Series Thread: Oakland A's v. Seattle Mariners

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#21 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:00 am

Every out by Hernandez was either by the K or by groundout.

That's craziness.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Bow2Yao11
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Bow2Yao11 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:44 am

The King has arrived.
John Wall>>>>>>>>>Ricky Rubio
FaTaL
Veteran
And1: 11

Post#23 » by FaTaL » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:02 am

the king dominated
RockyBalboa
Banned User

Post#24 » by RockyBalboa » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:45 am

I guess losing 25 lbs reall really helped!
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#25 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:21 am

A shutout of the A's before a sellout crowd. Wow.

That's the kind of thing that makes you hopeful in spite of the s**tty offseason.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#26 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:15 am

Such a brilliant performance by the King. I guess losing all that weight in the offseason payed off, along with staying healthy. His fastball stayed around 97-98, and his slider was flat-out filthy.

We were definitely helped out by Oaklands miscues on defense though. We wouldnt even have scored in the 6th if that double play is turned. Still, I am LIKING the look of our offense. They didnt do too much yesterday afternoon, but we have solid bats throughout the order.

BlackMamba wrote:why didnt felix completed the game?

Because it is early in the season, and there is no need to put extra strain on Felix. Everyone is just getting into the swing of things, and he was already around the 100 pitch mark. It was a good move to bring in Putz.

Felix Hernandez had already proven his dominance to the Oakland Athletics.
NateMustGo
Starter

Post#27 » by NateMustGo » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:14 pm

The Ms looked great yesterday,The King what can you say.D was as good as ive seen in years and the hitting was timely. Oakland made the only mistakes of the game and the Ms took advantage of them. Great start to the season.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#28 » by Sweezo » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:23 pm

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:Such a brilliant performance by the King. I guess losing all that weight in the offseason payed off, along with staying healthy.

I see alot of people thinking the weight's the reason Felix has come out on fire, but I don' think that's it. I think losing the weight is more or less evidence of the commitment Felix has to just being ready to go...it's evidence of a new found mindset of a player who understands what's being asked of him and has done everything he can to show he's ready to go.

Clemens, Wells, Colon, Sabathia...there's a lot of fatties out there who've had great success as aces. Wells even credits being more rotund with helping him succeed.
myELFboy
Analyst

Post#29 » by myELFboy » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:47 pm

That was a good game. The HR by Sexson, though allowed by error, was a great site.

I must give props to the hometown boy Travis Buck on the Oakland A's. It wasn't too long ago that he was playing ball at Richland High. From Richland to the big leagues....it's pretty cool to see him now, already, as a starting RF for Oakland...and he got a double off of Felix yesterday. We may not have gone to the same highschool in Richland, but its pretty cool to see a local guy make it to the big leagues, and so fast.
Bow2Yao11
Veteran

Post#30 » by Bow2Yao11 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:58 am

Sexson just hit another HR.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:41 am

Another reader suggested doing series threads instead of game threads...that makes sense to me.

What's going on with the M's? Two wins in a row, and Sexson's on fire. If the 2-4 hitters get going between Ichiro and Sexson, watch out...

Wow. With a healthy Putz, Morrow, and Reitsma, this bullpen might mow people down in the last three innings every night. Too bad Mateo still sucks...I would take Chan Ho Park over Julio Mateo.

Jose Guillen's already done more in two games than Carl Everett did all last season.

Washburn came out on a mission too. With a possibly legit ace like Felix on the roster, does that give some of the other starters a kick in the butt to try and keep themselves from being embarrassed? Then again, Wash started off last year with a great game, too...
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:49 am

2nd game of the season and we just tied the number of wins we had last year against Oakland.
Bow2Yao11
Veteran

Post#33 » by Bow2Yao11 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:52 am

Sweezo wrote:2nd game of the season and we just tied the number of wins we had last year against Oakland.

Signs of things to come this season?
Bow2Yao11
Veteran

Post#34 » by Bow2Yao11 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:53 am

Sweezo wrote:Another reader suggested doing series threads instead of game threads...that makes sense to me.

What's going on with the M's? Two wins in a row, and Sexson's on fire. If the 2-4 hitters get going between Ichiro and Sexson, watch out...

Wow. With a healthy Putz, Morrow, and Reitsma, this bullpen might mow people down in the last three innings every night. Too bad Mateo still sucks...I would take Chan Ho Park over Julio Mateo.

Jose Guillen's already done more in two games than Carl Everett did all last season.

Washburn came out on a mission too. With a possibly legit ace like Felix on the roster, does that give some of the other starters a kick in the butt to try and keep themselves from being embarrassed? Then again, Wash started off last year with a great game, too...

The offense looks much improved. Our lineup from top to bottom can all hit. Our bullpen needs some work....Could've used Soriano instead of Mateo tonight.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 4, 2007 5:24 am

Mateo pisses me off. The announcers love to trot out the stat about how many wins he had last year...well, tonight's a reminder of why he has so many wins. He blows leads, is left in too long, and then the offense decides to bail him out.

He's the only player on the roster that I think is pure garbage. Even Bloomquist serves a purpose.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:37 am

I totally agree with you about Mateo.

Funny thing, since I couldn't see the game, I was watching it online, and as soon as that first baserunner got on against him, I said to my brother "He's going to blow the lead for us", and BAM, lead gone. He is such garbage, for sure.

Good to see our guys stepping up and delivering, especially in the two out spots. Wash was great, and the offense picked it up.

Gives me hope for the year!
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#37 » by BlackMamba » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:02 pm

wow, 2 in a row. mariners lead the american league!!!!!! :clap:

but seriously, its still to early in the season, but the mariners are looking good, sexson will be again the go to man for the team.

i hope the pitching staff can stay consistent.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#38 » by Milkdud » Wed Apr 4, 2007 5:36 pm

The lineup looks very very good this year, question really is gonna be Bullpen and starters after the top 2.

Is a sweep of the A's to much to ask??
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#39 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 4, 2007 7:26 pm

We finally get to show you our ace... why he didn't pitch game 2, I'll never understand.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#40 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:25 pm

re: Washburn, I think we all knew he was a decent to solid pitcher, but he would never have been considered No. 2 caliber at any point. If anything, we could say he's playing up to the level of his position. Which is a very positive thing.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.

Return to Seattle Mariners