How do we fix this team?

Moderator: HMFFL

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

How do we fix this team? 

Post#1 » by FNQ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Seriously, this year has been so disappointing and I'm strugging to find a way to make us better.

I think we need serious help at WR (sorry, I dont think Cooper is a #1 WR), RT, HB, DT, ILB, and CB.

I hope we address HB and ILB in free agency, and draft a OT or CB in the 1st round this year. And I think our entire coaching staff can go.. Downing takes a lot of crap for this year, but frankly I think our WRs are the #1 reason our team has blown ass this year. We definitely need to do something defensively, we are absolutely wasting one of the league's best defensive talents in Khalil Mack.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,645

Re: How do we fix this team? 

Post#2 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I think the talent is on this team is fine. I think the **** coaching staff has ruined or stalled the development of our players and in many ways we've ended up seeing some of them regress. I don't think this staff has been putting our players in the best position to succeed. It wasn't until Norton got canned that we even considered moving Khalil Mack around.

I'm not going to say something as dumb as it's 100% on the coaching staff but in terms of what is realistically make the most significant change this offseason IMO...it's a new coaching staff.

We have the tools here to attract a decent name/ pedigree etc. etc. No more Dennis Allens or JDRs.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#3 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I think the talent is on this team is fine. I think the **** coaching staff has ruined or stalled the development of our players and in many ways we've ended up seeing some of them regress. I don't think this staff has been putting our players in the best position to succeed. It wasn't until Norton got canned that we even considered moving Khalil Mack around.

I'm not going to say something as dumb as it's 100% on the coaching staff but in terms of what is realistically make the most significant change this offseason IMO...it's a new coaching staff.

We have the tools here to attract a decent name/ pedigree etc. etc. No more Dennis Allens or JDRs.

How do you feel about our WR corps? Before the season people had us as potentially the best WR corps in the league.. now, I think we're hoping that one of Crabtree or Cooper shows #1 potential before the end of the season. And worst of all, it'll be very hard to get a #1 WR if neither steps up. We've invested too much in both to just cut bait or spend a ton of money on a WR.

Really doubt someone like Calvin Ridley falls to us in the draft - though I'd happily take him in the 10-15 range if by some miracle he did - but if someone like Sutton, Campbell, Kirk or Calloway was there in round 2.. I'd go for it. Not like Reggie has done much with any of our previous 2nd rounders except Super Mario, who can't cobble together a 16 game season.

In round 1, I'm thinking we need a DB. Melifonwu and Conley shouldnt get the benefit of the doubt as starters next year, so it could be either at CB or at safety. Minkah Fitzpatrick (CB/S), Derwin James (S), Denzel Ward (CB)... most mocks I see have us taking a DE named Clelin Ferrell, who baffling to me is considered a day 1 pick despite barely having the speed to take the edge in college, and would likely be a mediocre edge rusher in the pros.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 pm

FNQ wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:I think the talent is on this team is fine. I think the **** coaching staff has ruined or stalled the development of our players and in many ways we've ended up seeing some of them regress. I don't think this staff has been putting our players in the best position to succeed. It wasn't until Norton got canned that we even considered moving Khalil Mack around.

How do you feel about our WR corps? Before the season people had us as potentially the best WR corps in the league.. now, I think we're hoping that one of Crabtree or Cooper shows #1 potential before the end of the season. And worst of all, it'll be very hard to get a #1 WR if neither steps up. We've invested too much in both to just cut bait or spend a ton of money on a WR.

Really doubt someone like Calvin Ridley falls to us in the draft - though I'd happily take him in the 10-15 range if by some miracle he did - but if someone like Sutton, Campbell, Kirk or Calloway was there in round 2.. I'd go for it. Not like Reggie has done much with any of our previous 2nd rounders except Super Mario, who can't cobble together a 16 game season.

In round 1, I'm thinking we need a DB. Melifonwu and Conley shouldnt get the benefit of the doubt as starters next year, so it could be either at CB or at safety. Minkah Fitzpatrick (CB/S), Derwin James (S), Denzel Ward (CB)... most mocks I see have us taking a DE named Clelin Ferrell, who baffling to me is considered a day 1 pick despite barely having the speed to take the edge in college, and would likely be a mediocre edge rusher in the pros.

I’ve always seen Crab as a #2.
I’ve seen Amari as a #1 talent with the mental of a #2 or even worse.
I don’t like Seth at all unless it’s a GW pass.

That said, Cooper is still 23 with some time to grow. I’m comfortable with Crab overall. The only real chance I see for a realistic improvement this offseason is at Seth’s spot.

I hate drafting based on need but man do we need a corner. Complete agreement on Gareon and Obi not getting the benefit of the doubt. Amerson has regressed. Our inability to man up on the outside has led to a bunch of soft zones that get picked a part.

Minkah would be fantastic. Not as big on Derwin. We need a guy who can cover. It looks like Karl is going to be an in the box safety more than anything, so anybody we add needs to be able to cover.

Just my eye test and opinion.

P.S. Reggie has dropped the ball on 2nd Rounders. Jihad Ward has been nothing. I think he has to break from his ideas on MLBs/ILBs. It’s a huge hole and the MLBs can be the vocal leaders of your defense. This idea that we can just do it with 5th and 6th rounders isn’t working. I’m comfortable with Navorro there but hes pushing 30 with surgeries on his body. It’s important IMO to invest a higher pick there and have someone be mentored by him and possibly function as a tandem before Navorro retires.

I wanted Kendricks bad in 2015. I feel like his play in Minnesota has proven me right but who knows how he would have developed under this weak coaching staff.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#5 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Unbelievable game last night against Dallas.

Ironically, I'm not mad at the defense or the job Pagano did with Dallas.
We got screwed with paper Gate and we had another stop stymied by a fake punt.

Carr has to tuck that ball, get out of bounds and take 1st and goal.
I'm still not impressed with JDR and Todd Downing makes me hop off a building. Please Mark...eat the cost of paying Del Rio... we need a new coach!
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,811

Post#6 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:24 pm

I expected a regressions but not THIS much of a regression from last year...Ugh.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,168

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:28 pm

FNQ wrote:

I believe we're hitting a crossroad with our WR's at this point. I could be wrong but will Crabtree and Cooper be able to coexist long-term? Cooper appears to be the second option now, and I prefer that to change, but Crabtree has better chemistry with Carr.

The future is unknown, but as solid as our group is, by names, I doubt Crabtree or Cooper will be a tandem for years to come to Oakland/Las Vegas.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,168

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:30 pm

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:I expected a regressions but not THIS much of a regression from last year...Ugh.

I never expected a regression.
I felt strongly bout our team making the playoffs before the season and as long as Carr stayed healthy. This off-season will be interesting, but I trust the process, and our front office to fix the issues we have, and to remove the players that need to be out.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders