ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: New York Giants 2014 Season

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

OT: New York Giants 2014 Season 

Post#1 » by Zooropa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Figured its time to start this thread, because in the short time I've been here you guys seem much more intelligent than the vast majority of the official Giants board.

Expectations? Predictions? The Giants are far less predictable than the Knicks... We could be going 6-10 or winning the Superbowl. Winning a game before late October would be nice, though.

Either way, I'm excited. The new offense injects some mystique and hope for the future. There was literally no hope at any point last season... I feel as if it almost didn't happen. I miss the strong starts (and even the late-season collapses... at least they were gripping until the very end). Here's hoping for a great year.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Re: OT: New York Giants 2014 Season 

Post#2 » by AmazingJason » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:06 pm

I think they're one of the worst teams in football, but they also play in the worst division, so perhaps they'll win 5-6 games.
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,492

Post#3 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:45 pm

AmazingJason wrote:I think they're one of the worst teams in football, but they also play in the worst division, so perhaps they'll win 5-6 games.

I think they might win 8 or 9 and make the playoffs. I like coach Coughlin. Former BC head coach who likes to draft BC players. Watch out for Andre Williams this year. :nod:
Free Palestine
Zooropa
Veteran

Post#4 » by Zooropa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:50 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:I think they're one of the worst teams in football, but they also play in the worst division, so perhaps they'll win 5-6 games.

I think they might win 8 or 9 and make the playoffs. I like coach Coughlin. Former BC head coach who likes to draft BC players. Watch out for Andre Williams this year. :nod:

Word. I think 9-7 wins the NFC East, and looking at the schedule I think its very doable. Hell, even with the horrendous start we got to 7-9 last year.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 51,163

Post#5 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Biggest factor is if JPP can return to a superstar level. He has the ability to take over on defense. He has looked good so far.

If he can return to form, the Giants can make the playoffs and/or win the division. The division is really up for grabs.

The west coast system on offense is something to watch too.

I could see one more run for Coughlan. But yeah, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Giants win 5 games, or 11 games. This team is pretty unpredictable
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 56,492

Post#6 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Zooropa wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Word. I think 9-7 wins the NFC East, and looking at the schedule I think its very doable. Hell, even with the horrendous start we got to 7-9 last year.

And I don't think the Iggles are going to do what they did last season. No one is going to get caught by surprise by any Chip Kelly stuff this year.
Free Palestine
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Post#7 » by SuperflyKnick » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:15 am

They won 7 last yr after losing like their first 6 , changed Their predictable offense coordinater , revamped the secondary that is in the tops in the league, upgraded the running back position, and added younger pieces while eliminating distractions like Hakeem nicks.... So idk how u are calling them one of the worst teams in football
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#8 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:33 pm

The Giants are missing a consistent running game. Once teams stopped being scared of the G-men's ground game, they loaded up the line and got into Eli's kitchen, forcing some erratic throws.

IF....IF they can get a decent running game going, 9-7.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,647

Post#9 » by j4remi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Guys, I wanna help the football forums and their mods out by moving football related threads to the rightful places. What I'd like to do to try and support a bit of traffic there is let these OT threads run on the Knicks forum for about a day and then move them. Not sure how the other mods feel about it but they can PM me if they don't agree with the tactic and knicks forum posters can hit me up too.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#10 » by AmazingJason » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:46 pm

SuperflyKnick wrote:

They won 7 last yr after losing like their first 6 , changed Their predictable offense coordinater , revamped the secondary that is in the tops in the league, upgraded the running back position, and added younger pieces while eliminating distractions like Hakeem nicks.... So idk how u are calling them one of the worst teams in football

Special Teams: Worst in the NFL

Defense: Improved secondary, but pointless since front 7 is garbage. DRC will give up on the team when they struggle.

Offensive Line: Same as last year, which was terrible
Quarterback: Paid to be elite, but just a above-average QB who's great in the clutch and with right cast. Will be running for his life again
Receiving Corps: Talent here, but still missing true #1 since Nicks.
Running Backs: Downgrade with loss of Brown

Last year, they got really lucky in the 2nd half of the season, playing crap teams and others suiting up their backup QBs. Look at the schedule, the only teams they have an advantage against are Dallas, Jaguars and Titans.

El Poochio - POBO

AmazingJason
RealGM

Post#11 » by AmazingJason » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:49 pm

j4remi wrote:Guys, I wanna help the football forums and their mods out by moving football related threads to the rightful places. What I'd like to do to try and support a bit of traffic there is let these OT threads run on the Knicks forum for about a day and then move them. Not sure how the other mods feel about it but they can PM me if they don't agree with the tactic and knicks forum posters can hit me up too.

