Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Re: 2021 NFL Draft Thread and Discussion 

Post#581 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:21 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
I thought Trey Sermon was the best RB in the draft with Javonte Williams in close 2nd.

I would be more excited about the pick, if it weren't for Shanahan playing favorites. Hopefully, Sermon will test well on those pregame quizzes.

It's best for Sermon's longevity to not be out there every snap, but I think he won't be out there hardly at all if he doesn't nail his protections.

Traded away not one, but 2, fourth round picks is what stinks about that pick. To add salt to injury, I strongly believe that UNC’s Michael Carter is a much better player for us (running and catching) in this scheme. He also has more tread in his tires. Sermon’s body seems to be breaking down already, he’s not a bad RB at all. I just don’t think he was worth the price we paid for him. Overall I give us a C- grade based on how we managed the draft overall. The only reason why we passed is because of Trey Lance.

IMO, this is how we should’ve managed the draft with the two 4th round picks we had:

1.) Justin Fields (but Lance is not a bad prospect for us either)

2.) Rondale Moore (1 ch) or Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

3.) Elijah Molden (1st choice) or Michael Carter

4.) Jabil Cox (1 ch, depending on who we drafted in Rd 2 between Moore and JOK) or Jaylon Moore

4.) Trey Smith

5.) Demetric Felton (depending on who we drafted in rd 2 between Moore or JOK) or Deo Lenoir

6.) Elijah Mitchell

7.) Talanoa Hufanga

EDIT: with the 7th round pick instead of Hufanga, we should’ve drafted Ar’Darius Washington.

This is why I was banging on the table for Trey Smith. He’s head and shoulders better than Banks and Moore. I can’t believe we passed up on him (fast forward to 1:08)
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#582 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Aug 5, 2021 5:36 pm

Banks was pretty easily my least favorite pick in the draft. I didn't love the position with that pick (obviously we needed a guard, but I would have waited a round or at least traded back), and I don't love the player at that spot. I'm not at all confident a right side of Banks and McGlinchey can hold up in pass protection. If we were going to go interior OL at that spot, I would have preferred Creed Humphrey, another guy KC ended up with.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#583 » by I_am_1z » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:29 pm

Anyone feeling like we'll have draft regrets for not picking Justin Fields?

The guy is already looking like a cheatcode in practice. I never understood how Zach Wilson was ever ranked higher than him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#584 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:50 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Anyone feeling like we'll have draft regrets for not picking Justin Fields?

The guy is already looking like a cheatcode in practice. I never understood how Zach Wilson was ever ranked higher than him.

I'm on record as wanting Fields. And if we could have traded up one or two spots to get him instead of up to three and get back two of those first-round picks (or, worst-case, moving a single first-round pick to move up to 6 and guarantee we got Fields as it's only hindsight that tells us he would have been there at 11), for me, it's an absolute no-brainer. But overpaying for a specific guy is kind of how this FO operates.

That said, Lance has apparently improved his mechanics quite a lot, and his accuracy is better. He's showing the things on and off the field that you were hoping to get from him, and frankly earlier than I expected it. To me, the remorse will more likely be due to what we gave up to get Lance rather than the players themselves. Though Fields' accuracy is special in a way that I don't think Lance's ever will be, so Lance is going to have to win decisively above the shoulders.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#585 » by I_am_1z » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:41 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Anyone feeling like we'll have draft regrets for not picking Justin Fields?

I'm on record as wanting Fields. And if we could have traded up one or two spots to get him instead of up to three and get back two of those first-round picks (or, worst-case, moving a single first-round pick to move up to 6 and guarantee we got Fields as it's only hindsight that tells us he would have been there at 11), for me, it's an absolute no-brainer. But overpaying for a specific guy is kind of how this FO operates.

That said, Lance has apparently improved his mechanics quite a lot, and his accuracy is better. He's showing the things on and off the field that you were hoping to get from him, and frankly earlier than I expected it. To me, the remorse will more likely be due to what we gave up to get Lance rather than the players themselves. Though Fields' accuracy is special in a way that I don't think Lance's ever will be, so Lance is going to have to win decisively above the shoulders.

