ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Off-Season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#441 » by Scoots1994 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:54 am

OT is tough, because it's not just taking a flyer on a possible OT that they don't really like, it means passing on a player they DO like.

I'm sure they are looking at every OL available all the time to see what they can get to improve the position.

That said it would have been nice if they had found something the last couple years rather than just keep pushing it out another year and another and another.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#442 » by Jikkle » Tue May 14, 2024 10:01 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:Jared Goff just got a 4 year, $212 million deal. $178 million guaranteed. Yikes. That is over $50 million per year. What is this going to do for Purdy if he continues to play well?

If Purdy puts in another season like he did last season Goff's contract will be the floor for a new deal.

Purdy is simply better than Goff so if I'm representation why would you take a penny less than Goff?

It's unlikely but Purdy seems like a down-to-earth guy and maybe he does give the team a bit of a discount because he figures over $160 million guaranteed is plenty of money to buy a farm to retire on not to mention if things go well he'll be in line for another contract or two in his career.

But I think the question with Purdy's deal is how it's structured and if he's willing to punt some of the money down the road a bit. Like I've mentioned before in this thread we have a lot of big contracts falling off after 2025 between Deebo, Kittle, CMC, and Trent possibly retiring by that time and those guys are either going to be playing for someone else or playing here for less money so that will free up a lot of breathing room down the road. If Purdy takes less early on in the deal that might allow the 9ers to keep the window open a little longer with this group before having to do a mini rebuild and transition to the next window.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#443 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue May 14, 2024 4:43 pm

The 49ers signed 33 year old Titans OT Chris Hubbard. He missed the last few games of the season due to injury. He signed a contract for something like $1.5 million. He has a PFF score of 69.4 which is pretty good. Not sure why he went so cheap. If he is healthy this could be a good signing. His experience could be a plus
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#444 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:The 49ers signed 33 year old Titans OT Chris Hubbard. He missed the last few games of the season due to injury. He signed a contract for something like $1.5 million. He has a PFF score of 69.4 which is pretty good. Not sure why he went so cheap. If he is healthy this could be a good signing. His experience could be a plus

Nice developmental prospect to groom behind Trent Williams. Ha! Kidding. He's old, but as said, he was solid when he was on the field last year. At this point, we need bodies to get through training camp.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#445 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 14, 2024 5:22 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:Jared Goff just got a 4 year, $212 million deal. $178 million guaranteed. Yikes. That is over $50 million per year. What is this going to do for Purdy if he continues to play well?

If Purdy puts in another season like he did last season Goff's contract will be the floor for a new deal.

Purdy is simply better than Goff so if I'm representation why would you take a penny less than Goff?

It's unlikely but Purdy seems like a down-to-earth guy and maybe he does give the team a bit of a discount because he figures over $160 million guaranteed is plenty of money to buy a farm to retire on not to mention if things go well he'll be in line for another contract or two in his career.

But I think the question with Purdy's deal is how it's structured and if he's willing to punt some of the money down the road a bit. Like I've mentioned before in this thread we have a lot of big contracts falling off after 2025 between Deebo, Kittle, CMC, and Trent possibly retiring by that time and those guys are either going to be playing for someone else or playing here for less money so that will free up a lot of breathing room down the road. If Purdy takes less early on in the deal that might allow the 9ers to keep the window open a little longer with this group before having to do a mini rebuild and transition to the next window.

Yeah, that throws a bit of a wrench in things. Goff is a solid quarterback who I think is often underrated, but he can't play under pressure. Like at all. He played behind one of the best OLs in the league last year, and will again this year, so at least his team understands his limitations. But as said, Purdy is the better all-around player pretty easily in my view (granted there are plenty out there who disagree).

The saving grace with Purdy is that we have him in 2025 on a dirt cheap contract. We can franchise him in 2026 if we have to. So he has more incentive to take a little less money or a bit more creative structure to get his deal done this offseason. That said, he's already played at a high level on an absurdly cheap contract, so he may not be particularly willing to do the team a solid. Hard to see him holding out, and I assume the team will do right by him, but we are also entering a penny pinching phase where every dollar counts.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#446 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:36 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:The 49ers signed 33 year old Titans OT Chris Hubbard. He missed the last few games of the season due to injury. He signed a contract for something like $1.5 million. He has a PFF score of 69.4 which is pretty good. Not sure why he went so cheap. If he is healthy this could be a good signing. His experience could be a plus

Nice developmental prospect to groom behind Trent Williams. Ha! Kidding. He's old, but as said, he was solid when he was on the field last year. At this point, we need bodies to get through training camp.

