2022 NFL Draft Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Re: 2022 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#301 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 1, 2022 5:32 pm

Dodub wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:I really really like our FA signings. Good receivers (especially Mack). The other receiver Tay Martin gives me Kendrick Bourne vibes. We also signed two very good centers/offensive guards; two good linebackers in Segun Olubi and Gemmel. At least 2 UDFAs will make the 53 man roster. I’m that excited about this group.

We’re going to have a very strong practice squad too

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=uoH0KhiFALEtMBlMBYeANg

We should have signed this kid and stash him on the practice squad.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#302 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 1, 2022 6:54 pm

Dodub wrote:Tariq Castro Fields isn’t a bad pick at all. It’s using a late round pick on a kid with prototypical size and speed. He has all of the tools to be successful, he’s just super raw and needs technical work. I have no problem with seeing if our coaching staff can unlock that potential and get the most out of him.

Of course it’s likely that they can’t get him to play with proper technique and learn to read the offense, but I don’t mind spending a late round pick trying to find out.

I haven't seen Castro-Fields play a snap so far as I know, but as said, it's hard for me to find much fault in taking a guy with elite physical traits with the last pick in the 6th round. Especially when he plays a high-value position where we have three solid players but pretty questionable depth.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#303 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 1, 2022 7:05 pm

Dodub wrote:
wco81 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't have a problem with them adding bodies to the RB position. I have a problem with them doing it in the third round when we have so many other glaring needs and we took a back in the third who most valued somewhere around the sixth round. Receiving certainly isn't the be-all, end-all of the RB position, but it is the thing that a RB does that provides the most value. It's also the thing that is conspicuously lacking from our RB group.

The benefit of a RB with legit receiving skills is that a player like that can really stress the defense in a similar way that Samuel can. A guy with that sort of versatility might be worth a third-round pick in a deep draft. They guy we added isn't, even if he turns into a very good between-the-numbers runner. And if he does turn into that, it likely means that Sermon was a wasted pick in the third last year - not that you should let a blown pick keep you from addressing a problem area, but it feels early to give up on Sermon.

As far as needing the depth to spare Deebo, last year we had awful luck with injuries. Wilson had a freak accident that kept him out most of the year and limited his contributions when he returned. Sermon got hurt repeatedly. Obviously Mostert went down game one. RB is a position where you expect more injuries, but there was an element of just awful dumb luck to it. But as said, the bigger issue for me isn't adding a RB, it's reaching for a RB in a spot where we could have addressed a glaring need at a more valuable position with a guy who has a chance to start in the near future.

3rd round pick for a RB is pretty much an admission that the Sermon pick last year was a mistake, that they don't expect him to pan out or they want this new draftee to compete for playing time right away?

I don’t see it that way at all. It’s just another weapon to be used. I think this has more to do with Deebo not playing RB than with Sermon.

If you haven’t noticed, the Shanahan’s rarely use the one running back “bell cow” philosophy. Mike and Kyle have both ran through tons of RB’s in their day, because they get used up so quickly. Kyle has had a different leading rusher every year. We need depth and youth at the position and most importantly we need cheap contracts.

As said, I have absolutely no problem with them adding a RB in this draft. But the guy you're describing is not a guy we needed to take with a third-round pick, and only our second pick in the draft. He's a guy we pick in the fourth, fifth, or sixth round.

I don't know much of anything about Davis-Price specifically, but everywhere I've looked, I've seen him ranked about 90 spots later than we took him. We took him as the fifth RB. We didn't have to do that. I don't care all that much about specific player rankings late in the draft, but in the third round you still need to prioritize value, and this pick didn't do that to me. Especially considering that we didn't have a first-round pick.

As far as what this pick says about Sermon, again, no one is objecting to depth at RB. But it's a position where you can find value late (see: every guy who has led our team in rushing since Shanahan took over). But Sermon was the 4th back taken last year. That sort of player should at least have the capability to be a bell cow. We also hit on a sleeper in Mitchell who showed that he can contribute a decent volume of quality carries (granted we need to reduce his workload to keep him healthy). If the FO had faith in Sermon to be what they should have expected when they drafted him (again, you shouldn't take the fourth RB in any draft unless you view that guy as a possible primary back), I find it very hard to believe they would have turned around and taken the fifth RB in this draft. I hope I'm wrong, and this three-headed backfield ends up taking the league by storm, but I'll believe it when I see it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#304 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 1, 2022 8:22 pm

In terms of the draft overall, I'm generally fine with it. I won't go on about the Davis-Price pick any more at this point, but he's the only pick I really hated.

