ImageImageImageImageImage

Traded for #3?

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

tallglassowater
Junior
And1: 22

Traded for #3? 

Post#1 » by tallglassowater » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:17 pm

I didn't see a thread for this so apologies if this is already being discussed. I feel like this move means they aren't going QB. They would have to think that at least three QB's are worth a trade of 3 first round picks, because both teams before them are probably looking going QB. Not worth a trade for a guy who might be gone. Or maybe they over value a QB who they know will be there. To me I think it means they are going best player on their board that isn't a QB.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Re: Traded for #3? 

Post#2 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:26 pm

It's in the offseason thread.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#3 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:50 pm

tallglassowater wrote:I didn't see a thread for this so apologies if this is already being discussed. I feel like this move means they aren't going QB. They would have to think that at least three QB's are worth a trade of 3 first round picks, because both teams before them are probably looking going QB. Not worth a trade for a guy who might be gone. Or maybe they over value a QB who they know will be there. To me I think it means they are going best player on their board that isn't a QB.

To me that is too much to give up for a non QB
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#4 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:52 pm

It's a QB. 100%.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#5 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:57 pm

Trade was officially announced by the league close to 30 minutes ago.

49ers get: #3

Dolphins get: #12, 2022 1st round pick and 3rd round compensatory pick, and 2023 1st round pick

Dolphins turned around and traded #12 and #123, and their own 2022 1st round pick to the Eagles for #6 and #156.
tallglassowater
Junior
And1: 22

Post#6 » by tallglassowater » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:15 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:It's in the offseason thread.

Ahhh. Thank you.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#7 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Like Adam Schefter I can’t seem to let this topic go. The 49ers initial target when they traded up was for Mac Jones, not Lance.

Crims, we had a lengthy discussion about this but I don’t remember which one of the threads on this message board so I’m posting this on here

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10012242-nfl-trade-rumors-49ers-feared-patriots-eyed-no-3-pick-in-nfl-draft-to-get-mac-jones?share=other
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#8 » by thesack12 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:56 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Like Adam Schefter I can’t seem to let this topic go. The 49ers initial target when they traded up was for Mac Jones, not Lance.

Crims, we had a lengthy discussion about this but I don’t remember which one of the threads on this message board so I’m posting this on here

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10012242-nfl-trade-rumors-49ers-feared-patriots-eyed-no-3-pick-in-nfl-draft-to-get-mac-jones?share=other

Doesn't definitively mean anything.

Jacksonville was never moving off of #1, with Saleh in New York I'm sure they had several conversations with the Jets on what they were doing with #2. So it could be a situation where they liked all 3 of Lance/Fields/Jones and wanted to make sure they got ahead of everybody else that way they could get their pick of the 3.

The trade happened over a month before the draft. So there was quite a bit of pre-draft process/vetting still yet to do. Its just as possible they made the trade with a specific target in mind as it is possible they made the trade with a group of guys in mind and wanted as much control as possible in making their final decision.

At the end of the day, at this point, to me it doesn't really matter what original intentions were. Trey Lance is a 49er and that is all I'm personally concerned about.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#9 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:08 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Like Adam Schefter I can’t seem to let this topic go. The 49ers initial target when they traded up was for Mac Jones, not Lance.

From the wording of the report it sounds like the 9ers feared the Pats would snatch the 3rd overall pick because they wanted Jones not because the 9ers wanted Jones specificity but just the 3rd overall pick.

Still all this Shanahan wanting Mac Jones but being forced to take Lance talk to me is bunk. I don't see Lynch having enough power to overrule Shanahan on a decision concerning QB and I don't see York getting involved at that level either.

Return to San Francisco 49ers