ImageImageImageImageImage

How many more chances would you give Pelfrey?

Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,459

How many more chances would you give Pelfrey? 

Post#1 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:19 pm

Most of us wanted him in the rotation to start the season. Major, in fact - was adamant about it.

I had some second thoughts, I believe I posted them (in the now locked official mets thread) - about Willy wanting to Keep Pelf at around 150-160 innings and that maybe starting him wasn't the best move with that in mind.

But, I'd think about bringing up Chan Ho now. OK, the kids only had 3 starts, but if I was manager, I'd send him down, let him work on what he needs to work on & Bring up the Vet (who should at least win half his games with us, maybe better than that).
Didn't expect to be rooting for the Celtics, but that's what happened.

Go Boston, Go Boston. Go Boston. Crush the silly Mavericks.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#2 » by mjhp911 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:26 pm

At least one more start. Maybe two. If he completely bombs, then send him down. He's still very young. He's got good stuff. But it seems he's being overpowered in the majors...
holdupstop23
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#3 » by holdupstop23 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:31 pm

**Proud Member of the Frank Williams for Starter Campaign**
Member #1 of 1
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,884

Post#4 » by Jose7 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:13 pm

THe next month.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,979

Post#5 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:40 pm

mjhp911 wrote:At least one more start. Maybe two. If he completely bombs, then send him down. He's still very young. He's got good stuff. But it seems he's being overpowered in the majors...

Exactly what I think.

If he next start is solid keep him around, but if he gives up another five runs early its time to send him back down. Bring him back up around the all-star break if he regains him composure.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
majorleads
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: How many more chances would you give Pelfrey? 

Post#6 » by majorleads » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:40 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Most of us wanted him in the rotation to start the season. Major, in fact - was adamant about it.

I had some second thoughts, I believe I posted them (in the now locked official mets thread) - about Willy wanting to Keep Pelf at around 150-160 innings and that maybe starting him wasn't the best move with that in mind.

But, I'd think about bringing up Chan Ho now. OK, the kids only had 3 starts, but if I was manager, I'd send him down, let him work on what he needs to work on & Bring up the Vet (who should at least win half his games with us, maybe better than that).

You keep Pelfrey here because Rick Peterson is here. Just like Rick worked his magic with Maine and Ollie, he will do the same with Pelfrey. His pitches right now are flat and not sinking, nothing like it was during spring training. Theres a flaw in his mechanics which I'm quite sure RICK PETERSON will help straighten out.

If this was later in the season or, if we weren't in first place, then yeah sure send Pelfrey down, but not now. He's our FIFTH starter and anyone we bring up from the minors is just mediocrity. Better to let Pelfrey work with "The Jacket," then send him down to work with someone who isn't as skilled in bringing out the best in major league pitchers.
holdupstop23
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#7 » by holdupstop23 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:38 am

We cant just lose these 5th games to just work with Pelfrey. The Braves are right on us. Peterson isn't a magician. Pelfrey would do just fine working in NO.

Just bring up Park and let him eat innings. He cant be worse than Pelfrey.

Also Pelfrey trashed his curveball so he could pitch up here. He supposedly had a nasty curveball. Let him work on it again in the minors.
**Proud Member of the Frank Williams for Starter Campaign**
Member #1 of 1
DocZaius
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#8 » by DocZaius » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:09 am

Not too many, the guy reminds me of Grant Roberts without the weed.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,459

Post#9 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:14 am

If we had nobody ready (like last year) - I'd say give him 2-3 more tries.

But with Chan Ho - I'm at the 0 to 1 more try. Chan Ho is not as bad as Major says he is.
Didn't expect to be rooting for the Celtics, but that's what happened.

Go Boston, Go Boston. Go Boston. Crush the silly Mavericks.
pwayknicks
Head Coach
And1: 716

Post#10 » by pwayknicks » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:34 pm

We are sitting pretty at first place, he is a 5th starter who you can dodge on occasion, I would keep him year until at least mid-season....let the kid learn from Rick Peterson and let him gain experience in the majors, we know he has stuff hes just lacking confidence right now.....it will come around....sending him down could be a huge hit to his confidence.....