I'm really interested to see what Kocurek can do with Jackson. I have some concerns about Jackson's really abrupt weight gain after the combine, and he looked a little soft in the videos of him after he was picked. But he was playing about 20 pounds lower than he should have been, so I'm okay with him packing on some weight that he can now refine so long as he doesn't lose the athleticism and bend that could make him special - and he still tested really well in the agility scores.

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

That score is "only" 8.6 because it's using his combine weight of 254. At his pro day weight, I'm fairly confident he'd be in the nines (though maybe he would have lost some distance on his jumps).

It felt like we picked Danny Gray a bit high, but the dude can fly, and that's something we needed. And he's not just a deep threat. He was used a fair bit on screens, slants, and crossing routes where he was able to pile up YAC. I can definitely see what Shanahan saw in him, and I'm excited to see him on the field.

On day three, it's hard for me to get too worked up about things. Sure, I probably would have preferred Zach Tom to Spencer Burford, but I don't have nearly the grounding to weigh in on that. We addressed problem areas with multiple picks, including guys who seem to have decent upside.

And I like the way we clearly attacked UDFA with a plan and aggressiveness. Adding West is the highlight, as I would have been happy with him in the 5th round and maybe even the 4th. Poe seems like an interesting developmental IOL guy, a couple WRs seem interesting, and the S and LB have a chance to stick around in some capacity.

Overall, this draft comes down to Lance and Jackson, but I think the team has strengthened its depth, which was really the goal.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#305 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 1, 2022 8:24 pm

Oh, and I'm pretty intrigued by Kalia Davis in our system, too. If he can stay healthy, he could be a find.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#306 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 2, 2022 1:33 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Oh, and I'm pretty intrigued by Kalia Davis in our system, too. If he can stay healthy, he could be a find.

Lynch was right, he reminds me of D.J. Jones in terms of build, quickness of the snap, and his relentlessness. The year we drafted Jones I was so freaking happy. I was always high on him mainly because he was a legend in the weight room - he was given the title as one of the strongest players in the nation. Not sure if Kalia possesses that type of brute strength, but he’s strong enough (bench 30 reps during his pro day).
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2015/06/18/ole-miss-jones-among-strongest-players-in-country-says-nflcom/28933559/
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#307 » by Jikkle » Mon May 2, 2022 6:37 am

Overall I liked the draft and I thought we quietly had a good offseason in general.

Pass rusher was a major need to me and they hit on that with Drake who has the potential to be a steal once they figure out his ideal playing weight and with him being only 21 he still hasn't hit his physical peak either.

With Lance being the starter next season we needed a guy with speed like Gray so not only do defenses have to fear Lance's arm but Gray's speed to go along with it.

Like everyone else I'm not a fan of using a 3rd on an RB. I understand Kyle wants a stable of RBs because they get hurt a lot and it seems like 1 or 2 are banged up and not available every week and with a young 1st-year starter he's going to run the ball even more than he usually runs it.

I'm glad they added some depth and guys to develop in the offensive line. I'd love it if they put more emphasis on the interior of the line but it's clear Shanahan only values tackles and doesn't put much into the interior. At least the guys they added appear to have potential and could blossom with some time and development
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#308 » by Jikkle » Mon May 2, 2022 6:46 am

wco81 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't have a problem with them adding bodies to the RB position. I have a problem with them doing it in the third round when we have so many other glaring needs and we took a back in the third who most valued somewhere around the sixth round. Receiving certainly isn't the be-all, end-all of the RB position, but it is the thing that a RB does that provides the most value. It's also the thing that is conspicuously lacking from our RB group.

