ImageImageImageImageImage

Looking ahead..

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Looking ahead.. 

Post#1 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:51 am

Despite the brutal lost today I do see a bright future for the team.

First the NFC is looking to be pretty wide open in 2022. It's looking like Tampa will be without Brady. Packers could lose Rodgers but even if they keep him they'll be in a mess with the salary cap. Rams and Cards will have salary cap issues. Saints without Brees and now Peyton are probably going back to being the Aints. Vikings and Cowboys are looking at cap issues as well.

I think the Seahawks could have a bounce back season but looking at the rest of the NFC most of the teams that were good this year will probably still be good but not as in good shape as they were this season. And there will likely be a surprise team as usual but the middle of the road teams this past year don't seem like they are poised to make huge leaps this upcoming year.

The 9ers will be in decent cap space when they shed Jimmy G's contract which will afford them the ability to sign a couple of their role players like DJ Jones or Arden Key and maybe land a decent free agent while still being able to give Deebo and eventually Bosa their money. If Dee Ford ends up retiring that will be even more money for them to play with.

In terms of the draft while not having a 1st stings they still have picks in each of the other rounds and potentially more if McDaniels and/or Ryans land jobs. I'd imagine they'd be able to land at least a 3rd for Jimmy so we're looking at a healthy amount of draft capital.

Most importantly I am bullish on Trey Lance and I do think he'll add to the offense in a way that Jimmy can't. I expect him to be pouring in a ton of time this offseason to polish his mechanics and study film so while he probably won't fix every single issue in one offseason I'm hoping he'll be much improved in the areas that he was raw in. For me the mechanics are the most important thing as the more mental stuff will come with reps and experience.

There are two major issues and frustratingly the same two issues that continue to haunt us with offensive line and CB.

With CB at least there is some potential but the team still could use some depth and use a true #1 CB. I don't envision Thomas being a shutdown corner but I do think he has potential to flourish as a #2 guy.

Offensive line the guard spot is a question mark because we just don't know where Banks is at. He's been inactive the whole season so is that a product of them wanting him to sit and learn and let the vets handle it or if he's still that rough around the edges. If Banks is starter material we're ok at the spot and the focus is on RT but if he's not the right side will again be a liability.

Overall though I think if Lance pans out we'll be in the mix of things for the foreseeable future. I mean if Lance develops into a Josh Allen type of QB which team really stops us in the NFC?

Return to San Francisco 49ers