Re: Kyle Shanahan 

Post#2 » by Dodub » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:29 am

Happiest day of your life lmao.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#3 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:34 am

Dodub wrote:Happiest day of your life lmao.

Lol :lol:
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#4 » by I_am_1z » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:34 am

Randy Moss and Steve Young bashing the playcalling. What do these guys know??
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#5 » by Dodub » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:43 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

He wet himself with excitement when the Chiefs scored to go ahead. He couldn’t wait to get on here after he finished his celebration
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#6 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:47 am

Dodub wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

He wet himself with excitement when the Chiefs scored to go ahead. He couldn’t wait to get on here after he finished his celebration

I believe it.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#7 » by Bald Bull » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:00 am

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#8 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:47 am

1Z's extreme derp notwithstanding...

1. WTF is up with Shannahan not going for points before half time? He did it again! Another field goal, and that game could have had a different outcome. That's inexcusable. :noway:

2. Going for a home-run ball with 1:30 left on the clock? Even if Sanders scored, the Chiefs would've had more than enough time to come back & win. :crazy:

3. Settling for field goals against the friggn' chiefs is not a winning strategy. If it's 4th & 2 inside the 35, you friggn' go for it against that team. If you only make it half the time, that's 3.5 points per drive instead of 3. It's not like the Niners were playing a team with a stingy D and a crappy offense. :roll:

That said, I'm much more disappointed in Jimmy than in Shannahan. If he can't win it with this great of a supporting cast, I don't know that he's ever going to.

But I'm the most disappointed in... none other than... MIKE FREEKING PERSON!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: It's his fault Jimmy threw that pick. CUT THAT MAN!!! They should've started Brunskill. :noway:
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#9 » by a8bil » Mon Feb 3, 2020 9:47 pm

NinerSickness wrote:1Z's extreme derp notwithstanding...

1. WTF is up with Shannahan not going for points before half time? He did it again! Another field goal, and that game could have had a different outcome. That's inexcusable. :noway:

2. Going for a home-run ball with 1:30 left on the clock? Even if Sanders scored, the Chiefs would've had more than enough time to come back & win. :crazy:

3. Settling for field goals against the friggn' chiefs is not a winning strategy. If it's 4th & 2 inside the 35, you friggn' go for it against that team. If you only make it half the time, that's 3.5 points per drive instead of 3. It's not like the Niners were playing a team with a stingy D and a crappy offense. :roll:

That said, I'm much more disappointed in Jimmy than in Shannahan. If he can't win it with this great of a supporting cast, I don't know that he's ever going to.

But I'm the most disappointed in... none other than... MIKE FREEKING PERSON!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: It's his fault Jimmy threw that pick. CUT THAT MAN!!! They should've started Brunskill. :noway:

I approve this message. Moreso, on point #2, you're at 3rd and 10 and you know if you don't connect on that play, it's 4th and 10, and KC is sending the cavalry against JG. It was a bold call...I just don't think a smart call.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#10 » by I_am_1z » Mon Feb 3, 2020 10:47 pm

You guys were adamant all year this wouldn't be a problem. All four games this year were lost by Shanahan. You literally have the Honey Badger and Frank Clark gushing over our run game and thankful that we stopped running the ball.

As far as Shanahan's future, he's obviously getting an extension, but Lynch needs to hire an OC coordinator. Shanahan probably has the best playbook in football, but his weakness shows when it comes to situational awareness.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#11 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:01 pm

I_am_1z wrote:You guys were adamant all year this wouldn't be a problem. All four games this year were lost by Shanahan. You literally have the Honey Badger and Frank Clark gushing over our run game and thankful that we stopped running the ball.

As far as Shanahan's future, he's obviously getting an extension, but Lynch needs to hire an OC coordinator. Shanahan probably has the best playbook in football, but his weakness shows when it comes to situational awareness.

