Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Re: Thoughts on the final 53 and depth chart 

Post#101 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:16 am

Nate Allen back practicing…could be back for the Vikings

Ball's injury not that serious.
might miss a game or 2
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#102 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Bill Williamson said exactly the same thing I did about the Raiders core: Carr, Mack, Cooper, and Gabe Jackson.

BTW what's the assessment on our new center? Seems like he's been pretty good but not great, but obviously I am not spending all my time watching the center. It's generally a good thing when you don't hear an offensive lineman's name called.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#103 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Haha That is obviously part of our young core. You're not inventing the wheel here. But not including Hudson, D. Williams, M. Smith and Carrie is kinda short sited, dare I say, disrespectful. All are young, playing at a high level, vital to our success and signed for multiple years. That is what I would consider the criteria for core status.

Hudson is only 25 but is a top five center in the league this year and if he didn't have to play next to a inept RG that is half brain dead at times he'd get even more shine. Take for example the only sack he has given up all year.

It was vs the Bengals in week 1 and the monster that is Geno Atkins.
http://gfycat.com/MisguidedGlossyJenny

If you watch the play, Hudson and Webb (RG) both for the first split second after the snap look to the defender on their outside shoulder and not to Geno. So why is this sack on Webb more than Hudson IMO? Because Peko (#94) is lined up almost directly over Hudson, therefore making it almost impossible for Hudson not engage him a little. That leaves Webb with Geno at least for the start of the play. If Webb isn't looking into outer space and letting Geno get a free release to the middle, Hudson's reaction to Peko and then to Atkins would have been enough to help double Atkins with Webb and stopped the inside pressure.

Just one play from a bad game but if you take this sack away from Hudson and give it to Webb then Hudson is a top 3 player at his
position.

What other player on our team can we say are top 3 at their position without argument or even top 5. Mack and that is it.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#104 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Hudson looks like he's getting stronger every week to me.

This week will be a really good test for him.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#105 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:17 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:Haha That is obviously part of our young core. You're not inventing the wheel here. But not including Hudson, D. Williams, M. Smith and Carrie is kinda short sited, dare I say, disrespectful. All are young, playing at a high level, vital to our success and signed for multiple years. That is what I would consider the criteria for core status.

The article was about "contributions from interior offensive linemen" so it would be odd if Rodney Hudson was excluded from what was called the Raiders' "foundational players" if they thought Hudson was an elite player at his position or a cornerstone piece for the franchise.

I don't have a strong judgement on Hudson one way or the other - like I said, I haven't watched him closely and my impression has been he's good, not great - which is why I asked for people's judgement. Gabe Jackson on the other hand I have thought is a core part of the team since last season. I love me some Carrie - I said early last season he was better than DJ Hayden. Is he a cornerstone piece, a shutdown corner? No. Williams and Smith have been very nice FA pickups this season - I excluded them from the "core" because I needed to see their Raiders game tape before giving them any credit or blame. But of course Williams and Smith have not had the kind of impact that Mack, Carr, Cooper, and Gabe Jackson have had. You want a foundational NT? That was Vince Wilfork, in his day. In this League you need a handful of stars, particularly at key positions. I agree completely with the writers that Mack, Carr, Cooper, and Gabe Jackson are our stars. Hopefully we get more star, foundational players - and if they include some other guys who are already on the roster, all the better.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#106 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:47 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:Haha That is obviously part of our young core. You're not inventing the wheel here. But not including Hudson, D. Williams, M. Smith and Carrie is kinda short sited, dare I say, disrespectful. All are young, playing at a high level, vital to our success and signed for multiple years. That is what I would consider the criteria for core status.

Twinkie defense wrote:The article was about "contributions from interior offensive linemen" so it would be odd if Rodney Hudson was excluded from what was called the Raiders' "foundational players" if they thought Hudson was an elite player at his position or a cornerstone piece for the franchise.

That is part of the problem in my view tho. He is a an elite player at his position and he is always overlooked for some reason. Hudson doesn't get the respect or recognition that he deserves as an elite C in the game especially at his age. He has been a top 5 center the past two years but the pro-bowl nod always goes to the Pouncey Bros and\or Nick Mangold in the AFC by default and that is really all there is for linemen besides all pro. We need to be the ones in front shouting for him to get recognized.

Twinkie defense wrote:I don't have a strong judgement on Hudson one way or the other - like I said, I haven't watched him closely and my impression has been he's good, not great - which is why I asked for people's judgement. Gabe Jackson on the other hand I have thought is a core part of the team since last season. I love me some Carrie - I said early last season he was better than DJ Hayden. Is he a cornerstone piece, a shutdown corner? No. Williams and Smith have been very nice FA pickups this season - I excluded them from the "core" because I needed to see their Raiders game tape before giving them any credit or blame. But of course Williams and Smith have not had the kind of impact that Mack, Carr, Cooper, and Gabe Jackson have had. You want a foundational NT? That was Vince Wilfork, in his day. In this League you need a handful of stars, particularly at key positions. I agree completely with the writers that Mack, Carr, Cooper, and Gabe Jackson are our stars. Hopefully we get more star, foundational players - and if they include some other guys who are already on the roster, all the better.