My preference is that these particular threads - NY teams by NY fans - should stay here. Fact is that if they're moved there, they'll likely die a quick death. The general one about NFL offense can be shifted though :lol:

El Poochio - POBO

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,647

Post#12 » by j4remi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:59 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
j4remi wrote:Guys, I wanna help the football forums and their mods out by moving football related threads to the rightful places. What I'd like to do to try and support a bit of traffic there is let these OT threads run on the Knicks forum for about a day and then move them. Not sure how the other mods feel about it but they can PM me if they don't agree with the tactic and knicks forum posters can hit me up too.

My preference is that these particular threads - NY teams by NY fans - should stay here. Fact is that if they're moved there, they'll likely die a quick death. The general one about NFL offense can be shifted though :lol:

Trust me, I feel your pain, but this is me trying a bit of a compromise. You guys can get the discussion going here and have a day of chat and then hopefully a few or more are invested enough to slide through the Giants (or Jets) forum to check out the place and keep talking. It would be great to see the other sports forums start thriving and hopefully this turns those spots into a place worth visiting a bit more often.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#13 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Giants are one of the more interesting teams this season. They made a sh**load of changes. It can either work beautifully or implode on them. Jets fan but I'll be watching quite a few of the Giants games too.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#14 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:54 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:

Defense: Improved secondary, but pointless since front 7 is garbage. DRC will give up on the team when they struggle.

Quarterback: Paid to be elite, but just a above-average QB who's great in the clutch and with right cast. Will be running for his life again

Last year, they got really lucky in the 2nd half of the season, playing crap teams and others suiting up their backup QBs. Look at the schedule, the only teams they have an advantage against are Dallas, Jaguars and Titans.

Andre Brown was cut by Texans. maybe Giants bring him back? The Giants are pretty optimistic about that BC rb they picked up in the draft.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#15 » by Tron Carter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:16 pm

i'm liking the way corey washington is coming along in camp, could be another undrafted hidden jem like cruz. we all know how much eli loves his big, tall receivers.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,530

Post#16 » by Tron Carter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:18 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:

Andre Brown was cut by Texans. maybe Giants bring him back? The Giants are pretty optimistic about that BC rb they picked up in the draft.

saying we downgraded our backs by losing andre brown when we added rashad jennings is laughable.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Nightstick56NYK
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#17 » by Nightstick56NYK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
AmazingJason wrote:

saying we downgraded our backs by losing andre brown when we added rashad jennings is laughable.

You're clearly someone who has some type of dislike for the Giants for whatever reason or loyalty to a giant rival. Which is totally fine but it seems silly that you're trying to act objective towards the Giants with that in mind.

The RBs got worse? You understand the Giants were playing free agents at RB by midseason last year and a coming off injury Andre Brown. The same Andre Brown who just got cut over guys named Johnathan Grimes and Alfred Blue. But yeah replacing him with Jennings and Williams is a downgrade.

Returning the same line as last year? By same do you mean the entire interior of the line is different? If 60% of the line being changed to you means the same I guess I stand corrected.

Worst special teams in the NFL? Good kicker and good punter. Decent in coverage, bad in punt and kick returns. They added Demps, Holliday and Beckham. All more than capable return men. They're not the worst special teams in the NFL. That's incorrect.

Only team they have an advantage over were those 3? What exactly did Washington do to improve and leapfrog us since we were awful most of the year last year and swept them anyway. Not to mention Houston and Atlanta. The Texans starting Fitzpatrick became better than us? The falcons who's defense actually got worse also is better?

That's just to name a few things. It's cool to dislike a team I take no issue with that but why bother trying to act like you're trying to be reasonable with arguments like losing Andre brown means they won't b able to run ball this year when their running game sucked with him anyway? Lol just leave a simple 'Giants suck' comment and move along.
Zooropa
Veteran

Post#18 » by Zooropa » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:47 am

Tron Carter wrote:i'm liking the way corey washington is coming along in camp, could be another undrafted hidden jem like cruz. we all know how much eli loves his big, tall receivers.

I feel the same way... I''m really excited about Washington
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 844

Post#19 » by KOA » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:32 am

The new offense looks terrible thus far. I haven't seen any material changes to the playcalling. I would have imagined more slants, screens and higher percentage short passes. But it seems like its more of the same from last year.

Eli Manning looks like the exact same Manning from last year. The only positive might be the defense...
On another note, football is going to suck this year if they keep calling ticky tacky defensive fouls.
Obi-One
Analyst
And1: 1,969

Post#20 » by Obi-One » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:34 am

Eli just looks terrible. I'm starting to think he may be done. Was awful last year and his preseason isn't showing signs of any improvement. I understand the OL needs some blame but damn, this dude looks as lost as he was in his rookie year.

Return to New York Giants