The benefit of a RB with legit receiving skills is that a player like that can really stress the defense in a similar way that Samuel can. A guy with that sort of versatility might be worth a third-round pick in a deep draft. They guy we added isn't, even if he turns into a very good between-the-numbers runner. And if he does turn into that, it likely means that Sermon was a wasted pick in the third last year - not that you should let a blown pick keep you from addressing a problem area, but it feels early to give up on Sermon.

As far as needing the depth to spare Deebo, last year we had awful luck with injuries. Wilson had a freak accident that kept him out most of the year and limited his contributions when he returned. Sermon got hurt repeatedly. Obviously Mostert went down game one. RB is a position where you expect more injuries, but there was an element of just awful dumb luck to it. But as said, the bigger issue for me isn't adding a RB, it's reaching for a RB in a spot where we could have addressed a glaring need at a more valuable position with a guy who has a chance to start in the near future.

3rd round pick for a RB is pretty much an admission that the Sermon pick last year was a mistake, that they don't expect him to pan out or they want this new draftee to compete for playing time right away?

I don't think it has anything to do with Sermon but more to the fact that guys aren't going to be healthy all year and Shanahan wants to make sure the depth chart is absolutely loaded.

If Sermon, Mitchell, and Davis are all studs that's fine because odds are one or two won't be healthy enough to play each week since that's basically been the case the past couple of seasons.

It appears they take the same approach to RB as they do the DL and that's just loading up on it and if you have too many quality guys that's a better problem to have than not having enough.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#309 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 2, 2022 10:55 pm

Well Chris Simms likes the Davis-Price pick. He was Simms' #4 RB. Dodub, is that enough for you to question the pick? :lol:

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#310 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 2, 2022 11:01 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Well Chris Simms likes the Davis-Price pick. He was Simms' #4 RB. Dodub, is that enough for you to question the pick? :lol:

TDP is a slower version of Elijah Mitchell. TDP however seems to have a lot more patience in letting his blocks develop. He has very good vision as well. Still, he was a reach.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#311 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 2, 2022 11:29 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Well Chris Simms likes the Davis-Price pick. He was Simms' #4 RB. Dodub, is that enough for you to question the pick? :lol:

TDP is a slower version of Elijah Mitchell. TDP however seems to have a lot more patience in letting his blocks develop. He has very good vision as well. Still, he was a reach.

Yeah, I don't want it to seem like I'm completely **** on the dude. From the few clips I've seen, he appears to have good vision, patience, and decisiveness. He's physical, he seems to have decent speed and he ran well (though times from this year's combine seem a bit faster than in the past, and they recently replaced the turf). He looks like he'll play a worthwhile role on our team, and could even become the primary ball-carrier in a two- or three-pronged attack.

My disgust with the pick has everything to do with the position, and the fact that this particular RB likely could have been had later. Now look, media rankings are ultimately fairly worthless, especially outside the first round, so who knows what other NFL teams thought of him. But TDP doesn't appear to have any traits that are so special that we needed to take him in the third instead of waiting to see if he fell to the 4th or 5th. And if he didn't fall, would he have been that different from Pierce, Spiller, or Strong in our system?

To be fair, six RBs went between that pick and our fourth-round pick. But RB is a place for us to save on resources that we can allocate to other positions. Not throw a bunch of relatively high picks at it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#312 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 2, 2022 11:31 pm

I'll add that he looks like he could be the best inside runner on the team early in his career, so he does bring something the other guys may not as much. He could easily become our goal line back. Just not sure couldn't have found a big, physical guy with good vision and contact balance much later.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,251

Post#313 » by thesack12 » Thu May 5, 2022 7:10 pm

Finally getting some time to express my thought on the draft.

Round 2 (pick 61): I'm not overly thrilled with the Drake Jackson pick, but the value was good So I don't have a strong dislike of it. You like the upside, but also need to recognize that his play fell off last season. Of course there are factors that played into that like weight/change of role/scheme etc, but you are always concerned when a guy takes a step back before entering the NFL as there's a chance that guy may have peaked already. Ultimately, Jackson will need to become more than just a rotational player for this to be a good pick. 9ers are not only flush rotational caliber pass rushers but also have a proven ability to consistently find that type of player off the scrap heap. Its the main reason, I personally wasn't prioritizing pass going into the draft.

Round 3 (pick 93): Absolutely hated the Price pick when it was made and don't feel any differently now. I've already elaborated on Price bringing nothing to the table as a receiver, which was the primary thing missing from the RB room. He's just a body among many, and the value of the pick was awful. Price was consistently ranked in the late teens to early 20's of the RB's in the draft, and I don't ever recall seeing him valued higher than being a 5th round talent. Granted mock drafts/info available to us layfolk and the media certainly isn't gospel, but for the most part they get it right so its not worthless. Especially when you see the same things consistently. On top of this, if things go well within the RB room there is a good chance that Price not only isn't in the rotation, but also racks up game day inactives.

Round 3 (pick 105): Danny Gray might be my favorite pick in this entire draft. While he wasn't super productive in college and suffers from inconsistent hands, the dude can flat out fly. Raw speed is something that has been missing from the WR room for many years, and also something that is always valued and usable when you have it. So unlike the Price pick, Gray actually brings something that was missing into his position group PLUS the group was thin. So its basically the antithesis to the Price pick. Gray also has skillset to not just be pigeonholed into being a burner/field stretcher type. He has plenty of tape showing good YAC ability, and we all know that Shanahan highly values that.

Round 4 (pick 134): I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about Spencer Burford prior to the pick. Howver The write ups on him sound good, and OL was obviously a huge need. I like hearing that that he only surrendered 3 QB pressures. Granted that was against low level competition, but you can only play against who is in front of you and he played well. We're obviously not there yet, but sounds like he might become a solid McGlinchey replacement next season.

Round 5 (pick 172): I love the Samuel Womack pick. As I have yammered on about for years now, CB has long been a concern for this team. In today's super pass happy NFL, you can never have enough viable bodies to plug in at that position. Womack provides speed and solid ball skills, both things that were lacking in the CB room. Womack probably has the best ball skills of any 49ers DB today, which is both a sad indictment of the exiting group and an encouraging sign for Womack himself. Womack also has the ability to play nickel/slot corner which was a huge need with K-Waun williams leaving. Very, very nice pick.

Round 6 (pick 187): Nick Zakelj is another guy I previously knew nothing about, but as far as the OL was concerned quantity of picks is a good thing. Sounds like he will be able to move inside, which is a plus. I would like it better if he could plat center, but that isn't the case. Still with all the concerns all across the O-line you can't really dislike the pick.

Round 6 (pick 220): I'm curious to see what Kocurek can get out of Kalia Davis and his athleticism, but I'm not expecting a too much. With a 6th rounder, if you can get a rotational DL out of him, you consider that a win. You also have to like the that he has a LB background so he should be able to roam around and cover more ground than your prototypical DLineman.

Round 6 (pick 221): Springboarding off my comments about the CB position overall in Womack reflections , I like the Castro Fields pick. As I mentioned you can never have enough warm bodies at the CB position. With Fields size/length/speed/experience at a position with concerns on the current roster, he's a worthwhile gamble at this point in the draft.

Round 7 (pick 262) While I will stop WELL short of saying I love this pick, I do like the logic here. Nate Sudfeld is not a good NFL QB3 and he's a terrible NFL QB2. Even if Purdy never makes it to the active roster, with the last pick in the draft taking a gamble on any QB that your OC likes isn't a bad pick. This is especially true when QB2 is the farthest thing from being locked down for the next several years. I keep hearing people complaining that Purdy is only a practice squad QB. To which, I say so what? We're talking about Mr. Irrelevant here. If Mr. Irrelevant is good enough to make your practice squad, that's a solid pick. Also the practice squad's primary function is being a development vehicle. So if Purdy does make the practice squad this season, there is a chance that he supplants Sudfeld on the main roster next season.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#314 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 5, 2022 9:47 pm

thesack12 wrote:Finally getting some time to express my thought on the draft.

