NFL Draft 2015 - Jets Edition

Moderator: Rich Rane

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

NFL Draft 2015 - Jets Edition 

Post#1 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Despite Rex Ryan giving the Jets a "gift" (3 straight wins to end the season), the Jets are still in position to land an impact talent. There's still a lot of movement up and down the mocks with the one constant seemingly being Jameis Winston going to Tampa with the 1st overall pick.

Depending on how the draft goes it is possible that the Jets can get the opportunity to draft any of the following players:

LEONARD WILLIAMS, DT/DE

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg17pcORq6w[/youtube]

Williams is probably the least likely of the group to drop and is considered by some to actually be the best overall prospect in this draft, but in the unlikelihood he is still around, the Jets would be nuts to pass. Would form a pretty damn interest trio of Williams, Wilkerson and Richardson up front though. A real scary one with Williams likely in the middle. Leonard Williams is an absolute freak. A guy with his size with that type of strength, explosiveness and mobility in the middle of a defensive line? Constantly requiring double and triple teams by the opposing offensive line? Man Oh Man.

---

DANTE FOWLER, OLB

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbYyVTTtnRc[/youtube]

---

AMARI COOPER, WR

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOM1TW1xA[/youtube]

---

KEVIN WHITE, WR

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPkiSl3jEbQ[/youtube]

White IMO is a more dynamic talent than Cooper and I would take him over Cooper if both were available. White is just nasty with his combination of size, strength and explosiveness.

---

RANDY GREGORY, DE/OLB

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BREHTXuUA[/youtube]

Not a big fan. I think some concerns that he could be the next Dion Jordan is merited.

---

MARCUS MARIOTA, QB

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku9bP5ZAkWY[/youtube]

I mean there's no question the athleticism, throwing ability, smarts, etc. Question really is can he play a pro style offense. I mean he should right? But who knows. I don't think any of us are savvy enough in the nitty gritty ways of NFL offenses and QB fit to know for sure.

---

SHANE RAY, DE/OLB

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mg63-fD9BM[/youtube]

Ray may be kinda caught between a DE and an OLB but he's an aggressive hitter.

---

VIC BEASLEY, OLB

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zFMVMMNh9w[/youtube]

Beasley could turn out to be the best OLB in this draft. There's something about him that screams impact player.

---

TODD GURLEY, RB

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Vy61HobfM[/youtube]

I think Gurley is a game changer. He's got the entire package for a RB that also can catch passes which would give whomever the Jets start at QB a tremendous weapon. The knee is obviously a huge question mark. But the general feeling is that he still won't make it past the Lions pick at 23rd. Talk that a LOT of teams are quietly very interested in Gurley and that he could go as high as 6 to the Jets.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: NFL Draft 2015 - Jets Edition 

Post#2 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:19 pm

There's been all sorts of talk about what the Jets could do at 6th. Do they take Mariota if he's still there? Do they trade him for a "haul" to the Eagles? Do they trade down? There's also a rumor that the Eagles traded for Sam Bradford with the possibility of moving him to the Browns for their 1st round pick which then, could be packaged along with the Eagles own 1st round pick in a deal for Mariota. Whether that rumor is a trade with the Titans at 2 or the Jets at 6 is not clear. But the Browns have the 12th and 19th picks.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,648

Post#3 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:42 pm

Mocks have been crazy. I saw one with Fowler and Cooper available to the Jets and they took Cooper. Many still have Mariota falling to the Jets and the Jets taking him over everyone else. Shane Ray has been in some mocks I looked at as well. I was really surprised to see one mock with Gurley taken 6 by the Jets, you're definitely on point to mention him and his potential if healthy.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by moocow007 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:45 pm

j4remi wrote:Mocks have been crazy. I saw one with Fowler and Cooper available to the Jets and they took Cooper. Many still have Mariota falling to the Jets and the Jets taking him over everyone else. Shane Ray has been in some mocks I looked at as well. I was really surprised to see one mock with Gurley taken 6 by the Jets, you're definitely on point to mention him and his potential if healthy.

