Week 4 - Raiders @ Bears - Oct. 4th

Moderator: HMFFL

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: Week 4 - Raiders @ Bears - Oct. 4th 

Post#21 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 2, 2015 7:56 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:Cutler and Jeffery were laughing about all the reports that have been coming out about if they would play or not and said that they really don't know with hamstring injuries (basically game time decision). And really why would they anyone for sure. This way the Raiders don't know for sure who to prepare for.

Cutler we knew wouldnt play, but Jeffery was actually in practice on a limited basis, which means so much more than when a QB is practicing on a limited basis. Still, glad they're both sitting. Chicago practically conceding this game to us, they must really want Goff.

And why not? Cal produced the best QB in the league already :rock:
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:06 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:You still never addressed the biggest reason not to do a trade for a guy who is a free agent the following year. We'd be getting 12 games at the most for sure, not to mention the fact that he is injured right now, in exchange for a building block player. You referenced if I would trade Walford for Jeffery, I don't know. We haven't even scratched the surface on Walford. He has the look of a guy that can be special. We all thought it after he was drafted. He needs some time due to missing alot of camp but giving up on a high draft pick for a rental could come back to bit you in the ass.

I did address that. He's not a rental. If the worst case scenario is him being franchised at 14m (of money that we'd have to spend anyways), oh well, we still have an elite WR corps. All Walford has to do to live up to Jeffery is make a Pro Bowl at the age of 23, which for Walford is this year. Or prove to be a Pro Bowl caliber TE, which even as optimistic as I am about him, seems doubtful. Citing Gabe is disingenuous - no different than if I asked if you'd trade Bergstrom (roster fodder) or Sio Moore (going rate, 6th round pick) for Jeffery. The difference is that its more likely that Walford ends up a Bergstrom or Sio Moore than a Gabe Jackson, by a longshot. Trading a pick with a <10% chance of being a Pro Bowler and <3% chance of being a consistent Pro Bowler.. for a Pro Bowler.. it's a no brainer. The only *legitimate* question in it: Can CHI get more? Maybe. Its really not that cut and dry.

Reggie isn't nickel and diming, he is being smart not to blow cap space on one guy when we can plug several hole at once. Last year he would have loved to have Randall Cobb or Suh but if they get hurt then we are screwed with 15 mil on the books. He picks his spot and if a guy is welling to come here and is a real difference maker then the check book opens i.e. Dan Willaims and Rodney Hudson.

We will again be in the top 5 in terms of capspace next year.. would you rather spend that on 3 guys you have to overpay to fill minor roles who *might* work out, or consolidate those 3 into one player who pretty much will? Quality over quantity, forever and always. With Carr, Cooper, Jeffery, and a very capable offensive line, we would have one of the best passing attacks in the league. Possibly elite. And being elite at something is the goal, not just being balanced across the board. Teams like Cinci, Baltimore, Dallas, Miami, and San Diego have been towing that line for years, and what's it gotten them? Playoff contention, followed by many early exits.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#23 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 9:26 pm

FNQ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:Cutler and Jeffery were laughing about all the reports that have been coming out about if they would play or not and said that they really don't know with hamstring injuries (basically game time decision). And really why would they anyone for sure. This way the Raiders don't know for sure who to prepare for.

Cutler we knew wouldnt play, but Jeffery was actually in practice on a limited basis, which means so much more than when a QB is practicing on a limited basis. Still, glad they're both sitting. Chicago practically conceding this game to us, they must really want Goff.