Round 2 (pick 61): I'm not overly thrilled with the Drake Jackson pick, but the value was good So I don't have a strong dislike of it. You like the upside, but also need to recognize that his play fell off last season. Of course there are factors that played into that like weight/change of role/scheme etc, but you are always concerned when a guy takes a step back before entering the NFL as there's a chance that guy may have peaked already. Ultimately, Jackson will need to become more than just a rotational player for this to be a good pick. 9ers are not only flush rotational caliber pass rushers but also have a proven ability to consistently find that type of player off the scrap heap. Its the main reason, I personally wasn't prioritizing pass going into the draft.

Round 3 (pick 93): Absolutely hated the Price pick when it was made and don't feel any differently now. I've already elaborated on Price bringing nothing to the table as a receiver, which was the primary thing missing from the RB room. He's just a body among many, and the value of the pick was awful. Price was consistently ranked in the late teens to early 20's of the RB's in the draft, and I don't ever recall seeing him valued higher than being a 5th round talent. Granted mock drafts/info available to us layfolk and the media certainly isn't gospel, but for the most part they get it right so its not worthless. Especially when you see the same things consistently. On top of this, if things go well within the RB room there is a good chance that Price not only isn't in the rotation, but also racks up game day inactives.

Round 3 (pick 105): Danny Gray might be my favorite pick in this entire draft. While he wasn't super productive in college and suffers from inconsistent hands, the dude can flat out fly. Raw speed is something that has been missing from the WR room for many years, and also something that is always valued and usable when you have it. So unlike the Price pick, Gray actually brings something that was missing into his position group PLUS the group was thin. So its basically the antithesis to the Price pick. Gray also has skillset to not just be pigeonholed into being a burner/field stretcher type. He has plenty of tape showing good YAC ability, and we all know that Shanahan highly values that.

Round 4 (pick 134): I'd be lying if I said I knew anything about Spencer Burford prior to the pick. Howver The write ups on him sound good, and OL was obviously a huge need. I like hearing that that he only surrendered 3 QB pressures. Granted that was against low level competition, but you can only play against who is in front of you and he played well. We're obviously not there yet, but sounds like he might become a solid McGlinchey replacement next season.

Round 5 (pick 172): I love the Samuel Womack pick. As I have yammered on about for years now, CB has long been a concern for this team. In today's super pass happy NFL, you can never have enough viable bodies to plug in at that position. Womack provides speed and solid ball skills, both things that were lacking in the CB room. Womack probably has the best ball skills of any 49ers DB today, which is both a sad indictment of the exiting group and an encouraging sign for Womack himself. Womack also has the ability to play nickel/slot corner which was a huge need with K-Waun williams leaving. Very, very nice pick.

Round 6 (pick 187): Nick Zakelj is another guy I previously knew nothing about, but as far as the OL was concerned quantity of picks is a good thing. Sounds like he will be able to move inside, which is a plus. I would like it better if he could plat center, but that isn't the case. Still with all the concerns all across the O-line you can't really dislike the pick.

Round 6 (pick 220): I'm curious to see what Kocurek can get out of Kalia Davis and his athleticism, but I'm not expecting a too much. With a 6th rounder, if you can get a rotational DL out of him, you consider that a win. You also have to like the that he has a LB background so he should be able to roam around and cover more ground than your prototypical DLineman.

Round 6 (pick 221): Springboarding off my comments about the CB position overall in Womack reflections , I like the Castro Fields pick. As I mentioned you can never have enough warm bodies at the CB position. With Fields size/length/speed/experience at a position with concerns on the current roster, he's a worthwhile gamble at this point in the draft.

Round 7 (pick 262) While I will stop WELL short of saying I love this pick, I do like the logic here. Nate Sudfeld is not a good NFL QB3 and he's a terrible NFL QB2. Even if Purdy never makes it to the active roster, with the last pick in the draft taking a gamble on any QB that your OC likes isn't a bad pick. This is especially true when QB2 is the farthest thing from being locked down for the next several years. I keep hearing people complaining that Purdy is only a practice squad QB. To which, I say so what? We're talking about Mr. Irrelevant here. If Mr. Irrelevant is good enough to make your practice squad, that's a solid pick. Also the practice squad's primary function is being a development vehicle. So if Purdy does make the practice squad this season, there is a chance that he supplants Sudfeld on the main roster next season.

