ImageImageImageImageImage

Quarter Season Review

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Quarter Season Review 

Post#1 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 2, 2023 7:29 am

Guess with the added game it's not quite the quarter of a season yet but eh close enough.

Overall I'd say I've been impressed with the team. Under the Shanahan era the team historically starts the first part of the season slow and finishes strong but so far this has got to be the fastest start it's had outside of 2019.

Offensively Purdy is simply better than Jimmy G in every way and that with the combination of CMC being incredible the offense basically looks like it's firing nearly on all cylinders. CMC just makes the 2017 draft all the more infuriating because not only did we pass on Mahomes we could've had CMC for his prime years as well and I don't think it's a stretch to say if we had a healthy CMC in 2019 we win the SB that year.

This simply is the best offense we've seen in the Shanahan era and to me the major concerns are the right side of the line and if Shanahan can ease up on the CMC usage so he's ready for the playoffs.

Defensively has been mostly great except for some moments. I do tend to think we overreact when the defense just isn't on complete lockdown and gives up points. It's frustrating to watch yes but the NFL in 2023 it's just hard to completely shut down offenses and hold them to 10 or fewer. It might be my imagination but it feels like scoring is up across the board in the NFL this season.

I'll say I'm still concerned about the CB position as I don't love any of our CBs outside of Ward. I would not hate a trade for Surtain or Burns that fans have been discussing to bolster the defense as I think either of those guys could help shore up the D and give it more of a decisive edge.

At this point in the season it's clear that the 9ers are the best team in the NFL right now. Doesn't mean we'll win the Super Bowl and I still don't love the matchup with the Eagles if we had to face them but it's obvious right now it's overall the most complete team in the league.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Re: Quarter Season Review 

Post#2 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 2, 2023 10:02 am

I'd like to add I do like the way this team has been finishing games.

In previous years we'd let teams hang around or get momentum and end up sweating out a win or even losing games but so far this season they've done a pretty good job of quashing any rallies and putting games away. Looking at the 4th quarters this year they are outscoring opponents 37-6 with the 6 coming from the Rams game and even 3 of those 6 were from a last-second FG where they really didn't care if the Rams scored or not at that point.

Today's game was a good example of them putting teams down. Cardinals got that 99 yard drive which gave them momentum and the 9ers offense proceeded to march down the field get a TD the next drive, defense forces a punt, and the offense scores another TD to really ice the game for good.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#3 » by zman1 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 10:17 pm

Well, the cowboys will be our first real test. Steelers and giants suck, rams and cards are middling. Let's see what can do.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#4 » by thesack12 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 6:26 pm

Right side of the O-line remains a weak point, but they have at least been serviceable lately. Granted that hasn't been against high end talent, but improvement is good in any event. At the very least it helps those guys build confidence, and puts some decent things on tape for opposing defensed to see.

CB is a big time concern for me. Most especially Ambry Thomas. I have no idea why they insist on keeping him around, let alone consistently give him meaningful snaps. Every time that guy trots onto the field the opposing offense take notice and immediately targets him and way more often than not they have a high degree of success doing so. Seriously how many big plays does that guy have to give up before they realize that he's unplayable? I honestly don't know how any random guy with even fringe NFL talent could be worse than what Ambry Thomas is doing out there?
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#5 » by Samurai » Fri Oct 6, 2023 7:08 pm

thesack12 wrote:Right side of the O-line remains a weak point, but they have at least been serviceable lately. Granted that hasn't been against high end talent, but improvement is good in any event. At the very least it helps those guys build confidence, and puts some decent things on tape for opposing defensed to see.

CB is a big time concern for me. Most especially Ambry Thomas. I have no idea why they insist on keeping him around, let alone consistently give him meaningful snaps. Every time that guy trots onto the field the opposing offense take notice and immediately targets him and way more often than not they have a high degree of success doing so. Seriously how many big plays does that guy have to give up before they realize that he's unplayable? I honestly don't know how any random guy with even fringe NFL talent could be worse than what Ambry Thomas is doing out there?

I am hoping that Womack can come back soon and keep Ambry as a special teams guy.

Return to San Francisco 49ers