We didn't know if either would play or not. That is the point. The bears coaching staff and the players themselves were laughing about all the speculation and saying that, yes, they felt better but didn't know if they would be good enough to go and that anything saying they were playing or not wasn't coming from the team because they themselves didn't know. So no, we didn't KNOW that Cutler wouldn't play. In fact him and Jeffery are both still listed as Questionable on the team and NFL injury list. Ian Rapport said Alshon Jeffery is EXPECTED to miss this weekend's game with a hamstring issue.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#24 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:57 pm

FNQ wrote:I did address that. He's not a rental. If the worst case scenario is him being franchised at 14m (of money that we'd have to spend anyways), oh well, we still have an elite WR corps. All Walford has to do to live up to Jeffery is make a Pro Bowl at the age of 23, which for Walford is this year. Or prove to be a Pro Bowl caliber TE, which even as optimistic as I am about him, seems doubtful. Citing Gabe is disingenuous - no different than if I asked if you'd trade Bergstrom (roster fodder) or Sio Moore (going rate, 6th round pick) for Jeffery. The difference is that its more likely that Walford ends up a Bergstrom or Sio Moore than a Gabe Jackson, by a longshot. Trading a pick with a <10% chance of being a Pro Bowler and <3% chance of being a consistent Pro Bowler.. for a Pro Bowler.. it's a no brainer. The only *legitimate* question in it: Can CHI get more? Maybe. Its really not that cut and dry.

You addressed it now, not in the previous post but still my point is the same. It would end up being more than a 3rd rd pick and Reggie builds thru the draft. It doesn't work for our team because we put more value on developing our young highly drafted players.

FNQ wrote:We will again be in the top 5 in terms of capspace next year.. would you rather spend that on 3 guys you have to overpay to fill minor roles who *might* work out, or consolidate those 3 into one player who pretty much will? Quality over quantity, forever and always. With Carr, Cooper, Jeffery, and a very capable offensive line, we would have one of the best passing attacks in the league. Possibly elite. And being elite at something is the goal, not just being balanced across the board. Teams like Cinci, Baltimore, Dallas, Miami, and San Diego have been towing that line for years, and what's it gotten them? Playoff contention, followed by many early exits.

The difference in our arguments is I think guys like Malcom Smith, Nate Allen, Lee Smith, Rodney Hudson, Dan Williams, Mike Crabtree are filling major roles not minor roles. You call it nickel and dime stuff and I see smart contracts offered by Reggie that have filled big positions of need. You note our position having cap space. I see it as a good thing even if we have to pay a little back to the NFLPA after next year (Educate yourself on what having cap space means before you list it as a negative - http://www.bucsnation.com/2015/3/13/8208069/nfl-salary-cap-floor-explained-its-basically-irrelevant).

It puts us in great position to sign our young guys to nice extensions (Carr, Mack, Carrie, Murray, Jackson, Jelly, King, Autry and Roberts). All these guys are on track to be in the running for raises in the next 1 or 2 yrs or so. It also gives us room resign some key guys whether they were on prove it deals (Aldon Smith and Crabtree) or they are just still performing at a good level and we wanna keep them around (Penn and MAYBE Tuck and CWood). And we'll still have room add a few pieces to the core every year on good contracts.

Just think about what kind of shape we'd be in if we extend most of those guys above, resign Penn, A Smith and Crabtree and still bring in 3 or 4 guys in FA the quality of M. Smith, Williams, Hudson, and Nate Allen. We hit on 3 to 4 draft picks as we have the last 3 drafts. VERY GOOD shape. Reggie knows what he is doing. And people still doubt.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 2, 2015 11:55 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

We didn't know if either would play or not. That is the point. The bears coaching staff and the players themselves were laughing about all the speculation and saying that, yes, they felt better but didn't know if they would be good enough to go and that anything saying they were playing or not wasn't coming from the team because they themselves didn't know. So no, we didn't KNOW that Cutler wouldn't play. In fact him and Jeffery are both still listed as Questionable on the team and NFL injury list. Ian Rapport said Alshon Jeffery is EXPECTED to miss this weekend's game with a hamstring issue.

Eh, its been making its rounds around the fantasy community that Cutler would definitely miss 2 weeks after his injury, and that Jeffery was working on a hamstring issue that stemmed from his original calf issue, and that he truly was up in the air. A lot of pundits were assuming he played this week up until oday,a ctually.

