Thoughts on the final 53 and depth chart

Moderator: HMFFL

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,655

Re: Thoughts on the final 53 and depth chart 

Post#41 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 am

Reggie is from a culture in GB that stayed away from picking up free agents altogether.

Draft.
Develop.
Keep Important players.
Get compensatory picks for the expendable players you don't want to re-sign.

In Ted Thompson's tenure in GB, the only big FA "splashes" they've made are C. Wood and Julius Peppers.
He's only doing FA because the roster is dog ****. I'd imagine that if….let's just say he were given another 5 years…we'd see less and less summers like the summer we just had.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,103

Post#42 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:55 am

Reggie.White.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#43 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:57 am

Neddy wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Part of GMing is bringing in good free agents. We've cycled through a lot of mostly mediocre free agents in recent years - but for the record I am not holding that against Reggie right now. Ultimately I think we will need to have a better team, a better atmosphere, a better stadium in order to bring in the best FAs.

I think we just answered your own question.

That's not a question Neddy, it's a comment! :)

"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#44 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Reggie.White.

HAHAHAHA! Reggie White was with the Packers in the mid 90's and Thompson didn't sign on with them til like 2004 or 2005. I didn't even have to look that up. Shut it down, Twink!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#45 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Even if you take Ron Wolf's 90s Packer's teams with Reggie White on the team.

QB Favre (traded first round pick to Falcons)
RB Bennet (4th round pick)
RB Levens (5th round pick)
WR Freeman (3rd round pick)
WR Brooks (3rd round pick)
TE Chmura (6th round pick)
LT Michaels (1st round pick)
LG Taylor (1st round pick)
C Winters (acuired via free agency)
RG Timmerman (7th round pick)
LT Dotson (3rd round pick)

DE White (FA)
DT Brown (signed rookie season after cut by Vikings)
DT Dotson (FA)
DE Jones (FA)
LLB Simmons (1st round pick)
MLB Koonce (signed from Ohio Glory of the WLF)
RLB Williams (3rd round pick)
LCB Newsome (1st round pick)
RCB Evans (6th round pick)
SS Butler (2nd round pick)
FS Robinson (FA)
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#46 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:28 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Reggie.White.

HAHAHAHA! Reggie White was with the Packers in the mid 90's and Thompson didn't sign on with them til like 2004 or 2005. I didn't even have to look that up. Shut it down, Twink!

Well who cares about Thompson? I mention Reggie White because the Packers have oft-stated that the single most important point in turning around their organization was luring Reggie White as a free agent. The Packers missed the playoffs ten years in a row before Reggie signed, and once he signed they went to the playoffs six years in a row.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#47 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:57 pm

No.

You mentioned Reggie(period)White(period) to try to save face from getting owned by Quake in the last comment, thinking you thought of a FA that Thompson brought on that mattered that he didn't mentioned.

But once again you were wrong and had to back peddle. Just say you're wrong, own it and let it go.

No free passes!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#48 » by FNQ » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Packers are irrelevant.. They had 2 hits when it mattered most: trading a late 1st for a franchise QB, and then using a late 1st for a franchise QB. It takes more to win a ring, but its by far the hardest part, and having back to back HoF QBs makes it easy to win, just ask SF.

There are many other teans who have built through the draft and fall short too. Ultimately, the W/L should matter at some point. I've been a staunch supporter of Reggie but under the premise that the 2016 season should have us winning our division. I still think thats very realistic, however a 6 or under win season would mean we need to improve faster, and Reggie doesnt seem to have that in his toolbox. Regardless of how our youth looks, Reggie's under the gun this year. This year should be legitimizing our franchise. Anything less and I think his job security should be tenuous at best

Keep in mind: next year is his last contract year, and its incredibly rare to see a lame duck GM. Meaning either we extend him, or we fire him
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#49 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:30 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:No.

You mentioned Reggie(period)White(period) to try to save face from getting owned by Quake in the last comment, thinking you thought of a FA that Thompson brought on that mattered that he didn't mentioned.

But once again you were wrong and had to back peddle. Just say you're wrong, own it and let it go.

