ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Off-Season

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#461 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 17, 2024 5:02 pm

Been listening to some Larry Kreuger lately, and he's got a kind of curious take on Pearsall. He doesn't think he has the physical tools to be a really good player in the league. On its face, I don't think it's that far-fetched. Although Pearsall tested as an elite athlete, other than his change-of-direction skills, he doesn't really play that way. He doesn't really outrun DBs, and he isn't generally outleaping them to bring down contested balls (though he does catch plenty of contested balls). I think it's entirely possible he's more of a complementary piece than an impact player throughout his career.

But Kreuger keeps emphasizing Pearsall's lack of elite explosiveness as a reason why he won't ever be a number one guy. And while I'll acknowledge that Pearsall is not as explosive as his testing suggests, I also look at a league FULL of elite WRs who aren't particularly explosive and wonder why that one thing would hold Pearsall back. Yes, Tyreek Hill may be the most dangerous WR in the league right now, and he is as explosive as they come. But he's something of an exception in terms of an elite speed player who is also an elite WR.

Players like Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Cooper Kupp, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams, etc. have all flourished despite pretty mundane (for the NFL) explosiveness. They bring different strengths, but none of them is an elite speed player. None of them is particularly physically imposing (though they are all larger than Pearsall, at least in terms of bulk). They win with good routes, instincts, a flow to their game. I'm definitely not saying Pearsall will get there, but I don't see that we can rule it out at this point.

Kreuger has also talked about him in a somewhat disparaging way about Pearsall as something of a possession receiver who will get open and catch a lot of balls, but again, may not make huge plays. That's basically describing Lamb, St. Brown, Kupp, and Allen. They've all been incredibly productive. Just seems like an odd thing to get hung up on. If Pearsall can even come close to Kupp or St. Brown, he'll be an excellent pick.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#462 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 17, 2024 5:06 pm

In terms of measurables, Pearsall is a slightly larger Chris Olave, and Olave has been quite good so far in his career. In terms of size and style of play, he's arguably most similar to Adam Thielen, and he's had some excellent years. I'm not confident Pearsall will get the volume to do what those guys have in the near future, but I think he has the ability to be that type of player.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#463 » by Samurai » Fri May 17, 2024 5:37 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote: In the short term, I'd love to put Puni at RG and Feliciano at C, but I don't think the FO will do that. Much more likely we just trot out the same OL we had to end last season, and maybe Puni gets some reps at RG as the season progresses.

Curious as to why you feel Feliciano at C would be an upgrade over Brendel. PFF grades Feliciano as our best OL last season other than Trent, but that was while playing as a G. He played C for the Giants in 22 and his grade of 58 was worse than Brendel's 66.3 last season. I agree that Brendel makes his share of drive-killing mistakes, just not sure that Feliciano as a C would be an upgrade. And since he has more experience at G than C, my guess is that Shanahan would prefer a veteran C with more experience since the C has to make the blocking calls at the line of scrimmage to protect a still young and inexperienced QB. I like the Puni pick but still wish we had drafted a legit T and a legit C in the draft.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#464 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 17, 2024 5:51 pm

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote: In the short term, I'd love to put Puni at RG and Feliciano at C, but I don't think the FO will do that. Much more likely we just trot out the same OL we had to end last season, and maybe Puni gets some reps at RG as the season progresses.

Curious as to why you feel Feliciano at C would be an upgrade over Brendel. PFF grades Feliciano as our best OL last season other than Trent, but that was while playing as a G. He played C for the Giants in 22 and his grade of 58 was worse than Brendel's 66.3 last season. I agree that Brendel makes his share of drive-killing mistakes, just not sure that Feliciano as a C would be an upgrade. And since he has more experience at G than C, my guess is that Shanahan would prefer a veteran C with more experience since the C has to make the blocking calls at the line of scrimmage to protect a still young and inexperienced QB. I like the Puni pick but still wish we had drafted a legit T and a legit C in the draft.