And those same pundits were actually laughing at the Bears (rotoworld has made it extremely personal for some reason) about how they tend to use misdirection on injuries that we already know about. Cutler getting in a limited practice.. he threw some warmup passes. He was going to be out regardless based on the diagnosis of a deep tissue hamstring pull. Hell, 2 weeks is optimistic for that, but they pump these guys so full of painkillers that sure, yeah, 2 weeks, whatever.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by FNQ » Sat Oct 3, 2015 12:16 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:The difference in our arguments is I think guys like Malcom Smith, Nate Allen, Lee Smith, Rodney Hudson, Dan Williams, Mike Crabtree are filling major roles not minor roles. You call it nickel and dime stuff and I see smart contracts offered by Reggie that have filled big positions of need. You note our position having cap space. I see it as a good thing even if we have to pay a little back to the NFLPA after next year (Educate yourself on what having cap space means before you list it as a negative - http://www.bucsnation.com/2015/3/13/8208069/nfl-salary-cap-floor-explained-its-basically-irrelevant).

The level of misunderstanding here is just.. amazing.
Malcolm Smith, Hudson, Williams, and Crabtree are filling roles. I'd argue that Hudson and Williams are doing it at above average level, and that Crabtree and Malcolm are about average.. Allen is injured, and the only reason he wasn't IR'd immediately like Ross was was simply to save money, and Lee Smith is doing OK as a blocker. Those guys you listed: 31.5m in salary for 6 players, and that's not including FA busts like Lofton, TRich, and Ponder. But the sad thing is - in free agency, getting that production for 45m in 7 players is actually pretty good. It pales in comparison to making a trade for an elite receiver and giving him 1/3 of that money, but for free agency its actually a huge +.

I think one of us needs education: opportunity cost. We will be spending money on nothing, or spending money on something. And if there's a 14m gap between us and the floor, and franchising Jeffery costs 14m with no future costs, what sounds better to you? This is simple logic, not bending over backwards to make everything the Raiders do seem good. It is literally wasting cap and literally wasting money. I guess as fans its irrelevant, unless you want your team to spend and get better players.

It puts us in great position to sign our young guys to nice extensions (Carr, Mack, Carrie, Murray, Jackson, Jelly, King, Autry and Roberts). All these guys are on track to be in the running for raises in the next 1 or 2 yrs or so. It also gives us room resign some key guys whether they were on prove it deals (Aldon Smith and Crabtree) or they are just still performing at a good level and we wanna keep them around (Penn and MAYBE Tuck and CWood). And we'll still have room add a few pieces to the core every year on good contracts.

Extensions are still 1 year away for Murray/Autry, 2 years away for Mack/Carr/Carrie/Jackson/Jelly.. and really, Marquette King and Roberts? What are they going to cost us exactly? Aldon Smith and Crabtree are the *lone* concerns, as Penn will find a cold market - ask one of the best elderly OL in the league, Evan Mathis - and Woodson will not play next season. Most teams would take advantage of this fiscal opportunity, especially if the league was going to take the money directly from their pockets anyways.

Just think about what kind of shape we'd be in if we extend most of those guys above, resign Penn, A Smith and Crabtree and still bring in 3 or 4 guys in FA the quality of M. Smith, Williams, Hudson, and Nate Allen. We hit on 3 to 4 draft picks as we have the last 3 drafts. VERY GOOD shape. Reggie knows what he is doing. And people still doubt.

This is based on the the premise that Reggie refuses to trade draft picks for players. And we know that's not true, Matt Flynn/Matt Schaub, so I'd hold off on accusing anyone doubting *your* opinion as someone doubting Reggie. He has turned us around, slowly. And in building through the draft, you manage your cap down to a very low level, and not spending it in a year you lose the money anyways is the same as pissing away any other asset. We will be around the 85m in cap available area before any resigns occur. Since most top FAs dont change teams because of the franchise tag, is our goal to just sign overpriced stopgap players again and again? I would hope Reggie has enough foresight to know that a pro bowl WR in his prime is a bargain for a pick that may or may not work out, just to preserve fiscal solvency that you argue he won't use! It's baffling, it makes no sense at all to act like we're good enough to pass on a gift, even a hypothetical one like Jeffery for a 3rd
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#27 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Oct 3, 2015 12:26 am

FNQ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Eh, its been making its rounds around the fantasy community that Cutler would definitely miss 2 weeks after his injury, and that Jeffery was working on a hamstring issue that stemmed from his original calf issue, and that he truly was up in the air. A lot of pundits were assuming he played this week up until oday,a ctually.