I like the Jackson pick because Kocurek is our DL coach, the kid is young (just turned 21), and he clearly has unique physical talent. He's on the shorter side, but he's got long arms, has good bend, and I think a lot of his struggles this past year can be chalked up to being asked to shed weight and do things he wasn't very comfortable doing. We can mitigate a lot of that early on by putting him in a wide-9 and just asking him to go after the QB. He's already put on weight, though it looks like he'll have to put in some work to make it the good sort of weight (he looks a little soft in some of the videos after the draft).

I agree that DE wasn't a huge need, but getting an impact pass rusher opposite Bosa is something we need for our D to take the next step. You can only go so far with a bunch of decent effort players at that spot. It was pretty clear from early on in this process that edge rusher would likely be the best value at our pick in the 2nd. I think he was better value than pretty much anyone who went within ten picks after him. You could argue that Travis Jones or Bernhard Raimann had similar value, but both of those guys have questions based on positional value or projection, too. That said, in the late second, I was making some noise about considering Raimann as a McGlinchey replacement.

The guy I think will be an interesting comparison is Nik Bonitto. He's also an elite athlete who will at least start his career in all likelihood as a situational pass-rusher. He was crazy productive on the field, but his upside is limited in a way that Jackson's isn't. Although their measurables are similar, Bonitto probably doesn't have the frame to get much bigger. Jackson does, and could turn into a very good every-down player. I don't know that Bonitto has that upside. But he's a guy I was also eyeing at 61.

Interestingly, both those DEs are pretty similar physically to Jordan Willis coming out, but despite great testing number, Willis never really had that special bend.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#315 » by Jikkle » Fri May 6, 2022 8:30 am

thesack12 wrote:Finally getting some time to express my thought on the draft.

I thought having another legit pass rusher to pair with Bosa was a huge need. With as much attention Bosa commands we needed another pass-rush specialist to take advantage of it and I just didn't feel we had that on the roster. The roster has good all-around DEs that can defend the run and are respectable at rushing the passer but nobody that was a monster at rushing the passer.

With Drake Jackson I'd be more concerned with his fall off if he was in a stable program with competent coaching. If he was playing for Alabama and he had this kind of drop off I'd consider that a major red flag. But I think it's pretty clear USC didn't have him playing at his ideal weight or position which won't be the case with the 9ers. The major reason the 9ers likely drafted him is when they saw him at his best is how they themselves would use him and they knew they'd use him in the most optimal way.

I think the key for Jackson will just be to find his optimal playing weight and at 21 he hasn't hit peak physical maturity quite yet so I'm sure they have to tweak it as they go until they hit that magic number.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#316 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri May 6, 2022 4:54 pm

I agree with the overall opinion about the 3rd round pick being used on a running back. The fact that the 49ers again reached higher for a running back is not good news for Sermon. I am in a wait and see mode for Jackson before making an opinion. Part of analyzing this draft is going to come down to how Lance pans out as the 49ers gave up this year's first round pick for him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#317 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 6, 2022 5:39 pm

My pick-by-pick views, to the extent that I have them:

Round 2 (pick 61): As said, I like the Jackson pick. Really good physical tools, youth, and some legitimate explanations for why he fell. If he can maximize his value - and I think this team and coaching staff have a pretty good chance of getting that out of him - he could turn out to be a real steal. If his trajectory had continued, he likely would have been first-round pick. Obviously there's some concern about a guy who regressed, but as said, I think the reasons for that explain a lot of it. He may be a bit immature still, but he doesn't seem like a guy who lacks effort or wasn't committed. Other guys I would have considered were Bonitto and Raimann.

Round 3 (pick 93): Hated the pick, though not the player per se. That said, having watched a couple of his games, I don't see special traits to Price-Davis. He seems like a solid RB, but again, nothing that we needed to take this high. I wanted Nick Cross here.