He is old but not ancient. Maybe got a couple of years in him, wishful thinking. When I look at the OT depth, Moore and Burfurd, those guys have not been very good overall and don't exude much confidence. Then we have late round draft picks that have yet to play a down in the NFL. No idea how good or bad they might be at the NFL level.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#447 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 14, 2024 8:14 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

He is old but not ancient. Maybe got a couple of years in him, wishful thinking. When I look at the OT depth, Moore and Burfurd, those guys have not been very good overall and don't exude much confidence. Then we have late round draft picks that have yet to play a down in the NFL. No idea how good or bad they might be at the NFL level.

Sure, we need depth and there's a decent chance he makes the roster. Worst case, he probably makes the practice squad so we can keep a young player but have someone to sub in if Trent gets hurt.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#448 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 14, 2024 9:05 pm

Corey Luciano one of the cuts to make room on the roster. Thought Luciano had a shot to at least make the PS, but hopefully it's a good indication of what we saw from our young IOL (Puni, Kingston, and Nugent).
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#449 » by Samurai » Wed May 15, 2024 3:02 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

69.4 is decent; better than McKivitz, Brendal, Banks, and Burford. But lower than Moore and Moore certainly didn't impress me on the eye test. If the score is lower than Moore, its hard for me to see him moving the needle much at all.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#450 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 15, 2024 4:41 pm

Samurai wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

69.4 is decent; better than McKivitz, Brendal, Banks, and Burford. But lower than Moore and Moore certainly didn't impress me on the eye test. If the score is lower than Moore, its hard for me to see him moving the needle much at all.

PFF grades are helpful, but not the be-all, end-all. I would expect McKivitz to start, but this is at least solid depth in the event of an injury.

Re: the OL as a unit, Banks was playing well before he dealt with injuries that clearly hampered his play. He ended the season very poorly, but the hope is that he will be fully recovered and will again be a plus starter. I don't think Burford will see the field at RG this year. Feliciano or Puni will lock down that role, though maybe Burford competes as the swing OL. Brendel is the tough one. The FO and especially Foerster seem to really like him, but he's a liability. A couple times a game, he just blows the play. In a perfect world, we might see Puni take over RG and Feliciano move to center. I don't think that's very likely, but I think it would strengthen two spots, and with Banks improving, it could make our biggest weakness into something resembling a strength.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#451 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:51 pm

Samurai wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I suspect Moore's PFF score is somewhat skewed or misleading because of his lack of sample size. He's hardly played this year.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,911

Post#452 » by SK21209 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:11 pm

Leaked schedule so far:

Week 1: vs. Jets (MNF)
Week 2: at Vikings (unconfirmed)
Week 3:
Week 4:
Week 5:
Week 6: at Seahawks (TNF)
Week 7: vs. Chiefs
Week 8: vs. Cowboys (SNF)
Week 9:
Week 10: at Buccaneers (unconfirmed)
Week 11:
Week 12:
Week 13: at Bills (SNF)
Week 14:
Week 15: vs. Rams (TNF)
Week 16:
Week 17: vs. Lions (MNF)
Week 18:

I'm going to be nervous about the Jets on opening night for the next 4 months, but facing Darnold or McCarthy the next week would be nice. Obviously that Week 6-8 stretch is going to be tough, although its nice to have 10 days off for the Chiefs.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#453 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 15, 2024 5:43 pm

SK21209 wrote:Leaked schedule so far:

Week 3:
Week 4:
Week 5:
Week 9:
Week 11:
Week 12:
Week 14:
Week 16:
Week 18:

I'm going to be nervous about the Jets on opening night for the next 4 months, but facing Darnold or McCarthy the next week would be nice. Obviously that Week 6-8 stretch is going to be tough, although its nice to have 10 days off for the Chiefs.

I'm seeing at Packers in week 12 (11/24) and then at Bills the following week. Not the worst possible time for those games, but certainly would have preferred those to come earlier in the schedule when the weather wouldn't likely be as much of a factor.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,911

Post#454 » by SK21209 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:55 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
SK21209 wrote:Leaked schedule so far:

Week 3:
Week 4:
Week 5:
Week 9:
Week 11:
Week 12:
Week 14:
Week 16:
Week 18:

I'm seeing at Packers in week 12 (11/24) and then at Bills the following week. Not the worst possible time for those games, but certainly would have preferred those to come earlier in the schedule when the weather wouldn't likely be as much of a factor.

