ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL JETS NFL DRAFT THREAD

Moderator: Rich Rane

With the 9th Pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the NY Jets Select...

Dion Jordan
No votes
Star Lotulelei
No votes
Chance Warmack
No votes
Barkevious Mingo
20%
Jarvis Jones
No votes
Ezekiel Ansah
20%
Tavon Austin
No votes
Xavier Rhodes
No votes
Matt Barkley
No votes
Someone Else
60%

Total votes: 5

JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,768

Re: OFFICIAL JETS NFL DRAFT THREAD 

Post#41 » by JBreezeNY » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm

j4remi wrote:Watching draft coverage and they're saying the Jets are looking to move up to make sure they get Geno Smith who they were debating picking at 13.

I might throw up in my mouth if we do that...
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,657

Post#42 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 pm

They stood tight..got Geno...I think it'll be alright if they keep him on the bench to learn for a season and not get pulverized behind that awful O-Line we'll be fielding.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#43 » by Shark » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:08 am

j4remi wrote:They stood tight..got Geno...I think it'll be alright if they keep him on the bench to learn for a season and not get pulverized behind that awful O-Line we'll be fielding.

Glad they didn't trade up. No team before them really needed a QB (well maybe the Jags and Eagles).
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,078

Post#44 » by Pharmcat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:36 am

AWFUL move to get a qb in the 2nd round, soo many QBs left in the 3rd round
NYKMentality85
Analyst
And1: 1,204

Post#45 » by NYKMentality85 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:18 am

moocow007 wrote: Dee Miliner - by far the best CB and a potential game changer...enough teams needing stud CB for him to drop to 9.

Geno Smith - he might fall to 8, but no way he gets past Buffalo at 8...no way.

First and foremost good call on the Revis trade to Tampa before it happened 007. I was disheartened about losing our most dominating player of all-time (franchise wise) but it's simply insane to pay a CB of all positions, who's coming off a serious ACL injury; $16,000,000 per season. Mind boggling. We would've lost Revis for absolutely nothing come the offseason but instead we landed a 1st rounder in which we drafted a freak in Sheldon Richardson along with a 3rd rounder come next season. Not to mention all the cap-space we've freed up. Huge.

I understand you thought both Dee Milliner and Geno Smith would be gone by pick number nine during your original pick, but still, major props for even mentioning those two (current) Jets as quickly as you did. And without question you hit the nail on the head; we drafted the greatest college CB of this years draft class.

We may have lost Revis but we do feature our very own pro-bowl talent in Antonio Cromarite (who's not coming off a major ACL injury). With or without Revis we're one of only a few teams in which currently feature three first round CB's in Cromarite, Milliner and Wilson. Could be much worse to say the least. So stoked to see our trio of CB's take the field under a Rex Ryan led defense.

And with our draft selection of Sheldon Richardson, we've completely re-vamped our entire defensive line over the previous three drafts. Wilkerson as a 2nd year player along with Coples as a rookie both had outstanding seasons last year. Both first round talents as well. K.Ellis is nice for added depth within the trenches but Richardson is the reason why we've re-vamped. Another first round selection. Coples, Richardson and/or Wilkerson may not be elite pass rushers from the outside, but these kids will apply a boat load of interior pressure amongst opposing QB's for many of years to come. Wilk put up 5.0 sacks as a second year player while Coples put up 5.5 sacks during only his rookie season. Love our defensive line.

So many first round defensive players, we're young, and the immediate potential/future is strong as ever in regards to our defense under Rex.

And in regards to Geno Smith? Damn man. Wow. A freaking steal of a second round draft pick. He shouldn't have been there. Sanchez only had 1 year of starting college experience and was as raw as they came. No longer the case with Geno Smith. This kid is an NFL ready QB after 4 seasons of experience along with 3 years of full time starting. During the Revis thread on our Knicks forums I made it known I wanted one of only two offensive talents. 1A.) Geno Smith and 1B.) Tavon Austin. So excited we got my guy but instead of at number 9... At 7th of the second round. Remarkable. And yes Tavon is a special talent but Geno's the quarterback in which put him in position to make plays.

