ImageImageImageImageImage

Are the Yankees ever going to have an athletic outfield ?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Are the Yankees ever going to have an athletic outfield ? 

Post#1 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sat May 26, 2007 2:45 pm

I mean seriously first Torre can't handle a bullpen, now people in the stadium bitchin' for Bernie to return. I look at our OF it has to be the worst athletic OF in the Majors. Melky think about this, Melky Cabrera is our best OF.

I mean when is this team going to bring up an Austin Jackson, an Edwar Ramirez, when are we going to have a Coco Crisp type defender, an Endy Chavez or Bill Hall or Ryan Freel or Tony Gwyn Jr. I mean what the f'*** when will they realize Matsui and Damon and Abreu are the worst and I mean the worst combination of an outfield ever, Matsui no arm can't track line drives, Damon a sissy arm, has lost the ability to track down simple line drives, Abreu scared of a wall , no heart or urgency in his defense. I mean these are the little quirks that piss me off when the team signs power hitters and guys that can work counts, they forget to take account their defense too much.

And I'm tired of FATCESSA's and Chris Russo's garbage abbout how an OF needs to be a 90 RBI man , no he doesn't , a speed threat yes, a gaps hitter yes, but if they have all these tools and can't defend their positions why get them ? Where are the 30/30 guys in this lineup ? a 20/20 atleast :nonono:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#2 » by cmaff051 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:50 pm

The only way to get an athletic outfield per say is to draft and develop young outfielders from the minors.

And personally, I'll take Johnny Damon, who has shown time and time again that he is a great hitter, over Coco Crisp who may be good with the glove but can't hit for ****.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#3 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sat May 26, 2007 2:51 pm

cmaff051 wrote:The only way to get an athletic outfield per say is to draft and develop young outfielders from the minors.

And personally, I'll take Johnny Damon, who has shown time and time again that he is a great hitter, over Coco Crisp who may be good with the glove but can't hit for ****.

when Damon and Matsui fields like they did last night it makes me puke :evil:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#4 » by cmaff051 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:53 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

when Damon and Matsui fields like they did last night it makes me puke :evil:

Damon needs to go on the DL and get healthy. He isn't doing anybody a favor by playing injured. He's a better outfielder than this.

Matsui... well, we'll have to live with him in LF until Giambi's contract is over. Then we can shift him over to DH.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#5 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sat May 26, 2007 2:58 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Damon needs to go on the DL and get healthy. He isn't doing anybody a favor by playing injured. He's a better outfielder than this.

Matsui... well, we'll have to live with him in LF until Giambi's contract is over. Then we can shift him over to DH.

Cmaff I think Damon is done
and Matsui has always been overrated in his D
don't even get me started w/ Abooboo

this is the worst LF/CF/RF combo in the ML
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#6 » by cmaff051 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:01 pm

Damon was a much better outfielder last year. I find it hard to believe that he has gotten this bad already. I just believe he is injured.

NYKnStill, not every older player who has a rough spot is done. :nonono: :nonono: You've done the same thing with Damon, Matsui and Mussina. Come on, these guys are veterans, they'll snap out of it and be much better. And in Damon's case, he needs to be healthy. :nonono:
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#7 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sat May 26, 2007 3:05 pm

Damon was a much better outfielder last year. I find it hard to believe that he has gotten this bad already. I just believe he is injured.

NYKnStill, not every older player who has a rough spot is done. :nonono: :nonono: You've done the same thing with Damon, Matsui and Mussina. Come on, these guys are veterans, they'll snap out of it and be much better. And in Damon's case, he needs to be healthy. :nonono:

when you get old your bones start to crack , that's a saying in sports, your time always come, Damon is hurt, he's older meaning his injuries linger now it's not all going away because they are vets.
majorleads
Banned User

Post#8 » by majorleads » Sat May 26, 2007 3:35 pm

What I would do is pay a huge chunk of Giambi's contract and trade him away. Then I would make Damon the DH because you cannot have a CF with an arm like his. He's killing you guys out there. Try and find a speedy CF, doesn't have to be a permanent option, just someone to get you through this season.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#9 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sat May 26, 2007 3:39 pm

majorleads wrote:What I would do is pay a huge chunk of Giambi's contract and trade him away. Then I would make Damon the DH because you cannot have a CF with an arm like his. He's killing you guys out there. Try and find a speedy CF, doesn't have to be a permanent option, just someone to get you through this season.

I've been saying this, no offense to Cashman but if he does absolutely nothing but bring old hitters back , then he needs to go. :nonono:
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#10 » by cmaff051 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:48 pm

majorleads wrote:What I would do is pay a huge chunk of Giambi's contract and trade him away. Then I would make Damon the DH because you cannot have a CF with an arm like his. He's killing you guys out there. Try and find a speedy CF, doesn't have to be a permanent option, just someone to get you through this season.

Damon is our best defensive outfielder. He was great last year when he was fully healthy. If we traded Giambi, Matsui would move to DH.

