ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 17: 49ers @ Raiders

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Re: Week 17: 49ers @ Raiders 

Post#301 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 2, 2023 5:52 am

A win is a win but there are some concerns that popped up out of it.

Now I will say to be fair the team was due for a sloppy game like this and you look at every top team in the league they have a couple of games like this a season. Not to mention the Raiders are a more talented team than their record shows so we weren't just going to walk all over them.

I am concerned that this is the second week in a row that the secondary has given up big plays. They simply aren't holding out long enough for the pass rush to get home because the pressure was there but they just needed a second more to finish it with a sack. Lenoir seemed to have an especially rough day and they might need to consider giving him the hook in favor of Jenkins if he doesn't bounce back.

I won't say it was completely awful though because some of the plays were just great plays on the Raiders part especially Davante's. So sometimes you have to tip your cap and know that you're not going to completely shut down talented players.

The other defensive concern is the amount of space they gave Stidham to run. It's been a thorn in the defensive side for years now and they just gave up massive lanes to run. Now I'd like to think it's more due to not them not worrying about Stidham killing them with their legs and if we play the Eagles we wouldn't give up huge holes for Hurts to run through but they did have some massive holes that almost anyone could've ran through to get a 1st down.

Offensively I did want to see Purdy have to play from behind and get a win and in that regard he passed as he made some key plays to dig out of a 10 point hole and he setup what should've been a FG to win at regulation.

However his physical limitations were on display and I'm still of the opinion he'll settle into a fringe starter high end backup kind of QB. Kinda feels like a Doug Flutie type that just a scrappy guy that gets things done but doomed to fall just a bit short when it comes going toe to toe with the teams with high end talent.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,340

Post#302 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:04 am

Big YAC plays helped a lot.

Especially a 38-yard gain on a screen pass to CMC or the pass to Ray Ray.

Defenses which pursue and tackle better could really suffocate Purdy, force him to try to throw more down field.

That pick on a pass intended for Kittles, he was late because he took a couple more steps to wind up and pass still floated but led Kittles towards the right sideline, where the backside CB made the pick.

Either more down the middle or throw it higher and with more velocity and it's likely a big gain.

So lack of arm strength and talent may crop up again.

Shanahan said Purdy missed some potential big gains but kept coming back.

The 49ers weapons will have to carry the offense, from YAC, more than relying on Purdy to deliver long pass gains.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#303 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Jan 3, 2023 8:22 pm

Still hate that there are 17 games now. I'm ready for the playoffs. But it's going to help Deebo/Mitchell.

Purdy's impressive with his poise and even-keel demeanor. Yea, he's going to make some mistakes here and there but by and large he deals with defensive pressure pretty damn well.

If this version of Purdy was playing in the NFC title game last year, do we win?
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS

Return to San Francisco 49ers