I just prefer Feliciano to Brendel as a general proposition, but as you note, that's based on his play last year at another position. I wasn't aware of the PFF grade for him at center with the Giants, and that is something of a concern, though that was a much worse team than ours, and OL play is largely influenced by what happens around it. As said, I don't expect changes this year, but I think it's pretty clear we need to dramatically improve the interior OL play in particular to get back to the SB this year.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#465 » by Jikkle » Fri May 17, 2024 7:59 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Been listening to some Larry Kreuger lately, and he's got a kind of curious take on Pearsall. He doesn't think he has the physical tools to be a really good player in the league. On its face, I don't think it's that far-fetched. Although Pearsall tested as an elite athlete, other than his change-of-direction skills, he doesn't really play that way. He doesn't really outrun DBs, and he isn't generally outleaping them to bring down contested balls (though he does catch plenty of contested balls). I think it's entirely possible he's more of a complementary piece than an impact player throughout his career.

But Kreuger keeps emphasizing Pearsall's lack of elite explosiveness as a reason why he won't ever be a number one guy. And while I'll acknowledge that Pearsall is not as explosive as his testing suggests, I also look at a league FULL of elite WRs who aren't particularly explosive and wonder why that one thing would hold Pearsall back. Yes, Tyreek Hill may be the most dangerous WR in the league right now, and he is as explosive as they come. But he's something of an exception in terms of an elite speed player who is also an elite WR.

Players like Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Cooper Kupp, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams, etc. have all flourished despite pretty mundane (for the NFL) explosiveness. They bring different strengths, but none of them is an elite speed player. None of them is particularly physically imposing (though they are all larger than Pearsall, at least in terms of bulk). They win with good routes, instincts, a flow to their game. I'm definitely not saying Pearsall will get there, but I don't see that we can rule it out at this point.

Kreuger has also talked about him in a somewhat disparaging way about Pearsall as something of a possession receiver who will get open and catch a lot of balls, but again, may not make huge plays. That's basically describing Lamb, St. Brown, Kupp, and Allen. They've all been incredibly productive. Just seems like an odd thing to get hung up on. If Pearsall can even come close to Kupp or St. Brown, he'll be an excellent pick.

I don't think Pearsall will ever be what people think of as a true #1 but Pearsall will have his niche and it happens to be a niche that Purdy loves throwing and Klye loves dialing up.

As you mentioned the league is filled with guys who aren't top-tier athletes that are very successful and the league has had top-tier athletes that have done absolutely nothing.

Whether Pearsall thrives or fails remains to be seen but I have 0 concerns about his physical makeup and I don't care if he isn't an outside threat if he's a monster in the middle of the field. Sure that 10 for 180-yard stat line two or three times a season is great but I'll take the guy that consistently gets the 1st down on 3rd and 7.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#466 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:42 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Been listening to some Larry Kreuger lately, and he's got a kind of curious take on Pearsall. He doesn't think he has the physical tools to be a really good player in the league. On its face, I don't think it's that far-fetched. Although Pearsall tested as an elite athlete, other than his change-of-direction skills, he doesn't really play that way. He doesn't really outrun DBs, and he isn't generally outleaping them to bring down contested balls (though he does catch plenty of contested balls). I think it's entirely possible he's more of a complementary piece than an impact player throughout his career.

I don't think Pearsall will ever be what people think of as a true #1 but Pearsall will have his niche and it happens to be a niche that Purdy loves throwing and Klye loves dialing up.

As you mentioned the league is filled with guys who aren't top-tier athletes that are very successful and the league has had top-tier athletes that have done absolutely nothing.

Whether Pearsall thrives or fails remains to be seen but I have 0 concerns about his physical makeup and I don't care if he isn't an outside threat if he's a monster in the middle of the field. Sure that 10 for 180-yard stat line two or three times a season is great but I'll take the guy that consistently gets the 1st down on 3rd and 7.

