Official NY Giants Draft thread

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#61 » by richardhutnik » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:22 am

BklynKING wrote:(picture)

Can't wait for that '08 to come out....

I REFUSE to defile my 360 with yet another Madden football product. I look for 2K Sports return to football. Madden last year on the 360 KILLED any desire I have for ANY EA football game. They really ran Madden into the ground last year.

- The Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#62 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:32 am

Aaron Ross

"He had a lot of value," said Reese, who indicated the Giants tried to move up a couple of times to grab either Darrelle Revis or Leon Hall, but wouldn
scottyo50
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#63 » by scottyo50 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:03 pm

im overall happy with the first day, tomorow better be as productive
ElMatatan
General Manager
And1: 487

Post#64 » by ElMatatan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:28 pm

wow...nice read NYKSTill

can't wait for day 2...I hope we get a good Tackle.
NY State of Mind
BklynKING
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#65 » by BklynKING » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:51 pm

richardhutnik wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I REFUSE to defile my 360 with yet another Madden football product. I look for 2K Sports return to football. Madden last year on the 360 KILLED any desire I have for ANY EA football game. They really ran Madden into the ground last year.

- The Rich

Yea....they said they focused on the gameplay this year.....and hopefully they did....because I agree last year's was a dud.

They have all the pictures of the first round rookies in their uniforms
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,520

Post#66 » by blueNorange » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Meh, can't believe Reese didn't draft Doug Free who's an OT. Not a knock on Zak who's father played with the G-Men. He's an intersting choice

LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Squirrel Boy
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#67 » by Squirrel Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:04 pm

We finally got a good CB. Good draft so far.
Next-town-clown
Banned User

Post#68 » by Next-town-clown » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:54 pm

I would assume the way this drafting has been going that one of our 4 DE's is going to be moved for a Tackle(most likely) or a linebacker.

I wouldn't mind seeing Strahan moved, but I could also deal with him staying in order to tudor the young guys and moving Tuck, who presumably has some trade value.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#69 » by blueNorange » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:54 pm

Giants drafted TE Kevin Boss to be Shockey's backup. Solid pick, now all we need is maybe a OT and a K.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
AGGiE
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#70 » by AGGiE » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:41 pm

blueNorange wrote:Giants drafted TE Kevin Boss to be Shockey's backup. Solid pick, now all we need is maybe a OT and a K.

Mason Crosby :pray:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#71 » by blueNorange » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:16 pm

Giants draft OT Adam Koets :clap:

Three-year starter at left tackle awarded All-Conference honors as a senior.

Positives:

Smart, durable blocker with adequate size and growth potential. Plays with outstanding pad level, quickly gets his hands up and effectively places them into defenders. Stays square and seals defenders from the action. Keeps his head on a swivel, plays smart football and works well with teammates. Uses all his assets to their maximum.

Negatives:

Must improve the strength of his base. Rarely gets movement at the point of attack and falls off blocks.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#72 » by blueNorange » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:58 pm

Giants drafted S Michael Johnson with their final pick
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#73 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:52 pm

blueNorange wrote:Giants drafted S Michael Johnson with their final pick

We have 1 more pick. Number 250.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:53 pm

Ahmad Bradshaw RB Marshall.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#75 » by blueNorange » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:19 pm

Full Article

LOL Y U MAD THO?
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 842

Post#76 » by KOA » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:20 pm

Al n' Perk No Layups! wrote:Ahmad Bradshaw RB Marshall.

He is supposed to be a speed back at 5'9" 198 lbs.
However, he only ran a 4.55 which is not all that fast.

The good news is he put up tremendous stats:

"after starting all 12 games in 2006, and recording 249 carries for 1,523 yards (6.1 average) and 19 touchdowns and contributing 17 pass catches for 129 yards (7.6 average) and two touchdowns."

So maybe he has the athleticism and skill to make it in this league as a third down back (if not more).
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:08 am

Giants draft review:

1st round #20 Aaron Ross CB Texas

Not really thrilled with this pick. I would have rather we picked a cover corner like Houston. Reminds me a lot of Webster; press corner, not great speed, ball hawk (Webster had 16 picks in college), big and strong, very good leaping ability and played at a winning program. The Webster-Ross duo kind of reminds me of the Madison-Surtain duo at Miami several years back. The problem I have with this pick is I don't think Ross is fast enough to stay with guys like Steve Smith which I think has been our biggest problem over the past few years. I think he'll turn into a great player but I have a feeling the speed guys like Moss and Smith will destroy us. This might work out with the new style of Defense we are going to play but with the new rules you can't really do what Madison and Patrick Surtain did with the Dolphins. Hopefully we can get a cover corner in FA or maybe Underwood or Dockery can fill that role to play against the speed guys if Ross is struggling against them. I love the guy as a player but I don't think it was the right pick for us.

Edit- Here's a highlight video of Aaron Ross:
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... src=sports
Showing off his ball skills. Excellent vid.

2nd round #51 Steve Smith WR USC

Love this pick. Maybe my favorite pick of the draft (between this and the DeOssie pick). Perfect fit. Fast receiver, great hands, great route runner and great work ethic. Outstanding productivity at USC and always came up big in clutch situations. Fills a need with Toomer coming off an injury and Burress being a turd (I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him). With Sidney Rice being taken off the board I was praying he would fall to us here. He was the last top quality WR left. Highest rated player on my board at the time. He'll make an instant impact. Can be a future #1 receiver.

Edit- Here's a highlight video of Steve Smith:
Shows off his speed, hands and route running ability. Outstanding vid. Smith is gonna be a star.