Again we should have no problems making the playoffs, our goal right now is to develop Pelfrey into a legitmate starter...
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
majorleads
Banned User

Post#11 » by majorleads » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:20 pm

pwayknicks wrote:We are sitting pretty at first place, he is a 5th starter who you can dodge on occasion, I would keep him year until at least mid-season....let the kid learn from Rick Peterson and let him gain experience in the majors, we know he has stuff hes just lacking confidence right now.....it will come around....sending him down could be a huge hit to his confidence.....

Again we should have no problems making the playoffs, our goal right now is to develop Pelfrey into a legitmate starter...

Yup, let him learn from Peterson. I can understand sending him down right now if we had a pitching prospect whose ready to come up, but we don't, all we have down there is retreads. Humber is not ready. If we yanked Maine or Perez out of the rotation after they struggled at first, they wouldn't have had the chance to work with Peterson and be as good as they are now.
majorleads
Banned User

Post#12 » by majorleads » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:25 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:If we had nobody ready (like last year) - I'd say give him 2-3 more tries.

But with Chan Ho - I'm at the 0 to 1 more try. Chan Ho is not as bad as Major says he is.

Crappy Ho is getting bombed in AAA. He's given up 17 ER in 21 innings. 7 hr's too. 7.29 ERA. Also Crappy has a 1.48 WHIP.

If we're going too bring someone up, it would be Jorge Sosa who is 3-0 with a 1.38 ERA a 1.04 WHIP, 24 k's and 6 bb's.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,788

Post#13 » by Lord Commander » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:00 pm

Well according to the Bergen Record, the "buzz" around the Mets is that Pelfrey is in danger of losing his 5th starter spot.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... FlZUVFeXk2
majorleads
Banned User

Post#14 » by majorleads » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:42 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:Well according to the Bergen Record, the "buzz" around the Mets is that Pelfrey is in danger of losing his 5th starter spot.

Shorten up that link! :roll:

As far as that article goes, where does it say Pelfrey is in danger of losing his spot in the rotation?!?!?!?!? Didn't hear Willie say that. And obviously if he doesn't respond to Peterson and get better, he's going too lose his spot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the Mets can't wait forever if he doesn't fix whatever his problems are.
Lord Commander
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Lord Commander » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:57 pm

majorleads wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Shorten up that link! :roll:

As far as that article goes, where does it say Pelfrey is in danger of losing his spot in the rotation?!?!?!?!? Didn't hear Willie say that. And obviously if he doesn't respond to Peterson and get better, he's going too lose his spot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the Mets can't wait forever if he doesn't fix whatever his problems are.

While it appears to be the columnist's opinion, here's the article....

By JOHN ROWE

A venerable pitching coach once described potential as a French word for somebody who hasn't done anything yet.

He must have been thinking of Mike Pelfrey.

While the Mets still dream of the day when their former first-round draft pick will be a No. 1 starter, the reality is he's in danger of losing his status as their No. 5 starter.

Even on a team with the best offense in the National League, if not the majors, a performance like Pelfrey's on Wednesday, when he was roughed up for six runs and eight hits in three innings in the 11-5 loss to Colorado, is unacceptable.

"Right now I'm struggling," Pelfrey admitted. "I'm in a little rut."

More like a big rut. After a creditable no-decision in his first start, the rookie right-hander has given up 10 runs, 14 hits and two home runs in eight innings. On the season, he's 0-2 with an inflated 7.90 earned-run average. The buzz around the Mets is that Pelfrey could be headed back to the minors if he doesn't pitch well in his next start.

If there is a next start.

Asked how long he would go with Pelfrey, manager Willie Randolph responded abruptly: "Right now, he's still my fifth starter." Asked if Pelfrey might need to skip a start to regroup, Randolph answered: "We haven't discussed that yet. Right now, he's in the rotation."

Hardly glowing endorsements.