Yeah, would be great if those were in September but those are two pretty great bookends to the week of Thanksgiving. More so than any game, I just want to know when the bye week is. Last year the team really wanted to assert itself early and grab that #1 seed, I think this year will be more about just getting some of the older guys to the playoffs healthy.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#455 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 15, 2024 9:24 pm

Don't think it was mentioned alongside the signing of Hubbard, but the Niners also signed DT Shakel Brown, who looked good at the rookie minicamp. He was an UDFA for the Titans last year, but got hurt. Somewhat interesting player at a position where we are very thin. A little undersized at 6'3", 295 (last year, anyway) with 32" arms (not great, but okay for an interior guy) and smallish hands. But a 4.9 40, very solid 4.44 SS, and 32 1/2" vertical are all good numbers. Broad jump and three-cone about average. 30 reps on the bench also solid. He's got a legit chance to at least stick on the practice squad.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#456 » by arich35 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:45 am

Man we have a tough schedule. KC, DAL, BUF, & SEA all coming off a bye when we face them. Also have to travel to GB and BUF with Thanksgiving in between (cold weather games)
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#457 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 16, 2024 6:22 pm

Kind of in disbelief that we actually have even more of a deficit in terms of rest time this year (22 days) compared to last year (20 days). WTF, schedule makers?

And Chiefs get maybe their two toughest games (us and Baltimore) coming off a bye, where Andy Reid is basically unbeatable.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#458 » by Scoots1994 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:21 am

What happend to Burford's game? Usually OL get better by their 20th game, but Burford seems to have been sliding since about game 8 of his career.

I know Forester loved McKivitz (which is why they tried so little to find an RT last year and this year), but 45 games is enough of a sample to think he's not going to suddenly become a different player.

This line is odd. One ancient stud, a few with some potential, and a bunch of maybe coulds.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#459 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 17, 2024 4:36 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:What happend to Burford's game? Usually OL get better by their 20th game, but Burford seems to have been sliding since about game 8 of his career.

I know Forester loved McKivitz (which is why they tried so little to find an RT last year and this year), but 45 games is enough of a sample to think he's not going to suddenly become a different player.

This line is odd. One ancient stud, a few with some potential, and a bunch of maybe coulds.

Yeah, it was odd. The expectation was that Burford would improve last year. Maybe even make a big jump. Instead, he basically deteriorated, culminating with a super bowl-losing performance. He probably lost his shot to start this year, but he'll have a chance to stick around as a swing OL. It could be that OT is his better position, which would be fine as it's harder to find quality players there anyway.

McKivitz is an interesting case. He's mediocre, but he's also cheap, and even mediocre OT play is hard to find. I don't have a huge problem with him staying at RT if we can strengthen other spots, but I had hoped to find a replacement for him this offseason who could move to the left side when Trent retires.

There are some interesting pieces along the interior, but I've been saying that for years now (admittedly often about intriguing UDFAs who haven't panned out). Banks hasn't really clicked yet, other than a couple games to start this season. If he plays well this year, he's a FA and will probably price himself out. And if he doesn't, then he's got four not great years in the books and we should look to upgrade him. I really want to upgrade Brendel, who has okay overall stats, but will just get destroyed at times and blow up whole drives. In the short term, I'd love to put Puni at RG and Feliciano at C, but I don't think the FO will do that. Much more likely we just trot out the same OL we had to end last season, and maybe Puni gets some reps at RG as the season progresses.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#460 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 17, 2024 4:44 pm

Kind of feel like PFF's content is going into the crapper. They have had recent articles that claim the following:

We have the best TE room in the league. Now, look, we may have the best all-around starting TE in the league in Kittle. He's great in all facets. But there are other teams with comparable starting TEs. And we literally have NOTHING behind Kittle. Sure, maybe Latu gets his head out of his ass this year and shows...anything...but I wouldn't count on it. Willis is a mediocre backup at best whose future might be at FB. I don't think we have a player at the position other than Kittle who is clearly NFL material.

We have the best LB room in the league. Maybe. More defensible than TE, certainly. When healthy, Warner and Greenlaw are both probably top-5 off-ball LBs. But Greenlaw isn't healthy. We've got decent depth with some interesting young players, but it's hard for me to believe we're tops right now, even at a position where most teams don't have even one great player.

And perhaps the most outrageous take, Drake Jackson is a breakout candidate. Sure, it could happen. And there aren't a lot of obvious opportunities for playing time for other young players on our roster. But Jackson is definitely not the guy I would pick. He had one good game last year, and then - for the second year in a row - basically fell apart. Couldn't make an impact and we made two fairly significant in-season moves to upgrade his position, and then got injured yet again. He's got a LONG way to go to even get this FO to trust him, and right now, I'd take Beal over him as a breakout candidate AT HIS POSITION. And maybe Gross-Matos, though harder to call a former high second-rounder a breakout.

Anyway, I usually like PFFs stuff, but just can't really agree with any of these.

Return to San Francisco 49ers