Throw Russell to the Lions? Could be the start of something

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,205

Throw Russell to the Lions? Could be the start of something 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:10 pm

When will the Raiders' prize draft pick start leading the franchise out of the wilderness?

My guess is Sept. 9. That's the season opener, at home against the Detroit Lions.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... QF1LF1.DTL
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#2 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:05 am

How awful would that be... this story has all the makings of the Akili Smith saga. At least the Bengals learned from their mistakes (traded for Kitna, had Palmer wait a season). We traded for McCown... God willing, we'll actually use him instead of wasting that 4th rounder.
carnie100
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by carnie100 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:56 am

Hmm. I really want us to just win some games, but hell, Russell is gonna have to start a few games this year to get into the system and feel of the NFL.

Question is definitely how he will fare.

Out of the 3 QB's mentioned in that article-Roethlisberger, Leinart and Young which had the most similar situation to ours?

Leinart for sure. I base this on the fact that the Cardinals are sort of in the same area that we're in as a team--trying to build an offense. Plus they put Leinart out there with a terrible O-Line.

So with that being said, let's go for that tactic.
Slowly put him into the offense towards the end of the year, so that way he gets a taste and feel for playing in a game. Then we can insert him fully into the QB spot next year.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:16 am

510Reggae wrote:How awful would that be... this story has all the makings of the Akili Smith saga.

Shesh, they are two different players. Stop mentioning Akili Smith in every Russell post you make. It gets a tad annoying.

I'm not in favor of starting Russell right off the bat. Give him some time to learn from vets on the squad before tossing him out there. But when he does see some PT, he'll be better than Mr Smith.
SwiLL2432
Analyst
And1: 181

Post#5 » by SwiLL2432 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:20 am

I would never compare Akili to JaMarcus as a Raider fan. Just nothing can come out of it.
#MambaArmy
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by FNQ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:39 am

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:I'm not in favor of starting Russell right off the bat. Give him some time to learn from vets on the squad before tossing him out there. But when he does see some PT, he'll be better than Mr Smith.

Isn't that what they did with Akili? Isn't that the point I was trying to make, that Akili was a talented QB out of college, thrown to the wolves early and got really rattled and never recovered? Hell, thats the reason I compared them in the 1st place... don't be so defensive all the time...
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#7 » by The Rebel » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:42 am

Keep Russell on the bench, bring him on later in the year, or next year. That way the line can develop and learn to work together in their positions, and let McCown go out there and try to earn another contract next year. In the end it is much better for the team.
Fooberman
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by Fooberman » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:15 am

In terms of the situation, I think the Raiders with Russell is closest to the Cardinals with Leinart. However, the players are very different. Leinart was VERY NFL ready. Russell... not so much.

I would be much happier if Russell didn't play a down this year

1) I don't want Russell out there until I'm comfortable with the O-Line. Let's not kill him physically or psychologically.

2) There is a difference between the learning a player can do when they aren't playing and when they are. When you're playing, you have to be prepping for particular opponents. When you aren't playing, you can work more on improving fundamentals, reading defenses, and understanding the playbook.

Let the spaghetti cook before you throw it against the wall...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by FNQ » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:19 am

For God's sake, thank you Fooberman...

#1 and #2 are the difference between Carson Palmer and Akili Smith.
EG4life
Junior
And1: 31

Post#10 » by EG4life » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:53 pm

we shoulod have brought in kurt warner. for some reason every young qb that takes his job becomes great (except for eli)
RayStats34
Veteran

Post#11 » by RayStats34 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:22 am

I believe in trial by fire that's the best way to learn.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,103

Post#12 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:52 am

Well not getting signed on time is not going to speed up Russell's entre into the starting lineup. Not much chance now, I'd think, that he starts game 1.

And now Oakland is talking to Culpepper: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... R9MK23.DTL

Return to Las Vegas Raiders