3rd round #81 Jay Alford DT Penn State

Didn't like this pick that much. Would have rather picked him later. Good player. Good all around DT. Quick, good pass rusher. Was highly rated early in the year. I player I didn't mind picking but wished we didn't take him so high. Would have rather had Doug Free, Zak DeOssie (we got him later anyways) or John Wendling here.

Edit- Here's a Jay Alford highlight video:
Wow that was pretty damn good. He'll be great in pass rush situations. A few years down the line he'll take over for Robbins.

4th round #116 Zak DeOssie LB Brown

Love this pick. Maybe my favorite pick of the draft (other option being the Steve Smith pick). Smart, athletic, productive and versatile. I think he'll be starting in a few years. I was praying we would select him here. Was the highest rated player on my board at this time.

Finally found a Zak DeOssie highlights vid:
http://www.giants.com/player/?file_300= ... t%3D%2Easx

5th round #153 Kevin Boss TE Western Oregon

At first I was furious with this pick. I didn't know anything about him and I was dying for us to pick John Wendling here. After seeing his highlight reel and learning a little about him I don't hate the pick so much and I definately like him as a player. I think he'll develope into an excellent Tight End. I still would've much rather had John Wendling with this pick.

6th round #189 Adam Koets OT Oregon State

I like this player. Project tackle with a lot of potential and it seems there is a good chance that he will develope into a great tackle. He won't play right away. I was hoping for Mason Crosby with this pick.

Edit- Here's a highlight video of Adam Koets:

7th round #224 Michael Johnson SS Arizona

Love this pick. He was the guy I wanted at this spot. I watched him a bit at Arizona. The highest rated safety (and player) still on my board. Great athletic ability and productivity. Has great speed, ball skills and closing speed. Excellent hitter and tackler. Should have been a 3rd or 4th. I think he will eventually be a starter. Will transition to Free Safety.

Edit- Here's a Michael Johnson highlight film:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... er&p=86425
I love this guy!

7th round #250 Ahmad Bradshaw RB Marshall

Ok pick. Fills a need. Small back with decent speed. Great productivity at Marshall. "Slippery" back, very shifty. Good balance. Jack of all trades. The best RB they've ever produced. Other possiblities at this pick include Kenny Scott, Mkristo Bruce, Enoka Lucas, Kyle Young, David Ball, Syvelle Newton and Andre Caldwell.

Edit- Here's a highlight video of Ahmad Bradshaw:
Wow. This vid is awesome. He looks great!

Side Note- I think all of our draft picks will make our roster. They all fill needs.

Edit- Added new highlight vids.
Next-town-clown
Banned User

Post#78 » by Next-town-clown » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:37 am

I was really disapponted that we didn't make some sort of move to draft an OT to protect Eli. Chris Snee worked out real well at G, and I thought we could make a similar move in this draft. I have very little confidence in this guy Reese right now. The only decent move he tried to make this offseason(outside the draft) fell through.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:45 am

Next-town-clown wrote:I was really disapponted that we didn't make some sort of move to draft an OT to protect Eli. Chris Snee worked out real well at G, and I thought we could make a similar move in this draft. I have very little confidence in this guy Reese right now. The only decent move he tried to make this offseason(outside the draft) fell through.

There weren't a lot of OTs in this draft. Thomas and Brown went in the top 5 which left Staley and Ugoh as the only quality ones left. We could have went with Staley at 20 which would have been fine with me but we went corner which I was the greater need. Ugoh was off the board in the second before we picked and picking him at 20 would have been an extreme reach. So there weren't a lot of opportunities to pick a tackle in the draft. I think Whimper or Diehl (whoever gets the spot) will do fine. I love Reese as a GM. Especially when it comes to the draft. He is lightyears better than EA.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:33 am

UDFAs we should go after:

Mkristo Bruce DE Washington State- Since we're moving Kiwi to LB we'll need some more depth at the Defensive End position. Bruce was great this year with 11 sacks and 16 TFLs. Very big 6'6" 268. I would love to pick him up.

Kenny Scott CB Georgia Tech- Tall and fast. A very good cover corner. Good tackler and hitter. Very good burst. Can stay with his man. Would be a great pickup.

John Talley CB Duke- Good player on a bad team. Has good cover skills. Very productive. Takes risks (good and bad).

Geoffery Pope CB Howard- Workout warrior. Great speed and good size. Has pretty good cover skills.

Enoka Lucas Center Oregon- Strong and Athletic. Very good blocking skills. Quick mover.

Kyle Young Center Fresno State- At one point the top rated center in the draft. Big and strong. Pretty good blocker.

David Ball WR University of New Hampshire- Has all the skills you need in an elite receiver except for speed. All time touchdown leader in college football history. Great hands, body control, hand eye coordination and route running ability. Very good leaper. Will become a great possesion receiver.

Syvelle Newton WR South Carolina- Was a QB there. Has great size and great speed. Pretty good route runner. Good body control. Can play multiple positions (WR, QB, even played some DB).

Ameer Ismail LB Western Michigan- Led the NCAA in sacks and TFLs this year (17 sacks, 25.5 TFLs). Quick, fast and vicious. Great work ethic. I'm stunned he wasn't drafted. If we could grab him it would be a steal.

Other guys that would be good pickups:

Nate Harris LB Louisville
Rory Johnson LB Ole Miss
Joe Anoai DT Georgia Tech
Leonard Peters S Hawaii
Jarrett Hicks WR Texas Tech
Jemalle Cornelius WR Florida
Jayson Swain WR Tennessee
DeAndre Jackson CB Iowa State
Tala Esera G Hawaii
Reggie Lewis CB Florida
Michael Okwo LB Stanford

Edit- Signing has begun. So far we've picked up Craig Dahl a safety from North Dakota.

Return to New York Giants