Stix and Siakam return.

Yeah,.. I was thinking league wide,... not necessarily us. Compared to most of the league we are comparatively set. I just get the feeling that there will be a number of teams looking to consolidate & define their rosters this year? With a down draft & the latest round of restrictions from the new CBA?.... just seems like there is going to be more movement than normal across the league?..

The 'rumors' I keep reading about Philly 'wanting' LeBron, PG, etc, etc,.... I just don't really buy them. Sounds like sportswriters trying to drum up clicks? If I was in Philly's shoes,.. I'd be looking at Pascal (they were supposed to be the other team interested in him at the trade deadline); OG, DeMar; probably Beal, depending on what the Suns might attach to clear the cap sheet?..... Makes me hope we come to an agreement with Spicy P early.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 952

Post#86 » by Tom White » Sat May 4, 2024 3:44 pm

JMaster5K wrote:The 'rumors' I keep reading about Philly 'wanting' LeBron, PG, etc, etc,.... I just don't really buy them. Sounds like sportswriters trying to drum up clicks?

If you are talking (at least in part) about the Wiretap section at the top of the page? Yes, I agree. A lot of it appears to be click-bait from writers who just need to put something, anything out there. Heck, according to that section there are a few teams, each of whom are always interested in almost every player out there, whether those players are even remotely available or not.

Kind of the way Jon Gruden's name gets linked to every coaching rumor, whether that team is interested or not. Man, he must have a heck of a PR team.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#87 » by JMaster5K » Sat May 4, 2024 4:15 pm

Tom White wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:The 'rumors' I keep reading about Philly 'wanting' LeBron, PG, etc, etc,.... I just don't really buy them. Sounds like sportswriters trying to drum up clicks?

If you are talking (at least in part) about the Wiretap section at the top of the page? Yes, I agree. A lot of it appears to be click-bait from writers who just need to put something, anything out there. Heck, according to that section there are a few teams, each of whom are always interested in almost every player out there, whether those players are even remotely available or not.

Kind of the way Jon Gruden's name gets linked to every coaching rumor, whether that team is interested or not. Man, he must have a heck of a PR team.

Yeah,.. wiretap is one of them. =} I mean,.. I see the same 'rumor' in a half dozen places,.. but when I look at the articles,.. all individually written by some name,... they all refer back to the same original source, who may or may not have actually said what is in the article?.... LOL :o :wink:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,163

Post#88 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 4, 2024 5:39 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Yeah,.. wiretap is one of them. =} I mean,.. I see the same 'rumor' in a half dozen places,.. but when I look at the articles,.. all individually written by some name,... they all refer back to the same original source, who may or may not have actually said what is in the article?.... LOL :o :wink:

Yup. There's a ton of circuitous reporting lately, so hard to tell if there's ever really a ton of smoke, or just one guys smoking something.

As for Philly, they have a TON of cap space, Tobias Harris is guaranteed not to be returning there, and their GM (Daryl Morey) is a noted "big game free agency hunter" every offseason and eternally looking for another star player. I think there's going to be a lot of smoke of any major difference maker (of whom there's really only PG and Lebron left this offseason) to Philly.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#89 » by JMaster5K » Sat May 4, 2024 5:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Yup. There's a ton of circuitous reporting lately, so hard to tell if there's ever really a ton of smoke, or just one guys smoking something.

As for Philly, they have a TON of cap space, Tobias Harris is guaranteed not to be returning there, and their GM (Daryl Morey) is a noted "big game free agency hunter" every offseason and eternally looking for another star player. I think there's going to be a lot of smoke of any major difference maker (of whom there's really only PG and Lebron left this offseason) to Philly.

Agreed. It seems like a number of the writers are just assuming that OG, Pascal, DeMar are off the market? I mean,.. I hope they are! but I'm not willing to take it as done until the contract is signed. Any on those would be a great fit with Embiid.

Yeah,.. I looked today. It is at least theoretically possible that Philly could shed all their contracts except Embiid, which would put them $89,584,062 under the cap. It' much, much more likely that they are around $55M under the cap with holds or contract for around 6 players entering FA (including Melton & Maxey)?

