ImageImageImageImageImage

Mostert seeking trade

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Mostert seeking trade 

Post#1 » by Samurai » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:32 am

Raheem Mostert's agent stated that after months of unproductive talks about adjusting Mostert's contract, he is now seeking a trade. Apparently the agent wants Mostert to be paid what Coleman will make ($4.55M), roughly $2M more than Mostert is scheduled to make. My guess is that the Niners aren't opposed to that in principle, but with the 2020 cap a complete unknown due to the pandemic, the team doesn't have much wiggle room. Hopefully they can work something out.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Re: Mostert seeking trade 

Post#2 » by Yoshi » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:47 am

Samurai wrote:Raheem Mostert's agent stated that after months of unproductive talks about adjusting Mostert's contract, he is now seeking a trade. Apparently the agent wants Mostert to be paid what Coleman will make ($4.55M), roughly $2M more than Mostert is scheduled to make. My guess is that the Niners aren't opposed to that in principle, but with the 2020 cap a complete unknown due to the pandemic, the team doesn't have much wiggle room. Hopefully they can work something out.

I expect the Niners to stand pat for the time being - Shanahan's system has proven that multiple RB's can be successful in this offense. The Niners basically paid Mostert's current contract as a special teams players with the potential to contribute as a RB. He succeeded and exceeded in those regards.
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#3 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:43 am

I'm sure we can work something out
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#4 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:34 am

I'd consider a small pay increase, or maybe some incentives based on performance, but there just isn't a reason to pay him a lot of money. It's the easiest position to find talent at, and our coach is the best in the league at doing so (see: Mostert and Breida). He's under contract for two more years, and those two years would more than double what he's earned to date in his career. He's 28, so sitting a year would be brutal for his future prospects. I totally get it from his perspective. He's made a relative pittance for a guy who can see the end of his career on the horizon because of his age and the position he plays. But the team shouldn't cater to that. They've got their own contract/cap issues to attend to.

Incidentally, any parent who lets their kid play RB is just plain dumb. I suppose it's one of the only positions a shorter guy can play in the pros, but I'd have any kid with even decent athleticism playing WR.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#5 » by Jikkle » Thu Jul 9, 2020 7:32 am

Should fire his agent because he's getting terrible advice.

For starters he never should signed a 3 year deal last year and should've done a 1 or 2 year deal so he would have the ability to seek out a bigger contract.

Secondly he pretty much has little value outside of the 9ers and Shanahan's system. There was a reason he bounced around the league with so many teams and it's not because he suddenly become a great RB with the 9ers but he was the perfect fit for what Shanahan wants to do.

So he might have some value with the Rams, Packers, and Bengals who are teams that have the Shanahan style of running attack but he'd still wouldn't be as productive with those teams.

I don't blame him for asking for a raise because why not? Nothing ventured nothing gained so to speak but he's crazy to ask for a trade when his best bet was to play out this upcoming season and do what you did at the end of 2019 throughout the entire year and than have more leverage to ask for more money or have more interest from another team.

The funny thing is that if McKinnon is 100% he'll probably be the feature back and Mostert will still be the backup.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,434

Post#6 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:33 pm

Raheem has zero leverage. He's not the starter, and he's part of a 3 man rotation in a run heavy scheme. At 28 there is only so much juice you'll be able to squeeze out of him. Plus the Niners already have financial commitments to Coleman and McKinnon and Jeff Wilson has proven to be competent when given the opportunity. I view Mostert as more of a luxury than a necessity. He'll flame out anywhere else in 1-2 years.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#7 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:36 pm

Jikkle wrote:Should fire his agent because he's getting terrible advice.

For starters he never should signed a 3 year deal last year and should've done a 1 or 2 year deal so he would have the ability to seek out a bigger contract.

Secondly he pretty much has little value outside of the 9ers and Shanahan's system. There was a reason he bounced around the league with so many teams and it's not because he suddenly become a great RB with the 9ers but he was the perfect fit for what Shanahan wants to do.

So he might have some value with the Rams, Packers, and Bengals who are teams that have the Shanahan style of running attack but he'd still wouldn't be as productive with those teams.

I don't blame him for asking for a raise because why not? Nothing ventured nothing gained so to speak but he's crazy to ask for a trade when his best bet was to play out this upcoming season and do what you did at the end of 2019 throughout the entire year and than have more leverage to ask for more money or have more interest from another team.

The funny thing is that if McKinnon is 100% he'll probably be the feature back and Mostert will still be the backup.

I don't think it was a mistake for Mostert to sign his contract last year. Going into that season, he had made something like $2.2 million in four years in the league. He would surpass that in a single season on this deal, and secure at least decent financial security. At that time, he was looking at being the third RB - at best - and had only had about 40 touches in his career.