I think most on this board recognized Shanahan's issues with game management. Every loss could be chalked up, at least in part, to shortcomings late in games. Overall, he was electric calling plays this past season. But late in a number of crucial games, he made huge errors. The refusal to be aggressive against good offenses late in the half has also been a recurring theme. This game was a microcosm of our worst losses, and it's a huge reflection on Shanahan.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#12 » by I_am_1z » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:18 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:You guys were adamant all year this wouldn't be a problem. All four games this year were lost by Shanahan. You literally have the Honey Badger and Frank Clark gushing over our run game and thankful that we stopped running the ball.

I think most on this board recognized Shanahan's issues with game management. Every loss could be chalked up, at least in part, to shortcomings late in games. Overall, he was electric calling plays this past season. But late in a number of crucial games, he made huge errors. The refusal to be aggressive against good offenses late in the half has also been a recurring theme. This game was a microcosm of our worst losses, and it's a huge reflection on Shanahan.

I don't mind the 4 & short and the no timeout with the Chiefs punting before the 1st half ended as much as I mind the refusal to let the run game continue dominating. Jimmy didn't look good in the 2nd half which I figured would be more reason to the ball, but Shanahan kept trying to make the pass game work. It's like he completely ignores the fact that the 49ers are a team that can establish a 15 play drive, running the ball again-again-and- again.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#13 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 3, 2020 11:27 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I don't mind the 4 & short and the no timeout with the Chiefs punting before the 1st half ended as much as I mind the refusal to let the run game continue dominating. Jimmy didn't look good in the 2nd half which I figured would be more reason to the ball, but Shanahan kept trying to make the pass game work. It's like he completely ignores the fact that the 49ers are a team that can establish a 15 play drive, running the ball again-again-and- again.

I think going into a shell at the end of the half was pretty unforgivable given recent history with this team doing that.

In terms of Jimmy's play in the second half, he was like 9 of 10 for 110 yards before those final three drives. My buddy I was watching with questioned not running it on 2nd and 5 (he's not a Niners fan, but was pulling for them a bit in this game, so mostly impartial), and I replied, "I get that, but the QB is 18 or 22, so a pass is a pretty safe playcall." Chris Jones made two huge plays to bat balls on what should/would have been big plays (in retrospect). That's not on Shanahan. Possibly on Garoppolo a bit, possibly on the OL a bit, mostly a good play by an elite defensive player.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#14 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:35 am

Look how open Bourne was smh
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#15 » by Yoshi » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:49 pm

Well, as someone who had a chance to listen to the Game 95.7 basically all year long for Niners coverage, many of them were backing up Shanahan despite his woeful playcalling from the SB years ago. Well, those guys are now second guessing themselves after another woeful playcalling experience.

Unfortunately for KS, he has made history twice on the wrong side of things due to the fact that the SB era has now witnessed two teams to have taken 10+ leads into the 4th quarter, only to blow them at the end. KS will probably get his extension, as you can make the argument he easily cracks into the top 10 list of coaches in the league. However, I'm with you guys in that he needs to hire an OC to help put a checks and balance into his playcalling. He started off the game pretty solid and kept the Chiefs off balance, but here are my qualms regarding the game:

1. WTF was the playcalling at the end of the first half?
2. Why did he abandon the run, especially towards the end of the game when the 49ers were in Chief's territory with under 2 minutes and all 3 timeouts left?
3. Why was Deebo Samuel not used more during the game? He was clearly their most dynamic player along with Mostert for the offense.
4. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight - Niners went for FG's on 4th and short conversions when the Chiefs went for it on 4th down at least twice.
5. What happened to calling the screens?

All in all, let's not forget this team was much better than what almost all of us thought they were going to be this season. With that being said, this loss hurts more than the last SB with the Ravens as I should be celebrating right now with 1+ million people on Market Street in SF - they had this game up by 10 pts with less than 7 minutes to go. Shanahan needs to learn from this experience because he has blown it with his playcalling at the end of games twice now in SB's.
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.

Return to San Francisco 49ers