This 100%
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#467 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri May 17, 2024 8:44 pm

You know what they say about opinions. Jikkle's last response pretty much says it all. Until these players hit the field, no one knows either way how they will turn out. I tend to agree that he does not appear to be a true No.1 but could end up a good second WR, possibly Deebo's replacement.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#468 » by Scoots1994 » Fri May 17, 2024 10:45 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:What happend to Burford's game? Usually OL get better by their 20th game, but Burford seems to have been sliding since about game 8 of his career.

I know Forester loved McKivitz (which is why they tried so little to find an RT last year and this year), but 45 games is enough of a sample to think he's not going to suddenly become a different player.

This line is odd. One ancient stud, a few with some potential, and a bunch of maybe coulds.

Yeah, it was odd. The expectation was that Burford would improve last year. Maybe even make a big jump. Instead, he basically deteriorated, culminating with a super bowl-losing performance. He probably lost his shot to start this year, but he'll have a chance to stick around as a swing OL. It could be that OT is his better position, which would be fine as it's harder to find quality players there anyway.

McKivitz is an interesting case. He's mediocre, but he's also cheap, and even mediocre OT play is hard to find. I don't have a huge problem with him staying at RT if we can strengthen other spots, but I had hoped to find a replacement for him this offseason who could move to the left side when Trent retires.

There are some interesting pieces along the interior, but I've been saying that for years now (admittedly often about intriguing UDFAs who haven't panned out). Banks hasn't really clicked yet, other than a couple games to start this season. If he plays well this year, he's a FA and will probably price himself out. And if he doesn't, then he's got four not great years in the books and we should look to upgrade him. I really want to upgrade Brendel, who has okay overall stats, but will just get destroyed at times and blow up whole drives. In the short term, I'd love to put Puni at RG and Feliciano at C, but I don't think the FO will do that. Much more likely we just trot out the same OL we had to end last season, and maybe Puni gets some reps at RG as the season progresses.

I talked to a friend who thinks Nugent will be the starting center by the end of the year. Seems a REALLY long shot to me, particularly at that position on a team with high expectations.

Kingston doesn't do much for me. I like Puni (and think it's an ironic name). Frankly players who are borderline NFL players are the sort of players who can have a really good game or two then fall apart for 4 games. Their margin for success is just smaller. That said it's possible we'll be really surprised in a good way.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#469 » by Scoots1994 » Fri May 17, 2024 11:07 pm

Pearsall seems to me the perfect example of a player where there isn't a consensus among the teams or scouts so the "draft experts" in media tend to crap on them because it's safer. Pearsall to me has a few things that are really rare in drafted WRs ... he's really smart, has great hands, understands complex route trees, is a willing blocker, he doesn't jump to catch when he doesn't need to. With that in mind he seems to be a great fit for Shanahan and Purdy. I don't know that he'll ever be a 1000 yard WR but it wouldn't surprise me if he was a high receptions per game player.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#470 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat May 18, 2024 2:15 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:What happend to Burford's game? Usually OL get better by their 20th game, but Burford seems to have been sliding since about game 8 of his career.

I know Forester loved McKivitz (which is why they tried so little to find an RT last year and this year), but 45 games is enough of a sample to think he's not going to suddenly become a different player.

This line is odd. One ancient stud, a few with some potential, and a bunch of maybe coulds.

Yeah, it was odd. The expectation was that Burford would improve last year. Maybe even make a big jump. Instead, he basically deteriorated, culminating with a super bowl-losing performance. He probably lost his shot to start this year, but he'll have a chance to stick around as a swing OL. It could be that OT is his better position, which would be fine as it's harder to find quality players there anyway.

McKivitz is an interesting case. He's mediocre, but he's also cheap, and even mediocre OT play is hard to find. I don't have a huge problem with him staying at RT if we can strengthen other spots, but I had hoped to find a replacement for him this offseason who could move to the left side when Trent retires.

