2017 Draft - Rd 1, Gareon Conley, CB

Moderator: HMFFL

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Who is the pick tonight?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: 2017 offseason 

Post#2 » by FNQ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Who is the pick tonight?

Jarrad Davis is my best guess. I could see us going Caleb Brantley too but he seems more like a rd 2 guy.

I expect our pick to be either an ILB or a S, unless someone mouth-watering drops to us
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2017 Draft - Rd 1, Gareon Conley, CB 

Post#3 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Who is the pick tonight?

So I split off your post into its own thread to honor our 1st round pick, the soon to be exonerated Gareon Conley.

LOVE this pick. Now Amerson and Smith have some legitimate competition, and after both of them disappointed to varying degrees at different points of the season, we have a guy who looks like he can be a lockdown #1 CB for the future. For those keeping score at home, we have a crazy bright future with the following players holding important positions:

QB - Derek Carr
WR - Amari Cooper
DE/EDGE - Khalil Mack
FS/SS - Karl Joseph
CB - Gareon Conley

That's not to say guys like Gabe Jackson (LG/RG) and Mario Edwards Jr (DE but always injured) aren't great talents, but they have positional impact limitations (Gabe) or injury concerns (MEJ).

Here are some links and quotes:

Rotoworld wrote:Raiders selected Ohio State CB Gareon Conley with the No. 24 overall pick of the 2017 NFL draft.
Clearly a first-round talent, Conley was expected to slip into at least Day 2 because of rape allegations which surfaced early this week. Conley has not been charged with a crime, however, and reportedly passed a polygraph test on Thursday, for whatever that is worth. No matter why or how, the Raiders are clearly comfortable with the situation. On the field, Conley (6’0/195) started 26 games at Ohio State, tallying 19 pass breakups and six interceptions, and earning second-team All-Big Ten from the conference’s coaches as a junior. PFF College charged Conley with a nation-low 14.0 passer rating allowed in 2016. Plus sized with long arms (33"), 4.44 speed, and dynamic ball skills, Conley profiles as a playmaking man-cover corner.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/gareon-conley?id=2558062

BOTTOM LINE Press-corner with experience at both cornerback spots and an ability to fit into a variety of coverage techniques. He plays with good top-end speed and has the ball skills to challenge and defend passes on any level. He can step in right away in zone coverage, but could struggle to match patterns from a pedal. He will likely be targeted by teams seeking long cornerbacks who can crowd and trail receivers down the field. He has the talent to become an early starter, but he must improve in run support.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2060768/gareon-conley

Although not on the same level athletically as his former teammate Marshon Lattimore, Conley moves very well for his size and consistently stays within arm's length of his man. However, he plays on his heels too much with his momentum taking him backwards, making him a tick slow attacking plays in front of him and allowing savvy route runners to eat him up. Projecting him to the next level, he isn't elite in any one area, but Conley is solid across the board and doesn't have any major deficiency that should keep him from being a steady, scheme-versatile NFL starter.

This guy gives us the ability to cover large in-division WRs like Keenan Allen (and now Mike Williams), as well as Demariyus Thomas. I think ultimately he displaces Sean Smith and becomes our large DB while we target a slot DB in the later rounds.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Also going forward, we almost HAVE to address inside linebacker. Cunningham is the guy we likely hope falls to us in the 2nd, with someone like Raekwon MacMillan as a backup option. If we go safety, Obi is still there, as well as Budda Baker, Josh Jones, or Marcus Williams.

So far, so good!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#5 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Loving our draft so far. Reggie sounded confident that Conley will either be cleared or this won't be an issue going forward.

I love that Obi fell to us.
I thought his combine might have aided in him being overdrafted.

But between him and Karl, i hope we send the message of "hit hard and hit often" for the next few years.

Vanderdoes looked fat on tape.
Apparently he lost 40 pounds ahead of the draft. He's saying a the right things on twitter. He seems like the type of high upside DL Reggie takes after the first round.

Content with all 3 picks.
Probably like Obi the most.

Also....our fans want a MLB so bad.
Reggie's board says:
- Pass on Reuben.
- Pass on Zach.
While incredibly frustrating to not have a good mike on some Sundays, it doesn't seem like he's waivered one bit on how he views the running backs of the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Is Caleb Brantley going to "fall" to us in the 4th?

Or is it a situation where if he fell this far, he fell for a reason, and hes not realky desirable at this point.

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by FNQ » Mon May 1, 2017 6:45 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Is Caleb Brantley going to "fall" to us in the 4th?

Or is it a situation where if he fell this far, he fell for a reason, and hes not realky desirable at this point.

He cold-cocked some woman about a week before the draft... I was stunned he was drafted at all. Browns did the right thing though - invested a late pick in him, and basically said they could still cut him, but wanted first dibs on him if things turned OK for him
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Aug 1, 2017 10:51 pm

No true bill for the preliminary hearing
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#9 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:03 am

Lol, I called it preliminary hearing because that's what I do.

I meant grand jury***

Return to Las Vegas Raiders