Jets completely revamped their defense

Moderator: Rich Rane

Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Jets completely revamped their defense 

Post#1 » by Flaming Mo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Going into this offseason, one of the Jets' biggest problems definitely was the defense. Last year, they ranked 20th in total defense, 24th in rush defense and 14th in pass defense. In the playoff game against the Patriots it also was evident that the team just couldn't stop opponents often enough. Over the course of the entire season the Jets had problems with teams running the ball right at them and their undersized defensive front.

Now some of the problems will certainly get better just by working in the 3-4 defense for the second year. Last year was an adjustment period and we all know how difficult it is to change your defensive scheme, especially since it requires a certain brand of players for the 3-4 defense. A year under their belts will help the players to be more comfortable and more secure with the new scheme. But the Jets not only let time take it's toe, they also went out and added a number of defensive players that not only add depth but also quality to their below average defense of 2006. Here's a list of the most likely new starters on defense:

Kenyon Coleman (DE)
David Harris (ILB)
Darrelle Revis (CB)

Those are three aquisitions to spots where some of the Jets' biggest problems lay last year. Coleman will likely replace the aging Kimo Von Oelhoffen who didn't play well at all last year. Coleman comes from a 3-4 system in Dallas and under Bill Parcells so he has a lot of experience in that scheme and he also played a lot last year for the Cowboys despite not starting. Harris is a prototypical big inside linebacker who they Jets need next to defensive captain Jonathan Vilma. Harris is stout against the run, has good size and while at Michigan he was part of one of the best run defenses in college football. Revis fills a huge need at cornerback after the Jets had to play a lot of different names recently without finding a surefire starter opposite to Andre Dyson. Revis gives Mangini a great talent and potential to work with and we all know about his recent work with cornerbacks. Revis is also very physical and can also help against the run.

Now these aren't the only additions to the Jets defense. They also added a number of bodies to give their defense depth and more bulk. Players like Michael Haynes and David Bowens fit the scheme perfectly (Haynes at DE and Bowens at OLB) and will give Mangini more bodies to throw out there and stir up the competition in the team.

We as Jets can really be happy with how the Jets worked this offseason, they went out and filled need and also got players who are young and hungry. Three new starters for your defense is a pretty big deal and if we look at our defense it's a very young group with many players being at the beginning of their career or just entering their primes (Vilma, Harris, Robertson, Coleman, Dyson, Harris, Rhodes, Thomas, Revis, Miller etc.)...
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#2 » by treiz » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:32 pm

Good post, and very pleased with the Jets front office this off-season
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,979

Post#3 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:25 pm

One thing im really looking forward to see how it turns out is the rotation on the defensive line. With players like Ellis, Haynes, Bowens, Coleman, Robertson, Wadsworth and Thomas I would like to see a bunch of rotations.

I feel that a healthy Coleman for the entire year will help our secondary a lot, not to mention Revis. Dyson played good last year, but this is the year that Miller needs to show us something aside from returning.

Harris is perfect for our system and great against the run. That was the key problem for us last year. Going into the second year of the 3-4 I feel that we are going to see some great progress.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,990

Post#4 » by Rich Rane » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:00 pm

Anyone think Revis will be our punt returner or do we leave that to Justin Miller also?
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,884

Post#5 » by Jose7 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:18 pm

Justin Miller didn't return punts last year, Leon Washington did I believe.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,990

Post#6 » by Rich Rane » Tue May 1, 2007 12:43 am

[quote="Jose7
DownWithRadio
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#7 » by DownWithRadio » Mon May 7, 2007 3:14 pm

Let's not forget that we have a stud running back on the other side of the ball now.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#8 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:54 am

As it turns out, my optimism was way overboard. We filled needs but we still have huge holes to fill. We need more top talent for the 3-4 and not only backups or washed up veterans...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,979

Post#9 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:53 pm

Kenyon Coleman has been our best defensive linemen thus far if you go by the stats. Ellis and Robertson are not meant to be in this system, it is evident just by watching. Though they both are giving it all they can, thats shows they are trying.

Harris needs to be starting now, every time he is in the game he makes the play. I dont care for Barton at all at this point, I want Harris starting.

Revis what else can you say, he has been our best CB. You can see he is a rookie, but he is making more noise for positive plays then negative. He is doing a great job.

We need to start sending Rhodes off the corner more, we need to see a Thomas sighting and heck wheres Hobson? Vilma is making plays still, but still not at the level in his first two years.

Its as simple as this, our defense is not a better unit in the 3-4.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#10 » by treiz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:07 pm

Yeah, I think we need to go back to the 4-3....as much as I love the effort these guys are putting out there to work in these system. It's just not working. Ellis, Robertson, Vilma is much more effective in the 4-3. Harris was an absolute monster yesterday, the guy was all over the field when he got on the field, would love to see him and Revis (who has been outstanding covering and tackling) get more PT. And if we go to the 4-3, where would Harris play?...I'd put him at weak-side since he has the speed an athleticism.

Also, does anyone have a video of the Baker TD?....the match kinda cut-off at me during the end of the 2nd so I missed it.

Return to New York Jets