But Pelfrey has only himself to blame. He continues to get behind hitters and is haunted by poor location. While his fastball is still in the low- to mid-90s, it lacks movement. After another pregame bullpen session in which he estimates he probably didn't miss a spot, he was constantly missing in allowing the most runs and hits he's given up in his seven career starts.

Even worse, Pelfrey admitted to hurting himself by refusing to adjust to Colorado's hitters. They had scored two runs in 21 innings in losing the first two games of the series and had gone a franchise-record seven consecutive games without a homer until John Mabry (who had not homered or driven in a run) jumped on a hanging change-up and hit a three-run shot that capped Colorado's five-run third inning.

"I kept throwing fastballs and they kept hitting them. That's a bad combination," said Pelfrey. "I guess I was a little too stubborn."

Which is not a good attribute for a pitcher. With Tom Seaver, the franchise's greatest pitcher a visitor to the TV booth, Pelfrey unraveled as a primer for Colorado's 20-hit onslaught against five Mets pitchers. Matt Holiday, Todd Helton and Mabry, the Rockies' 3-4-5 hitters, combined for eight hits and 10 RBI, compared to combined 2-of-12 and no RBI by Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright, their Mets' counterparts -- with Beltran producing both hits.

After their memorable 12-inning win less than 24 hours before, this was a throwaway game for the Mets. They were down 9-0 before Josh Fogg allowed his first hit, the first of four by Jose Reyes, and they were behind 10-0 when third base coach Sandy Alomar Sr. unwisely waved on lumbering catcher Ramon Castro, who was gunned down by shortstop Troy Tulowitzki's relay throw as he tried to score on a pinch-hitter Damion Easley's double.

Forgetting Pelfrey's latest failure will be more difficult than erasing the memory of a rare team clunker. When top pitchers Tom Glavine and Orlando Hernandez are a combined 80 years old, or thereabout, the Mets need to develop young pitchers for the present and the future.

Realizing that, pitching coach Rick Peterson must continue to work with Pelfrey, whom Peterson says is too high-strung.

"There's a big gap between trying your best and doing your best," said Peterson. "He has to trust his other pitches [besides the fastball]. All young pitchers go through it. You don't have to be extraordinary."

At this point, the Mets might accept the potential for ordinary
majorleads
Banned User

Post#16 » by majorleads » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:06 pm

I know, I've already read all the articles and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if he doesn't show signs of progress when pitching in games, he's going to get sent down. However, Peterson and Willie say his throwing sessions in between starts have been outstanding. So it seems like it's a mental problem right now. This is something Peterson can work on with him here, not the minor leagues. But we all know this is the majors and you only get so long before patience runs out. We're in first place, our other 4 starters are pitching very well, we can afford to be patient with Pelfrey.

And shorten up that link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mardy2Curry
Junior

Post#17 » by Mardy2Curry » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:10 pm

I wouldn't panic with 3 starts under the kids belt. Let Peterson work with the kid, and before long he should be winning games for you guys. The kid has nasty stuff but hasn't had the right teacher to help guide him to that level. I understand some of you may be worried about the Braves being on your tail but its still early in the season and as long as we have Davies and Redman not winning games for us you will have more than enough time to help figure out Pelfrey or bring up Park.
Lord Commander
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Lord Commander » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:12 pm

How much patience can you exercise when he's getting rocked every time out? It's not like he's giving up 3 runs here or 4 runs there. His ERA is starting to look like the national deficit. I hear what you're saying about Peterson being able to work with him here though...
Mardy2Curry
Junior

Post#19 » by Mardy2Curry » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:21 pm

In 3 starts he has given up a total of 12 runs so its not really that bad era is high cuz he's only thrown 13.2 innings. In his MLB career he has a total of 7 starts. Lack of experience and ip at the big level is what I think the problem is. Maine was not great when he came up last season and look at him now, Oliver looks like a different pitcher as well.
chicken wing
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#20 » by chicken wing » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:35 pm

i think the best idea would be to send him down to the minor again. make him work on his control. bring him up again and see what he can do

Return to New York Mets