And I can't fault him for trying to make more. He has limited touches, so he may not suffer the age-30 drop that so many RBs do, but it's got to be a concern - for him, for the NIners, and for any team that would sign him. I like Mostert as a person and a player, and in a vacuum, I'd love to see him get paid. But the team I root for has to consider the salary cap, and there just isn't the motivation to pay for a 28-year-old RB who has never been the guy. He's also not a particularly effective receiver, which is increasingly important for a RB's value in today's NFL. And for all the talk about Breida's fumbling last year, Mostert has five fumbles on 224 touches (including returns). That's once every 44.8 touches. Breida has four fumbles on 453 career touches, or one every 113 touches (NOTE: that may be fumbles lost, not times putting the ball on the ground).

I don't have a great sense for why Mostert hasn't done well in the league previously. Certainly opportunity can be a major issue for a guy who enters as a UDFA. But I feel like he hasn't historically had great vision, footwork, and has struggled to play in tight spaces. That's okay in Shanahan's offense because he's so good at getting his RB to the second level, but it restricts Mostert's value to other teams.

I'm pretty confident Mostert will stay on the team and play. As said, I wouldn't object to a bit of a raise, especially if they cut Coleman. And between those two, I would take Mostert ten times before considering Coleman; frankly I really hope Coleman gets cut. But we already spend too much at RB, especially in this offense. If we lose Mostert, traded Breida, and McKinnon gets hurt, though, and Coleman ends up being the guy, I'm not going to be very happy.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,027

Post#8 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:23 pm

Not surprised. So many people were upset he was seeking a new deal and the 49ers were considering it. This is why.

They can find a way to write his contract so his agent can claim victory but it protects the 49ers too.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#9 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:35 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Not surprised. So many people were upset he was seeking a new deal and the 49ers were considering it. This is why.

They can find a way to write his contract so his agent can claim victory but it protects the 49ers too.

What is "this"?

I don't know that anyone was upset he was seeking a new deal, I just think most people (myself included) don't see the benefit to doubling his salary at this time. It would appear the team agrees.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#10 » by Dodub » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:19 pm

Sadly for Mostert, he appears to be the product of the system. Not only that but he’s one of several backs in a system that doesn't need high priced guys. He needs to take what he can get and not push it in my opinion.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,027

Post#11 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 9:22 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:Not surprised. So many people were upset he was seeking a new deal and the 49ers were considering it. This is why.

What is "this"?

I don't know that anyone was upset he was seeking a new deal, I just think most people (myself included) don't see the benefit to doubling his salary at this time. It would appear the team agrees.

"This" is his trade demand.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#12 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:22 pm

Not sure why I’m using this thread to pose a question pertaining Mostert. The title of this thread is misleading but anyway what I wanted to ask is if there’s a possibility that he can come back for a game or two this year. Similar to how Cam Akers has done for the Rams. Mostert in this year’s offense would make us nearly unstoppable.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#13 » by arich35 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:30 pm

I haven't seen any mention of him even close to practicing. He didn't haver surgery until mid Oct so it has only been 3 months, not sure how long the recovery is for the type of injury he had though
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,251

Post#14 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:47 pm

Yeah, if Mostert was even remotely close to being able to get on the practice field we surely would have heard chatter about it by now.

I think he was placed on season ending IR anyways. I could be wrong, but even with the new IR rules I believe there is still a distinction of the season ending variety of IR.

It would be nice to have even a mildly healthy Mostert to rotate in with Mitchell. Elijah has struggled since returning from his latest injury, he just hasn't looked quite right. None of the other backs are inspiring in the slightest either.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#15 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:48 pm

They need him because they can't give so many touches to Deebo at the RB again next season. That would be shortening his career, not to mention likely lost games due to injury.

Deebo still isn't refined as a downfield WR, like going for intermediate routes. Hell even those shallow slants and drags would give him more chances in open space, as opposed to running him through the middle of the line where he's more prone to get hit by linemen and safeties coming downhill to hit him while he's trying to navigate through the trenches.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#16 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:31 pm

If we can re-sign Mostert on a team friendly deal, I'm for it. Maybe his injury history and age will keep other teams from offering him the money that puts him out of our budget. Neither Mostert nor Mitchell are the kind of guys that you can count on for 300+ rushes, but having both of them to split the load may be viable. And we can't keep dipping in the Deebo well because we can't afford a serious injury there. But it has to be a team friendly deal; I think Shanahan believes that there are numerous cheap options that can be successful running in his offense and thus he doesn't need to spend a big chunk of our cap space for a big-name RB. If Mostert wants more money that Paraag wants to spend, then wish him well and move on.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#17 » by a8bil » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:38 am

thesack12 wrote:Yeah, if Mostert was even remotely close to being able to get on the practice field we surely would have heard chatter about it by now.

I think he was placed on season ending IR anyways. I could be wrong, but even with the new IR rules I believe there is still a distinction of the season ending variety of IR.

It would be nice to have even a mildly healthy Mostert to rotate in with Mitchell. Elijah has struggled since returning from his latest injury, he just hasn't looked quite right. None of the other backs are inspiring in the slightest either.
Correct, Mostert on IR.

Return to San Francisco 49ers