No free passes!

scrubbed
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#50 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:12 am

Nah. You were just slightly off. I spoke specifically of the Thompson regime specifically for that reason.

FNQ. Finding a good QB is difficult. There's like 10 in the entire league that I think have the skill AND mentality I like in a QB…and it's not like all of them are taken at the top of the draft. You never know. You' could be one one 3rd round draft pick (Russell Wilson) from validating all the other areas in which you've strengthened your football team through the draft.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#51 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:27 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Reggie is from a culture in GB that stayed away from picking up free agents altogether.

Draft.
Develop.
Keep Important players.
Get compensatory picks for the expendable players you don't want to re-sign.

scrubbed
Reggie comes from a franchise that never has to hit on a high, first round pick. Packers are so good so for so long, they know many of their good players will be poached. So they let them go, and readily find replacements via non-premium draft picks. I can see why Reggie was such a good fit there. He's a scout at heart. He found contributors even in late rounds for Green Bay, and has done the same for Oakland. I admire that about him - but I don't think it's enough for the Raiders, who need a lot of help, whether it's finding dominant top-five players, gems in the second and third rounds, hidden value in the late rounds, or stud FA's. I hope Mack and Cooper are dominant players - I thought Mack was. And I still hope he is. But what a disappointing sophmore debut. And really as I have said many times, Reggie's forte has been finding contributors in the late rounds, but that's not enough to field a good team.

Quake, how you've described Green Bay implies they don't need FAs. But the Packers themselves will tell you it is not drafted players that brought them to greatness; drafted players helped sustain the greatness that was achieved through free agency and trade.

Quake Griffin wrote:In Ted Thompson's tenure in GB, the only big FA "splashes" they've made are C. Wood and Julius Peppers.
He's only doing FA because the roster is dog ****. I'd imagine that if….let's just say he were given another 5 years…we'd see less and less summers like the summer we just had.

C-Wood - another great FA pickup for Green Bay. It was sad to lose him, but he ended in a better place because of the change. But I don't give a crap about Ted Thompson. I couldn't tell you when he started, when he left, if he left, and I don't care about any of that, it's irrellevant to me. With or Without Ted Thompson, Packers are a good team that just needs to find and plug in contributors, and Reggie is good at that.

scrubbed
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#52 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:03 am

scrubbed
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:28 pm

I do not want to mod actual conversations here. Either it stays about football or football takes, or it's gone. No more baiting. If you disagree with someone's take, say so. Will let a lot fly here. But saying something with no football merit won't be allowed
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Nah. You were just slightly off. I spoke specifically of the Thompson regime specifically for that reason.

FNQ. Finding a good QB is difficult. There's like 10 in the entire league that I think have the skill AND mentality I like in a QB…and it's not like all of them are taken at the top of the draft. You never know. You' could be one one 3rd round draft pick (Russell Wilson) from validating all the other areas in which you've strengthened your football team through the draft.

"Coincidentally" Quake, I'd say about 10 GMs in the league have year to year job security.. Basically if you bring in a great QB, your job is safe, and if you don't, your job isn't. And Carr isn't on that great list yet, thus Reggie's job is in danger. Should it be like that? Shrug. But it's definitely the way the league is going..
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Reggie comes from a franchise that never has to hit on a high, first round pick. Packers are so good so for so long, they know many of their good players will be poached. So they let them go, and readily find replacements via non-premium draft picks. I can see why Reggie was such a good fit there. He's a scout at heart. He found contributors even in late rounds for Green Bay, and has done the same for Oakland. I admire that about him - but I don't think it's enough for the Raiders, who need a lot of help, whether it's finding dominant top-five players, gems in the second and third rounds, hidden value in the late rounds, or stud FA's. I hope Mack and Cooper are dominant players - I thought Mack was. And I still hope he is. But what a disappointing sophmore debut. And really as I have said many times, Reggie's forte has been finding contributors in the late rounds, but that's not enough to field a good team.