I can't get upset at trying to move up for a franchise QB, but I'll never understand how Fields was ranked lower than Lance and Wilson. Honestly, Fields was the best QB in the draft, but it was arguable that Trevor Lawrence brought more intangibles, and that perhaps led to everyone ranking Fields above Lawrence. After them there was a huge gap in my opinion. No way would I select Zach Wilson and there wasn't enough film of Trey Lance to warrant putting him over my top two QBs.

I think the only spot where Lance even has a chance to out do Fields is being overly aggressive and knowing when to trust his receivers.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#586 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:26 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I can't get upset at trying to move up for a franchise QB, but I'll never understand how Fields was ranked lower than Lance and Wilson. Honestly, Fields was the best QB in the draft, but it was arguable that Trevor Lawrence brought more intangibles, and that perhaps led to everyone ranking Fields above Lawrence. After them there was a huge gap in my opinion. No way would I select Zach Wilson and there wasn't enough film of Trey Lance to warrant putting him over my top two QBs.

I think the only spot where Lance even has a chance to out do Fields is being overly aggressive and knowing when to trust his receivers.

I really liked Fields, and was pulling strongly for the Niners to take him, but there are a few areas where Lance can/should have the advantage. Lance played in a system that is more similar to the one he's playing in with the Niners. He is experienced running play action, which Fields isn't at all, and is probably smoother going through his progressions. Fields has great escapability and instincts, but he can get flustered in the pocket (granted, Lance faced much less pressure and also had moments where he got flustered) and can make bad decisions as a result. Lance is reportedly a more engaging and outgoing personality, while Fields is more of a quiet, lead-by-example type. I like the latter personality, but I want my QB to be an outspoken leader.

That said, Fields has elite accuracy, athleticism, toughness. Lance may be smarter, but all reports are that Fields is also very intelligent and has a near-photographic memory. And both are clearly effective leaders. I think there are fewer questions about Fields (though Lance is already answering some of the bigger questions about him in strong fashion), and those questions pertain to things that I think are generally easier to coach up/scheme around. But who knows? And I think Lance is in a much better situation now, with a stronger supporting cast and great playcalling coach, so it would not surprise me at all to see him outperform Fields, at least in the short term.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#587 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Fields in Shanahan’s offense would have been a cheatcode :banghead:

Lance is a better scrambler though. He’s a menace as a running QB. Still I prefer Fields than Lance because the game of football will always be played and evaluated as a pure pocket passer, and Fields is an elite thrower of the football.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#588 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:42 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

That right there! This reminds me of 2019: Deebo Samuel vs. A.J. Brown. Same exact scenario in the sense that I have not qualms against Lance as a football player. He’s going to be great. But Fields will be special! He’s the better of the two.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#589 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:06 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
I thought Trey Sermon was the best RB in the draft with Javonte Williams in close 2nd.

I would be more excited about the pick, if it weren't for Shanahan playing favorites. Hopefully, Sermon will test well on those pregame quizzes.

It's best for Sermon's longevity to not be out there every snap, but I think he won't be out there hardly at all if he doesn't nail his protections.

Traded away not one, but 2, fourth round picks is what stinks about that pick. To add salt to injury, I strongly believe that UNC’s Michael Carter is a much better player for us (running and catching) in this scheme. He also has more tread in his tires. Sermon’s body seems to be breaking down already, he’s not a bad RB at all. I just don’t think he was worth the price we paid for him. Overall I give us a C- grade based on how we managed the draft overall. The only reason why we passed is because of Trey Lance.

IMO, this is how we should’ve managed the draft with the two 4th round picks we had:

4.) Jabil Cox (1 ch, depending on who we drafted in Rd 2 between Moore and JOK) or Jaylon Moore

4.) Trey Smith

5.) Demetric Felton (depending on who we drafted in rd 2 between Moore or JOK) or Deo Lenoir

6.) Elijah Mitchell

7.) Talanoa Hufanga

EDIT: with the 7th round pick instead of Hufanga, we should’ve drafted Ar’Darius Washington.