And those same pundits were actually laughing at the Bears (rotoworld has made it extremely personal for some reason) about how they tend to use misdirection on injuries that we already know about. Cutler getting in a limited practice.. he threw some warmup passes. He was going to be out regardless based on the diagnosis of a deep tissue hamstring pull. Hell, 2 weeks is optimistic for that, but they pump these guys so full of painkillers that sure, yeah, 2 weeks, whatever.

We didn't know if either would play. That is the point. If your making a different point, your wrong and have fallen for the Bears "misdirection" or whatever, however you wanna look at it. Doesn't matter what the injuries were reported as or what you think you know about their treatment. It has no bearing on the fact that no one in the media or on this site knew whether they would play or not until officially announced.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by FNQ » Sat Oct 3, 2015 12:28 am

lol why stop there? We wont know officially until the 8:30 Sunday morning... becuz miracles.

BTW, it's actually a fineable offense to misrepresent what injuries are, as a team. It's malpractice to misrepresent what injuries are, as a doctor. So if you believe teams can make up injuries or if doctors are in on it as a way of misleading NFL teams, Vegas, and the insane amount of money being thrown around in both, its tinfoil hat removal time. A deep tissue hamstring pull means Jay Cutler was out at least 2 weeks, as of 12 days ago. Unless, as I previously mentioned, miracles.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#29 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Oct 3, 2015 12:52 am

Do you think any team has ever misrepresented an injury, regardless of the whether they could be fined or not? Yes or No...
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#30 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Oct 3, 2015 2:20 am

FNQ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:The difference in our arguments is I think guys like Malcom Smith, Nate Allen, Lee Smith, Rodney Hudson, Dan Williams, Mike Crabtree are filling major roles not minor roles. You call it nickel and dime stuff and I see smart contracts offered by Reggie that have filled big positions of need. You note our position having cap space. I see it as a good thing even if we have to pay a little back to the NFLPA after next year (Educate yourself on what having cap space means before you list it as a negative - http://www.bucsnation.com/2015/3/13/8208069/nfl-salary-cap-floor-explained-its-basically-irrelevant).

The level of misunderstanding here is just.. amazing.
Malcolm Smith, Hudson, Williams, and Crabtree are filling roles. I'd argue that Hudson and Williams are doing it at above average level, and that Crabtree and Malcolm are about average.. Allen is injured, and the only reason he wasn't IR'd immediately like Ross was was simply to save money, and Lee Smith is doing OK as a blocker. Those guys you listed: 31.5m in salary for 6 players, and that's not including FA busts like Lofton, TRich, and Ponder. But the sad thing is - in free agency, getting that production for 45m in 7 players is actually pretty good. It pales in comparison to making a trade for an elite receiver and giving him 1/3 of that money, but for free agency its actually a huge +.

I think one of us needs education: opportunity cost. We will be spending money on nothing, or spending money on something. And if there's a 14m gap between us and the floor, and franchising Jeffery costs 14m with no future costs, what sounds better to you? This is simple logic, not bending over backwards to make everything the Raiders do seem good. It is literally wasting cap and literally wasting money. I guess as fans its irrelevant, unless you want your team to spend and get better players.

Extensions are still 1 year away for Murray/Autry, 2 years away for Mack/Carr/Carrie/Jackson/Jelly.. and really, Marquette King and Roberts? What are they going to cost us exactly? Aldon Smith and Crabtree are the *lone* concerns, as Penn will find a cold market - ask one of the best elderly OL in the league, Evan Mathis - and Woodson will not play next season. Most teams would take advantage of this fiscal opportunity, especially if the league was going to take the money directly from their pockets anyways.

This is based on the the premise that Reggie refuses to trade draft picks for players. And we know that's not true, Matt Flynn/Matt Schaub, so I'd hold off on accusing anyone doubting *your* opinion as someone doubting Reggie. He has turned us around, slowly. And in building through the draft, you manage your cap down to a very low level, and not spending it in a year you lose the money anyways is the same as pissing away any other asset. We will be around the 85m in cap available area before any resigns occur. Since most top FAs dont change teams because of the franchise tag, is our goal to just sign overpriced stopgap players again and again? I would hope Reggie has enough foresight to know that a pro bowl WR in his prime is a bargain for a pick that may or may not work out, just to preserve fiscal solvency that you argue he won't use! It's baffling, it makes no sense at all to act like we're good enough to pass on a gift, even a hypothetical one like Jeffery for a 3rd

Of course, if we could foresee that we will have that amount of money left and we will have to give up, its a great move to pick up Jeffery. The problem is we can't foresee that. Your argument saying all of the extensions are years away implies that you think they will have no bearing on the cash we spend this year and next year. We could definitely try to extend some of those guys that out-perform their deals, especially if we need to spend some money. Would be a good use of some of the money in fact. But your argument for Jeffery not being a rental is us using the franchise tag on him. Whatever, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme because he isn't going anywhere and if he did it would be for more than the 3rd rd pick you keep stating and Reggie isn't doing it, which is the correct move IMO.

BTW Reggie traded draft picks for players because he HAD to. He was looking at starting the season with Pyror and the rookie Tyler Wilson as the other guys at the most important position on the team. Had to make something happen. He used a 5th to get Flynn and if you ask him or anyone with eyes now they will tell you it was a mistake. He ended up finding a pretty good QB in rookie undrafted Matt McGloin after the draft and trade. Then not being secure that Mcgloin or Pryor could hold down the spot he traded for a 6th rd pick for Schaub but also drafted Carr and he won the job. Do you think his faith in drafting his guy and developing the talent was reinforced? I do. Do you think he wishes he had those 2 picks back if you take into account the gems he has found late in the draft? I do.

So considering Reggie training and mentor-ship with Ted Thompson and his lessons with dipping into the pool of trading away your picks for players, he would be even more convinced that that isn't the way to build a team. Plus the fact that getting Jeffery would take significant draft value and not just a 5th or 6th or even a single 3rd.

I love that we have both written small essays on hypothetical situations. Just funny when I look back at them.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,803

Post#31 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Oct 4, 2015 4:45 pm

YYYYAAASSSS! This game is on my local CBS cable channel(Rogers basic cable analog) No need to stream it! Woohoo!

We got this!! GO RAIDERS GO!!! :P! :)! :D!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#32 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:08 pm

FNQ wrote:lol why stop there? We wont know officially until the 8:30 Sunday morning... becuz miracles.

BTW, it's actually a fineable offense to misrepresent what injuries are, as a team. It's malpractice to misrepresent what injuries are, as a doctor. So if you believe teams can make up injuries or if doctors are in on it as a way of misleading NFL teams, Vegas, and the insane amount of money being thrown around in both, its tinfoil hat removal time. A deep tissue hamstring pull means Jay Cutler was out at least 2 weeks, as of 12 days ago. Unless, as I previously mentioned, miracles.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#33 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:09 pm

Cutler starts the game.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:11 pm

Dang it! 7-0 Bears! Cmon D#!!! Step it up!!!
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#35 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:13 pm

this defense man.

just wow.
no pass rush.
no coverage.

very unimaginative scheme imo.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#36 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:16 pm

with a defense this trash, your 3rd rounder better not go to no Alshon Jefferey.

FOH
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:19 pm

Oh jeez, 3 & out on our 1st offensive drive >><< We can do this! LET'S GO RAIDERS!!! :P! :)! :D!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#38 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:24 pm

I said Curtis Lofton shouldn't be retained next year.

He shouldn't be retained through the year.
Give someone else a chance.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#39 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:26 pm

DEFENSIVE STOP!

YES!
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:28 pm

Finally a 3 & out! Good job D#! Cmon offence, LET'S DO THIS! :P! :)! :D!

Return to Las Vegas Raiders