With that much room,... and Morey being Morey,.. I'll take the over on them being 'active',... LOL =]
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 745

Post#90 » by Pacers Forever » Sat May 4, 2024 10:58 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Anyone else think there's going to be quite a bit of movement this offseason?.... Looking at Philly's cap situation, they might be some competition?

Tobias Harris
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Lowry
Buddy Hield
Bruce Brown
D’Angelo Russell
Malik Beasley
Russell Westbrook
are all players who I feel will opt out of their contracts or will not be retained by their current team for monetary purposes.

Others I think could renegotiate contracts and stay with their team are PG, Lebron, Anunoby, Klay, Harden, Hartenstein, DeRozan, and Trent Jr.

Teams I believe most likely to try for bigger changes to their rosters are Hawks, 76ers, Raptors, Hornets, Wizards, Pistons in the East. The other clubs in the East have very good cores or youth and need less additions to strengthen their squads.

In the West I see many more teams with solid cores needing minor upgrades. Only the Jazz, Grizzlies, Spurs, and Trailblazers are as bad record wise as the non playoff East teams.

Lakers will shuffle supporting cast and the Pelicans have indicated that moves will happen. Jazz, Trailblazers, and Spurs are all rebuilding so they could be looking to trading players for better fits to their roster.

So in summary I think most activity will be shuffling of free agent supporting players with many teams needing to find those players who help push them to the top.

A few trades might happen and a few big names could change their clubs. I just don’t feel like huge differences will happen this free agency period.

I hope the Pacers can find upgrades if they change their personnel.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#91 » by Wizop » Sat May 4, 2024 11:02 pm

Bucks need a ball handler
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#92 » by JMaster5K » Sun May 5, 2024 7:54 am

Pacers Forever wrote:

Tobias Harris
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Lowry
Buddy Hield
Bruce Brown
D’Angelo Russell
Malik Beasley
Russell Westbrook
are all players who I feel will opt out of their contracts or will not be retained by their current team for monetary purposes.

Others I think could renegotiate contracts and stay with their team are PG, Lebron, Anunoby, Klay, Harden, Hartenstein, DeRozan, and Trent Jr.

Teams I believe most likely to try for bigger changes to their rosters are Hawks, 76ers, Raptors, Hornets, Wizards, Pistons in the East. The other clubs in the East have very good cores or youth and need less additions to strengthen their squads.

In the West I see many more teams with solid cores needing minor upgrades. Only the Jazz, Grizzlies, Spurs, and Trailblazers are as bad record wise as the non playoff East teams.

Lakers will shuffle supporting cast and the Pelicans have indicated that moves will happen. Jazz, Trailblazers, and Spurs are all rebuilding so they could be looking to trading players for better fits to their roster.

So in summary I think most activity will be shuffling of free agent supporting players with many teams needing to find those players who help push them to the top.

A few trades might happen and a few big names could change their clubs. I just don’t feel like huge differences will happen this free agency period.

I agree with you on the teams you mentioned,... Believe all of them will be looking to improve their talent level. I just get the feeling that Bucks, Cavs, & Magic will also be looking at consolidation & fit during the offseason. Bucks? not sure what they are going to do, probably just running it back, but with a first round exit, could be looking to make some changes around the margins?

Cav's have been saying all year that they don't like the fit with Darius & Donovan in the backcourt,... nor Allen & Mobley in the frontcourt. I'm not sure I really believe that? To me, it looks more like too many people deferring to each other & trying to fit in without a real training camp to learn how to be a team? I have to believe their chemistry will be much better next year. However,... if Donovan refuses to sign an extension with the Cav's this summer,.... can they really expect him to resign as an UFA next summer?... Specially with a team like Brooklyn clearing cap space & creating the holes they now have in their roster?

Magic, I think,.. will look for a veteran upgrade at the point,... which will requires some form of trades, waivers,... roster movement on their part?

Out west,... Phoenix & Golden State have ridiculously high payrolls, with first round exits, and very little flexibility. Ishbia in Phoenix is known in business circles for having no patience,... none. I have to think Phoenix will do something,... but with so little room or leverage, what is a big question?