Senior Seasons:
Geno S: 42 TD's/6 INT's, 71.2%, QB Rating of 163.9.
Manuel: 23 TD's/10 INT's, 68.0%, QB Rating of 156.0.

We without question drafted the greatest college QB of the Nation and not even Sanchez numbers of his 1 year of starting with USC can compare to Geno's. E.J Manuel looks to rush the football way too often, but Geno's a pure pocket passing quarterback with ability to take off but only when creating nothing into something. Such a gifted quarterback talent.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#46 » by j4remi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:05 pm

I think the key with Geno will be how the Jets handle him. He's a flawed QB, Kiper kept talking about his long stride and his inconsistency was clear...but we can afford to sit him for a year and build him. With Sanchez the biggest mistake was throwing him to the wolves. He had no time to correct bad habits or make changes, he was who he was and that would only get reinforced every game he went out there. Build the kid up, let a year go by where you see where this team is at...and use next year's draft/FA to build the kind of line you want in front of a young, developing QB.

Right now, I want the Jets to target Josh Evans and Da'Rick Rogers if possible. So far, I love the Winters pick and the move for Ivory...I'm willing to wait on OLB at this point, because the real game changers are all but gone. There are still interesting Safeties and WR's available though...time to target those positions.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#47 » by BRIGGS » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:43 pm

I think the jets original plan was to get both auston and smith 8 and smith. And when that fell through. They went defense and got two good players. Then they got the web they wanted at 39 They got an established exciting back w 4 and what looks like a nice ol. Can't complain.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#48 » by j4remi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:51 pm

BRIGGS wrote:I think the jets original plan was to get both auston and smith 8 and smith. And when that fell through. They went defense and got two good players. Then they got the web they wanted at 39 They got an established exciting back w 4 and what looks like a nice ol. Can't complain.

All that's left is a receiver that can give them something dynamic. Be that big speed, physical presence or great route running...If they can bring in a receiver, they'll have made me happy. I'd like a safety as well though, seeing as there are a few available. The Jets also signed a Guard last night who started every game each of the last three seasons, his name escapes me now but they've given the O-line some depth now.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#49 » by Pharmcat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:30 pm

while i dont agree with all the picks, you gotta admit NYJ has had a good weekend

RB situation fixed with ivory (and goodson)
QB of future: geno
drafted 2 O lineman
darfted 2 D players

not bad at all I must admit

maybe next year they can address WR and TE
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#50 » by GnarlesOakley » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Still seems like Rex is calling the shots. The offense will still be horrible,(but the RB squad is improved at least) but all of the draft picks are at least promising this time.

Not sure about Geno Smith, this is probably the worst possible enviornment for him to develop in, but he was the QB this year with the most starter potential.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#51 » by Pharmcat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:08 pm

GnarlesOakley wrote:Still seems like Rex is calling the shots. The offense will still be horrible,(but the RB squad is improved at least) but all of the draft picks are at least promising this time.

Not sure about Geno Smith, this is probably the worst possible enviornment for him to develop in, but he was the QB this year with the most starter potential.

team has so many holes, cant address in one draft
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#52 » by treiz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 pm

NYKMentality85 wrote:
Spoiler:
moocow007 wrote: Dee Miliner - by far the best CB and a potential game changer...enough teams needing stud CB for him to drop to 9.

Geno Smith - he might fall to 8, but no way he gets past Buffalo at 8...no way.

First and foremost good call on the Revis trade to Tampa before it happened 007. I was disheartened about losing our most dominating player of all-time (franchise wise) but it's simply insane to pay a CB of all positions, who's coming off a serious ACL injury; $16,000,000 per season. Mind boggling. We would've lost Revis for absolutely nothing come the offseason but instead we landed a 1st rounder in which we drafted a freak in Sheldon Richardson along with a 3rd rounder come next season. Not to mention all the cap-space we've freed up. Huge.

I understand you thought both Dee Milliner and Geno Smith would be gone by pick number nine during your original pick, but still, major props for even mentioning those two (current) Jets as quickly as you did. And without question you hit the nail on the head; we drafted the greatest college CB of this years draft class.