Yep. Brian Baldinger of NFL.com has Gurley going 6th to the Jets. Baldinger said that Gurley was his highest ranked player in the draft (if his knees are fine).
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#5 » by j4remi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:11 pm

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/03/1 ... -worth-it/

New rumor says San Diego may try to package their first (17) and Rivers for Mariota. That's not a bad haul for this squad (I'm a Rivers fan, so maybe I'm being biased). Also, WalterFootball mentioned that Gurley would be too good for the Texans to pass up at 16 and that the Jets would be favorite to pick him if he was healthy, so more co-signs there.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by moocow007 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:08 pm

j4remi wrote:http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/03/1 ... -worth-it/

New rumor says San Diego may try to package their first (17) and Rivers for Mariota. That's not a bad haul for this squad (I'm a Rivers fan, so maybe I'm being biased). Also, WalterFootball mentioned that Gurley would be too good for the Texans to pass up at 16 and that the Jets would be favorite to pick him if he was healthy, so more co-signs there.

Rivers is a bit on the old side at 33 and he's hinted that he may not want to play much longer (has said that he'd rather just play the year out than talk extension). I'm not sure that, despite all the moves, the Jets are a super bowl caliber team.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Now rumors spreading that the Jets may actually be targeting a QB but not the one that most people hope/want. Jets apparently very interested in QB Brett Hundley with their early 2nd round pick. Apparently they were very impressed by everything about Hundley. Hundley is like Mariota in some ways. Super athletic. Can run the ball real well. Has a strong accurate arm. But questions about whether he can adjust to NFL style offense.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-V_AbmAn0[/youtube]
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#8 » by j4remi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:18 pm

moocow007 wrote:Now rumors spreading that the Jets may actually be targeting a QB but not the one that most people hope/want. Jets apparently very interested in QB Brett Hundley with their early 2nd round pick. Apparently they were very impressed by everything about Hundley. Hundley is like Mariota in some ways. Super athletic. Can run the ball real well. Has a strong accurate arm. But questions about whether he can adjust to NFL style offense.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-V_AbmAn0[/youtube]

I really know absolutely nothing about him. Spent all season checking for Mariota and Winston. Some of the reports I read after you posted this though, said the gap between Hundley and Mariota isn't wide at all and I saw a few scouts say Hundley has the most upside of all QB's in the draft. At this point, Hundley in the second makes a lot of sense. We can still add a pass rusher in the first (where there are 3-5 options depending on how things shake out...or Gurley) and then we add a QB who can enter the competition but with no pressure. Hundley sounds like he'll need a year or two but Fitz is a nice insurance piece and Geno gets one more year to make a statement. I hope Maccagnan doesn't think his FA at O-line was enough and adds at least a developmental/depth piece or two to continue overhauling that section.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#9 » by Shemy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:43 am

Hundley seems like a good "project QB", let him spend a season or two with a clipboard in hand and watch a la Kapernick

im for drafting mariota, and with Gailey as the OC think he could have a smoother transition to the pros...but cant help but think of how good some of these deals you are getting could potentially be if he falls to us, Philly being the obvious choice and their were rumors of Cleveland potentially trading up (who have two first rounders)

would you trade the 6th pick for Cleveland two first rounders (12 & 19) Scherff? & Gurley?
"They scared now"
Shemy
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Shemy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:50 am

j4remi wrote:http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/03/1 ... -worth-it/

their GM ruled it out...the rumor was that the titans would get him though
"They scared now"
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by j4remi » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:47 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/shaun-king ... 45253.html

post FA moves, Fowler and Beasley are the two guys I'd most like to land...so I like this mock.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,027

Post#12 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:16 pm

I know there is a strong need for an edge rusher and one who can contribute right away, and part of me wants that guy, so the D can potentially go from very good to elite.

But the other part of me leans to the elite wide receiver, though supposedly there are good receivers to be had in roundes 2-4.

HEre is my reasoning. Decker plays outside receiver, but is not a burner. Marshall some list as an outside receiver, but apparently he has most of his success in the slot - he's much more effective there, though he can line up all over.

I'd rather the Jets go Decker - outside/Marshall - slot (and outside sometimes) and Draft Pick (Cooper or White) on the outside - a burner who can actually play WR to take the top off the D.

Thoughts?
goldenbrandon
Senior
And1: 106

Post#13 » by goldenbrandon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:45 pm

moocow007 wrote:
j4remi wrote:Mocks have been crazy. I saw one with Fowler and Cooper available to the Jets and they took Cooper. Many still have Mariota falling to the Jets and the Jets taking him over everyone else. Shane Ray has been in some mocks I looked at as well. I was really surprised to see one mock with Gurley taken 6 by the Jets, you're definitely on point to mention him and his potential if healthy.

