Trade Proposal/Checker (& Waiver Wire) Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Jake0890, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan

chatard5
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#21 » by chatard5 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 1:11 am

Expiring contracts are valuable, and now contracts a year from expiring are valuable? Yet if you add one more year to that deal and the player is under-producing it is an awful deal. I dont think a player with 2 years on a large contract who doesn't produce much should have value for expiring next year.
greenway84
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#22 » by greenway84 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:44 pm

anyway instead of quins we could get them tinsley
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 480

Post#23 » by granger05 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:38 pm

The Magic might make sense as a destination for either Marquis or Foster as well. They have several expiring contracts in Arroyo, Garrity, Dooling and Evans. Packaging Evans with either of the first three would put them in range of Foster or Daniel's salaries. If they did that plus their likely mid-20s draft pick I think that's in the ballpark of what we're looking for. I'm not a fan of Reddick myself, but putting his salary with any of those first three contracts also works.

I don't follow the Magic enough to know if any of those guys I'm calling "contracts" is actually contributing for them. I do think that both Foster or Daniels would make sense for them. Their only bigs are Howard, Battie, and Foyle. They have the kind of team that I think maximizes Foster's strengths. Daniels may also be interesting for them since I don't see anyone on their roster that gets to the basket. I think he could fill a 6th man role for them.
joew8302
Senior

Post#24 » by joew8302 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 11:21 pm

In regards to the Magic I can't see why they would want Foster or Maquis that badly. The Magic are pretty even with there opponents in overall rebounding, so it isn't like that is something they really need to patch up. Also, Dwight Howard and Foster couldn't play together at the same time IMO. That would clog things up too much.

As far as Marquis I am not sure why they would want him either. I doubt too many people think he would an upgrade of Keyon Dooling or Maurice Evans. With Dwight Howard being the space eater he is, I would think if Orlando was looking for another two one they would want one that is a better outside shooter than Marquis.

Maybe I am completely missing the boat on this, but I don't see how Foster or Marquis would be anything more than play a very limited role on there team. I don't see a trade with the Magic involving Marquis or Jeff.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,168

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 7, 2008 2:10 am

My viewpoint in that Foster would fit in Orlando is that playing Rashard Lewis at the PF is going to wear him down quickly, and Dwight Howard should get some rest as well.

That leaves Battie (who's out for the year), Adonal Foyle (who is very situational at best), and Brian Cook (who's not reliable and doesn't at all play inside). Foster could play both the PF and C spots, and could float around the court fluidly enough on offense to allow Dwight Howard enough space to operate.

I do think, however, that you're pretty right on Marquis, at least in Orlando. I don't think he fulfills a huge need in Orlando right now.
joew8302
Senior

Post#26 » by joew8302 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:16 am

Scoot

Do you see Foster and Howard complimenting each other and playing on the court together well?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:17 pm

I think Foster could find his niche next to any big man in the league. He's already shown that he can fit well next to any big man the Pacers have had for the past 7 season or so.

I think, defensively, they'd be fine, and offensively, it might take a little getting used to, but Foster does pretty well at floating high on the opposite side of the rim and crashing for rebounds once the shot goes up. He doesn't have o be immobile under the basket to get rebounds like a Diogu.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#28 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:51 pm

Hmm, Orlando looks like an interesting potential trading partner to me. They've got a bunch of expiring contracts. And they don't figure to be hoarding cap space, since they should be over the salary cap given the contracts of Lewis and Howard. And it seems to me that they could use Foster...I'm sure Howard would love to see a teammate who can take some of the low-post defense responsibilities off his shoulders. So Orlando perhaps has the desire to add Foster and the means to do it.

What would a Foster-to-Orlando trade look like?

Of course they have to give us a draft pick.

Then we could take back, say, Garrity and Foyle. Garrity is expiring, Foyle has a team option next summer (which the Pacers would surely decline).

Wa-laa, Pacers go from a payroll in the low 70s (millions) next season to one in the mid 60s, which is quite likely to be the difference between being over the luxury tax threshold or under it. We might even be far enough under the threshold to be able to re-sign Rush (or some other free agent). So essentially we would be trading Foster for Rush/free agent, a draft pick (late first round?), and cash (no luxury tax penalty).

If you don't like Garrity/Foyle...maybe Orlando would instead give us a spare point guard (Dooling or Arroyo, probably Dooling) if Jameer Nelson gets healthy. Both Arroyo and Dooling are also in the last years of their contracts so far as I can see. Good chance the Pacers would want to re-sign Dooling/Arroyo next summer as we are in piss-poor shape at pg...although we might have to choose between that and Rush.
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#29 » by ahartleyvu » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:55 pm

Miami goes all the way.