Warriors,... second highest payroll going into 24-25, with a roster that is aging and declining? IMO, they've reached the point that if they don't start restructuring their roster around their younger players & finding others that can contribute, they will waste Curry's late prime years chasing nostalgia instead of putting a team around him that can play into the post-season?

Pops has already said that SA will be looking for a top level, young veteran point to pair with Wemby & run the team.

Portland has a ton of contracts, that just don't fit their team. Grant, Brogdon, Williams III, Thybulle will all be 27 or older, none of which really should be starting because of the need to develop the younger players,... together they make up just under $76M of their cap space? Yeah,.. they do need some veterans around to help the younger guys learn. They aren't really having any cap issues at the moment, but I would still expect them to look to lower their cap a bit trying to find guys that fit better with the developing team. If they do, this will put a couple of still desirable veterans into the market, creating some of those 'margin' moves for some of the contenders.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#93 » by JMaster5K » Sun May 5, 2024 8:00 am

I have to think Philly's first target in FA is going to be Wings & 4's. (Sorry, stating the obvious.) The best they can get for the cheapest price, who can play at a starters level or better now, which may not be limited to the top 10 FA this summer. If the player is 'name' that much better for Morey.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#94 » by Pacers Forever » Mon May 6, 2024 9:29 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:

Tobias Harris
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Lowry
Buddy Hield
Bruce Brown
D’Angelo Russell
Malik Beasley
Russell Westbrook

I agree with you on the teams you mentioned,... Believe all of them will be looking to improve their talent level. I just get the feeling that Bucks, Cavs, & Magic will also be looking at consolidation & fit during the offseason. Bucks? not sure what they are going to do, probably just running it back, but with a first round exit, could be looking to make some changes around the margins?

Cav's have been saying all year that they don't like the fit with Darius & Donovan in the backcourt,... nor Allen & Mobley in the frontcourt. I'm not sure I really believe that? To me, it looks more like too many people deferring to each other & trying to fit in without a real training camp to learn how to be a team? I have to believe their chemistry will be much better next year. However,... if Donovan refuses to sign an extension with the Cav's this summer,.... can they really expect him to resign as an UFA next summer?... Specially with a team like Brooklyn clearing cap space & creating the holes they now have in their roster?

Magic, I think,.. will look for a veteran upgrade at the point,... which will requires some form of trades, waivers,... roster movement on their part?

Out west,... Phoenix & Golden State have ridiculously high payrolls, with first round exits, and very little flexibility. Ishbia in Phoenix is known in business circles for having no patience,... none. I have to think Phoenix will do something,... but with so little room or leverage, what is a big question?

Warriors,... second highest payroll going into 24-25, with a roster that is aging and declining? IMO, they've reached the point that if they don't start restructuring their roster around their younger players & finding others that can contribute, they will waste Curry's late prime years chasing nostalgia instead of putting a team around him that can play into the post-season?

Pops has already said that SA will be looking for a top level, young veteran point to pair with Wemby & run the team.

Portland has a ton of contracts, that just don't fit their team. Grant, Brogdon, Williams III, Thybulle will all be 27 or older, none of which really should be starting because of the need to develop the younger players,... together they make up just under $76M of their cap space? Yeah,.. they do need some veterans around to help the younger guys learn. They aren't really having any cap issues at the moment, but I would still expect them to look to lower their cap a bit trying to find guys that fit better with the developing team. If they do, this will put a couple of still desirable veterans into the market, creating some of those 'margin' moves for some of the contenders.

JMaster5K I think teams like the Cavs, Magic, Heat, Pacers, Knicks, and Bucks all are in search of additions to strengthen their playoff presence.

The Bulls I really have no clue which move direction they’ll go and the Nets have some pretty good pieces but need more around Bridges.

Out West I agree on Suns and Warriors having spent big bucks for a title shot that didn’t materialize for either club leaving them both in tough situations. Unfortunately those types of teams usually find a rebuilding team to help them dump salary and get better.

As always it will be interesting to see if any team can make a big signing or trade to drastically improve their roster. Hopefully it’s KP.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#95 » by Pacers Forever » Mon May 6, 2024 10:47 pm

Interesting Pat Riley comments today on Jimmy Butler 35 years old superstar missing time.