Yep. Brian Baldinger of NFL.com has Gurley going 6th to the Jets. Baldinger said that Gurley was his highest ranked player in the draft (if his knees are fine).

Maybe because I'm an Ohio State and I watch a lot of big ten football, I have Melvin Gordon as clear cut best back in the draft. Georgia has 4 NFL caliber players on there o line so Gurley could be a product of a great line. Abdullah from Nebraska is a beast too. If we take a back in the first I hope it Mr Melvin gordan.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#14 » by Grover » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:52 pm

It's funny this year as arguments can be made for going in several directions including trading down. I'm still of the opinion that if the brain trust believes Mariota is a future very good quarterback that they take him at six but I'm not opposed to trading back with Philly for Bradford, #20 and another pick. I've seen a third rounder with a question mark and that seems about fair with the trading chart if Bradford is valued at the tail end of the first round. A healthy Bradford has the most upside for the upcoming season but Mariota could potentially be a long term fixture and it's probably only a year of being anxious as the defense probably keeps the Jets in several more games and they improve their record. There is probably a very good chance for Gregory, Ray or Dupree to be available at #20 and the extra third could still be used for some depth or perhaps a guard if Dozier isn't ready to replace Colon. If Mariota is gone I tend to lean toward one of the three top receivers versus the edge rusher due to Decker and Marshall missing time last season to injury and Marshall's diva attitude possibly getting him cut after the season. The depth at receiver is also a collection of question marks. I'm not a big fan of drafting a running back in the first round with such a deep class but do agree that Gurley and Gordon are potentially special. Most years I fall victim of wishing the Jets were picking a couple of spots higher for that one player that won't fall to them but six is a great spot not to go wrong. Now watch Maccagnan draft a corner, nose tackle or safety and piss me off.
Grover
Rookie

Post#15 » by Grover » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Draftek.com's current mock is so near perfect that the writer has to be a Jet fan though there is little likelihood it plays out. Mariota in the first, Flowers dropping to the second, Golden in the third and Duke Johnson in the fourth. Sign me up now.
Shemy
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Shemy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 pm

yea that be pretty sick
"They scared now"
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Grover wrote:Draftek.com's current mock is so near perfect that the writer has to be a Jet fan though there is little likelihood it plays out. Mariota in the first, Flowers dropping to the second, Golden in the third and Duke Johnson in the fourth. Sign me up now.

Sign me up for that...won't happen but sign me up anyway.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Grover
Rookie

Post#18 » by Grover » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:12 pm

If I were to put a board together for the Jets at six it might look something like this:

1. Winston
2. Mariota
3. Williams
4. Cooper
5. White
6. Fowler

Reading up on Chan Gailey's offensive philosophy shows a much more spread offense than I had previously believed. One back and three wideouts is the most frequent set. All three of the Jet wideouts missed time last year and the backups are borderline or unproven at best. I think we are going to continue to hear edge rusher all week but Cooper is the likely target if Mariota is gone. Whether White rates above him on their board or Fowler, Beasley, Ray or an offensive lineman is anybody's guess but even with so few picks I see Maccagnan looking at one or more receivers. Greenie summarily passed on Williams in McShay's mock but you have to at least consider a shift in the base defense if you are Bowles with a beast available at six, a stickier backfield and the ability to potentially cheat at linebacker with a hybrid safety like Landry playing in the box and blitzing frequently. We knew pre-free agency that the shift would be the cheaper option but it still is an option if Williams falls and it could be the impetus for a transcendental defense. Don't discount the potential for Babin and Pace to benefit from the defensive backfield improvements regardless of their age. I listened to Jeff Saturday on one of the radio shows talk about how offensive lineman never fear first year pass rushers as they never come out of school with the skills to contribute early. And for God's sake don't forget Gholston.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#19 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Shane Ray is tanking his value, could go as low as third round...I'd love to get him there even with the injury and possession.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Shemy
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Shemy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:52 am

if Shane Ray fell to the second to us that would be awesome on so many levels, along with us picking someone like a cooper or a white in the first??
"They scared now"

Return to New York Jets