Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Re: Week 2: 49ers @ Rams 

Post#401 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:12 pm

Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Jimmy won playoff games too. I’m talking about games against big boy teams.

Oh sorry, didn't realize only a small percentage of playoff games matter.

I thought the expectation for this team was to win a ring.

They have a chance with Purdy. With Lance it wasn't going to happen.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#402 » by Big J » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:20 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Dude, you have it the other way around. Lance has a much higher ceiling.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#403 » by CharityStripe34 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:28 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Highly doubt they wanted to insert Lance into the lineup to (potentially) waste a season in development.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Big J
General Manager

Post#404 » by Big J » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:31 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Highly doubt they wanted to insert Lance into the lineup to (potentially) waste a season in development.

They put him in the lineup to start last year.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#405 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:34 pm

Lance looks like he's still a couple years away. By that time, we'd have to pay him top dollar. He has the physical skills to carry a team, but so have dozens and dozens of failed NFL QBs. It takes more, and Brock has shown much more of "it" than Lance has.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#406 » by CharityStripe34 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:39 pm

Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Jimmy won playoff games too. I’m talking about games against big boy teams.

There's no way to know what may have happened had Purdy not gotten injured against Philly. 49ers may very well have won that game.

And yeah, it was annoying to see him miss the throw to Deebo and Aiyuk. The Jennings one even Shanahan said it was not the first two reads and didn't expect Purdy to attempt it. His 15-30 yard throws are great. He needs to work on his touch with the deep ball. Those were two plays that were well-designed that got open. Given both his youth and relative maturity/composure, I think he'll be fine in making those big plays. And with this team, it's not like he has to make 40-50 yard bombs routinely. Literally 1-2 a game if that. I still value his maturity, understanding of the system as well as how to read a defense. He's definitely better than Jimmy G, not only slightly. IMO.

Still, though, despite it all that 35 yarder back-shoulder to Jennings was a thing of beauty. And the offense responded well to put that game away with that TD drive ending with Deebo's awesome catch-and-run.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#407 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:56 pm

Big J wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:
Big J wrote:

And were quickly disappointed
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#408 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:57 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Dude, you got it backwards. Lance is rawer than day old eggs. He isn't close to being ready to lead anyone to a super bowl, good chance not ever
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#409 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:58 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Just gotta wait five years and he is the next Mahomes
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#410 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:05 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:

There's no way to know what may have happened had Purdy not gotten injured against Philly. 49ers may very well have won that game.

And yeah, it was annoying to see him miss the throw to Deebo and Aiyuk. The Jennings one even Shanahan said it was not the first two reads and didn't expect Purdy to attempt it. His 15-30 yard throws are great. He needs to work on his touch with the deep ball. Those were two plays that were well-designed that got open. Given both his youth and relative maturity/composure, I think he'll be fine in making those big plays. And with this team, it's not like he has to make 40-50 yard bombs routinely. Literally 1-2 a game if that. I still value his maturity, understanding of the system as well as how to read a defense. He's definitely better than Jimmy G, not only slightly. IMO.

Still, though, despite it all that 35 yarder back-shoulder to Jennings was a thing of beauty. And the offense responded well to put that game away with that TD drive ending with Deebo's awesome catch-and-run.

Yeah, Brees and Brady are both good examples of guys with weaker arm talent who became elite deep ball throwers. It wasn't about arm strength, it's about mastering the angles, the arc, etc. Definitely no guarantee Purdy gets there, but we have absolutely seen guys with a similar physical skillset improve in that area.
Big J
General Manager

Post#411 » by Big J » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:09 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:

He only played 5 quarters. That's not enough time to make a referendum on his career.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#412 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:11 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

He only played 5 quarters.

They watched him all offseason and during TC. They gave him the keys to the car and were quickly disappointed.
CharityStripe34
General Manager

Post#413 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:18 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Yeah, Brees and Brady are both good examples of guys with weaker arm talent who became elite deep ball throwers. It wasn't about arm strength, it's about mastering the angles, the arc, etc. Definitely no guarantee Purdy gets there, but we have absolutely seen guys with a similar physical skillset improve in that area.

Brees is a good comp. Would be incredible if Purdy develops into a version of Brees. Will have to wait and see.
Big J
General Manager

Post#414 » by Big J » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:33 am

CharityStripe34 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:

Brees is a good comp. Would be incredible if Purdy develops into a version of Brees. Will have to wait and see.

Gardner Minshew is a better comp.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#415 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:20 am

Big J wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Gardner Minshew is a better comp.

You.missed the point he was making. Not surprised
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#416 » by wco81 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:10 am

49ers really don’t have a vertical passing game so it’s rare that they get a WR open over the top, which is probably why the few times they get a WR with a step or two, people remember those missed chances.

They can still get chunk plays from RAC yards from Deebo and used to get them from Kittle. With the run threat, teams are bringing up a safety often so one WR will get single coverage and so far it’s been Aiyuk getting those chances.

Shanahan prefers sets with at least one TE and Jus or 2 TEs. A dynamic slot WR doesn’t seem in the cards because of the emphasis on the running game setting up the passing game, as opposed to using 3 WR sets. I think Kupp put up his biggest numbers operating out of the slot, often vs. nickel CBs.

So Kyle doesn’t rely on the QB as much. Maybe the exception was that one season at Atlanta when he had Ryan, Julio Jones. I thought Tony Gonzalez may still have been playing but he retired in 2013 and the SB team was 2016. But they played both Freeman and Coleman a lot, both getting a lot of carries. So that team probably threw more downfield, not as much horizontal or short routes as with the 49ers.

Return to San Francisco 49ers