I could see the Heat trading him. They’ll be looking for huge value to team with Bam, Rozier, Martin, Herro, Jovic, and Jaquez Jr.

Could be a good time to do a quick re-work with them having some youth.

I wouldn’t want Butler due to his lack of availability.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#96 » by JMaster5K » Thu May 9, 2024 3:35 pm

HoopsHype just did an update on their 2024 aggregate mock draft.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-aggregate-mock-draft-donovan-clingan-and-zach-edey-rising-before-combine/

The more I read,.. the more I'm kinda glad we aren't really in this draft? We can always trade back in to the first, if a certain player we think we can develop drops? The players at the top of this draft do look like good players, but the ones with legit upside are so raw that you just can't bank (at this point) on them ever getting there. The ones that show a strong case for actually contributing, don't seem to have the potential upside?...

There will be some good role players. No strong cases for anything else. (though, yes,.. 1 or 2 will develop a couple of years down the road,.. they always do. LOL)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,163

Post#97 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 9, 2024 4:38 pm

JMaster5K wrote:HoopsHype just did an update on their 2024 aggregate mock draft.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-aggregate-mock-draft-donovan-clingan-and-zach-edey-rising-before-combine/

The more I read,.. the more I'm kinda glad we aren't really in this draft? We can always trade back in to the first, if a certain player we think we can develop drops? The players at the top of this draft do look like good players, but the ones with legit upside are so raw that you just can't bank (at this point) on them ever getting there. The ones that show a strong case for actually contributing, don't seem to have the potential upside?...

There will be some good role players. No strong cases for anything else. (though, yes,.. 1 or 2 will develop a couple of years down the road,.. they always do. LOL)

I bet we see Bobi Klintman, DaRon Holmes, or Ryan Dunn associated with Indy a ton. And I imagine we would’ve considered them all around 19 anyway.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#98 » by Wizop » Thu May 9, 2024 4:44 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I bet we see Bobi Klintman, DaRon Holmes, or Ryan Dunn associated with Indy a ton. And I imagine we would’ve considered them all around 19 anyway.

We were supposedly interested in Klintman before he withdrew last year. Dunn's defense would fit if his offense didn't keep in on the Ants - see K Brown.

I'm concentrating on college seniors given our success with Nembhard and Sheppard.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#99 » by JMaster5K » Thu May 9, 2024 5:03 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I bet we see Bobi Klintman, DaRon Holmes, or Ryan Dunn associated with Indy a ton. And I imagine we would’ve considered them all around 19 anyway.

We were supposedly interested in Klintman before he withdrew last year. Dunn's defense would fit if his offense didn't keep in on the Ants - see K Brown.

I'm concentrating on college seniors given our success with Nembhard and Sheppard.

I Like Holmes. If he answers a few of the questions about his perimeter mobility,... He's got good sorta cross between Ob1 & DD vibes. I Like Dunn,.. but his offensive usefulness now seems very limited. He'd be good sitting a couple of years behind a guy Like Pascal,.. If he could pick up any of Spicy's craft,... he'd be a good role player. Not so high on Klintman,.. don't know why?... just seems a bit soft to me,.. but he is very young. He just might not be able to play with any level of physicality at this point?...

Also Like Ulrich Comche (yeah,... said it before,.. LOL), He's the youngest guy in the draft. Has a LOT of work to do,... but at 18 (on draft night), he's already 6'11", 235 #, with a 7'4 wingspan, a good shooting stroke that has been connecting on international 3's, and near elite athleticism. He's like Antonio Davis was,... he's going to need at least 3 years before he's ready for any role in the NBA,.. but with 3 years of good coaching? where we own his rights?....

From Tankathon:

Ulrich Chomche PF/C | NBA Academy Africa 6'11" 234 lbs International 18.4 yrs 15.6 PTS 10.8 REB 4.0 AST 3.2 BLK 1.6 STL
Min FG 3's FT's
30.0 4.7-11.0 .424 2.7-7.0 .381 1.0-1.3 .750
Wizop
RealGM

Post#100 » by Wizop » Thu May 9, 2024 5:09 pm

JMaster5K wrote:Also Like Ulrich Comche

I've been reading about him too. when he declared someone suggested that meant he had a promise from some team.

Return to Indiana Pacers