Raiders DC Paul Guenther: More 4-3, more blitzes

Moderator: HMFFL

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Raiders DC Paul Guenther: More 4-3, more blitzes 

Post#1 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 7, 2018 9:24 pm

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/1/11/16835046/what-addition-of-paul-guenther-should-do-for-the-raiders-defense

Remember that this is a disciple of Mike Zimmer, and the rumor is he left CIN because he felt held back by Marvin Lewis' aversion to blitzing. There are 2 reasons why both of these facts are significant:

1) ILB and DT depth. We drafted Eddie Vanderdoes last year, and Jelly Ellis is a FA this offseason. Outside of Latham.. that's our entire depth chart at DT currently. That makes it extremely likely that we draft a DT early this year. On the flip side, we have typically not invested much in ILB, especially as it comes to the draft. I would expect Navorro Bowman to be back in the silver & black next year.

2) Khalil Mack's sack dropoff. Mack has dropped from 15 sacks, to 11 sacks, to 10.5 sacks the past 3 years. This is quite possibly the best pass rusher in the league.. those numbers mean he's been doubled too much and we've been too predictable with how we use him. He and Bruce Irvin (should he be kept) will benefit tremendously from Guenther's addition, because of how he likes to overload one side and overwhelm a QB. Mario Edwards, Denico Autry (if brought back), and maybe James Cowser should benefit as well. If we bring Autry back, I wouldnt expect that we add anyone in terms of DE or SLB. WLB (Nick Morrow) might be a position we upgrade though
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,168

Re: Raiders DC Paul Guenther: More 4-3, more blitzes 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:32 pm

More blitzes is a huge positive that I side with.
I look forward to us focusing more attention on attacking the QB and adding any pressure possible.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,645

Re: Raiders DC Paul Guenther: More 4-3, more blitzes 

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:49 pm

It's weird.

Don't he and Zimm have huge reputations for NOT blitzing a lot?

It could make me happy knowing that he isn't just going to force the scheme on the team, rather, adapt his double a gap scheme to our team.

But it is weird if he has a reputation for not doing that a lot and he randomly would do that for us.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders