ImageImageImageImageImage

WHAT IF, #2 overall...

Moderator: Rich Rane

Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 247

WHAT IF, #2 overall... 

Post#1 » by Samson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:14 am

....we traded the farm to the Lions (who want to trade down more than I wanted Reggie Bush, standing on the street corner across from Radio City Music Hall last year, from 6-11:45, being assured I and the 200000 other people outside would be eventually let in, only to be told by a well-dressed NFL exec. "If you wanna see the draft you better get to a bar....").....to get the #2 overall pick and select Joe Thomas....

I mean....I'm simply throwing the pasta to the wall to see if it sticks...but imagine.....D'Brick, Mangold, and Joe Thomas for the next 10 years....

Although I have to admit, in this Samson-verse scenario, (not universe dammit, Samson-verse btw)....I would rather have Calvin Johnson, but again, just saying, imagine that line...
OneCent
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#2 » by OneCent » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:35 am

I'd absolutely love to have Thomas, but I'd also like to have some other draft picks, this year and next. Trading up to get Detroit's pick would probably involving either trading our entire draft this year, trading some high picks this year and some from next year, or trading a couple of picks as well as Vilma. Despite his "down year", Vilma is still the leader of our defense and a very important part of the team. I think we need to stay where we are, or even trade down, and pick up whomever we can later in the draft.

... Even if that means living with Clement for another year :-?
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Samson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:50 am

I agree that it would involve alot...I would have no prob with our 1st round pick this year, both 2nd round picks this year, and next years 2nd, if that would get it done (according to the draft value chart this doesn't work I know, but consider DET's desire to trade down, get more picks, save money on the cap, and many needs across the team)....but get 'er done!

Don't trade Vilma, almost ever, I agree....

Also I should mention in all seriousness I would also really like Pos from Penn State...he's a perfect fit for us all around...
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 733

Post#4 » by Clincher » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:16 am

If only we didnt take Kellen Clemens I would rush the damn pick down to take Sir Brady Quinn. :)
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#5 » by treiz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:26 pm

That line would be very nice to have, but it'll cost too much, as for trading Vilma, that's a hell no!
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#6 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:57 pm

Yeah I see no reason to trade Vilma even for the second pick overall. I have my doubts that Thomas would be the same effective tackle if he were switched.

I did this run down before but there really is not one player that makes sense for us at two.

Calvin Johnson would be the pick for me in dream scenario personally, If Clemens ever makes it to the show what a perfect weapon.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Jets