Round 3 (pick 105): This is an intriguing pick. He brings an element that we don't have and that we need, but he's pretty rough around the edges and will need some refinement to become more than a one- or two-dimensional player. His speed in our offense - especially as the fourth receiving option on any given play - is really tantalizing. It will be interesting to see how he fares compared to Calvin Austin, but despite his incredible testing numbers, Austin's size will always make him an outlier. I don't recall having particularly strong feelings about who they should have taken here, but I might have tried to address DB or OL here if there was value.

Round 4 (pick 134): Agree with a pick at the position, though I question taking Burford over Zach Tom. Tom is a bit more of a tweener, though both guys played tackle in college, but Tom is markedly more athletic (though markedly shorter arms, too). Don't feel very strongly.

Round 5 (pick 172): This was a real surprise. I hadn't heard of this guy. He's got good measurables and was very productive in terms of getting his hands on the ball, so 'm cautiously optimistic. That said, he's presumably going to have some real adjustment to the league. The position is one where we need to keep adding depth, so fine with it in that sense. I wasn't following the draft closely enough at this point to have feelings on other guys.

Round 6 (pick 187): Glad we doubled up on OL, but no real sense of this guy. I'm a bit concerned that we're adding these 'tweeners. At the end of the day, we could have four new starters along the OL in 2023 as compared to 2021. I don't now how much starting potential these later-round guys have. That said, Burford is fairly athletic and has long arms, and Zakelj has shorter arms, but is really athletic. I've heard some talk about trying him at center, which is interesting. No major problems here.

Round 6 (pick 220): Very intrigued by Davis. He's got really good burst for a guy his size, and shows a nice ability to slip through gaps and get upfield. Obviously a projection, but if he's healthy, he could be a real find.

Round 6 (pick 221): I know others who have seen a lot of Castro-Fields think he's basically worthless, but I think this is the sort of player you take a shot on in the late-6th or 7th round. He's got good size, elite athleticism, and a lot of experience. The latter could be viewed as a negative, as he still has some issues, but nothing to lose at this pick, really. Castro-Fields seems to have tremendous ability, but he's got to clean up his recognition. He was really vulnerable to double moves this past year, and that's something he'll have to resolve. Hopefully our staff coaches him up to protect against that deep ball above all else, and he can refine his skills otherwise.

Round 7 (pick 262) Last pick in the draft, so whatever. And taking a QB makes sense. That said, Purdy is pretty physically limited. Fine to fill that backup role, but as I said day of, I probably would have taken a chance on a guy like Carson Strong, who has serious injury issues, but if healthy, has way more upside. For all Shanahan's success with QBs, I'm not sure I trust his eye for the position at this point, especially in college players.

Anyway, the first pick is by far the most important, and I like that one. Overall, it's a fine draft. It may be setting us up more to fill holes next year than addressing issues this year, but we'll see. Still very concerned about our interior OL and safety depth. Though it seems like Tartt will be available for a while longer if we change our minds about him. And if Mack retires, we could maybe take a look at JC Tretter. Might have to cut a guy like Ebukam to do that, though.

Obviously the priorities now are bringing Lance along and hopefully moving on from Garoppolo. That shoulder injury was a real kick in the crotch. We really needed to move him prior to the draft. And if they do decide to try to keep Garoppolo, they need to ask him to take a pay cut. He won't see anywhere near that kind of money on the open market at this point.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#318 » by Dodub » Sat May 7, 2022 9:18 pm

Lol Dangit, I don’t like agree with that dude at all. Maybe I’m wrong after all lol
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#319 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri May 20, 2022 12:36 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#320 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jun 5, 2022 7:42 pm

NAKOBE DEAN
LB, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

NBC Sports Philadelphia's Reuben Frank writes that third-round LB Nakobe Dean has "dazzled the Eagles’ coaches with his intelligence since the pre-draft process began."

Frank speculates that Dean could wear the green dot as soon as this year, and that the "plan" may be for him to play most of the defensive snaps as he's already learned both Mike and Will linebacker positions. The Eagles are notorious for not picking linebackers high in the draft, so it said a lot when they pegged Dean in the third round. IDP managers should continue to keep an eye on this situation, and Dean could be quite valuable there even in his rookie season.
SOURCE: NBC Sports Philadelphia

Jun 5, 2022, 1:26 PM ET

Return to San Francisco 49ers