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Trey Sermon is a healthy inactive for Week 1 against the Lions.

So much for Sermon being a usable RB3/FLEX option for the opener. This is a big surprise, as the 49ers are rolling with Raheem Mostert, JaMycal Hasty, and Elijah Mitchell in the backfield. It's a huge boost to Mostert's Week 1 status as a rock-solid RB2. Also inactive for the 49ers are CB Emmanuel Moseley, DT Javon Kinlaw, CB Josh Norman, and OL Aaron Banks.

Sep 12, 2021, 11:45 AM ET
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#590 » by I_am_1z » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:56 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

4.) Trey Smith

6.) Elijah Mitchell

7.) Talanoa Hufanga

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

So much for Sermon being a usable RB3/FLEX option for the opener. This is a big surprise, as the 49ers are rolling with Raheem Mostert, JaMycal Hasty, and Elijah Mitchell in the backfield. It's a huge boost to Mostert's Week 1 status as a rock-solid RB2. Also inactive for the 49ers are CB Emmanuel Moseley, DT Javon Kinlaw, CB Josh Norman, and OL Aaron Banks.

Think this is more of Shanny trying to outsmart everyone
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#591 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:27 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

4.) Trey Smith

6.) Elijah Mitchell

7.) Talanoa Hufanga

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

You don’t trade up for a RB that high in the draft to make him a healthy scratch on game day. We could have drafted Asante Samuel in the second or Elijah Molden in the 3rd. A position of dire need right now. We traded away 2 4th round picks for Sermon. He can’t even beat out a 5th round pick for that spot.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#592 » by I_am_1z » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:52 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

You don’t trade up for a RB that high in the draft to make him a healthy scratch on game day. We could have drafted Asante Samuel in the second or Elijah Molden in the 3rd. A position of dire need right now. We traded away 2 4th round picks for Sermon. He can’t even beat out a 5th round pick for that spot.

Negative points for thinking Shanny is being a sensible, logical coach. This is the guy that would try to force Tevin Coleman into being his workhorse RB with three better options behind him. Trey Sermon is now, undoubtedly, the best RB on the team with Mostert and Wilson out
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#593 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:53 pm

I_am_1z wrote:

Negative points for thinking Shanny is being a sensible, logical coach. This is the guy that would try to force Tevin Coleman into being his workhorse RB with three better options behind him. Trey Sermon is now, undoubtedly, the best RB on the team with Mostert and Wilson out[/quote]

He’s a very good runner but he’s fragile. His first ever carry as a pro and he’s seriously hurt. Fumbled the ball.

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Trey Sermon (concussion) rushed one time for eight yards before exiting the 49ers' Week 2 win over the Eagles.

Sermon took a hard hit on his only carry and fumbled the ball. He was unable to return the game after that attempt. Adam Schefter has since reported that Sermon is in concussion protocol and will need medical clearance before suiting up for Week 3. JaMycal Hasty suffered an ankle injury that will require further testing on Monday. That leaves Elijah Mitchell, who suffered a shoulder injury that he returned from, and Trenton Cannon as the 49ers' only available running backs right now. If Sermon and Hasty are unable to play in their Week 3 matchup with the Packers, Mitchell would see a large share of the carries. The 49ers could look to sign a free agent if they are down to just two healthy runners for their upcoming game.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 19, 2021, 10:43 PM ET
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#594 » by I_am_1z » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:39 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Negative points for thinking Shanny is being a sensible, logical coach. This is the guy that would try to force Tevin Coleman into being his workhorse RB with three better options behind him. Trey Sermon is now, undoubtedly, the best RB on the team with Mostert and Wilson out

He’s a very good runner but he’s fragile. His first ever carry as a pro and he’s seriously hurt. Fumbled the ball.