Miami trades: Blount, Williams, Parker, Cook
Miami receives: JO, Harrison, Owens, Graham

C JO
PF Haslem
SF Marion
SG Wade
PG Banks
6th: Davis

Not to mention a lottery pick. If they can get Rose - WOW.

C Foster / Blount / Murphy
PF Murphy / Diogu / Williams
SF Granger / Williams
SG Dunleavy / Rush / Cook
PG Tinsley / Williams

Initially had Haslem/Blount/Williams, but I doubt the Heat would go for that. We probably buyout Smush.

This would mainly be a salary dump for us. I like the Haslem trade better, just didn't think they would go for it.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#30 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Feb 7, 2008 4:06 pm

Arrrgh, these trade threads drive me nuts!!! The minute you respond to one idea, someone else responds to an earlier idea and the whole thread goes all catty-wumpus. That's why I seldom try to participate in these things.

Ahartley, we better get more than Daequan Cook and expirings for Jermaine O'Neal (and Blount isn't even expiring, we'd be stuck with him for two more seasons--Murphy and Blount, the All-Albatross frontcourt!). If that's all we're going to get for JO, let's just try to get him healthy again first. If it doesn't work, he's gone in two more years anyway. It's worth gambling two years to see if you can rehabilitate a multi-time All Star.

Anyway, I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on Foster to Orlando.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 7, 2008 5:43 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:
Anyway, I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on Foster to Orlando.

I'm generally in support of a trade of Foster for expirings and a mid to late 1st round pick (or equivalent prospect).

We're not going to be good enough to utilize Foster's skill set properly, and he can get us some cap relief and a cheap young prospect. Seems like something we should be looking at. Plus, anybody that has interest in Foster is likely to be competing for the playoffs or championship, so it's a positive for Foster too as I'd like to see him get some more chances to truly succeed in this league.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#32 » by greenway84 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:06 pm

The only thing I have against trading Foster is in addition to losing him. Harrison gone at the end of the season and the possibility of trading JO. Who plays C or for that matter PF. Even if we dont trade JO. That leaves Murphy and JO to man all the minutes.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,647

Post#33 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:13 pm

greenway84 wrote:The only thing I have against trading Foster is in addition to losing him. Harrison gone at the end of the season and the possibility of trading JO. Who plays C or for that matter PF. Even if we dont trade JO. That leaves Murphy and JO to man all the minutes.

Well, if your playing the Summer card you can just as easily say we'll draft or sign another big man.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by greenway84 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:13 pm

Francisco Elson
Michael Finley
Brent Barry
1st

For

David Harrison
Jeff Foster
Jamaal Tinsley
2nd
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,647

Post#35 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:15 pm

I doubt Spurs trade Finley away.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by greenway84 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:17 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, if your playing the Summer card you can just as easily say we'll draft or sign another big man.

Thats true. Personally I have already started looking ahead I guess. I think we need to rid ourselves of tinsley, and find a way to get higher up in the draft (not by tanking) to get a future PG. I would really like to see us get a second 1st as well.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by greenway84 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:18 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:I doubt Spurs trade Finley away.

either that or resign him in the offseason.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#38 » by greenway84 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:21 pm

greenway84 wrote:Francisco Elson
Michael Finley
Brent Barry
1st

For

David Harrison
Jeff Foster
Jamaal Tinsley
2nd

Next year alone this would save us 14,926,059 and an extra 14,700,000 extra over the next 2 years.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:31 pm

greenway84 wrote:Francisco Elson
Michael Finley
Brent Barry
1st

For

David Harrison
Jeff Foster
Jamaal Tinsley
2nd

There's really no way that San Antonio would take on Tinsley, especially since they picked up Damon Stoudamire.

For them, take out Finley and Tinsley, and they'd do it. But we wouldn't.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#40 » by greenway84 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 6:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There's really no way that San Antonio would take on Tinsley, especially since they picked up Damon Stoudamire.

For them, take out Finley and Tinsley, and they'd do it. But we wouldn't.

I was worried about that. Who would take on Tinsley. Miami? Maybe
Indiana gets Francisco Elson, Brent Barry, Jason Williams, SA 1st
SA gets Jeff Foster, Alonzo Mourning
Miami Gets Jamaal Tinsley, Marquis Daniels, IND 2nd

Return to Indiana Pacers