There are some interesting pieces along the interior, but I've been saying that for years now (admittedly often about intriguing UDFAs who haven't panned out). Banks hasn't really clicked yet, other than a couple games to start this season. If he plays well this year, he's a FA and will probably price himself out. And if he doesn't, then he's got four not great years in the books and we should look to upgrade him. I really want to upgrade Brendel, who has okay overall stats, but will just get destroyed at times and blow up whole drives. In the short term, I'd love to put Puni at RG and Feliciano at C, but I don't think the FO will do that. Much more likely we just trot out the same OL we had to end last season, and maybe Puni gets some reps at RG as the season progresses.

I talked to a friend who thinks Nugent will be the starting center by the end of the year. Seems a REALLY long shot to me, particularly at that position on a team with high expectations.

Kingston doesn't do much for me. I like Puni (and think it's an ironic name). Frankly players who are borderline NFL players are the sort of players who can have a really good game or two then fall apart for 4 games. Their margin for success is just smaller. That said it's possible we'll be really surprised in a good way.

I would be pretty surprised if Nugent is starting by the end of the year, but we'll see. Brendel is an UDFA, so it wouldn't exactly be crazy. Nugent is short, but otherwise his measurables are in line with starting centers around the league, so he's got a shot. I'd love to see it, but he'll likely be competing against Kingston at a minimum, and possibly Puni too, in addition to Brendel.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#471 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 21, 2024 9:19 pm

Kind of love the Lombardi-Cohn feud at this point.

Lombardi: Pearsall had a great day with several receptions.

Cohn: The front office wants Pearsall to look good, so they put Ambry Thomas on him.

Priceless.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#472 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 21, 2024 9:22 pm

On a serious note about our DBs, lots of our recent additions are man coverage guys. Really interested to see if we actually go more heavily in that direction. Ward is good at man. Thomas was an effective press-man corner in college, and you could argue a lot of his struggles have come when asked to play off. Luter was primarily a man corner in college. And Green is perhaps the most pronounced. He was an excellent man-coverage guy in college, but really struggled in zone.

Something to watch.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#473 » by Jikkle » Wed May 22, 2024 7:44 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:On a serious note about our DBs, lots of our recent additions are man coverage guys. Really interested to see if we actually go more heavily in that direction. Ward is good at man. Thomas was an effective press-man corner in college, and you could argue a lot of his struggles have come when asked to play off. Luter was primarily a man corner in college. And Green is perhaps the most pronounced. He was an excellent man-coverage guy in college, but really struggled in zone.

Something to watch.

I think they've wanted to go that direction for a while but the players just haven't been able to execute it well enough. DeMeco and Wilks both tried to play more aggressive with the secondary but both ended up going back to zone once it didn't work out.

It makes sense because the defenses that shut us down are the ones that press us at the line and get pressure with their line so why not do the same.

We were 3rd in the league with QB hits at 122 but 18th in terms of sack percentage at 7.2 so if the secondary can force the QB to hold the ball just a little bit longer we should see a lot more sacks.

Don't get me wrong there were issues with the defensive line getting stonewalled which is one reason we saw them give it a mini revamp in free agency but there were a lot of times the pressure was there but because guys played like 5 yards off their man the QB was able to get a completion. It's why I couldn't stand watching this team on 3rd down because you knew if the offense needed like 6 yards for a conversion we were going to watch their receivers get a 4 yard completion and get 2 yards YAC because of that cushion.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#474 » by Scoots1994 » Wed May 22, 2024 2:12 pm

Absolutely more man is the plan. They've been letting stronger zone players go and adding stronger man players for a few years now. That would also explain the continuing investment at safety since they are more critical in man schemes.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#475 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 22, 2024 3:48 pm

Reports in from the first day of OTAs. Nothing earth shattering, of course, but some things that are interesting to note in terms of positions and absences.

Puni at RG, where he has a legit shot to start. Burford as the starter in that spot for now, though. Also interesting, Feliciano at starting center while Brendel rehabs. He's got a chance to stake a claim to the spot, though as said previously, I think they most likely go back to Brendel once healthy.

Yiadom was the third CB (though with Ward out, Thomas was "starting"), playing outside while Lenoir moved inside. I think there's a good chance Thomas finally gets the boot this year. Yiadom and Ya-Sin may both be better than him on the outside, not to mention Luter hopefully coming along in his second season. The CB battle should be one of the better ones this offseason.