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Trey Sermon (concussion) rushed one time for eight yards before exiting the 49ers' Week 2 win over the Eagles.

Sermon took a hard hit on his only carry and fumbled the ball. He was unable to return the game after that attempt. Adam Schefter has since reported that Sermon is in concussion protocol and will need medical clearance before suiting up for Week 3. JaMycal Hasty suffered an ankle injury that will require further testing on Monday. That leaves Elijah Mitchell, who suffered a shoulder injury that he returned from, and Trenton Cannon as the 49ers' only available running backs right now. If Sermon and Hasty are unable to play in their Week 3 matchup with the Packers, Mitchell would see a large share of the carries. The 49ers could look to sign a free agent if they are down to just two healthy runners for their upcoming game.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 19, 2021, 10:43 PM ET[/quote]

We'll see how long the concussion lasts, but typically they're not serious in the short term.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#595 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:39 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

We'll see how long the concussion lasts, but typically they're not serious in the short term.

He was not worth a trade up in the 3rd round. Smh.

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Trey Sermon rushed 10 times for 31 yards and a touchdown and caught 2-of-3 targets for three yards in Week 3 against the Packers.

Sermon was the 49ers’ lead back with Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) sidelined and JaMycal Hasty on IR. Kyle Juszczyk (69% snap share) had a larger role than expected, playing over Sermon on third downs and scoring a late touchdown. Sermon saved his night with his own goal-line TD in the fourth quarter. The 49ers haven’t shown much confidence in Sermon, who averaged 3.1 YPC and had just three more touches than Juszczyk, but Sermon showed enough to have a larger committee load if Mitchell returns in Week 4.

Sep 27, 2021, 12:06 AM ET
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#596 » by I_am_1z » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:52 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Trey Sermon rushed 10 times for 31 yards and a touchdown and caught 2-of-3 targets for three yards in Week 3 against the Packers.

Sermon was the 49ers’ lead back with Elijah Mitchell (shoulder) sidelined and JaMycal Hasty on IR. Kyle Juszczyk (69% snap share) had a larger role than expected, playing over Sermon on third downs and scoring a late touchdown. Sermon saved his night with his own goal-line TD in the fourth quarter. The 49ers haven’t shown much confidence in Sermon, who averaged 3.1 YPC and had just three more touches than Juszczyk, but Sermon showed enough to have a larger committee load if Mitchell returns in Week 4.

Bingo, at the end of the season you'll see you're wrong and I'm right—just as it always goes. Not even worth debating you on player evals
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#597 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Oct 9, 2021 9:04 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Bingo, at the end of the season you'll see you're wrong and I'm right—just as it always goes. Not even worth debating you on player evals
I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

1z, what happened to your first round QB talent from New Mexico State?
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#598 » by I_am_1z » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:36 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

TREY SERMON
RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

1z, what happened to your first round QB talent from New Mexico State?

Was never given a shot in the NFL
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#599 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:23 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#600 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Sep 3, 2022 3:50 pm

thesack12 wrote:LMAO, another freaking RB.

They didn't even need the first one

And now he’s been cut, smdh: :banghead: :curse: :censored:

TREY SERMON
RB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

49ers waived RB Trey Sermon.

The Niners had to make room for OL Blake Hance after claiming him off waivers earlier in the day. And Sermon is the odd man out. The 49ers are dumping last year's third-round pick and keeping 2022 third-rounder Tyrion Davis-Price and rookie UDFA Jordan Mason over him as the backups to Elijah Mitchell and Jeff Wilson. Sermon just hasn't looked very good since arriving in the NFL, running more like a fullback. Maybe he'll get another shot elsewhere or rejoin the team on the practice squad.

Draft like a Champion: Come prepared on Draft Day with our exclusive expert columns, reports, rankings, projections and so much more in our all-new Draft Guide powered by Rotoworld, which you can get for just $5 by using promo code DRAFT5.

Aug 31, 2022, 5:13 PM ET

Return to San Francisco 49ers