You argued against this all year last year.. you had these expectations for Reggie that far exceed any other GM because our team was in shambles because of Al and Hue. I've been saying for a while that if Reggie leaves after this year, no big deal, because he sets the next guy up with a foundation. If we continue on our trend this year, that's exactly what will happen.

I'm also not willing to dismiss Mack's monster potential because he had just an average game to start the season. He could easily come in on Sunday and dominate the Ravens average-above average Ts.. ditto Amari with Smith/Webb. Neither had a good 1st game, but both are young and we were thoroughly outcoached. New week starts in 2 days.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#56 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Quake, how you've described Green Bay implies they don't need FAs. But the Packers themselves will tell you it is not drafted players that brought them to greatness; drafted players helped sustain the greatness that was achieved through free agency and trade.

Something gets lost in the sauce when you use the term "need." Every team "needs" FAs. I don't think there's any roster that doesn't have them. That misses the point. The Packers consistently pump out rosters made up of mostly home grown players. You build through the draft and instill a philosophy so that you can be more selective in free agency in picking guys that will mesh with your philosophy. No. You can't just be a Green Bay Packer because you're a talented football player.

Let's revisit a previous post.
The 1996 Ron Wolf Packers

QB Favre (traded first round pick to Falcons)
RB Bennet (4th round pick)
RB Levens (5th round pick)
WR Freeman (3rd round pick)
WR Brooks (3rd round pick)
TE Chmura (6th round pick)
LT Michaels (1st round pick)
LG Taylor (1st round pick)
C Winters (acuired via free agency)
RG Timmerman (7th round pick)
LT Dotson (3rd round pick)

DE White (FA)
DT Brown (signed rookie season after cut by Vikings)
DT Dotson (FA)
DE Jones (FA)
LLB Simmons (1st round pick)
MLB Koonce (signed from Ohio Glory of the WLF)
RLB Williams (3rd round pick)
LCB Newsome (1st round pick)
RCB Evans (6th round pick)
SS Butler (2nd round pick)
FS Robinson (FA)

Looks like this team was built through the draft.

Compare that to this:
Dan Williams, Malcolm Smith, Benson, Nate Allen, Charles Woodson, J'Marcus Webb, Austin Howard, Rodney Hudson, Michael Crabtree, Donald Penn, Lofton, Ray Ray.

It's not even close and it's obvious that even though the 90s Packer teams did use FA….they built that team mostly through the draft.

Ninja Edit:
and no. Two 9-7 seasons after signing Reggie White is not greatness.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:50 pm

Here's something interesting: Bernard Pollard (a legitimate in-the-box SS), worked out for us today.

I think that would be a great addition. He's better than Asante, I know that. I know that he didn't sign anywhere because of previous injury (Achilles') and no one would give him gtd money because of it. I think he and Woodson would complement each other perfectly in the secondary.. and then could go to dinner at 4:30pm and watch NCIS together.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#58 » by Neddy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:53 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
Neddy wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Part of GMing is bringing in good free agents. We've cycled through a lot of mostly mediocre free agents in recent years - but for the record I am not holding that against Reggie right now. Ultimately I think we will need to have a better team, a better atmosphere, a better stadium in order to bring in the best FAs.

I think we just answered your own question.

That's not a question Neddy, it's a comment! :)

in that case your statement was rhetorical.

we don't have a contender, our atmosphere is unproven with new coaching staff, and we sure don't have even a half ass decent stadium. despite that we still signed Hudson, Allen, Crabtree, M Smith, etc and those were probably the very best we could have done as we have none of the factors that can attract FAs.
ehhhhh f it.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#59 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:42 am

Tevin McDonald is officially signed to the active roster today. So our safety depth is Asante, Lambert, Mays, McDonald. CWood is limited. With how he normally shys away from making big hits, I think putting him out there with a bum shoulder will hurt his tackling. JDR is risking giving up a big play on a missed tackle by letting CWood play one week after a separated shoulder. Tough decision between his experience vs the potential liability in physicality if he plays. Let's see how this plays out.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by FNQ » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Oakland Raiders claim DB David Amerson from Redskins

He's not good at all, complete project, but physical tools are there

Return to Las Vegas Raiders