I think that being a star player and a core player are different things. Stars are the flashy guys that put up the numbers and get the national recognition. I believe a core player is someone that has put down roots with the team, is playing at a high level, vital to our success and a leader. If you wanna say young core obviously you add youth. I don't believe all core players are stars but in almost every case a star is a core player. Exceptions would be guys on one year deals or those whose recognition hasn't been earn on the NFL playing field (ex.Manizel).

Maybe it's premature for us to use the core player title for Malcom Smith but I believe he is on his way there. The same for Dan Williams I guess, tho he checks all the boxes to me and is ranked as a top 10 DT/NT in the league. When Carrie is healthy and playing his standard role as RCB, I think he is there or almost there as well. My opinion of Hudson is there is no question that he is a core player. Not to mention a man named...CHARLES WOODSON.

So I definitely agree we need more stars but I think our core is bigger than you or the writer thinks at this point.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#107 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Nov 1, 2015 7:26 pm

We are finally super healthy. Only person that has to miss the game is our practice squad RB Neiron Ball. It will be interesting to see who is inactive for us.

EDIT - Should have been LB Neiron Ball haha
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#108 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:06 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BairCSN/status/664531817194622976[/tweet]

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#109 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:15 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BWilliamsonNFL/status/664565004276928513[/tweet]

Makes me wonder if Barnes is at LG and Bergstrom is back on the bench, where he is most effective.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BairCSN/status/664564626323980288[/tweet]
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#110 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:19 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jimmy_Durkin/status/664898431958147072[/tweet]

Per Levi Damien - Murray back practicing! Not a clear sign he will play as concussion symptoms can creep back up later and he will be checked everyday from here to gameday but a good sign.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#111 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:46 am

Allen was finally activated today. Bad news is that we waived Thigpen. Not in that we lose a great player but it may mean Carrie returning punts again.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#112 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:22 am

Ray Ray cut.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#113 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:58 am

feels good man…that guy was terrible.

hopefully that means Neiron Ball is back healthy.
I want him getting reps and developing for next year….oh and he gives us a better shot at winning games for the right now.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#114 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:52 am

We signed another kick returner...let's see if this one can make it to the field. WR Jeremy Ross has been around for a few years with the Packers Lions and Ravens.

We also signed LB John Lotulelei to the practice squad. He was a former undrafted free agent out of UNLV originally signed by the Seattle Seahawks in 2013. He is Carolina Panters DT Star Lotulelei cousin.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#115 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Insurance for Taiwan Jones' ankle.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#116 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Looks like it's Bergstrom at center again. Not as worried as I was 2 weeks ago but still not ideal. I want Hudson to get fully healthy. He is so important that we can't afford him having any more setbacks or escalations or the ankle injury.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#117 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 11:50 pm

The Raiders worked out previous 7th round pick Stevie Brown today along with linebacker Emmanuel Acho and safety Chris Clemons. As all of these players are vets with more then 2 yrs of NFL service under their belt they aren't going to the practice squad.

The question is who is the odd man out if any of these guys are signed?
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#118 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 4, 2015 12:25 am

Acho is a special teams ace. Maybe Alexander is on the way out? I bet Gabe Holmes is one going back to the PS. Maybe Dex McDonald too
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#119 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Dec 4, 2015 10:02 pm

I wouldn't call him an ace on special teams at all. More of a reserve MLB with 4 tackles on special teams in the last 2 yrs. I think they are looking for someone that can provide more production in the middle with Lofton and Heeney's struggles and shortcomings. Now whether he is that guy, I doubt it but I don't think he was worked out for his special teams play.

Yeah, Gabe is the most obvious one with the depth we have at this position. I can't wait til next year when Rivera is no longer in his way. I like Mr. Holmes and think he is more in line with the dual threat TE we should be moving to like Walford. I think with him Smith and Walford we can run some 3 TE sets and rely on the blocking on the outside and still surprise some folks throwing out of those sets. Just something I think we can add to the playbook.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#120 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 4, 2015 10:58 pm

I was thinking of Sam Acho, he's graded out as a top special teamer a couple years in a row.

Rivera hasn't looked bad this year. He's certainly limited in what he can do and in no way anything special, but Gabe has to show out if he wants that roster spot. Lee Smith and Walford sure aren't going anywhere.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders