ImageImageImageImageImage

McGlinchey Hurt => 3 game win streak. Coincidence?

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

McGlinchey Hurt => 3 game win streak. Coincidence? 

Post#1 » by a8bil » Sat Dec 4, 2021 12:42 am

Seems strange, doesn't it, that McGlinchey gets hurt and the 49ers turn around their season? I'm not a fan of McGlinchey, and I don't think he's a reason for the 49ers losing, but perhaps once he went down, the team decided to go with shorter drops, and quicker reads to get the ball out of JG's hands faster presuming the line won't be able to hold off the rush as long. Just speculation. Thoughts?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Re: McGlinchey Hurt => 3 game win streak. Coincidence? 

Post#2 » by thesack12 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 3:58 am

I don't think McGlinchey is a terrible player, but he's definitely not a needle mover either.

His run blocking is consistently solid to good, but his pass protection is consistently poor. To me, he's only marginally better than replacement level.

He's definitely not a guy I'd be prioritizing for a contract extension. Relative to his talent/performance, he's already overpaid since they picked up his 5th year option.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#3 » by Jikkle » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:22 am

I'm going to say it's more coincidence since our 3 game winning streak is really more about our commitment to running the ball which is McGlinchey's strong suit rather than him not being in there.

Ultimately he needs to be upgraded though as his pass blocking is just too much of a liability and doesn't seem like it's going to get better.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#4 » by Bald Bull » Sun Dec 5, 2021 10:46 am

Jikkle wrote:I'm going to say it's more coincidence since our 3 game winning streak is really more about our commitment to running the ball which is McGlinchey's strong suit rather than him not being in there.

Ultimately he needs to be upgraded though as his pass blocking is just too much of a liability and doesn't seem like it's going to get better.

this is how i see it as well, our switch to a more run heavy approach would have played into McGlinchy's strengths, and his pass blocking is liablity but not anything worse than Tom Compton, whose tendency for poor play hasn't cost us wins.

Our 3 game winning streak is due to eating up the clock, getting take aways, and not shooting ourselves in the foot as much as we did early in the year. The whole team is playing better.

It's possible the jimmy/lance stuff had everyone in a funk, and they finally normalized and refocused.

Return to San Francisco 49ers