And1: 1

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:15 am

League leading 5th complete game!

Woo!
jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Post#3 » by jalenrose#5 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:03 am

Jays were lucky to win this game actually.

4 Errors by the Angels....one that really comes to mind is the Wells hit that should've been a DP...only 1 run would've scored....and they'd be outta the inning. But...since they capitalized on the oppurtunity given to them.....they won it.

Hope to see a more consistant offensive effort next game....but it seems like I say that after every game :(
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#4 » by TR50 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:08 am

Solid night for the Jays, Doc looked a bit shaky in the 1st inning but was spectacular from there on, offense was decent and we def. needed to capitalize on those errors...typical home win
risktaker91
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by risktaker91 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:44 am

Yay Doc! :clap:

Marcum tommorow!
fliszt25
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by fliszt25 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:23 am

jalenrose#5 wrote:Jays were lucky to win this game actually.

4 Errors by the Angels....one that really comes to mind is the Wells hit that should've been a DP...only 1 run would've scored....and they'd be outta the inning. But...since they capitalized on the oppurtunity given to them.....they won it.

Hope to see a more consistant offensive effort next game....but it seems like I say that after every game :(

My thoughts exactly. This was a lucky win due to the errors. I was particularly mad at Vernon when he grounded that ball in the 1st but he was bailed out. In fact, the entire game after the 1st, it seems like all the Jays hitters did was ground out much like against Perez from KC. Also, with Luna in the lineup (a great pickup by Ricciardi by the way :roll: ), it sure makes me wish that Stairs can play 3rd base.

Finally, I don't know if anyone has noticed but even Aaron Hill has become infected with a bout of batting average mediocrity. His OBP isn't anything to speak of either. IMO, he's gone away from his strength which is contact hitting (.291 average last year) and is trying to hit the ball out of the park way too much.
RingItUp!
Starter
And1: 6

Post#7 » by RingItUp! » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Another gem from the Doc. I love watching him pitch when he's on his game.

I don't really think the Jays 'got lucky', however. Despite the errors that the Angels committed, if they had got out of that inning with only one run scored, they'd have been lucky. Reed, Overbay, Alex, and Frankie T all hit Saunders hard in that first inning. Thomas was unlucky that his shot stayed in the yard.

I agree, though, that the Jays didn't really do anything after that first inning. Two 2-hit innings with no runs (5th and 7th) were business as usual for this season's Jays. Fortunately the Doc was in, and he was distributing his medicine all over that Angels lineup.
"There are no conditions of life to which a man cannot get accustomed, especially if he sees them accepted by everyone around him."
- Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,006

Post#8 » by tsherkin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:29 pm

The Jays' offense got lucky, of that there can be no doubt.

Doc still merc'd the Angels pretty badly. What was it? 8 fly-ball outs all game? And like 3 hits into the outfield after the first?

Something like that, he was getting them to put weak contact on the ball all night long, it was great. 99 pitches, 1h58m, that was an astonishing pitching performance.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#9 » by OldNo7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:50 am

3 stolen bases by Cabrera tonight sure has to hurt Zaun's pride. Throwing out a speedy Figgins may help however.

I love Marcum - 4 hits, 1 walk in 7 innings.

And I love how Janssen is a pickoff master even being a righty.
Twitter: @NickObergan
jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Post#10 » by jalenrose#5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:52 am

Great pitched game by Marcum once again....he knows how to pitch. Jays take another series from a solid team at home. This team needs to win on the road.....if they had 10 more wins on the road....still like 3 games below .500, they'd be in front of the wildcard by 2.5-3 games....sad really.

The bats of the Jays continue to have trouble. 1 RBI tonight on a bloop hit that was probably an out if VDub didn't break his bat. The other run was scored on the typical 0 out, bases jacked double play....something the Blue Jays are now famous for.

The Jays were 3/13 with RISP and only 1 RBI.....that's below .250.....yeah it's that bad.

Currently, the only Jays hitter hitting over .270 for the year who plays everyday is Rios.....nobody is above .270......talk about brutal. This team is going to have to pitch themselves back into it.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,006

Post#11 » by tsherkin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:29 am

Marcum came out with a great game. He had some nasty stuff going, breaking to either side of the zone. His changeup was getting down and in on righties and he had the slider and the curve going. Oh man was that curve killing people.... he had guys swinging at the plate, not the ball at times. And then he has a 90-ish mph fastball that looks so much faster after you've just seen curveball, changeup, changeup or what-not.

Janssen's walks were awkward and annoying but he still pitched a good frame and then Accardo came out and did his thing.

The pitching was nice.

The hitting was a little frustrating, especially that bases-loaded, no-outs situation. Driving runners in continues to be a problem.

What's apparenetly not a problem is for Rios to get a hit. And make it look like the easiest damned thing in the world, too. He was running hard to night and generally making a mockery of the Angels' pitching.

jalen's got the ugly numbers about RISP hitting; our offense is failing us this year, it's a real shame. And unfortunately, it's not 100% the fault of Gibbons/Ricciardi, though enough so to merit firing them.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by OldNo7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:31 am

I wonder if Marcum spends a lot of time with Doc working on his stuff. It seems this season, far more than last, he doesnt throw a pitch that is straight. His ball, no matter what pitch he is throwing, tails off somewhere different.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by OldNo7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:42 am

from MLB.com's review:

Marcum (10-4) has now won five straight games and has started an outing with at least five scoreless innings 10 times this season.

That is impressive.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#14 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:25 pm

Marcum has been fantastic. I think he's only given up 1 HR in his last 30 innings or so, which is great. If he limits his HR and maintains his current ratios, he's going to be a very good pitcher moving forward. Maybe a Pat Hentgen (pre-injuries) type, though that's probably a best case scenario.

As for the offense, it's sad that the starters need to almost throw shutouts every night in order to win. Last year's offense with this year's pitching is a possible wild card team, but this team can never seem to have both working at the same time. It's been like that for years. Very frustrating.
Rare
Analyst
And1: 593

Post#15 » by Rare » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:35 pm

you need to accept the jays offence has struggled all year and probably will continue to struggle for the rest of the season, so if if we expect to continue to win we're gona have to fall back on our pitching to give us quality starts night in and night out.
    o
☻/
/▌
/ \
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#16 » by cb4_89 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:57 pm

MARCUM!!!!
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,065

Post#17 » by Duffman100 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Why didn't Hill bunt the guys over in the 8th...pure stupidity by Gibbons...
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#18 » by Griff83 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:09 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Why didn't Hill bunt the guys over in the 8th...pure stupidity by Gibbons...

JP and Gibbons dont believe in small ball.
Modern_epic
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#19 » by Modern_epic » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:26 pm

Was it Thomas and Glaus? If so, I don't know if I trust them to beat out the throw on a bunt.
whiterasta80
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#20 » by whiterasta80 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:12 pm

Modern_epic wrote:Was it Thomas and Glaus? If so, I don't know if I trust them to beat out the throw on a bunt.

Especially an Aaron Hill bunt. That's what people who want us to start playing small ball don't get. You build a team for small ball over years. We're just the opposite. We don't have alot of speed, we have MANY players who can't run worth a damn, and we have precisely one good bunter who seemingly can only do it for a base hit.

I agree that small ball is a good idea (and have been opposed to the Moneyball philosophy for years), but you need the personnel to be able to do that. Even firing JP and bringing in John Shoerholtz would still require 2-3 years to establish that style.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays