ImageImageImage

Eagles Draft Discussion Thread

APerna
Editor
And1: 1

Post#21 » by APerna » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Lets keep all draft discussion here as well...
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.
philbe311
Starter
And1: 0

Post#22 » by philbe311 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:09 pm

Not that anyone cares, but taking part in the realgm mock draft, I selected the following for the Eagles...

1st (26) - Jon Beason, LB, Miami - This pick was made before the T. Spikes trade, but in either case Spikes & Trotter are on the wrong side of 30, Dhani stinks, and Gaither is the only decent youth we have at the position

2nd (57) - Tanard Jackson, CB/S, Syracuse - CD & S were both needs and this guy addresses both. CB in college, projects as a Safety in the pros, but will be a valuable nickel back to us.

3rd (90) - Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn - This doesn't fit a need, but was a pure value pick. I was hoping for a big RB or DE here, but I would have been reaching. Irons is undervalued after playing his senior season with a series of minor injuries. I think he's the 2nd best back in the entire draft. I couldn't pass him up here.

Thoughts...
philbe311
Starter

Post#23 » by philbe311 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:27 pm

My prognastication (based on needs, expected availability, and talent of the prospect) of the Eagles 1st round pick is as follows:

Aaron Ross (3 to 1) - May be gone, but this would be an ideal pick. Played CB in college, could move to S in the pros, great athelete, return guy.

Michael Griffin (3 to 1) - Likely available and fills a big need. Safety is one position where a rookie could challenge for a starting role. Nelson is probably gone and I don't buy the Meriweather hype (see below).

Reggie Nelson (5 to 1) - I think he'll be long gone, but if he's available, he's a hell of a player. His build worries me slightly, but he's way to good of a player to pass up if available.

Jarvis Moss (8 to 1) - The birds like their lineman. Kearse is good when healthy and Howard has underperformed. Cole and Thomas are nice young players, but depth and a future starter is needed at DE. May very well be available at 26. The need varies based on whether they think Gocong can contribute as a DE this season.

Anthony Spencer (10 to 1) - Haven't heard his name mentioned much. A notch behind Moss, but still a potential everydown starter in the NFL.

Jon Beason (15 to 1) - Best LB in the draft behind Willis in my opinion. While the Eagles added Spikes, both he and Trotter are on the wrong side of 30. Gaither is a nice young player. Jones stinks. The birds still need depth and youth at the position.

Brian Leonard (15 to 1) - While we need depth at many positions, there is no urgent need. This enables the Eagles to take a player that is exteremly versatile. He can catch out of the backfield, block, and pick up the tough yareds.

Tanard Jackson (15 to 1) - This is my longshot pick. He's a college CB that project to safety in the NFL. He should he could handle S at the college all-star games. He could play both safety and nickel back for the birds. Lots of playing experience. This is my darkhorse for the 26th pick. He project as a 2nd rounder, but will likely be gone by pick #57. There's been some talk of him squeaking into the end of the 1st round. I think he would be an ideal fit. Think of him as Aaron Ross without the return ability and slightly slower 40.

Chris Houston (20 to 1) - A pure CB. Couldn't transition to S. Depth would be nice, but I'm not overly sold on Houston. I actually am okay with Peterson and Hanson. Depth could be added in later rounds.

Greg Olsen (30 to 1) - If he's still available, which is doubtful, we can let LJ Smith walk away after the season without guilt.

Brandon Meriweather (40 to 1) - I know this is a popular pick, but I don't see the Eagles taking him. His character concerns coupled with his smallish build for a safety makes thinks the eagles would pass. The birds like to play there safeties in the box and while he's a big hitter I have concerns about his ability to last a season.

Lawerence Timmons (40 to 1) - May be gone. Not a large body of work, only started for one season. I think Beason is the only LB the birds consider.

Paul Poluszny (40 to 1) - See Timmons commentary above.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#24 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:55 am

Under 12 hours until the draft starts and a majority of the mock drafts I've seen have us taking Brandan Meriweather with our 1st pick. I think Safety is a huge need for us and so that pick would make me very happy. Of course, I'd prefer to see Reggie Nelson slide down to us instead.
APerna
Editor

Post#25 » by APerna » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Who we taking?
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.
Wildfire
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by Wildfire » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:20 pm

PacerPerspective wrote:Who we taking?

At this rate: Brady Quinn :lol:
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#27 » by livestrong4ever » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:50 pm

I was hoping Griffin, but i really dont know no more:(
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#28 » by Ong_dynasty » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:03 pm

I guess its no one now..we traded the pick to the Cowgirls
APerna
Editor

Post#29 » by APerna » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:04 pm

What's this about...who or what did we get?
+ PF
APerna
Editor

Post#30 » by APerna » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:06 pm

We got Dallas's 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round picks...

Not bad
+ PF
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Ong_dynasty » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:22 pm

Dont really like the trade but there as really no i liked so..meehhh
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,575

Post#32 » by Brinbe » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:28 pm

We got good value. No one was there at that spot anyway
APerna
Editor

Post#33 » by APerna » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:16 pm

Brinbe wrote:We got good value. No one was there at that spot anyway

Agreed :nod:
+ PF
Wildfire
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by Wildfire » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:51 pm

If they wanted a QB why didn't they trade up for Quinn?
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#35 » by Ong_dynasty » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:56 pm

I dont know what to say!!!Thats true..why didnt they just trade up for the #22?do you think Dallas tried to block it???or too expensive??

This is confusing me
Welfare Fraud
Starter
And1: 13

Post#36 » by Welfare Fraud » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:02 am

Kevin Kolb..................

.......i'm speechless
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#37 » by The Guilty Party » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:03 am

Wildfire wrote:If they wanted a QB why didn't they trade up for Quinn?

Quinn has a big name but there are serious questions about his accuracy. Why trade a 2nd rounder and next year's first for a QB who may not be a whole lot better than Kolb especially when you consider that we also got a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder with Kolb.
Wildfire
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by Wildfire » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:34 am

The Guilty Party wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Quinn has a big name but there are serious questions about his accuracy. Why trade a 2nd rounder and next year's first for a QB who may not be a whole lot better than Kolb especially when you consider that we also got a 3rd rounder and a 5th rounder with Kolb.

I guess the last thing we need is another guy throwing balls above our receiver's heads/into the ground. I just figured he'd be a great guy to groom behind Donovan, but I guess Reid felt like this was the way to go.

Is Kolb any good? I don't really follow college football that much.

I guess I'm not so surprised we took another lineman with our other 2nd.

We also chose a LB and RB in the 3th and 4th.

Anyone got any info on any of these guys?
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#39 » by Ong_dynasty » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:29 am

This is the 1st time iam totally confused with the draft..
I cant hate it because I dont follow most of these people...but I dont like it as I thought we would have fixed our secondary by now..
I guess they wernt really high on houston then and all good db's and safeties went before our 1st pick..

oh well..we'll just have to wait and see
bech01a1
Senior

Post#40 » by bech01a1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:46 pm

I was shocked just like everyone else about Kolb. I like the Abmiri pick and Bradley.

Return to Philadelphia Eagles