We may have lost Revis but we do feature our very own pro-bowl talent in Antonio Cromarite (who's not coming off a major ACL injury). With or without Revis we're one of only a few teams in which currently feature three first round CB's in Cromarite, Milliner and Wilson. Could be much worse to say the least. So stoked to see our trio of CB's take the field under a Rex Ryan led defense.

And with our draft selection of Sheldon Richardson, we've completely re-vamped our entire defensive line over the previous three drafts. Wilkerson as a 2nd year player along with Coples as a rookie both had outstanding seasons last year. Both first round talents as well. K.Ellis is nice for added depth within the trenches but Richardson is the reason why we've re-vamped. Another first round selection. Coples, Richardson and/or Wilkerson may not be elite pass rushers from the outside, but these kids will apply a boat load of interior pressure amongst opposing QB's for many of years to come. Wilk put up 5.0 sacks as a second year player while Coples put up 5.5 sacks during only his rookie season. Love our defensive line.

So many first round defensive players, we're young, and the immediate potential/future is strong as ever in regards to our defense under Rex.

And in regards to Geno Smith? Damn man. Wow. A freaking steal of a second round draft pick. He shouldn't have been there. Sanchez only had 1 year of starting college experience and was as raw as they came. No longer the case with Geno Smith. This kid is an NFL ready QB after 4 seasons of experience along with 3 years of full time starting. During the Revis thread on our Knicks forums I made it known I wanted one of only two offensive talents. 1A.) Geno Smith and 1B.) Tavon Austin. So excited we got my guy but instead of at number 9... At 7th of the second round. Remarkable. And yes Tavon is a special talent but Geno's the quarterback in which put him in position to make plays.

Senior Seasons:
Geno S: 42 TD's/6 INT's, 71.2%, QB Rating of 163.9.
Manuel: 23 TD's/10 INT's, 68.0%, QB Rating of 156.0.

We without question drafted the greatest college QB of the Nation and not even Sanchez numbers of his 1 year of starting with USC can compare to Geno's. E.J Manuel looks to rush the football way too often, but Geno's a pure pocket passing quarterback with ability to take off but only when creating nothing into something. Such a gifted quarterback talent.

+1 to this.

We came up with 3 talents who could've been top 10 picks on a different day with our first 3 picks. Also, these 3 people have the potential to either start from day 1, or sit out a year and learn as in Geno's case. We also took 3 players who were arguably the number 1 player in their respective player boards. Add that with Chris Ivory and Brian Minter

I understand maybe they should've gone a different route with perhaps with some of them (Star instead or Sheldon, really thought he could be Ngata like, we also needed a NT). But when you look at the value, we came away like bandits this draft.
PumaClyde
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Post#53 » by PumaClyde » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 pm

After seeing the rest of the picks, i feel good about next season.

Jets got the running back Ivory, Ol, DT, QB, CB.

Pretty good Draft IMO

Geno smith,

If he starts on the bench and we suck, we get to draft early.

If we suck and he plays well, we have a high pick and can trade down for more assets

Funny thing, actually anticipating the season now.
"When two teams suck, the hustler always wins- Puma
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#54 » by Grover » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 pm

I will hold off on judging the draft until the rest of the offseason unfolds. I can't argue the positional value of Milliner over Warmack, Jones or Eifert and I will trust Richardson's motor over the potential dominance versus any of the medical concerns of Lotulelei. I understand taking Smith though I fear the Jets may ruin him if the offensive line is once again a turnstile. Even if he is successful the team will likely stink up the league and be drafting very early where Bridgewater and Manziel might be available but that would be too much of a gamble. If the Jets wanted to win their only chance was to have God on their side and cutting Tebow ensures he has left the building.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#55 » by zilby » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Milliner is a huge risk with all those surgeries. If he stays healthy though, huge boost to the secondary if one of Wilson or Cro sucks/goes down.

Grabbing Geno in the 2nd round I'm a fan of, even if we do keep him on the bench for the first part of the season if you find Sanchez either playing better or untradeable.

Rest was ok. I'm cool with the trade for Ivory, we need just a RB right now.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#56 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:33 am

Ivory has potential of being a very big deal for us...under the radar player with great numbers in low reps, if he's anything near his short term production...We got a great deal.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Jets