Let's get something straight here. We are the Yankees. We have no interest in guys like Shane Victorino, who isn't even close to being a good offensive player, playing in our outfield for extended peroids (years) of time. A one year stop-gap, maybe. For the last 10 years, the Yankees have followed the same model. They pursue players who can get on base at a very good clip. That's just the Yankee way. The philosophy over the last few years has been to get on base at a high clip and take your walks. We aren't going to turn into the Mets, who have an affinity for stolen bases and low OBP, low power guys (like Chavez).

We could get much younger, yes. That is true. But we'll never have free swingers like Chavez and Victorino and guys like that manning any part of our outfielder, regardless of whether they steal alot of bases.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#11 » by 34Celtic » Sat May 26, 2007 4:47 pm

You think everyone is done after 2 months. Damon is a helluva player, BETTER THAN ANYONE IN OUR FARM SYSTEM. So I don't know where you're coming from. And by the way Coco Crisp may make highlight reel catches, but he cant hit a lick and he might have the worst arm in the majors
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#12 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sat May 26, 2007 8:22 pm

34Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You think everyone is done after 2 months. Damon is a helluva player, BETTER THAN ANYONE IN OUR FARM SYSTEM. So I don't know where you're coming from. And by the way Coco Crisp may make highlight reel catches, but he cant hit a lick and he might have the worst arm in the majors

but he prevents RISP, makes game saving catches I don't think everyone is done

Damon is falling (can't even stay healthy)
Abreu is in a coma
Matsui can someone find this guy, the clutch hitter, the guy that can hit 25 HRS and hits w/ RISP

those 3 and I add Giambi too have been pathetic this year.
majorleads
Banned User

Post#13 » by majorleads » Sat May 26, 2007 9:32 pm

Damon is our best defensive outfielder. He was great last year when he was fully healthy. If we traded Giambi, Matsui would move to DH.

Let's get something straight here. We are the Yankees. We have no interest in guys like Shane Victorino, who isn't even close to being a good offensive player, playing in our outfield for extended peroids (years) of time. A one year stop-gap, maybe. For the last 10 years, the Yankees have followed the same model. They pursue players who can get on base at a very good clip. That's just the Yankee way. The philosophy over the last few years has been to get on base at a high clip and take your walks. We aren't going to turn into the Mets, who have an affinity for stolen bases and low OBP, low power guys (like Chavez).

We could get much younger, yes. That is true. But we'll never have free swingers like Chavez and Victorino and guys like that manning any part of our outfielder, regardless of whether they steal alot of bases.

Chavez is our FOURTH outfielder! And what is wrong with Victorino? That guy would light up Yankee Stadium with his tremendous defense. He'd save you a ton of runs.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#14 » by 34Celtic » Sat May 26, 2007 9:58 pm

but he prevents RISP, makes game saving catches I don't think everyone is done

Go ask the Red Sox how much they miss Johnny Damon, ok done.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#15 » by cmaff051 » Sat May 26, 2007 11:14 pm

majorleads wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Chavez is our FOURTH outfielder! And what is wrong with Victorino? That guy would light up Yankee Stadium with his tremendous defense. He'd save you a ton of runs.

What's wrong with Victorino? Maybe the fact that he can't swing a bat to save his life. :nonono:
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#16 » by NYKnSTILL! » Sun May 27, 2007 3:16 am

34Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Go ask the Red Sox how much they miss Johnny Damon, ok done.

really com'on give me a break. The team up 11 1/2 misses Damon, they said Coc has not been what Damon is offensively, they thought Crisp would be a prototypical leadoff man who doesn't break rallies, what they love about Coco is his superb OF defense
majorleads
Banned User

Post#17 » by majorleads » Sun May 27, 2007 3:29 am

What's wrong with Victorino? Maybe the fact that he can't swing a bat to save his life. :nonono:

Hey Victorino went 3-5 yesterday and 3-5 today with a HR. He steals tons of bases, bats from both sides and plays GREAT defense! He's only 26! You guys need more players like Victorino and less players like Giambi and Matsui. You need GAMERS. Victorino will save you lots of runs with his defense which will help your pitchers out tremendously.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:45 am

If they can dump Giambi (opening up the way to move Matsui to DH) and factor in the Abreu's $16 million contract coming off the books could these two guys (one in CF and one in RF) be the answer (albeit for next season)?

cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#19 » by cmaff051 » Sun May 27, 2007 4:11 am

No thanks, both are on the wrong side of their primes and are going to cost way too much.
majorleads
Banned User

Post#20 » by majorleads » Sun May 27, 2007 4:22 am

cmaff051 wrote:No thanks, both are on the wrong side of their primes and are going to cost way too much.

I'd take Ichiro in heart beat. Defense and speed...kid, defense and speed.

Who would you like to see in the outfield next season? Melky Cabrera? :roll:

Return to New York Yankees