Pearsall was playing in Aiyuk's spot, and got at least some starting reps. I want him to be able to play all three WR spots, but in the short term, I think his better position will be flanker or slot. We'll see what happens with that. I'm not confident the Niners always put their receivers in their best spots (not Aiyuk, Deebo, and Jennings, who are perfectly suited to their positions, but the backups).

In terms of absences, the two that are pretty striking are Cowing and Latu. Sure hoping Cowing isn't hurt after one practice. It's possible he's missing for a legit purpose, but you really want your young players at these OTAs to get up to speed and get extra reps with some vets out. The Latu absence is the real head-scratcher. He can't still be hurt, can he? And if he's not, WTF dude? You've got no margin for error if you want to make the roster this year. Golden opportunity, as we have literally no TE depth, but you'll blow it if you have another camp like last year.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#476 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 22, 2024 3:49 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:On a serious note about our DBs, lots of our recent additions are man coverage guys. Really interested to see if we actually go more heavily in that direction. Ward is good at man. Thomas was an effective press-man corner in college, and you could argue a lot of his struggles have come when asked to play off. Luter was primarily a man corner in college. And Green is perhaps the most pronounced. He was an excellent man-coverage guy in college, but really struggled in zone.

Something to watch.

I think they've wanted to go that direction for a while but the players just haven't been able to execute it well enough. DeMeco and Wilks both tried to play more aggressive with the secondary but both ended up going back to zone once it didn't work out.

It makes sense because the defenses that shut us down are the ones that press us at the line and get pressure with their line so why not do the same.

We were 3rd in the league with QB hits at 122 but 18th in terms of sack percentage at 7.2 so if the secondary can force the QB to hold the ball just a little bit longer we should see a lot more sacks.

Don't get me wrong there were issues with the defensive line getting stonewalled which is one reason we saw them give it a mini revamp in free agency but there were a lot of times the pressure was there but because guys played like 5 yards off their man the QB was able to get a completion. It's why I couldn't stand watching this team on 3rd down because you knew if the offense needed like 6 yards for a conversion we were going to watch their receivers get a 4 yard completion and get 2 yards YAC because of that cushion.

Yeah, it'd be great if we could do it. I should add that Ya-Sin in particular is much better in man. Not as confident about Yiadom (in that I just don't know, not that I don't have confidence in his abilities).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#477 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 23, 2024 4:59 pm

Couple reporters have mentioned Mason Pline looking the part. That's easier to do in shorts and a t-shirt for a former b-ball player. The real test is how he holds up with the pads on. But apparently he looks big and athletic. And again, it's a position with very little established depth. He has a great chance to stick on the practice squad, at least.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,626

Post#478 » by Harry Palmer » Fri May 24, 2024 12:02 am

Brenden’s knee arthritis is gonna keep him out of OTA’s at least. Which is just one more reason why DRAFTING OFFENSIVE LINEMEN might have been a good idea. I know, we are all a choir on this issue.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#479 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 24, 2024 6:31 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Brenden’s knee arthritis is gonna keep him out of OTA’s at least. Which is just one more reason why DRAFTING OFFENSIVE LINEMEN might have been a good idea. I know, we are all a choir on this issue.

To be fair, they brought in three guys (Puni, Kingston, and Nugent) who could all compete at the center spot at some point down the road. And they brought back Feliciano on FA. We addressed IOL in a satisfactory way, it's the OT spots that remain a huge concern.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#480 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 24, 2024 6:39 pm

Update on Latu in that he's apparently there, but not healthy. That's worrisome. I didn't think he really had an injury last year, but they were effectively making something up to keep him around. So what's up now? Dude needs to get onto the field.

Drake Jackson also still recovering from meniscus surgery is a concern. Dude needs to get stronger, but presumably he can't do much lower-body stuff with the injury. He'd better have dramatically improved his bench, at least....

Return to San Francisco 49ers